Morihalda

03844: Damaris is converted to a fierce pirate babe :D

Can't wait to see what you do with this.  I had to add her to my wishlist now. 

Do you really have to carve down the Quiver that much?  Seems to me you could file the bolt fletchings into more a cone shape, then use green stuff to make a beer stein lid and handle. 

• Like 3

The hat can always have been knocked off, and simply added as lying on the ground.  That will leave the hair pristine.  Or, put a sword handle on the scabbard, and have her hold the hat in her right hand.

Did you want to sculpt the hat or borrow it from an outside source?

Edited by Chris Palmer
  • Like 4

This is going to progress much faster than I anticipated! I expected to have to redo the hand, maybe the arms if I were going to make her sleeveless, try something crazy for the tankard....

I won't have to do any of those things. I dove in with some clippers and I was able to remove the bottom third of the quiver, mostly smooth out the top part of it, remove all but the center of crossbow, and flatten out the stone a bit. I can tilt the hand slightly and rebuild the thumb and forefinger when I sculpt the pistol.

Tomorrow I will sculpt the things! From the hat angles from the previous post, which do y'all think fits best? Should I take them again in full body poses, to see how it affects the mini overall?

30020212_585662271809862_342782210_n.jpg.8463032e7888048b78618bfd2c58eab3.jpg

• Like 15

I like the idea of holding the hat in her hand.

Aside that, I would go for option 3 as well.

*** Great another female pirate mini I need to buy***

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I vote for the 1st hat position. Is that the full size of the hat? Fancy British hats may be pinned to the top of a crazy hair-do, but most hats, including pirate hats, would sit around the crown of the head - on a person, perhaps ~1/2 - 1in over the eyebrows, ~1/2 in over the ears, and then around the widest part of the back of the head (roughly). Some folks wear their hats a bit further back, but that wasn't for pirate hats as much as fedoras.

She's going to be seeing some wind, so having more areas to have friction on her head will be good for holding the hat in place! The jaunty angle, whichever you pick, will be awesome. Pirates need the jaunty angles! Even moreso for pirate lasses - lasses get to have asymmetry fun! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

@Cyradis oooh, another combo breaker! :) All good points. Yep, the hat will be larger and lower, but since the edges will curl up a bit and I'd need to grind down the hair a tad to sit better, I just went with a pancake for testing. :lol:

• Like 3

Mmmm pancakes. Now I want pancakes!! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Kev!
      Howdy,

International Mini Painting Month - Day 7

Kev!
    • By Morihalda
      Alternative Title:
      How Morihalda Achieved Maximum Distraction from 14 Other WIP Threads: A Story.

Chapter One
      6 November. My husband and I went on a date to the museum. We always have so much fun there and learn so many new things! I saw an absolutely gorgeous snake and thought, "Wow, that would be an excellent dragon pattern. OH WOW Ma'al could be five different reptile patterns!!" I'd been wanting to do a skeletal or blacklight theme for him for forever, but I decided those would be better suited on a smaller dragon.

I spent some time that night researching snakes, lizards (and the occasional amphibian), and habitats before settling on some patterns. I spent a few more hours cleaning up mold lines and convincing myself that I don't need to resculpt these perfect heads!

Red - Fire Skink
      Black - Lace Monitor
      Green - Green Iguana
      Blue - Blue Tree Monitor
      White - Blue tongue Skink
      Body - Fire Skink

This Boelen's Python didn't make the cut since I settled on lizards, but look at that good son! He's going to be my black dragon one day. 

The red fire skink will be inspiration for both the red head and body. It has so many amazing colors that will help bring all the faces together. I'm thinking the wings will be muted on the underside to match the black and white heads and more fire skink on the top. This means the black and white heads need to be the middle level heads - there's a beautiful curve from them leading to each wing.

My tentative color blocking. Good enough for an art gallery, yeah? ;)

Chapter Two
      7 November. I spent over three hours this afternoon pinning, gluing, and green stuffing specific sections. The wing gaps and one of the legs are pretty rough, but the head scales perfectly cover the neck scales! Almost like it was planned.  

Chapter Three
      8 November. I am still prepping. There is still barely enough done to warrant a forum post. All I have to show you are stabby holes in my hands (yes I will be using a holder/lazy Susan when painting, but I need all the angles while sculpting). Either I got one that was a little uneven or I'm just way more picky than some folks, but I have had a ton of gap filling to do for the legs.

How did some of you do this in 7 days?! Someone send me rations and supplies to survive!  

• By Morihalda
      Whoo! I primed these all last month after ReaperCon. And then they just sat there while I finished other stuff. But now my desk is clear and I'm ready for more art!

I am solidly in the "paint a solid color on the mini with a little shadow and highlight because I wanna play or sculpt" category. I also feel like I could have given my most recent sculpt a lot more love simply by not just painting her all the same shade of brown, haha!

So I've gathered up my paint, a handful of bones minis, my notes from Rhonda, Derek, and Erin, and now it's time to learn how to paint skin! I'm really excited to try out different expressions, skintones, and lighting. I went ahead and primed them so if we need them for any games, they won't have blinding white clothes on. I'm not certain on all the names, but all except maybe 1 or 2 of these were from my Bones III Kickstarter order.

I don't want to get pinged for nudity, so I gave this dryad a cute little Space Age dress in case she accidentally gets in the frame while I'm working on other pieces.

I'm pretty pleased with it. ;)
    • By Chris Palmer
      I finished my Damaris Walmund, Duskwarden, yesterday. I painted her to look Elf-like, since she will be joining my Ghost Archipelago all-Elf crew in the role of a Hunter. I'm really pleased with this one; it's about as good as I can manage.
         The jacket is Folk Art Color Shift paint, which turned out pretty neat as a pearly metallic, but I don't see much color shifting in it.    I tried for a strawberry blond on the hair, but it ended up going more pinkish; not that that's a bad thing. 
         Her face was a challenge, particularly the way the vest collar partially obscures part of the mouth and the hair partially overhangs the eyes.  For some reason painting parts of things is harder than painting the whole...   And I noticed in the photos that here's a little bleb of dark paint over her left eye.  Oh, well, consider it a birthmark, as I am not going back in and repairing it at this point and risk messing up the whole thing! 

On the base, I attempted to blend her integral cobbled base into a grassy surrounding by adding some loose cobbles around it, cut from a bit of Bones sprue, as if it was part of some ruined floor for path and slowly breaking apart.

• By Morihalda
      Hey all! This thread will be about my sculpting journey. I hope that by showing the time and effort it takes it pursue an art, others would be excited about trying it without getting discouraged by the climb up. I plan on posting daily here - I might as well continue my daily art streak!

Some days might have some cool stuff, but many will probably be like, "Oh man. I sculpted a lot of fur today. A. Lot."
      Anyways. Hopefully y'all will get some enjoyment out of it. Here's to day 1 (tomorrow)!

Comments and praise are appreciated, but please give critiques too!

Links to Sculpting Posts:
      Anatomy Practice Skeleton:
      06/19/17     06/20/17     06/21/17    06/22/17     06/23/17     06/24/17     06/25/17 RIP in pieces

First and Second Miniatures:
      06/26/17     06/27/17     06/28/17     06/29/17     06/30/17     07/01/17     07/02/17     
      Week 2. Nearly nonexistent. OUCH. I snuck in a little art doodle time to not break my streak!   
      07/10/17    07/12/17      07/13/17     07/18/17

Anatomy and Drapery Studies:
      Hogarth Mini 2 - legs and feet
      Pelvis Day

Sculpting a Bust (Nerali Fendyn, Dunmer inspired):
      Collect references and sketches!
      Armature
      Practice with Fimo
      And we're practicing....
      I ran out time to practice! Here's the body.
      The Face: Part 1, Part 2
      Kill it all, restart a million times over a week.
      The Hair: Part 1, Part 2
      Finished!
      Critiques

Sculpting a 72mm Figure (Sora Swifthistle, Sylvari):
      Collect references and sketches!
      The Armature: Part 1, Part 2 
      Legs: Part 1, Part 2

54mm Skeleton
      The armature and hips        Legs
      Tiny watering can                Arms

Conversions
      03844: Damaris (Maeryn/Maria Rumbeard) Different thread.
  • Who's Online   23 Members, 4 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)