Morihalda

03844: Damaris is converted to a fierce pirate babe :D

I Will vote for hat-position number one.

The deck planks looks great, and great conversion in all.

• Thanks 1

Her arm. Will not. Stop. Falling. Off.

I have super glued and pinned and green stuffed her arm six times over four days.

I decided to leave it alone for this whole week.

• Sad 8

Knew a guy who rebuilt part if a transmission  case with jb weld then milled it down ... still holding strong .

Is the pistol flintlock or wheel lock ... cant tell from photo ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Humansquish said:

JB Qwik will solve the arm problem. It's what I use to build my dragons.

I will admit that I normally use epoxy on my metal minis.  You do have to be willing to hold things for a few minutes, though.

ETA - Meant to say that your wood planking looks amazing!  It's a small detail but it really brings things up a level.  

Edited by LittleBluberry
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

One trick that I have used in the past is to use baking soda.  I will usually put a drop of super glue in the recessed part of the model and then I will dip the other part in some baking soda.  Stick the two together and hold. It is a pretty fast reaction so you will want to make sure you move quickly.  It is a pretty cheap and easy solution to this problem. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Humansquish said:

JB Qwik will solve the arm problem. It's what I use to build my dragons.

I might have some of that in the garage somewhere.... My green stuff was not happy to stay put, even after leaving it alone for a few days.

16 hours ago, Boaz said:

Knew a guy who rebuilt part if a transmission  case with jb weld then milled it down ... still holding strong .

Is the pistol flintlock or wheel lock ... cant tell from photo ?

It will be a flintlock! I haven't been able to work on it yet since the arm keeps falling off.

15 hours ago, LittleBluberry said:

I will admit that I normally use epoxy on my metal minis.  You do have to be willing to hold things for a few minutes, though.

ETA - Meant to say that your wood planking looks amazing!  It's a small detail but it really brings things up a level.  

Thanks! I uh... I think I might be removing it though. James Wappel had a cool post about mini dioramas on his website and I immediately went, "oooooooh...." :lol:  

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, cdorf said:

One trick that I have used in the past is to use baking soda.  I will usually put a drop of super glue in the recessed part of the model and then I will dip the other part in some baking soda.  Stick the two together and hold. It is a pretty fast reaction so you will want to make sure you move quickly.  It is a pretty cheap and easy solution to this problem. 

I love that trick! I learned it at Reapercon last year; it's amazing. ::):

Her arm is so teeny though that any solid drop of glue would just look bulky and awful and my hands aren't steady enough to do like a "half-drop" with a toothpick.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Morihalda said:

Thanks! I uh... I think I might be removing it though. James Wappel had a cool post about mini dioramas on his website and I immediately went, "oooooooh...." :lol:  

Whatever makes it fun is my philosophy.  ^_^  The lantern instead of a tankard was also a nice choice, drinking is for *after* the adventuring! 

• Like 3

Most hats have feathers on the left side. Women's hats sometimes have the button and feathers on the right side. Since she's a pirate, she probably doesn't care about seeming lady-like, so the feathers would be on the left. If you want to go with hat-fashion stuff that is :poke:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Chris Palmer
      I finished my Damaris Walmund, Duskwarden, yesterday. I painted her to look Elf-like, since she will be joining my Ghost Archipelago all-Elf crew in the role of a Hunter. I'm really pleased with this one; it's about as good as I can manage.
         The jacket is Folk Art Color Shift paint, which turned out pretty neat as a pearly metallic, but I don't see much color shifting in it.    I tried for a strawberry blond on the hair, but it ended up going more pinkish; not that that's a bad thing. 
         Her face was a challenge, particularly the way the vest collar partially obscures part of the mouth and the hair partially overhangs the eyes.  For some reason painting parts of things is harder than painting the whole...   And I noticed in the photos that here's a little bleb of dark paint over her left eye.  Oh, well, consider it a birthmark, as I am not going back in and repairing it at this point and risk messing up the whole thing! 

On the base, I attempted to blend her integral cobbled base into a grassy surrounding by adding some loose cobbles around it, cut from a bit of Bones sprue, as if it was part of some ruined floor for path and slowly breaking apart.

• By Morihalda
      Hey all! This thread will be about my sculpting journey. I hope that by showing the time and effort it takes it pursue an art, others would be excited about trying it without getting discouraged by the climb up. I plan on posting daily here - I might as well continue my daily art streak!

Some days might have some cool stuff, but many will probably be like, "Oh man. I sculpted a lot of fur today. A. Lot."
      Anyways. Hopefully y'all will get some enjoyment out of it. Here's to day 1 (tomorrow)!

Comments and praise are appreciated, but please give critiques too!

Links to Sculpting Posts:
      Anatomy Practice Skeleton:
      06/19/17     06/20/17     06/21/17    06/22/17     06/23/17     06/24/17     06/25/17 RIP in pieces

First and Second Miniatures:
      06/26/17     06/27/17     06/28/17     06/29/17     06/30/17     07/01/17     07/02/17     
      Week 2. Nearly nonexistent. OUCH. I snuck in a little art doodle time to not break my streak!   
      07/10/17    07/12/17      07/13/17     07/18/17

Anatomy and Drapery Studies:
      Hogarth Mini 2 - legs and feet
      Pelvis Day

Sculpting a Bust (Nerali Fendyn, Dunmer inspired):
      Collect references and sketches!
      Armature
      Practice with Fimo
      And we're practicing....
      I ran out time to practice! Here's the body.
      The Face: Part 1, Part 2
      Kill it all, restart a million times over a week.
      The Hair: Part 1, Part 2
      Finished!
      Critiques

Sculpting a 72mm Figure (Sora Swifthistle, Sylvari):
      Collect references and sketches!
      The Armature: Part 1, Part 2 
      Legs: Part 1, Part 2

54mm Skeleton
      The armature and hips        Legs
      Tiny watering can                Arms

Conversions
      03844: Damaris (Maeryn/Maria Rumbeard) Different thread.
    • By Geoff Davis
      Damaris Walmund, Duskwarden.  Another project brought back from my shelf of shame.  I originally started painting her as a 'genasi' for the Princes of the Apocalypse campaign for D&D, but after I got done the blue skin I couldn't figure out what colours to paint the rest of her.  I think that is one of the main reasons I end up not finishing miniatures -- I can't picture what they are going to look like finished so I'm can't figure out what step to take next.  However, I just got the violet red triad in the mail, so I had to give the paint a try on something.  Here she is, ready to take on her enemies (aka the PC's in my D&D game).  Comments and criticism are welcome as always.

• By aku-chan
      Presenting Jakob Knochengard - Zombie Slayer, the first finished mini from my Dreadmere Begins WIP thread.

I've been really taken with the minis Reaper have been producing for their Dreadmere setting, hopefully a few more of the ones they're doing for Bones 4 get released in metal.

As always, any comments or criticisms are warmly received.
    • By Morihalda
      Hello art family! Y'all might remember my 2016 thread, where I focused on making a habit of drawing every day. 2017 was wild and I decided against a thread here, but I have continued that art streak through this year with a slight change - painting and sculpting was allowed to sustain that miniatures habit.  

I'm getting a bit of a headstart with my 2018 thread! I'd love to learn some fancy traditional art school basics, and I think a lot of these things transfer over to most any type of art, like mini painting and sculpting.
      I see lots of friends here talking about color, lighting, and MORE CONTRAST, and I think we should check those cool things out!

When I start a new subject, I will list (but not link) books, websites, or other references so you can follow along if you'd like.  

Mori's Learning List!
      1. The Learning Mindset
      2. Proportions - The Head 
      3. Proportions - The Body
      4. Anatomy 
  • Who's Online   31 Members, 2 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)