Zapntoo

Beholder, Wrath of Ashardalon

Welcome to the forum.

Well done!

Looks good!

• Like 1

Effective use of washes and a nice result. Do you varnish your figures when you finish them? Perhaps try adding the blood to the teeth after they are varnished.

• Like 1

A wash isn't meant to be a thick layer in general. Putting it on the high points only, instead of letting it sink into nooks and crannies, will make it behave a bit like a glaze instead - not much pigment there, hence the Dry Blood looking pinkish. If that's your goal, awesome! If you want them bloody, use slightly thinned red paint (such as Reaper's Blood Red) to paint blood onto the tips of the teeth. You may also consider Citadel's Blood for the Blood Gods, which is a glossy red meant to be used as blood - but some folks don't like the gloss aspect. 

Welcome to painting and the forums! You're well on your way to lots of awesome figures ::D:

• Like 1

I wouldn't use a spray varnish on the Wrath of Ashardalon figures.  I did that once.

Once.

That figure is still sticky to this day, and I painted it in 2011.

So the varnish thing has me confused.. scares me to think when you go and try to protect your mini from the grubby hand gang. Your results may vary and you will wish you had just left it. I was going to buy the Krylon matte spray varnish cause I have good results with Krylon products in general. What do you folks think?

Yes, the one I did paint I used my usual duplicolor primer, and sealed with krylon matte acrylic spray.  It's typically the propellants in the cans that create the stickyness issues. I would recommend a brush on sealer or matte medium.