lazylathe

Lazylathe's painting adventures...

I will be posting my WIP's here as i just start setting foot on this journey to learn how to paint!

With ZERO experience in paint, colors, color matching actually anything related to painting, except the general room wall painting.

So far with one mini completed, the bug has started to release it's venom into my bloodstream...The addiction is real!

I started out with a GW WarHammer 40k Intercessors paint kit, 3 simple to assemble minis with paint and a brush.

Not a fan of GW paints already...My second mini is looking much better using my Testors paints from Michaels.

My Reaper HD paint sets #1 and 2 arrived after i had started on #2... I will use the Reaper paints on the last mini!

Here is #1, primed with Tamiya fine grey primer and painted with the included brush in the kit!

5unAZFo.jpg9AEeN9V.jpgaj9DbLr.jpgCnHUV7v.jpg

As you can see i had problems with the wash, never used one before... It is too thick and just made the mini look too dirty! Next time i will flow it into recesses using a small brush.

Next one i plan on adding a lot more detail and edge highlighting etc...

Of course i will be asking for help along the way!!

And here is the primed 2nd mini.

7JOEgBR.jpg

This time i joined the 2 large pieces together and am repairing the seam lines before painting. The last one has the gap and looks bad, good to learn from!

I will glue the head on once completed.

• Like 16

That marine is a good start, even with the misbehaving wash he looks pretty crisp.  Given the clean work on his bronzey trimmings and miscellaneous gear, I think you'll refine the basics quickly as you get a feel for the paint.  Once you tame the paint I suspect you'll improve rapidly because it looks like you've got good instincts. 

• Like 5

As Buglips just mentioned, you're off to a very good start; your marine is miles better than my first painted mini! Keep up the good work.:winkthumbs:

GW paints can be ok, but there is also a very steep learning curve with them. I have a few of them and I don't intend to replace them once they're gone. That said, definitely keep experimenting to find paints that you like and give you good results.

The most important thing to remember about painting: If you're having fun, you're doing it right.

Welcome to the forums!::):

• Like 5

Not much done today unfortunately, spent most of the day driving my wife to her medical appointments and waiting in the car.

Looks like i need a portable painting station!

Did a few minor touch ups here and there on the arms and a few details.

I am learning to not paint when i am tired, it just gets frustrating! So off to walk my Border Collie and play some Frisbee with him!

I am quite liking the Testors paint so far, vibrant color blue and goes on nicely.

jiZ0gU8.jpgN5vHv54.jpg

Still touch ups to do but it is looking a lot better than #1 already. I really am enjoying adding more of the smaller detail pieces as well!

What kind of brush would one use to attempt painting symbols or letters? The kit did not come with any water slides or decals but show an ohm sign on the shoulders.

I know in real life those brushes are quite long and thin, does this translate to what we are doing as well?

Or is it just whatever works for you?

• Like 5

The long, thin brush I think you're talking about is a pinstripe brush.  That may be a little long for this sort of work (though I've never tried it).  A good quality Kolinsky sable brush, somewhere between size 2/0 and size 1 (smaller to larger) would be best for that sort of task.  Which way you prefer is mostly a matter of which you find more comfortable.  A larger brush would hold more paint for a longer usable time, letting you essentially draw with it, but a smaller brush might be easier to manipulate around the figure. 

I tend toward smaller brushes, but some people prefer larger. 

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, buglips*the*goblin said:

The long, thin brush I think you're talking about is a pinstripe brush.  That may be a little long for this sort of work (though I've never tried it).  A good quality Kolinsky sable brush, somewhere between size 2/0 and size 1 (smaller to larger) would be best for that sort of task.  Which way you prefer is mostly a matter of which you find more comfortable.  A larger brush would hold more paint for a longer usable time, letting you essentially draw with it, but a smaller brush might be easier to manipulate around the figure. 

I tend toward smaller brushes, but some people prefer larger. 

That's the brush! I used to love watching American Restoration and the pinstripe guy was just amazing at freehand work!

I decided to try a new Citadel brush... It had this long thread coming out the tip, so i cit it off just at the tip of the brush.

This caused it to split into a snake tongue and want to remain that way...

Time to invest in some quality brushes that keep their shape!

Thanks for the brush sizes, another area i need to figure out the jargon of sizes!

There is a bit of hobby jargon but you'll pick it up.  If you see something you don't get, just ask and somebody (or a bunch of sombodies) will explain it.

For brush sizes you can think of 0 as the default.  Size 1 and 2 (and up) are progressively larger, 2/0 and 3/0 and so on are progressively smaller.

These units are approximate and may vary a bit between manufacturers.  Reaper's 5/0, for example, is about equal to the Rosemary & Co 2/0.

Brushes larger than size 3 and smaller than 10/0 may be of less utility.  The 3 being quite large and the 20/0 or 30/0 too small to hold much paint.  This is just in general, though, you may find special uses for these sizes outside the average.  

• Like 3

Reaper have brushes down to 30/0 (I know, I have one), and frankly, it's too small to be useful.

It holds so little paint that it dries in the brush almost instantly unless the air humidity is pretty darn high. 

A GOOD #0 brush like a Rosemary & Co series 33 has a point that's almost needlesharp, but still holds a lot of paint.

(It's what I prefer to use)

Add a 3/0, possibly a #1 or #2, and a few Filberts (a #2 as it's the smallest, and maybe a #4 or #6) for large flat areas, and you should be pretty well covered.

Search eBay and you might come across a Chinese seller that sells cheap #0 brushes in 10packs. They're crappy, but they're also dirt cheap, and good for priming and varnish. you know, stuff that you don't want to do with your good brushes.

(I think I bought 5 such packs at one time... )

Also, get some brush soap.

(I use The Masters Brush soap)

You may not 'need' to use it after every session, if you rinse them out properly, but once in a while is good for them.

(If you used them for metallics, then yeah, it's a necessity.)

Many people keep two rinse cups, one for normal and one for metallic paints. Others just do normal paints, then metallics, then clean the single cup.

And some even have dedicated brushes for metallics.

(And if using a solid soap like The Masters, have a separate one for cleaning the metallics)

Portable Painting Station? 

Consider getting one of the Learn To Paint Kits (shortened to LTPKs here on the forum), the holidays kit if it appears again in december. They all come in nice Pistol Cases with a foam inlay that holds paint bottles and brushes securely.

• Like 3

I second the recomendation for brush soap (or any other brush cleaner). 

Personally I learned about brush sizes and types by going to an art store and looking at the brushes, then if I did not understand what a brush was I would search its name on my phone.

For brushes I would recommend having a selection of cheap and expensive brushes. The sizes I like using are 1, 2 and 6 for painting. 
You may also find a tiny brush, for when you want to make a tiny dot (10/0 to 00) usefull. It can be used to set the location of corners for freehanding extremly small designs. 

Buglips I disagree with your statement about size 3 brushes. Personally I found to have had no problem using size 6 brushes when painting miniatures. A larger brush is able to hold more paint in the bristles, increasing the working time (as you allready said). The most important thing about a brush is its tip.

Thought with larger brushes you may have problems reaching certain parts of the model without touching any other section, this is not that big of a disadvantage since you normally should have another brush that can do it. Overall, I find that the biggest disadvantage of larger brushes is the cost of good quality ones. 

• Like 1

Nice!

I also recommend a few decent brushes, Winsor and Newton/ Rosemary/ Kolinksy, a nr. 0 and a 1 will get you a long way.

Don't use your good brushes for primeing/ drybrushing or terrain.

Keep them in good shape.

You have skills, but they will only do you good if you also use the right tools.

Also stock up on some cheaper brushes for the drybrush/terrain/primer thing, cause this will kill brushes.

As been mentioned some brush soap/cleaner.

Most important: HAVE FUN!

• Like 2

Just a small update today, not been feeling the greatest the last few days and today i am sloooow...

Anyway managed to get a bit of painting done before being sidetracked...

I received  two free packs of mini's when i purchased my Reaper Paint sets, they were placed to one side.

Today they caught my attention, which apparently was a few seconds, and I needed to have a closer look.

Next I know the package is open and i am removing mold lines and giving it a good look. I picked up the dude with the shield.

WOW is it tiny!! 1/2 the size of the guy i am painting now and i thought he was pretty difficult! LOL!

I think Dungeon Dweller will be next on the list using the Reaper paints!

Hoping to paint more later today!

3l7u35a.jpg

• Like 10

Small and detailed?

You may not want to look too closely at Oathsworn's Burrows & Badgers, Midlams current KS or even Reaper's Mouslings(in Metal, not Bones)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I'm guessing there's been another scale creep with the new Games Workshop Space Marines, especially their Primaris minis?  Rictus is effectively the same height as the ones from my Battle For Maccragge set, and slightly taller than the ones from the 3rd edition starter.

Pic behind spoiler as this isn't my thread, apologies for it being a phone pic (including the clutter on my desk atm, or more specifically, what'son the cutting mat) and the minis primed in black with a semi-thick coat of dust. 

Spoiler

20180407_123156.thumb.jpg.cab2fbb55f36e4b27668ea2552c81923.jpg

^Battle for Maccragge marine on left, Rictus in the middle, and 3rd edition box set marine on the right.

At least I think it's the Maccragge space marine on the left, I don't recall having purchased any, and from the quick pics I see online they didn't come on slotta bases like previous editions did.  Unless I actually did buy a boxed set of Space Marines, in which case guy on the left would be from the 2004-2006 timeframe.

EDIT: The reason why I suspect them being a tad bigger than a decade ago is a lot of the new marines are now on 32mm bases, instead of the old 25mm ones, and apparently they still fill said bases fairly well.

Edited by WhiteWulfe
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, WhiteWulfe said:

I'm guessing there's been another scale creep with the new Games Workshop Space Marines, especially their Primaris minis?  Rictus is effectively the same height as the ones from my Battle For Maccragge set, and slightly taller than the ones from the 3rd edition starter.

Pic behind spoiler as this isn't my thread, apologies for it being a phone pic (including the clutter on my desk atm, or more specifically, what'son the cutting mat) and the minis primed in black with a semi-thick coat of dust. 

Hide contents

20180407_123156.thumb.jpg.cab2fbb55f36e4b27668ea2552c81923.jpg

^Battle for Maccragge marine on left, Rictus in the middle, and 3rd edition box set marine on the right.

At least I think it's the Maccragge space marine on the left, I don't recall having purchased any, and from the quick pics I see online they didn't come on slotta bases like previous editions did.  Unless I actually did buy a boxed set of Space Marines, in which case guy on the left would be from the 2004-2006 timeframe.

EDIT: The reason why I suspect them being a tad bigger than a decade ago is a lot of the new marines are now on 32mm bases, instead of the old 25mm ones, and apparently they still fill said bases fairly well.

No worries about posting pics here, please go ahead!

I just measured my Intercessor and he stands at 42mm. Since it was the first mini I have seen, it looked small, until now! And then I see the 10mm ones...

The base is 32mm.

So i guess I am panting on a large scale still!

Managed a few more coats and details, more tomorrow!

• Like 1