Hopefully the first of many, this was an experiment in color - in this case, green. And while his wide stance was a problem at first, I made it work. Karahl Farstep:

8B5E94F1-DFBE-4E85-8E94-799639F3C75B.jpeg.ea01b7feaad10164ad2b95db005abd95.jpeg64B897EA-81AF-43D5-B948-E3AC2D2D4043.jpeg.41bafdf9bcc7430aaebe8cc04a030182.jpeg

Hood and cloak are both a mix of Brilliant Green and Linen White, 3:1 for the darker areas and 1:2 everywhere else. The cloak is shadowed with purple (thanks, @Cyradis!), and I think it came out pretty nicely in front. Had to redo the back due to becoming shadow happy.

For the light greens I was hoping to achieve something close to mint green, but it came out a lot more washed out and boring than hoped. So I freehanded borders around those parts with some Palomino Gold. Not daring enough to do anything fancier than that yet, but I think it makes a positive difference.

Comments and critiques welcome, I’d like to know what works or doesn’t, and what to try and do better next time.

Edited by Sophie was taken
  • Like 22

Yay for purple shadows! It looks good! My suggestion would be to continue further - get a nice dark, nearly black purple (Nightshade Purple is my favorite) to line the under-edge where the hood meets the cloak, and to use that purple for deepest creases in the cloak. You can mix it with the green to create blend colors - it will look a bit weird, but the desaturated green-purple-brown will be pretty neato. On the peaks you can mix the green with some linen white (or white, or whatever almost-white is closest to your hand, lol). Brightening the tops will make the shadows more prominent too. 

I like your overall color scheme and the golden trim on the cloak. The colors place nicely together ::D: I'm also just plain a fan of purple and green. I have several projects with purple and green as the main colors because they're just so good! 

• Like 2

Nightmare Black is the blue-black. Nightshade purple is a very very dark purple, near black. The purple is pretty desaturated, as opposed to the vivid blue in Nightmare Black.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Cyradis said:

Nightmare Black is the blue-black. Nightshade purple is a very very dark purple, near black. The purple is pretty desaturated, as opposed to the vivid blue in Nightmare Black.

It is Nightmare Black. Keep forgetting to expand my purple collection :unsure:

• Like 1

Honestly, Nightmare Black belongs in the Blue section, and Nightshade Purple belongs in the Black section, lol. Usually I don't break color triads for dark shades, but Nightshade Purple is sorted into Black in my bins. It is about as purple as Walnut Brown is brown. They mix as purple and brown, and thin purple and brown respectively, but left on their own are black. For reference on what Nightshade Purple can do with green (and the project that started my nightshade purple-mixing obsession thanks to the Colorado folks) see the hidden. 

The greens are the Olive Green triad, mixed with I believe Linen White to the highlight color at the peaks, and with Nightshade Purple to the shadow color for the deepest shadows. It doesn't take much at all due to being so much darker than the olive triad. Just a wee bit popped in there. Alternatively, thinned a ton to just a tint.

gEYwL0h.jpg

• Like 3