Boaz

Kulathi Force and Terrain

Started building a Kulathi battle force and colony outpost for their Kuden-3 outpost, in the Beehive star cluster, in the crab nebula ... 

Having 3 fingers a hand and 6 limbs the number system fore the Kulathi is based on 6 ... with 2,3 and 4 also prominent, so I based there units on 6 ...

An officer (2 pistols = smg) 3 left hand smg and 2 right hand automatic rifles make a strike team ... no other unit types teams can exceed the number of strike teams.

The fire team has 1 officer 1 smg and 4 auto rifles ... a longer ranged bite.

I'm also adding a few hound of Tindalos units (4 with 1 smg and 1 officer kulathi) with bigger things in the works ...

KulathiAdvance.jpg

KuEmerge.jpg

Edited by Boaz
  • Like 15

The lower "den doors" are entry / exit points to their underground grottoes and tunnel systems ... one basic sized unit can enter or exit a turn ...

The taller "vents" help to regulate air flow in the underground grottoes and can be used as doors by a few unit types ... 

The "overgrown" doors are part of the Terra forming process and part of the grotto development cycle of growth ...

Also in development is a larger "main entrance" enabling multiple unit deployment or larger ... things ... to come and go ... also a watch tower to keep an eye on key areas and provide a prime fire support spotting position.

DensGrow.jpg

DenLargeFreshtexture.jpg

DenTowerFreshtexture.jpg

• Like 14

Thanks for the replies ... it all started with a few wonderful sculptures by Bob Ridolfi (kulathi) and Kevin Williams (Hounds of Tindalos) ... and some pvc pipe , pvc round outlet covers , pvc glue ...

Once the basics where glues together some 'Flexall' as a gap filler (like spackle but dries much stronger and has a nice grain to it) and a lil foaming gorilla glue around the top rims to round them off ... a lil run down the sides for the organic look ... 

Base coat, texture coat and ready for paint and or wash ... and maybe some hot glues aquarium shrubbery to top it off. 

DenPvcStart.jpg

DenFixens.jpg

• Like 7

Nice - I'll have to remember this for when I start on my own Kulathi force.

The Den cluster grows as its background concepts develop (in the sci-fi section) more paint ... and more drying time , if only I had more work space I could have more things drying at once ... atm, terrain and a Kuden sand worm (paper and glue only at this point, almost ready for the spackle) ...

DenOutpost.jpg

DenTable.jpg

• Like 6

Looking over the set so far I'm lacking shrubbery ... the set is designed to blend into a desert / ruins setup but it seems lacking on foliage ... expansion start up plants ... sooo ... I'll be adding some den "sprouts" ...

Painting and basing on the rest of the set going on in the background ...

As for the Kulathi main force ... a load of hounds showed up and waiting for the bases to show ... I'll be fielding 6-8 units and 4+ command options very soon ... pics to follow super basic wash and dry brush paint scem designed to blow out an army asap ... and hide abismal lack of painting skills.

DenSprouts.jpg

• Like 5

Gotta luv the drying time of pvc glue ... on to the next step ...

DenSproutPrep.jpg

• Like 6

The latest additions to planet Kuden ...

DenNewGen.thumb.jpg.c4c8ca6965641742d49f7483de28920a.jpg

With one of the prototypes in the back left corner ... it now adds up to a good amount of table space ... but I'm thinking some generic desert / planes terrain in the same base style would round the set out ... 

• Like 7

Looking my Kuden terrain set over it needs some none Kulathi parts to it ... Started with a fish tank piece I had setting around ... change the plantd, match the base cover with rest of set, repaint the green moss to a Kuden color and ...

KudenGate.thumb.jpg.eb0dbff6c012c9d529ed6158aaa2e55b.jpg

Repurposed and bonus, can be used as a gateway to other world's ... battle for the gate ? 

• Like 5

The Kuden landscape expands ... in the for ground the boneyard , difficult terrain for walking movement,  dangerous terrain for ground based vehicles (other than walkers and skimmers) ... in the background , something I should have painted before I based ... yes I make mistakes, lots if then, I call it the learning curve and try to not repeat mistakes ... it sometimes works ... the wreaked ship parts are from the lost to the OOP game Vor the Maelstrom,  as is my Growler force ...

KudenShipwreck.thumb.jpg.0e8fc6965eff061b8bac2044ba85c113.jpg

Edited by Boaz
  • Like 4

My bases finally showed up ... 2 new units for painting ...

KulathiHoundTeams.thumb.jpg.02b9d81b747adb5ca2f1a66bef0f79f4.jpg

Edited by Boaz
  • Like 2

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Jordan Peacock
      For a change, I'm actually getting to PLAY, rather than be the GM: one of my veteran players is taking over in order to run a Pathfinder RPG campaign -- the "Kingmaker" campaign - -while I take something of a break.  However, I can't just take a break completely, so even though the GM has a bunch of pre-painted Pathfinder and D&D minis at the ready for the campaign, and is using printed battle maps, I have been focusing on kit-bashing and painting minis for the PCs (and eventually whatever companions and cohorts they pick up on the way).

Recently, the adventurers acquired a wagon after defeating a bunch of bandits.  It was a wagon in pretty sad shape, but they fixed it up, and hitched up a couple of horses "liberated" from the bandits.  This has made it a lot easier to tend to their assigned task of exploring an area known as the "Greenbelt" -- hunting down monsters (or, in the case of the kobolds, making peace with them), and dealing with rampant banditry.

From left to right (rear row):
      * Human Paladin Sir Greys (Reaper #77197, "Erick Paladin Initiate")
      * Elven Kineticist Selana Kelsa (Reaper #77036, "Devona Female Wizard")
      * Gnomish Rogue Lis (composite of old Mage Knight miniature pieces)
      * Grippli Oracle Chirp Meadowsong (Reaper #77165, "Hellakin Goregutter," with head swap from Reaper #77268, "Squog Warriors")
      * Kitsune Magus Yuri (Reaper #77473, "Kogo Male Kitsune")
      * Half-Orc Sorcerer Gruush (Mage Knight Minions #065 "Medicine Troll")

Foreground:
      * Human Warden* [spell-less Ranger variant] Rook Greys (Reaper #77320, "Galadanoth Elf Sniper")

The horses are a couple of plastic Games Workshop Warhammer Fantasy Battle horses (presumably from some sort of Empire set).  I had some "bitz boxes" out in the garage that I picked up at a game bazaar, including several horses -- either on sprues, or with badly-mangled partly assembled riders stuck to them with overly-caked glue.  I tried assembling a few and "dismounting" a couple more.  The two pictured are just two I randomly picked out for the picture.  (I figured there wasn't much sense in just taking pictures of the horses, since none of them are Reaper; they all need saddles and such.)

The wagon has wheels, cabinets, lanterns, keg, and crates/barrels of Hydrocal castings done with Hirst Arts Castlemolds.  The rest of the wagon is made up of wooden craft sticks (a mix of "popsicle sticks" and "matchsticks"), plus a couple of plastic head-pieces that someone had trimmed off of some Warhammer Fantasy dwarven mining carts for some purpose, and a random plastic shield hung on the side to show the heraldry for "Erastil" (since at least two members of the party -- the Greys cousins -- are followers of Erastil).  I used some epoxy putty to add a cushioned seat for the driver's bench.  I hope to personalize the wagon more as the campaign goes along -- adding trophies, maybe even some more shields or banners with heraldry of the rest of the party, or perhaps even a top for the wagon (if we can afford it, and get it done somehow back at the trading post).

I'm also working on some pieces to represent an adventurer campsite, but they need a little bit more work before I bother taking a photo.  (I tried making some tents with paper, and some others with putty.  Results were ... mixed.)  I suppose that's another thing I could imagine being useful from Bones: an "adventurer tent" (maybe even make it hollow), a "bedroll," and some sort of campfire (in translucent yellow or orange?): bonus points if it has a suspended kettle or a spit over it.  Beds and shelves are great for dungeons, but some scenes happen while the PCs are traveling and their camp gets ambushed by monsters out in the woods.  Or maybe the PCs are the ones doing the ambushing!  :)

• By Boaz
       That right guys and gals their not just for wedding cakes ... I like to fill mine with expanding foam (when I have a few foam projects lined up, the can of foam never works for me later so it's a use it or lose it) chop em up (once dry) and butter the ends with something rough and stout (I used flexall) ... a few examples from a city set I was working on before I moved (still unfinnished) ...

cities abound in hard cover so it's mostly for looks, nice looks but looks ... in a jungle or desert set it's a great way to add hard cover and have an overgrown lost temple (jungle) or lost oasis side ruins (desert) ... it's a simple and straight forward technique to add just the right sized cover in just about any table set you got ...

I got a large bag of them fairly cheap at a craft store (Michesls) a great value for the buck.

P.S. the Grey rubble is old model sprew rum through an old hand crank meat grinder ... who knew modeling could be so much fun !
    • By Boaz
       It's hard to have a desert planet without a sand worm ... but after buying a load of Kulathi and hounds of Tindalos my stash of doubloons are stretched thin so I turned to GM Scotty and his youtube channel "theDMsCraft" (two tentacles up) for a cost effective option ... after viewing his techniques in video #74 DIY purple worm cheap and easy and his video #129 how to make the watcher in the water from LotR ... I'm ready to start crafting ...

Started with a basic TP tube frame and a lil hot glue ... followed with a paper towel and white glue wrap, not all at once as I did not want it to melt into mush, I covered no more than half, spread out, and let dry (the hard part) before applying the next layer , with a few hot glue bridges to help round things out ...

At the same time I started twisting up the tentacles,  then reinforced them with hot glue, as well as shaping and reinforcing the teeth ... glued body to a base to match my Kuden terrain set (could have used cardboard as I made sure it was balanced naturally) then hot glued on teeth cut tenticals to mount at nice angles and ready for next step ...

• By 2nd Dynasty

We currently have a second Kickstarter live at the moment, entitled Starship II - 3D printable OpenLOCK-compatible Deck Plans. The campaign is already over 1300% financed, and we are working on the 8th Stretch Goal.
      If you have a 3D printer, these tiles can really bring your tabletop experience to life, with a strong influences from the designs of Rob Cobb and Kazutaka Miyatake.
      Unpainted PLA at 150 microns  
      Printed on a Flashforge Finder/Creator Pro  
      Unpainted PLA at 150 microns The Sets
      This campaign's featured sets are shown below (these are renderss).
      Stretch Goals Unlocked So Far
      We are now working towards these bonus floor tile types, a grate and plate style in I, S and E tiles  
  • Who's Online   45 Members, 4 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)