Madog Barfog

What does the black cap mean?

I'm sorting my paints to see which incomplete triads I have. One of my colors is Volcanic Orange 9405. I can't find that it's part of a triad. Is that what the black cap means? My fiancée ordered this color for me, so I don't know anything about it.

• Like 1

White is Core colours, and Black is HD and Bones colours, or so it was until recently.

(Bones have approx the same density as HD paints)

They're changing it up a bit now, and have added grey caps. I could try finding the thread where that was mentioned...

EDIT:

Edited by Gadgetman!
  • Like 2

In general, Core (09001-09399) will have white caps, Bones (09401-09454) will have black and HD (29801-29854) will have grey caps.

With the automated paint pumping machine (Audrey) a handful of bottles will be a different color during the change over from one to another color cap.

Core Color line is the only one designed into triads. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Yeah the color of the caps is what made sorting paints a pain because having white and black caps mixed was bothering my wife when she looked at them.  A small thing to worry about but I had to make her happy and we came up with a solution.  Anything with a black cap is off on the far right after I sort all the others by color...and then metallic properties.  Put a pic up in this thread if interested in how it turned out.

I don't have to worry about it (the caps) since I have a "reverse" style paint rack, which has the bottoms showing ^_^ .. It is nice to know the reasoning behind such though! 

.... Of course you then have to shake your paints more often because once you've sorted them by shade (or other method) as things naturally separate s touch over time it starts making ones organization want to... Change things.  That or go "no, NO attempts at tiger stripes in my pack rack, bad oranges!" 

Edited by WhiteWulfe