Froggy the Great

Randomness XIV: THE FLOOR IS LAVA!

45 minutes ago, Pingo said:

So part of this story I'm writing takes place in a biological research facility and part in an airport and I've had to research security procedures and I found some good ones from a laboratory animal research conference and I am pretty sure by now my Google search history looks actionable. :unsure:

We'll understand when your delayed getting to ReaperCon.

What do you mean I'm not permitted to fly?????

• Haha 8

1 minute ago, Tripleh5133 said:

We'll understand when your delayed getting to ReaperCon.

What do you mean I'm not permitted to fly?????

I have not tested that premise since the last time I flew in an airplane, on September 3, 2001. :unsure:

• Sad 7

6 hours ago, Tripleh5133 said:

Speak for yourself. I had the wind, rain, lightning, & power outage here.

While we didn't get power outages, we did get at least one power surge. I was afraid it bricked my computer since it refused to turn back on, but after a few rounds of unplugging, plugging back in, flipping the on/off switch, and turning the surge protector off and on, it finally booted back up. 

Thank goodness; we're already looking at having to replace one car, and likely our phones as well, before the end of the year (due to our habit of using things until they are old and worn out). Adding my ancient desktop to the 'replace very soon' list would have been a bit much. :unsure:

Huzzah! 

--OneBoot :D 

Edited by OneBoot
  • Sad 10

2 hours ago, Cyradis said:

Just remember, you can always add more layers, but there is a finite amount of nudity possible. 

Especially in public!:wow:

• Like 3
  • Haha 6

3 minutes ago, OneBoot said:

, and turning the surge protector off and on,

Be aware that the surge protection circuits in Uninterruptible Power Supplies (UPS) and Surge Protectors can and do deteriorate over time, especially if they're blocking a lot of surges. 

In my industry - car wash - we recommend that our control equipment be plugged into a UPS and that the UPS be replaced annually, which is far more frequently than the UPS manufacturers say.  That's because car washes are really bad environments for electronics, with all the pumps and motors, Variable Frequency Drive controllers, etc all causing brown outs and micro surges.  I've seen UPS's that would last 5-6 years in a home or office environment become unusable and even cause problems for the computers plugged into them inside two years.   The UPS manufacturers tell us that their devices aren't intended for that environment and we know that - but the fact is that our site owners can replace their UPS annually for a decade with one from Best Buy and still not spend as much on the industrial rated ones they'd have to replace every 5-10 years anyway.  Well, the owners that listen to us, anyway - the ones that don't end up buying expensive replacement circuit boards. 

I personally have a "rotation" of UPS's throughout my house.  I have 4 in my office that I have to have my work test sets plugged into, and those get replaced annually. Since I'm in a home office environment, they're still good, but the company I contract to wants me to be careful with their equipment and replace them on the same schedule we recommend to our customers.  So as I replace those, they "trickle down" to my other electronics - my networking equipment and main TV get the year old ones, and the kids TV and game consoles gets the ones from the network and main TV etc.  I also tag them with my date of purchase, and any ones older than five years get disposed of.  Only ever had one of mine display any of the symptoms I've seen at car washes, but then, I usually don't take any chances and let them get that old. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 5

1 minute ago, kristof65 said:

Be aware that the surge protection circuits in Uninterruptible Power Supplies (UPS) and Surge Protectors can and do deteriorate over time, especially if they're blocking a lot of surges.  

Oh, that's an excellent point! I'll add "new surge protector" to my shopping list, since that is far far cheaper than "new computer." We live in an older apartment complex that doesn't have the most stellar wiring (at least half of the apt is on a single breaker, for example :huh:), so outages and the occasional surge do happen. 

Huzzah! 

--OneBoot :D 

• Like 12

13 minutes ago, Chaoswolf said:

Especially in public!:wow:

There are places where the limit is ones own skin. They are few and far between, unless you count your own domicile while the windows are covered. 

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, Cyradis said:

There are places where the limit is ones own skin. They are few and far between, unless you count your own domicile while the windows are covered. 

Well, the real limit is how much you are able to bulk up.  More you = more nudity.

• Like 2
  • Haha 10

22 hours ago, WhiteWulfe said:

And just what have they done wrong with creating flavours for their coffees that their master roaster likes... Even if it seems a good portion of the world considers it too burnt? ::P: 

...No, seriously?  I'm genuinely curious. ^_^ 

Gentlemen prefer blondes.... ::P:

In all honesty, it seems a good portion of Seattle prefers overly roasted dark roast - Seattle's Finest is pretty much the same.

I prefer a lightly roasted bean, that crunches when broken, rather than shatters from being roasted until it is brittle.

Megan prefers a dark roast - but thinks that I make a better coffee, regardless of the roast.

The Auld Grump

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, TheAuldGrump said:

In all honesty, it seems a good portion of Seattle prefers overly roasted dark roast - Seattle's Finest is pretty much the same.

I prefer a lightly roasted bean, that crunches when broken, rather than shatters from being roasted until it is brittle.

Megan prefers a dark roast - but thinks that I make a better coffee, regardless of the roast.

The Auld Grump

I have a friend from Seattle who insists that in Seattle people like actually good coffee and know that "Seattle's 'Best'" is no such thing and that Starbuck's is undrinkable.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Pingo said:

So part of this story I'm writing takes place in a biological research facility and part in an airport and I've had to research security procedures and I found some good ones from a laboratory animal research conference and I am pretty sure by now my Google search history looks actionable. :unsure:

This is pretty much an issue for any good Game Master and/or fiction writer. 

And it could be even worse if you're an Ingress or Pokemon Go player on top of that, because your movements could appear to be suspicious as well. 

Edited by kristof65
  • Like 5
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Paradoxical Mouse said:

Why cold is much, much better than heat.

Ever'body, sing along! -

The Auld Grump

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, TheAuldGrump said:

The Auld Grump

Rune swears up and down that I make a better coffee, even if it's Keurig! 

As for blondes, nah I like things darker, but my coffee preferences lean heavily towards French and/or Dutch methods of roasting... ::P: ... But I'm no gentleman!

... Doesn't stop me from enjoying a good light roast though, I just prefer the extra flavour you get from a dark roast - assuming the bean can handle it.  Roasting Costa Rica beans dark is a sin, for example, because you utterly destroy any flavour they have.  The Mocha Java blends on the other hand, can come out quite delicious when roasted for longer periods of time. 

I'm so not a fan of most third wave coffee roasters versions of "dark" roast though, too many try to keep it similar to their light roasts and it winds up missing the mark.... 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, kristof65 said:

And it could be even worse if you're an Ingress or Pokemon Go player as well, because your movements could appear to be suspicious as well. 

About fifteen years ago, some of my friends and I were at a sandwich shop discussing a Call of Cthulhu game we were all players in, and I was telling one of them 'I can't believe you guys didn't put on gloves before loading your guns! Don't you know they can lift prints from the shells?!'

Before noticing the off duty police officer at the next table.... (We had our books with us, so it wasn't hard to convince him we were talking about a game.)

The Auld Grump

Edited by TheAuldGrump
  • Haha 12

2 minutes ago, kristof65 said:

And it could be even worse if you're an Ingress or Pokemon Go player on top of that, because your movements could appear to be suspicious as well. 

... Could?  Local cops rather enjoy harassing the Ingress players for some reason.  For some weird reason, they leave the Pokemon Go players alone though.  Maybe it's the secretive kind of behaviour a lot of the old guard Ingress players have, since a lot of them distrust cops in general due to being harassed so much over the years. 

I look at them and go "uhm, you do realize you've been walking around, in circles, on Parliament Hill for the hours right?  With your phone out?  Security is going to get antsy to say the least.

Not as bad now that Pokemon Go is out. 

• Like 6