Froggy the Great

Randomness XIV: THE FLOOR IS LAVA!

1 hour ago, Pingo said:

So part of this story I'm writing takes place in a biological research facility and part in an airport and I've had to research security procedures and I found some good ones from a laboratory animal research conference and I am pretty sure by now my Google search history looks actionable. :unsure:

Your friend here:

https://duckduckgo.com/

GEM

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

Well, the real limit is how much you are able to bulk up.  More you = more nudity.

Gotta bulk by volume then. I know that I lose surface area from some prominent points when I "bulk" up. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Lord of the Dish Pit said:

Have fun with it, throw in some searches concerning the Garden Gnome Liberation Front. 

HEY!

As the operator of a Garden Gnome Sanctuary I must strenuously protest.

GEM

• Haha 6

2 minutes ago, TheAuldGrump said:

(We had our books with us, so it wasn't hard to convince him we were talking about a game.)

Sounds like you encountered a reasonable officer, because I've found it can depend on the officer and recent events. If the officer had taken a dislike to one of you, and there had been a recent incident involving a shooting, someone could have ended up being wrongly investigated. 

I have read a couple of police reports on incidents I was witness to where the officer distorted things, and connected all sorts of separate statements and events to paint as negative of a picture as possible.  In one report, the officer basically distilled things said over a 90 minute conversation to look like it was said in a two minute threatening rant. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Lord of the Dish Pit said:

Have fun with it, throw in some searches concerning the Garden Gnome Liberation Front. 

HEY!

GEM

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, WhiteWulfe said:

I look at them and go "uhm, you do realize you've been walking around, in circles, on Parliament Hill for the hours right?  With your phone out?  Security is going to get antsy to say the least.

Not as bad now that Pokemon Go is out. 

When i was playing ingress heavily, it was mostly after 10pm, along with a bunch of other adults who also couldn't get out until their kids/spouse went to bed.   One of the nearby places that had a lot of good portals was an office building with the local congressman's office inside.  Security did NOT like us there at all. 

I think Pokemon Go got more kids playing, and "normalized" it. 

Since Pokemon Go and Ingress all have the same stops, when I go out with my son, he plays Pokemon and I play ingress. If anyone asks, we just say we're both playing Pokemon Go, because more people know about that. 

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Zink said:

Well this definitely counts as random. Got a message from the local restaurant owner wanting to sell my wife the restaurant. It's a small town so I know the lady. Her son played tournament paintball with me for years until he moved away. The only connection my wife ever had to the restaurant was that she tried getting a part time job there and was turned down years ago. The wife also wanted to sell desserts there but they could never come to an agreement. Price is actually reasonable but with a small baby, a farm and 0 restaurant experience I'm not exactly interested. Great opportunity if someone wants to move to rural Saskatchewan. Nice house across the street from me for sale at a good price (not related to the restaurant, just available) and a restaurant.

Moonlight Sonata and Fur Elise are probably my two favourite pieces of classical music.

Speaking as somebody with experience in restaurant management and a B.S. in Hospitality Management you need to be aware that circa 50% of all non chain operations fail within the first three years.

The reason why the franchise operations don't fail at the same or higher rate [notable exception being Subway] is because of the close controls and guardrails placed on new franchisees to help them past the learning curve.

GEM

• Like 7

45 minutes ago, OneBoot said:

Oh, that's an excellent point! I'll add "new surge protector" to my shopping list, since that is far far cheaper than "new computer." We live in an older apartment complex that doesn't have the most stellar wiring (at least half of the apt is on a single breaker, for example :huh:), so outages and the occasional surge do happen. 

Huzzah! 

--OneBoot :D 

Do your self a favor and start saving up for an Uninteruptable Power Supply / Line Conditioner.

When you are dealing with old and now substandard wiring the likelihood of a local power surge is increased.  Even if it doesn't knock out your computer the repeated electrical hammering of the power supply leads to premature failure.  Same for all other electronics.

Case in point, your neighbors older refrigerator.  The starting capacitors degrade over time and even though it still keeps things cold the repeated starting with a weak cap causes a localized brownout on the buildings electrical system.

GEM

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

Speaking as somebody with experience in restaurant management and a B.S. in Hospitality Management you need to be aware that circa 50% of all non chain operations fail within the first three years.

The reason why the franchise operations don't fail at the same or higher rate [notable exception being Subway] is because of the close controls and guardrails placed on new franchisees to help them past the learning curve.

GEM

From just observing local restaurants I'd agree with that statistic. Every once in awhile you see one that has a long term owner, occasionally a family business. The rest swap owners and managers pretty often. The chains last longer but it's often with different people running it. The towns around here are so small that there aren't a lot of chain restaurants. I'll stick to making a mess at my farming because I seem to be able to make a living at that.

• Like 7

Wooooo my adviser gave me my first round of edits to make. Now I get to trim and prune the thesis down to be less verbose. 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

I am thinking about letting the kids find a magic vardo when they are at about third level or so - it will be bright yellow, and take them on magical and educational adventures through time and space! in part as an alternative to them renting spaces, and in part because the PCs won't know it, but it will be permeable to the outsiders that made it - the djinn....

When the door to the outside is closed and locked two other doors open, into separate rooms. When the door is open and/or unlocked the doors only go from those rooms, but those inside those rooms can see and hear what is going on through the screens in the doors.

Also, I am thinking about making a minor change to the Pugwampis - when one of them confirms a fumble, it explodes - causing those within 5' to make a Fort save or be Sickened - but also forcing other Pugwampis that can see their exploding comrade to make a Will save or spend one round laughing at the stupidity of their late companion....

The Auld Grump - and because watching big folk get covered in green goop from an exploding Pugwampi is funny....

• Like 2
  • Haha 9

8 hours ago, TheAuldGrump said:

Also, the kids, all of them, now hate Pugwampis. ::D:

The game was fumbleriffic! And I used the Fumble Cards, which I will continue to use whenever the Pugwampis are around. (Even allowing for the roll twice, take the worse, there were a disproportionate number of fumbles.

I don't think they ever did issue an errata about whether or not the unluck aura stacks. The way it's written, a really nasty DM could have it climb exponentially by catching players with a couple pugwumpis at once. Myself and other players pointed this out to them on their forums years ago, but we never got an answer.

1 hour ago, TheAuldGrump said:

About fifteen years ago, some of my friends and I were at a sandwich shop discussing a Call of Cthulhu game we were all players in, and I was telling one of them 'I can't believe you guys didn't put on gloves before loading your guns! Don't you know they can lift prints from the shells?!'

Before noticing the off duty police officer at the next table.... (We had our books with us, so it wasn't hard to convince him we were talking about a game.)

The Auld Grump

Steve Jackson Games was once raided by the Secret Service over hacking fears because they were in the process of writing the Cyberpunk book for GURPS. One of their writers had done research by contacting IT security people and self-proclaimed hackers using a personally run BBS site, and so the Secret Service deemed him to be a criminal and raided his workplace, not his home, because he also used the Steve Jackson Games BBS(but not for any of his research stuff).

Upside was that this incident was the reason that the EFF was created.

Edited by Unruly
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

HEY!

GEM

I was trying to find if they had a local chapter near me. Thankfully there doesn't seem to be. My scheme to keep the rabbits out of my crops relies on my yard being a gnome friendly enviroment, meaning that they are well fed, allowed access to the strategic beer reserve, and keep in coffee. I'm currently working on ways to ensure that they are also well armed.

The last thing I need is someone trying to abduct them under the misinformed belief that they are somehow being abused! (because I know that most people wouldn't think it through. If I was plotting to exploit them, why would I give them weapons?)

But getting back to my original idea, as someone whose gone through the hassle of authorities taking the wrong idea from creative endevors, (back in high school one of my notebooks being used for research for a Vampire the Masquarde chronicle was confiscated by one of my teachers and turned over to the local police who I then had to convince that I was not running a satanic cult.), my theory on those who monitor our web activity is it's best to try and keep them amused. 

"Hey Carl, anything interesting from sector 7g?"

"Well there have been several hits for weapons, drug paraphenalia, and cults."

"Actions recommended ?"

"Not sure. The weapons were 1/16 scale, the paraphenia was a false hit resulting from Gnome Tank, and he's found the Cult of the Great Pumpkin. Also apparently playing Farcry 5."

"Let me see....oh that guy again. Last week it was history of bank robbing, the hand of glory, and toaster shrines."

"So what you're saying is he's sending armed garden gnomes, who apparently have armor support, to rob banks to fund toaster shrines while they await the Great Pumpkin. You know we outta send this to Weekly World News or something."

"Can't. Nothing on Bigfoot, Elvis, or Batboy."

"There's always next week."

• Haha 12

9 hours ago, Cyradis said:

Honestly, most of the costume photos from the Met Gala would be good painting reference. Many verge on absurd but they're often lovely and artistic. It also gives me hope that capes and cloaks may someday come back into fashion. They're now both geek-wear and high fashion. I want wearable blankets, dosh garnet! 

IMG_1651.JPG.aca208e873e7bb0f25759d5bf6da7679.JPG

• Haha 10