Froggy the Great

Randomness XIV: THE FLOOR IS LAVA!

Was going to have a serious paint this evening, ended up watching a detective show.

I don't even like detective shows, but it was still preferable to actually doing stuff.

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

Mother's day stuff achieved, as well as going to my niece's birthday party. I threw a bunch of 6 year old girls into a big foam pit for about 15 minutes, which probably wasn't a good idea. I've now aggravated an already sore shoulder that had been bothering me for a week or two. My younger sister doesn't think it's a rotator cuff tear, though, so that's good. The location makes it more of a pulled muscle situation than anything else.

Afterwards, we went to visit my grandma in the rehab/nursing home she's currently in. She's so out of it that she didn't know who any of us were. I also learned today that my mom and sister were both of the same mind as I was in hoping that this last trip to the hospital would have been her last. It's bad to say, but it's the truth. We've watched her waste away for close to 10 years now, and it doesn't get any easier when she's bouncing in and out of the hospital every 2 months and has reached the point where she can't even feed herself.

Then I went to Lowe's and, as seems to be the case every time I'm in there, I left with about $50 worth of stuff in 2 items or less. This time it was a pair of compound brush cutters and a sliding T-bevel. I also bought a 3mm wood chisel on Amazon just now, so that when I finally get a work bench and a woodworker's vise I'll be able to go straight to practicing hand-cutting small dovetails and box joints. I'm actually kind of anxious to see how it goes.

My first real project is probably going to be a set of small dice boxes. I want to make them as a fan gift for the fine folks who are doing the Acquisitions Incorporated "The C Team" streams. I'm thinking maple with a very light stain, and the top of the box will have a small copper panel that I've acid etched the Acq Inc logo and each respective character's name onto before giving a patina. Probably a blue patina. Because blue copper is awesome compared to the more common green, relatively easy to do, and I don't have the chemicals needed to do a red patina readily available.

I figure a piece of fan art is a good way to start, as I will put care into it, but I won't sweat small imperfections because I'm doing it for free.

• Like 8
  • Sad 2

6 hours ago, Crowley said:
6 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Could a MOD please please fix the uploading pics problem?

As of this moment it still won't work!

I don't think its a mod issue, I have the feeling its higher up than that.

>looks up at air vents<

We have goblins?:wow:

• Haha 11

7 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Could a MOD please please fix the uploading pics problem?

As of this moment it still won't work!

Yep, as David said, that's 'above my pay grade' as it were. Anything involving the actual software mechanics of the forum isn't something a moderator (me, Froggy, Darsc, Talespinner, etc.) can affect. We can move, remove, merge, and split threads and posts, plus a few other things, but that's it. 

Administrators (such as ladystorm, kit, Bryan before he left, etc.) have access to tools within the software itself to change some things around (such as turning features on or off or changing the look of the boards). However, if it's the software itself that is misbehaving, that's a Kit issue, since he can work on stuff "under the hood."

Unrelated general note: mentioning an actual mod using the @ feature makes it both easier and faster for us to notice issues and requests for assistance, instead of a generic request for a mod. This wonderful board is a big place and there's a lot of posts to look through! ^_^

Huzzah! 

--OneBoot :D 

Edited by OneBoot
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 5

Can't resist...  Mods get paid?  That's awesome! 

As for randomness... I so was planning on painting today.  Kind of spent most of the day playing Destiny 2 and HOTS.  *whistles innocently*

Been pretty fun, to say the least. 

• Like 4

Coming from a guy who wrote the first screen saver I ever saw I'm suprised any of this works half as well as it dose ... hats off to a very well run board with peeps behind the scene working hard so we can goof off and show off ... thank you mysterious techies ...:winkthumbs:

• Like 7

Man, I don’t envy Kit his job.

• Like 9

10 minutes ago, WhiteWulfe said:

Can't resist...  Mods get paid?  That's awesome! 

Why yes, the despairing screams of the innocent are a hot currency these days! 

Oh...I said that out loud, didn't I? :ph34r:

Huzzah! 

Edited by OneBoot
weird spacing issue
  • Like 2
  • Haha 14

I usually don't pride myself as being a good cook, but man did my chicken breasts turn out good for something I eyeballed from start to finish. The basics my mom taught me worked their magic.

• Chicken breasts, diced
  • Rolled chicken cubes in plenty of flour
  • Heated frying pan to medium heat, used a mix of olive oil and butter.
  • Sautéed all of the chicken, a little bit a time.
  • Kept re-adding oil and butter.
  • At the end, I put all of the chicken back in the frying pan.
  • Added soy sauce, oyster sauce, water, stir fried onions (prepared it before chicken), seasonings (pepper, salt, garlic powder, Italian herbs) and stirred.

I ended with a thick, savory home made gravy with flavorful diced chicken. The kind where you lick the spatula clean again and again and still want more. Finally adding peas, carrots and broccoli, this is going to be my lunches for next week.

As a point of contrast, yesterday I had frozen microwaveable lasagna that I bought 50% off. It didn't live up to expectations.

P.S. Happy Mother's Day! (I called her this evening after I cleaned up)

Edited by Cranky Dog
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 3

I actually cleaned up and put away my Bones 2 collection, and had a clear workspace for the day! 

by about 1  pm we were all tired of Celebrating Mother's Day and headed to separate corners.  Mine had paint in it.

- the Wife and the spawn baked a sponge cake.  I made frosting and shopped for missing ingredients. 

then we ate the cake.   I would enclose pics but... 

I worked hard on the face for a commission piece and then got my photos organized.  I have a troll king that deserves his own show off thread. 

Apparently, uploading photos is down.  Wandering around on this thread it seems like we are waiting for Kit, and probably Monday.  ok. 

Edited by Evilhalfling
  • Like 8

2 hours ago, Pingo said:

Man, I don’t envy Kit his job.

Me neither. :wacko: Back when Bryan did a lot of it, I got a bit more of an understanding about what goes on behind the curtain, and just how headdesk frustrating a lot of it is.

But then, based on the stories the programmers in my family tell, misbehaving code is one of the universal constants. If something in your code isn't doing weird stuff, it's because you haven't found it yet. 

Huzzah! 

Edited by OneBoot
  • Like 8

3 minutes ago, OneBoot said:

Me neither. :wacko: Back when Bryan did a lot of it, I got a bit more of an understanding about what goes on behind the curtain, and just how headdesk frustrating a lot of it is.

But then, based on the stories the programmers in my family tell, misbehaving code is one of the universal constants. If something in your code isn't doing weird stuff, it's because you haven't found it yet. 

Huzzah! 

Sir Cyr is a programmer. He seems to be of the opinion that there are always bugs, and some are worse than others. He also is a follower of "have you turned it off and on again?" as a first pass to fix things. 

I hear many coding horror stories from him and don't envy him in the slightest. 

• Like 8

When I was doing a bit of programming for design stuff, ran into a bug where the computer was "successfully" dividing by zero, and was giving a random result. Coworker refused to believe that his code was doing the math like that, and it finally took having the program pause, report what two numbers it was using, then divide and report the result before he would believe me. He was astounded that the program would handle a math error by giving some random result. I just shrugged it off. Wasn't the worst bug we'd found. Those usually popped up in French, with the developer saying that particular error (riddled with obscenities) wasn't even in the software they gave us. Weird computer stuff seems to be attracted to me for some reason.

Wife spent her Mother's Day obsessively cleaning landscaping rock. I built a little screen stand that separates the rock from 40 years of slowly composted dust, leaves and whatnot. Problem is that once she starts, she can't stop (thus the obsessive). She spent nearly six hours shoveling rock, and wonders why she is tired! Spent some time calculating, and she moved just shy of 700 lbs of stone, while I dumped two full wheelbarrows of dirt she filled into the garden.

Poor sweetie is going to be laid up hard tomorrow, too stiff to do much of anything.

• Like 4
  • Sad 4

It's been an unusually long Mother's Day here. But my mom didn't have to move any rock. So I guess there's that.

Imma go find a hole to crawl in all the same.

• Like 4

So, since I know we've got some woodworkers here based on the Acquisitions thread and a few conversations, I've got a question for them.

As someone who doesn't have any hand planes, a planer, or a jointer, I've been eyeballing pre-milled S4S lumber. Is it worth it to buy the S4S stuff while I'm just learning and working on my first few projects? I'm worried that, thanks to the way that lumber tends to be stored for sale, the boards are going to be warped again and I'll be getting screwed out of straight, squared stock while also paying 3-4x the rough cut prices.

• Like 5