Froggy the Great

Randomness XIV: THE FLOOR IS LAVA!

I need to mow the lawn.

I don't WANT to mow the lawn.

I'm probably going out to mow the lawn shortly, since there's a nice breeze right now, and it's not too hot.

• Like 9

4 minutes ago, Chaoswolf said:

I need to mow the lawn.

I'm probably going out to mow the lawn shortly, since there's a nice breeze right now, and it's not too hot.

Thanks for the reminder that I need to lop the yard of dandelions. BLAH. 

Good stuff though: the mint is back. Glorious yummy mint. 

• Like 6

12 minutes ago, Cyradis said:

Encourage the dandelions, make wine.

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

11 minutes ago, Chaoswolf said:

Happy to help!::D:

I think I may bribe Sir Cyr with steak. He likes mowing and weed chopping more than me anyway. I like the planting and picking, not the weeding or mowing, lol. 

Just now, Sylverthorne said:

Encourage the dandelions, make wine.

You are welcome to my yard. They've taken over. 

• Like 10

Another business meeting for the retreat....

I don't know if Megan will want to accompany me or not.

The Auld Grump - I still have no idea why they schedule business meetings for 9PM.... (I could ask, but I suspect that the mystery is more interesting than the reason....)

22 minutes ago, Chaoswolf said:

I need to mow the lawn.

I kind of miss having to mow the lawn.

Okay, I kind of miss Megan watching me while I mow the lawn....

The Auld Grump

• Like 7

17 minutes ago, TheAuldGrump said:

I kind of miss having to mow the lawn.

Okay, I kind of miss Megan watching me while I mow the lawn....

The Auld Grump

I miss mowing the lawn too. Even though the only ones who ever watched me were the corgis. 

Someone had to make sure I was doing it right! :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

48 minutes ago, Chaoswolf said:

I need to mow the lawn.

Sounds like my situation. Except instead of oppressive heat, it's a solid week and a half of rain and a large portion of my lawn that doesn't drain. So unless I get a break of at least 3 days of high heat and sun, the back half of my lawn is a swamp. I snuck in a mowing on Friday, and it took me over half an hour to mow the back half alone. It doesn't take me much more than half an hour to mow the whole thing when it's dry and I haven't let it get overgrown. Admittedly that's not been a frequent occurence in years, but that's because people frown on you mowing your lawn at 10pm, and I used to work solid night shifts....

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Chaoswolf said:

I need to mow the lawn.

The deed is done.

I'm sure that doing so has angered the local Fae; if I'm never heard from again, you'll know why.

51 minutes ago, Cyradis said:
1 hour ago, Chaoswolf said:

Happy to help!::D:

I think I may bribe Sir Cyr with steak. He likes mowing and weed chopping more than me anyway. I like the planting and picking, not the weeding or mowing, lol. 

Oh, I wasn't volunteering to do yours, I was just happy to remind you about it.::P:

Although, if there's steak involved, I might be persuaded.

Oh, and cookies, too. Definitely cookies.

Edited by Chaoswolf
  • Like 9

35 hours and counting. Doc came in this morning and was surprised as he'll he was awake and eating. Pretty sure it was my fault he was awake, I accidentally dropped a folding chair, but it's been nice. He sleeping again, some family called us a few hours ago telling us they were in Oregon and headed our way. They were about 7 hours out at the time, they are coming from Nevada.

• Like 12

Yard work?  Yeah, I miss doing that too.  Apartment living sucks like that. 

.. I want a house one of these days! (and a blue car of doom to park in front of it) 

Edited by WhiteWulfe
  • Like 5

Bribing Sir Cyr with cookies defeats the whole "eating healthy" thing. I'll probably make cookies for my thesis defense.... because that's what I do when I'm thinking hard. 

Another bit of progress! I gave my adviser and my committee members the first draft of a manuscript for publication and my thesis with the first round of edits complete. Now they need to actually let me schedule a date for the darn defense!! GAH! I can't get plane tickets for summer travel until they do! And I need to have the go-ahead for making my presentation!! 

• Like 7

4 hours ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

Prince William is actually a helicopter pilot for Search and Rescue.

3 hours ago, Beagle said:

And Prince Harry flew Apache attack helicopters in Afghanistan.

2 hours ago, Cyradis said:

And the Queen did do mechanic work during WW2. She's also scared the heck out of some of the middle eastern world leaders who didn't expect a woman to drive when she took the wheel. 

There are worse folks to be rich. I still don't need to see their wedding, but they aren't totally useless folks. 

None of those things have a requirement of "be rich" though. They just get attention paid to the fact that they've done them because they're rich. I don't hear people talking about how my friend Harry flew A-6 Intruders in the 80's, or the random other guys that fly Search and Rescue, or the other folks that worked as mechanics during WWII unless they actually know them personally. But if one of the royals or a famously rich person does it, it automatically gets used as proof that they're better than normal folks and deserve their money more.

6 hours ago, Mad Jack said:

Eh, I'd posit that the Royal Family are much less useless than most famous rich people.

Nah. They've been relegated largely to run of the mill celebrities now, except they're worse because they're immune to prosecution and their lives are paid for by the populace by law, rather than choice like other celebrities are. 

Don't get me wrong, I've got nothing against the people who want to support them, and the fact that they don't just do nothing all the time does win them a little bit more support from me, but I still see them primarily as useless celebrities. I'd rather that, instead of a large subsection of what is generally referred to as "News" focusing on celebrities, royalty included unless said royalty still has functional control over public policy, it focused on individual stories of random people who do the same things that these celebrities are being given credit for. Instead of 50 near identical articles from 50 different newspapers, not even counting the gossip rags, about how Celebrity #458 just donated to a charity, they could each go talk to one of the umpteen million people who have donated thousands upon thousands of hours of their time to that same charity. Or talk to the people running that charity about the effect that it has had over the last 5 or 10 years, especially if it has had a presence in their local area.

Of course, I'm also sick of certain "charities," too. Like a certain pink one, because they spend more money on "awareness," lawsuits against other charities, and executive pay than they do on actually furthering their cause, and is there anyone left in the world who isn't aware of their particular cause?

But I fear I'm spreading into Beekeepers territory now.

Edited by Unruly
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Cyradis said:

You need to hire a tortoise as Gardener.

They love dandelions.

A couple of seasons of Tortoise managed lawn and your dandelion problem will be well suppressed.

GEM

1 hour ago, Unruly said:

Sounds like my situation. Except instead of oppressive heat, it's a solid week and a half of rain and a large portion of my lawn that doesn't drain. So unless I get a break of at least 3 days of high heat and sun, the back half of my lawn is a swamp. I snuck in a mowing on Friday, and it took me over half an hour to mow the back half alone. It doesn't take me much more than half an hour to mow the whole thing when it's dry and I haven't let it get overgrown. Admittedly that's not been a frequent occurence in years, but that's because people frown on you mowing your lawn at 10pm, and I used to work solid night shifts....

Give the people objecting a choice.

They can mow the lawn at a time that they find acceptable, or, they can watch and listen while you do it at your convenience.

GEM

• Like 7
  • Haha 1