Froggy the Great

Randomness XIV: THE FLOOR IS LAVA!

1 hour ago, Unruly said:

None of those things have a requirement of "be rich" though. They just get attention paid to the fact that they've done them because they're rich. I don't hear people talking about how my friend Harry flew A-6 Intruders in the 80's, or the random other guys that fly Search and Rescue, or the other folks that worked as mechanics during WWII unless they actually know them personally. But if one of the royals or a famously rich person does it, it automatically gets used as proof that they're better than normal folks and deserve their money more.

Nah. They've been relegated largely to run of the mill celebrities now, except they're worse because they're immune to prosecution and their lives are paid for by the populace by law, rather than choice like other celebrities are. 

Don't get me wrong, I've got nothing against the people who want to support them, and the fact that they don't just do nothing all the time does win them a little bit more support from me, but I still see them primarily as useless celebrities. I'd rather that, instead of a large subsection of what is generally referred to as "News" focusing on celebrities, royalty included unless said royalty still has functional control over public policy, it focused on individual stories of random people who do the same things that these celebrities are being given credit for. Instead of 50 near identical articles from 50 different newspapers, not even counting the gossip rags, about how Celebrity #458 just donated to a charity, they could each go talk to one of the umpteen million people who have donated thousands upon thousands of hours of their time to that same charity. Or talk to the people running that charity about the effect that it has had over the last 5 or 10 years, especially if it has had a presence in their local area.

Of course, I'm also sick of certain "charities," too. Like a certain pink one, because they spend more money on "awareness," lawsuits against other charities, and executive pay than they do on actually furthering their cause, and is there anyone left in the world who isn't aware of their particular cause?

But I fear I'm spreading into Beekeepers territory now.

"The Royals" [for the most part]  serve Great Britain better than most people realize.  The "tax thing" does kinda bug me though.

One executive at "the pink charity" receives more in salary and benefits than the entire annual budget for the small non-profit my wife and I serve on the board of.  Any of the "charities" that do heavy TV advertising spend a substantial portion of every dollar they raise just keeping that ball rolling.

If you are inclined to charitable work I recommend finding a local group to work with, so you can see how the money is being spent.  Hopefully not on 6 figure salaries for a staff of "executives".

GEM

• Like 3

Anniversary today, and I'd made a dinner reservation.  Unfortunately the restaurant called to say they'd had an emergency and had to close for the evening.  Really hoping that it's a small emergency, it's a nice restaurant to have as a local small business and we've been there several times.  :unsure: 

• Sad 9

3 hours ago, Chaoswolf said:

I need to mow the lawn.

I don't WANT to mow the lawn.

I'm probably going out to mow the lawn shortly, since there's a nice breeze right now, and it's not too hot.

I'm beginning to wonder if the act of mowing somehow summons rain....

Alexandra the Night Blooming Jasmine is ready to be transplanted to her outside home, and the rest of my seeds have arrived. So tomorrow will be a plant day instead of a painting day from the looks of things.

• Like 6

Last year I posted that our old cat, Falazure, was dying. He lost a lot of weight and was listless and weak. Well, despite all our expectations, he's getting better!! He's been gaining weight, he's perky again, and he is steadier. He's also been able to clean himself better. It's actually amazing. We didn't expect him to live through Christmas, but he's doing so much better! 

7 hours ago, NebulousMissy said:

Why am I the only one who seems stressed about my job. The guy who can't wear pants right isn't stressed (but then he does no work), the former stripper isn't stressed (but then she's out sick 3 days out of ten), the retreads aren't stressed (but then they're off probation).

Is it because I take my job seriously? Is that what's stressing me out? How long does it take for the human body to get used to full time hours? Because it's been 6 months and I'm still not.

Based on having worked full time at regular hours for the last 8 years, I'd say.... never.

• Like 13

If I'd written Back to the Future, it'd have looked like this, I reckon.

Also, apropos of nothing,

BDC08396-8CAF-4539-B0F7-68599099EC72.thumb.jpeg.334cd18e5da98e2d272dddcd6a3234d2.jpeg

• Like 4

I made jambalaya today. Except I didn't make it the correct way, I made it in a crockpot. It was an experiment in laziness. It tastes fine, but even though I only added the rice in at the last hour or so, I didn't add enough rice and it overcooked. So now I have something more like a jambalaya rice paste.

I ate it while watching Spiderman: Homecoming. Both were good.

• Like 6

9 hours ago, NebulousMissy said:

Is it because I take my job seriously? Is that what's stressing me out? How long does it take for the human body to get used to full time hours? Because it's been 6 months and I'm still not.

Maybe you started wrong ... start in a winery for crush ... 6  × 12 hour days a week for a few months straight and an 8 hour day is a cake walk ...

Or maybe ... taking a job serious and taking a job home are two different things ... if you don't leave work at work it can start to grind ... but thats a job ... a career , you live pretty much 24/7.

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

You'd be King of the Road.

Trailers for sale or rent

Rooms to let 50 cents

No phone, no pool, no pets

I ain't got no cigarettes

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Well, for the second time in, I think, 5 years I've rescued a chimney swift that has made its way into my home. Except that this time my cats both have claws and, in one case at least, is energetic enough to chase the thing all over. Last time my cat was declawed, old, and timid. I may have given the poor thing a heart attack or two, and may have tweaked a wing when I caught it the second time. The first time I caught it I took it outside, took a step away from the door, and when I let the thing go it darted back inside. And it wasn't letting me catch it as easily the second time. Almost made me faceplant into the utility sink when I had to dart out of the way of the bugger while standing on a step ladder.

I thought I had sufficiently plugged up the remaining access holes in my chimney, but I guess not. It's a good thing I've got about 10 cans of expanding foam insulation on hand from an aborted attempt at making a tailoring dummy, because I'll be using that this weekend to redo the quick paper stuff job I did last time.

• Like 9

The womenfolk are going shopping!

So, it's painting time for me!

• Like 8

7 hours ago, redambrosia said:

Last year I posted that our old cat, Falazure, was dying. He lost a lot of weight and was listless and weak. Well, despite all our expectations, he's getting better!! He's been gaining weight, he's perky again, and he is steadier. He's also been able to clean himself better. It's actually amazing. We didn't expect him to live through Christmas, but he's doing so much better! 

Based on having worked full time at regular hours for the last 8 years, I'd say.... never.

Great news about your cat!  The older you get the more sad stories you hear. It wonderful to hear a happy ending!  I hope he has a long and happy future

Been at this now for 30 years and still would like to work less relax more. 

It never gets easy, even if you love what you do.  And yes I am sort of a wet blanket today.  Boaz is right though, work a harvest job or swing shift for a month or two and suddenly a 40 hour day job doesn't seem near so bad

Got the ultimate proof that nature has a really sick sense of humor: latest study shows exercise is only good for you if it's not doing anything useful

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/exercise-benefits-job-physical-roles-death-rate-health-link-amsterdam-study-a8352061.html%3famp

Summation: if you lift weights in a gym: benefit, if you lift bricks and get paid for it: die early!

• Like 10

1 hour ago, Kangaroorex said:

Great news about your cat!  The older you get the more sad stories you hear. It wonderful to hear a happy ending!  I hope he has a long and happy future

Been at this now for 30 years and still would like to work less relax more. 

It never gets easy, even if you love what you do.  And yes I am sort of a wet blanket today.  Boaz is right though, work a harvest job or swing shift for a month or two and suddenly a 40 hour day job doesn't seem near so bad

Got the ultimate proof that nature has a really sick sense of humor: latest study shows exercise is only good for you if it's not doing anything useful

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/exercise-benefits-job-physical-roles-death-rate-health-link-amsterdam-study-a8352061.html%3famp

Summation: if you lift weights in a gym: benefit, if you lift bricks and get paid for it: die early!

Not that shocking. Doing anything for eight hours without a break is bad for you. This includes playing skyrim :lol: Sitting for eight hours, standing for eight hours, pouring concrete. The only exception is sleeping :lol: 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Four day weekend for me!!

It's grey and rainy out though, which is kinda killing the motivation to do anything besides go back to bed.

• Like 8