Froggy the Great

Randomness XIV: THE FLOOR IS LAVA!

My leave was approved for the Memorial Day weekend.

Good, because these plane tickets are nonrefundable. And because I already had my leave approved back in February, why did I have to approve it again? Wait, I know why <_<

• Like 11

I'm reading aloud through the background to check word flow and for errors I can't see any more but might hear.

Took a moment to alphabetize all the words in one chapter to see what happened (Not sure why some quoted things appear to be slightly out of order).

It included interesting bits like:

”The fists five fix flanked flat flatness flattered flattered flesh flesh flexed floating flood flow flow flowed flower “

“That people’s perfect performances performed perfumes perhaps persevered Persia Persian Persian person person person person person person ”The personable perspective petted petting piece piqued pirouette pity pivoted pivoted pivoted place play pocket pockets pockets pockets pockets pockets It poetry poetry point point points poised poised polite political possibilities possibilities possibilities post-mortem powered practice predator predator’s preferred preferred premise prepare prepared presence present prettiest pretty pretty pretty pride priestess priestess priestess private private ” probably probe promises promising prone prone prototype ” proud provenance public public ”

vampire’s vanished veins ” velvety venues vertical very very very very very very very vicious violence

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 5

I'm actually relieved there are only eight "very"s in there.

... That's only one chapter, mind ...

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Paradoxical Mouse said:

Brain weasels: the second you think you've chased them away, you find another one in your lap. I'm really worried I'm being super annoying to everyone around me right now. 

Never,  we are all here to support each other.  Having a bunch of people to talk to and at is a thing everybody needs. 

41 minutes ago, Cyradis said:

Dragon in a playpen!

20180517_114229.jpg

Yay!  I really think he wants that leaf though...  either that or the cricket hiding just out of the picture.  We are still hunting for our new pet, with luck there will soon be a dragon in my future!

• Like 11

14 hours ago, Boaz said:

Maybe you started wrong ... start in a winery for crush ... 6  × 12 hour days a week for a few months straight and an 8 hour day is a cake walk ...

Or maybe ... taking a job serious and taking a job home are two different things ... if you don't leave work at work it can start to grind ... but thats a job ... a career , you live pretty much 24/7.

Or try long haul truck driving [or any other job in the operational end of the transportation industry].

70 hours on the logbook is a short week.  Add in wait time off the logbook for loading unloading when the facility has a breakdown and your scheduled time gets pushed back as much as 8 hours.

Plus questionable food and sleeping wherever you happen to be when your logbook times out.

40 hour work week [and home sleeping in your own bed]  looks like a Cake-walk by comparison.

People don't realize that most jobs involving Transportation [of either goods or people] aren't covered under the labor laws that everybody else takes for granted.

GEM

• Like 5

My, having a character smoking a cigarette gives them all kinds of gestures and things they can do when not actually talking.

I can see why filmmakers and actors used them so much in the old days, that and glasses of booze. Definitely something to do with your hands rather than standing there sawing the air.

Which reminds me of Peter Sellers on the Muppet Show:

• Like 7

I was going to go with my friend to a Renaissance Fair in my hometown this weekend, but she was just told her workplace is short staffed so she has to work this weekend. ::(: Mr. Mouse is playing paintball, so he can't come with me either. So...I guess I'm not going any more...

• Like 1
  • Sad 13

You go, and get a horn full of mead, then send pictures to the shmucks who couldn't make it :poke:

• Like 11

26 minutes ago, Pingo said:

My, having a character smoking a cigarette gives them all kinds of gestures and things they can do when not actually talking.

I can see why filmmakers and actors used them so much in the old days, that and glasses of booze. Definitely something to do with your hands rather than standing there sawing the air.

Which reminds me of Peter Sellers on the Muppet Show:

A lot of times the product was provided gratis by the manufacturer as a form of product placement.

Also, a lot of those glasses of booze were filled with tea or water.

when you have to do multiple takes a full bladder is easier to deal with than a performer becoming progressively more inebriated with every subsequent take.

Of course, there are/were some notable and notorious exceptions.

GEM

• Like 7

It turns out the best substitute for filming beer is... beer.

Nothing foams quite like beer. Fake beers are too obvious.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I have learned a bunch of fascinating foreign cusswords and a number of different languages' words for "leech".

• Like 8
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, NebulousMissy said:

It turns out the best substitute for filming beer is... beer.

Nothing foams quite like beer. Fake beers are too obvious.

Even most of the "no alcohol" "beers" won't produce a head like a real beer.

1 minute ago, Pingo said:

I have learned a bunch of fascinating foreign cusswords and a number of different languages' words for "leech".

As in the bloodsucking parasite?

I've sometimes used that particular word as a description for certain specific individuals, especially specific politicians and lawyers.

GEM

• Like 3

Just now, Green Eyed Monster said:

As in the bloodsucking parasite?

I've sometimes used that particular word as a description for certain specific individuals, especially specific politicians and lawyers.

GEM

Yep. I am writing vampire fiction. The word "vampire" is too modern for some uses.

(I also researched a bunch of other terms because this is meant to be character background from "Vampire: the Masquerade" and much of White Wolf's game terminology is -- to put it as kindly as possible -- jaw-droppingly, brain-liquefyingly stupid.

Like, an ancient millennia-old clan of aesthetic vampires who prey on artists is called "Toreadors". No. Seriously. Another clan, also far predating Spain, is called "The Lasombra," which makes my Spanish-speaking kids wince.)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2