Froggy the Great

Randomness XIV: THE FLOOR IS LAVA!

3 hours ago, TGP said:

Welp Meg and Harry are officially hitched. 

I just don’t know what to make of it. If Prince Harry wants a roll in the hay with a colonial peasant then surely he could pop over to Washingtonville or one of your other big cities and pick up a stray milkmaid or scullion girl. 

But for the good of the realm he needs to be marrying the princess of Bohemia or some other Kingdom.

However Mrs Beagle, whilst watching the ceremony, informed me that the two of them looked ‘so in love’ and ‘so happy’ and apparently this is a good thing at weddings and in a marriage. But then Mrs Beagle is also a foreigner and prone to sentimentality

23 minutes ago, Zink said:

I grew up where our nearest neighbours were 3 miles away. I still own that land but live in a town of 500 people. I like my house (at least now that I have a hobby space) but otherwise would rather still be on the farm full time. Every time my wife (who was a big city girl) complains about noisy lawnmowers, drunken elfhole neighbour, people with loud vehicles roaring on the street or all the small gossip and BS I remind here that it was here idea to move here. Some days she goes back to the farm to get away from it. I tell her, "No, no, no. This is my space now. You go back to town where you wanted to be." ::P::devil:

Sounds like the kind of place John Denver would have a magical Christmas in

• Like 6
  • Haha 7

1 minute ago, Beagle said:

I just don’t know what to make of it. If Prince Harry wants a roll in the hay with a colonial peasant then surely he could pop over to Washingtonville or one of your other big cities and pick up a stray milkmaid or scullion girl. 

But for the good of the realm he needs to be marrying the princess of Bohemia or some other Kingdom.

However Mrs Beagle, whilst watching the ceremony, informed me that the two of them looked ‘so in love’ and ‘so happy’ and apparently this is a good thing at weddings and in a marriage. But then Mrs Beagle is also a foreigner and prone to sentimentality

Brace yourself for times to come, one day she might become your Queen.

It happened in the Netherlands, our King decided to have a fling with a Argentinean Female who is now our Queen.

Granted, she looks better than him...

Yes, my old friend the time of the old Kingdoms has gone.

Let's remenisce by drinking a good glass of wine (or in your case, warm beer) and think about good old times for a moment.

Aaahhh, when we could plunder the world and call it a Golden Century..

Sniff..I'm getting emotional...quick! Get me some Bacon! Stat!

• Like 3
  • Haha 9
  • Sad 1

Personally I find it refreshing that the nobles are getting out of the inbreeding habit. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 7

2 hours ago, Chaoswolf said:

I prefer to be more towards the rural side of suburbia--neighbors close enough to socialize with if I so choose, but far enough away that I don't have to interact with them if I don't want to.

Pretty much what I love about where we are.  The public transit has limited hours, but it's enough to get my 20 year old to the community college.  My kids can play in the neighborhood, the air is clean and it's fairly quiet.  Most of us keep to ourselves, but the neighbors are pretty friendly.  

2 minutes ago, Zink said:

Personally I find it refreshing that the nobles are getting out of the inbreeding habit. 

I think anyone who can keep Harry out of trouble is good for the British royal family.  If he's happy and productive all the better.  

• Like 10

40 minutes ago, LittleBluberry said:

Pretty much what I love about where we are.  The public transit has limited hours, but it's enough to get my 20 year old to the community college.  My kids can play in the neighborhood, the air is clean and it's fairly quiet.  Most of us keep to ourselves, but the neighbors are pretty friendly.  

I think anyone who can keep Harry out of trouble is good for the British royal family.  If he's happy and productive all the better.  

OMG!

You're right!

There will be little Harries and Meghans!!!

• Haha 8

6 hours ago, Unruly said:

I see the Italeri SR-71 model kit on their page, but it doesn't mention being able to be built as an M-21 variant or anything about the D-21 drone. But I have seen that it exists thanks to a google search. It's a shame that the actual website blurb is just a "this plane broke records" thing and no description of what the kit contains.

See, I like rural because I can separate myself from everyone if I want to. I grew up on a back road in the woods. Sure, I had neighbors, but the distance that separated us was at least half an acre. I could hear them mowing their lawns or running a chainsaw if I was outside, but once I was in my house I couldn't hear them anymore. It was great. I couldn't see them in their yards unless it was winter and the trees were leafless. I had real privacy. Compared to now, where I live in a neighborhood where my entire existence is on less than half an acre, I have one neighbor's house less than 20 feet from my own, two others are less than 50, and if I step onto my porch I'm able to be watched by anyone within a block and a half. It's like I'm always being watched. I can't throw open curtains without knowing that everyone can see me, I can't sleep during the summer because I work nights and there's at least one lawnmower running within a couple hundred feet of my house and there's basically nothing to deaden the sound. Other houses do a really crap job of it compared to a wall of nice, tall trees.

There's some convenience to living in town, sure, but I'd rather be back in my childhood home than living here. It was just far enough out of town to be peaceful, but not far enough away to be totally inconvenient. A 10 minute drive got me into the middle of town, and a 20 minute drive got me to everything else. Just the lack of noise and ability to sleep uninterrupted by it would probably make my life so much better. But at the same time, I'd have to make some changes to my childhood home after living in my current one. Central air is now a must-have for me for any home. I can't do 90F and 85% humidity indoors anymore. I can barely do it outside anymore...

At the same time, I complain about living in a small town because I'm a huge nerd and like a bunch of stuff that not many people around here like. Like D&D, and tabletop games, and stuff. But I think that has more to do with my state than anything. I know people from rural PA that were much better off in that regard than I am, because PA actually has some cultural centers worth going to and isn't a state where ignorance is proudly celebrated and their own government is more than willing to sell them to the lowest bidder for the sake of preserving an industry that's done nothing but exploit the people and destroy the environment while taking all of the money out of state. Oh, and that industry has been in a rather steep decline for the last 40 years and won't be coming back any time soon no matter how many tax breaks they get...

I hear you on the constant watching, I used to refer to Yorkville as "The Town with the Lidless Eyes". It was part of why I moved to Austin. 

But after some of the bs I dealt with in the city, returning to a small town has been somewhat refreshing I must admit. I have a yard to do battle with, and it's a short bike ride to forests and fields. Finding a job is more difficult, but towards the end of my time in Austin it was getting that way there as well.

In the mid 90s there was a massive Westward invasion of Kendall county from Naperville and other suburbs. This was aided and abetted by our city council who'd only zone for subdivisions rather than business or industry, not thinking of the fact that this would also become expensive in regards to upgrading roads, schools, etc. The draw for the invaders was that our property taxes were lower at the time. Thanks to the invasion, we're now the third most expensive in the state of IL. The bursting of the housing bubble finally stopped the invasion but the taxes remain.

Unfortunately if you stuff 50,000 Napervillians into an area, they have a tendancy to run roughshod over the local culture. The relentless "upscaling" begins which leads to the locals finding themselves with fewer and fewer places that  they aren't priced out of, and the underlying resentment from this unleashes the invaders' paranoia to odd extremes. (I came across years ago a panic brewing on the local Patch about how white slaver gangs were setting up in the area. What started this? One exchange student doing door to door sales, but the kid had a Russian accent, so of course it meant the mob was coming for their children! I felt sorry for that kid, poor guy only wanted a summer job now he's the boogyman.)

When I left for Austin, I was getting stopped by the police on a regular basis, just walking to and from my hangout resturant. Not because they were trying to be elfholes, but because they'd be deluged by suspicious person calls every time I passed the first block! So in the neighborhood where I grew up, getting anywhere became akin to navigating thru Mordor. 

This hasn't happened since my return, as the invaders have moved on for the most part, and most of the upscale establishments catering to them have gone under. (gee, pricing out and alienating a large section of the populace doesn't lead to a sustainable business model, who knew?) 

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

20 hours ago, redambrosia said:

Ya know, the writers for lost in space did a great job of making "dr smith" utterly hatable. Like, I almost wanted to stop watching. 

Plus, no matter how urgent, people were so fricken slow! 

I mean, plus Parker Posey's acting. She totally sells it. It's great when an actor gets a part they can really just sink their teeth into. 

So soggy after my co-op shift this morning. Supposedly the rain is going to stop at some point soon-ish... 

• Like 6

Ugh.

I have a benadryl hangover. Need coffee.

I'm fine, never had to hit the ER, never even needed my inhaler. Just a fistful of benadryl. Which... is the same thing the ER would have done so...

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Lord of the Dish Pit said:

I hear you on the constant watching, I used to refer to Yorkville as "The Town with the Lidless Eyes". It was part of why I moved to Austin. 

But after some of the bs I dealt with in the city, returning to a small town has been somewhat refreshing I must admit. I have a yard to do battle with, and it's a short bike ride to forests and fields. Finding a job is more difficult, but towards the end of my time in Austin it was getting that way there as well.

In the mid 90s there was a massive Westward invasion of Kendall county from Naperville and other suburbs. This was aided and abetted by our city council who'd only zone for subdivisions rather than business or industry, not thinking of the fact that this would also become expensive in regards to upgrading roads, schools, etc. The draw for the invaders was that our property taxes were lower at the time. Thanks to the invasion, we're now the third most expensive in the state of IL. The bursting of the housing bubble finally stopped the invasion but the taxes remain.

Unfortunately if you stuff 50,000 Napervillians into an area, they have a tendancy to run roughshod over the local culture. The relentless "upscaling" begins which leads to the locals finding themselves with fewer and fewer places that  they aren't priced out of, and the underlying resentment from this unleashes the invaders' paranoia to odd extremes. (I came across years ago a panic brewing on the local Patch about how white slaver gangs were setting up in the area. What started this? One exchange student doing door to door sales, but the kid had a Russian accent, so of course it meant the mob was coming for their children! I felt sorry for that kid, poor guy only wanted a summer job now he's the boogyman.)

When I left for Austin, I was getting stopped by the police on a regular basis, just walking to and from my hangout resturant. Not because they were trying to be elfholes, but because they'd be deluged by suspicious person calls every time I passed the first block! So in the neighborhood where I grew up, getting anywhere became akin to navigating thru Mordor. 

This hasn't happened since my return, as the invaders have moved on for the most part, and most of the upscale establishments catering to them have gone under. (gee, pricing out and alienating a large section of the populace doesn't lead to a sustainable business model, who knew?) 

To tell the truth i am really happy where I am.  I have a yard, a decent home and a small mortgage.  I have neighbors that will say hi and interact if I want to but could care less about what I do as long as its not bothering them.  There is also every convenience imaginable (except for a gaming shop) in biking distance and everything imaginable in a short drive.    Never thought the place i would settle would be southern Indiana, but life is what happens when you are making other plans!

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Kangaroorex said:

To tell the truth i am really happy where I am.  I have a yard, a decent home and a small mortgage.  I have neighbors that will say hi and interact if I want to but could care less about what I do as long as its not bothering them.  There is also every convenience imaginable (except for a gaming shop) in biking distance and everything imaginable in a short drive.    Never thought the place i would settle would be southern Indiana, but life is what happens when you are making other plans!

I've heard quite a few good things about Indiana recently. I remain somewhat jealous though that you folks can have actual fireworks. (although I must admit setting up smuggling runs to the tents did provide a certain enjoyment all it's own.)

Thankfully during my absence, Yorkville seems to have reached a certain equilibrium. The newer crop of neighbors seem to be live and let live, and have picked up on the idea that if all the lawns get mowed on the same day, the more peace and quiet for all of us. The city also at some point became aware of the usefulness of sidewalks, so not only can I get across town without risking life and limb, there's more pedestrian traffic which means walking somewhere isn't viewed as a possibly subversive activity.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Beagle said:

Sounds like the kind of place John Denver would have a magical Christmas in

John Denver had a love affair with my state, and then he wrote a song about it. But that song is a crock of crap, because, despite calling my state out by name, most of the specific locations mentioned are primarily in Virginia. The Blue Ridge Mountains aren't in my state at all, and the Shenandoah River is in my state for about 2 seconds. 

Despite this, because it mentions my state by name it has become a state anthem. It's stupid. The man was a hack and the song is idiotic. All he did was mistake our actual, separate state for the western portion of another state like everyone else that isn't from here or one of our direct neighbors does. Seriously. We've been a state for over 150 years now, and I still get asked how the beaches in my state are by people. I didn't say "western Virginia," I said "West Virginia." There's a big difference...

• Like 7
  • Haha 2

37 minutes ago, Unruly said:

John Denver had a love affair with my state, and then he wrote a song about it. But that song is a crock of crap, because, despite calling my state out by name, most of the specific locations mentioned are primarily in Virginia. The Blue Ridge Mountains aren't in my state at all, and the Shenandoah River is in my state for about 2 seconds. 

Despite this, because it mentions my state by name it has become a state anthem. It's stupid. The man was a hack and the song is idiotic. All he did was mistake our actual, separate state for the western portion of another state like everyone else that isn't from here or one of our direct neighbors does. Seriously. We've been a state for over 150 years now, and I still get asked how the beaches in my state are by people. I didn't say "western Virginia," I said "West Virginia." There's a big difference...

I never knew the man was such a charlatan. I have one of his songs saved as a YouTube link, I shall delete it immediately.

thanks for the heads up

6 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Yes, my old friend the time of the old Kingdoms has gone.

Let's remenisce by drinking a good glass of wine (or in your case, warm beer) and think about good old times for a moment.

Extraordinary response. You didn’t think Star Wars ended after ‘A New Hope’ did you? Episode V is just ramping up and it’s the best one yet

Edited by Beagle
  • Like 7
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Unruly said:

Sadly this kind of made me laugh. I like that song. It's always amazing how inaccurate and outright wrong things sometimes take over the popular perception. I come from a province that despite it's size seems that nobody except people who grew up in the neighbouring provinces or here even knows about. We're Canada's version of the flyover states.

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, Zink said:

I come from a province that despite it's size seems that nobody except people who grew up in the neighbouring provinces or here even knows about. We're Canada's version of the flyover states.

I'm taking a guess, but NWT? That was what popped into my head immediately, but then I had to go to wikipedia to look and see if it was actually a province or not. So I'm sticking with that guess. And if it isn't the NWT, then I'm going to say Manitoba as a second guess. Nobody down here talks about Manitoba, but you do hear references to Saskatchewan, Quebec, Ontario, and Alberta ever so often.

• Like 4