Froggy the Great

Randomness XIV: THE FLOOR IS LAVA!

6 minutes ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

3/4 through 70lbs of crawfish.  So full.

Nice! What are you drinking with it?

• Like 3

Met Megan's dad and paternal grandmother - and will be meeting them again in a few hours for dinner.

I don't know what I was expecting, but whatever I was expecting, he wasn't it. Petulant man-baby comes to mind, which is sad, since he is about my age.

He did make one snide comment about how I had chased his daughter, a woman half my age.... Which made Megan and I both break out laughing, since she was the one that had been chasing me. (I will admit that, as time passed, I was running slower and slower. ::P: ) For once we did not tell the story about the Retreat - we may tell Megan's grandmother, but feel that it is none of his business.

The only bit of Megan that I could see in him is her eyes - he may once have had her hair... but if so, there is not much left.

But, if I were looking for one word to describe him... it would be 'defeated' - he looks like someone that has given up, on some fundamental level.

Anna, the grandmother, on the other hand, was pretty much exactly what I should have expected - I swear, Megan looks more like each of the three grandparents that I have met than either of her parents. (Mostly her maternal grandmother - when they smile, they are so similar it is like seeing twins of very different ages.)

But you can see that she is not in the best of health - they had to remove a length of her intestines, about a foot and a half.

She probably has a few years left, if they got all of it, but I can fully understand and support wanting to meet her grand daughter and great grand daughter.

The Auld Grump - I swear, I want to give him the cut direct.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 3

7 minutes ago, TheAuldGrump said:

Met Megan's dad and paternal grandmother - and will be meeting them again in a few hours for dinner.

I don't know what I was expecting, but whatever I was expecting, he wasn't it. Petulant man-baby comes to mind, which is sad, since he is about my age.

He did make one snide comment about how I had chased his daughter, a woman half my age.... Which made Megan and I both break out laughing, since she was the one that had been chasing me. (I will admit that, as time passed, I was running slower and slower. ::P: ) For once we did not tell the story about the Retreat - we may tell Megan's grandmother, but feel that it is none of his business.

The only bit of Megan that I could see in him is her eyes - he may once have had her hair... but if so, there is not much left.

But, if I were looking for one word to describe him... it would be 'defeated' - he looks like someone that has given up, on some fundamental level.

Not to be rude or presumptuous, but from what little I know of you and Megan as an internet stranger, this seems close to what I was expecting.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Pingo said:

Not to be rude or presumptuous, but from what little I know of you and Megan as an internet stranger, this seems close to what I was expecting.

I think... I was expecting to dislike him more - but the only side that I have heard was from Megan's mum.

Aside from that one snide comment... he hasn't had a lot to say.

I was... kind of building myself up to defend Megan, but she really doesn't need my defense in this one - she outclasses him in every way. No need to come the amadan. (And, yes, I have told her this - just in case she didn't realize it herself.)

So, yeah, I would rather focus on the grandmother - I am really glad that she has gotten to meet Brigid - and she won points from me when she put her fingers in Brigid's mouth, for her to chew. (Brigid looks amazingly happy when she is chewing on somebody's fingers.)

Anna Carla D'Angelo, currently of Trenton, New Jersey, formerly of Portland, Maine - Libbytown.

And nobody to mess with. ::): Her reaction to almost dying has been to go out and see and meet more people, not close herself away.

I suspect we will spend a bit of time talking about the way things used to be in New England. Me about Boston Irish, her about Portland Italian.

The Auld Grump - we are going to a dinner at the Italian Heritage Center.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Crowley said:

I'm on the 4th floor. If flooding reached this height, there are other bigger worries...

Right. Like exactly how waterproof your windows are, and will they keep sharks out.::D:

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

11 minutes ago, TheAuldGrump said:

I think... I was expecting to dislike him more - but the only side that I have heard was from Megan's mum.

Aside from that one snide comment... he hasn't had a lot to say.

I was... kind of building myself up to defend Megan, but she really doesn't need my defense in this one - she outclasses him in every way. No need to come the amadan. (And, yes, I have told her this - just in case she didn't realize it herself.)

So, yeah, I would rather focus on the grandmother - I am really glad that she has gotten to meet Brigid - and she won points from me when she put her fingers in Brigid's mouth, for her to chew. (Brigid looks amazingly happy when she is chewing on somebody's fingers.)

Anna Carla D'Angelo, currently of Trenton, New Jersey, formerly of Portland, Maine - Libbytown.

And nobody to mess with. ::): Her reaction to almost dying has been to go out and see and meet more people, not close herself away.

I suspect we will spend a bit of time talking about the way things used to be in New England. Me about Boston Irish, her about Portland Italian.

The Auld Grump - we are going to a dinner at the Italian Heritage Center.

If petulant man-babies were universally dislikeable, we would not have so many of their children in the population.

(I speak as the child of one.)

Her grandmother sounds like a delight. I hope you have a lovely dinner.

We will be taking College Graduate out tonight as well, to a nice Italian place downtown. At the moment she seems a bit dazed. 

• Like 7

Above anything else, Megan is a fighter.

I guess I just expected to see more of that in her father. I see it in her mum, and I see it in both her grandmothers.

Her grandfather, on the other hand, is a leprechaun. ::D: (Brigid's story of how she captured him is remarkably similar to that of Megan and I. But more directly successful - Patrick was smart enough to stop running right away.)

The Auld Grump - I still have no idea what an Ensign in the US Coast Guard was doing in Dublin, Ireland in the 1960s. But, given the results, I am glad he was there. ::):

• Like 5
  • Haha 4

Our seats are so, so much better than expected. Like holy crap. We're 6 rows back from the pit. My friend that bought the tickets lied to me. She paid more than double what she told me she paid and what I paid her back for. This is gonna be so awesome!

• Like 11

*sigh* Got tasked once again with trying to get my son's iphone to send and receive text messages. No go. Tried all the steps I could find online, which got us into a help webpage loop (if this doesn't work, go to Page 2, if that doesn't work, go to Page 3, if that doesn't work, go to Page 1). Took it to the Apple store to get some "genius" help, and they suggested restarting it (yeah, we did), then maybe making sure with the carrier that we've got a text plan (we do). Finally, they suggested a restore as a new phone.

Guess what still doesn't work? Oooo! Good guess!

So putting back the way it was. Rotten scum software.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 6

20 hours ago, Kangaroorex said:

I sympathize.  One major medical catastrophe on your record and everyone assumes you're going to drop every time you get a twinge.

That and those neat tricks people can do occasionally with their bodies.  Don t do that in a doctor's office.  If I concentrate I can get my heart to skip a few beats.  It's harmless and I've done it for the occasional bet or beer all my life.  Do it in front of a doctor who's taking your pulse... And it's a free trip to the OR for you.  

I spent the day denying it was possible to the doctors and doing it for the nurses and the interns for pudding cups.

I am easily amused...

When I was in the hospital at the age of seventeen, the doctors hated me and the nurses threatened to slap me.

By then I had already spent several years reading up on  and practicing all sorts of mind-over-matter stuff. I literally had a doctor threaten to sedate me because I was bored and using the monitors I was hooked up to to raise and lower not just my heart rate but also my blood pressure and temperature...  :bday:

Which may have been why they were less than impressed by my ability to dislocate my thumbs at will.

20 hours ago, redambrosia said:

Observations from the drive to Tahoe:

South of Medford Oregon looks like hobbit country.

Twisty roads are the darkest roads.

The speed limit is much much too high on twisty roads.

People le seem annoyed when you don't go over the speed limit on twisty roads.

Sounds like most of Connecticut... Once you get a mile or two outside the center of town (any town), the roads aren't roads so much as a continuous series of random sharp and gradual turns.

I once described CT's geography to a friend from Mississippi by telling her to take about five hundred square miles of topography from some place in the Appalachians like WV with all the mountains and hollows and long windy country roads, and then shrink it down in scale to about one square mile, so all the mountains are small hills. (And then sprinkle rocks everywhere, lol.)

1 hour ago, Unruly said:

Our seats are so, so much better than expected. Like holy crap. We're 6 rows back from the pit. My friend that bought the tickets lied to me. She paid more than double what she told me she paid and what I paid her back for. This is gonna be so awesome!

You have good friends... ::D:

• Like 11

Jack is potentially thinking of going out tonight, despite the fact that he can barely walk and is half dead right now and about to fall asleep in his chair...

Jack knows this is a stupid thing to do, but Jack hates having limits placed upon him by anything or anyone, even his own mortality.

Fortunately, Jack is quite likely to simply fall over before he manages to get fed, showered, shaved, dressed and out the door. (Jack feels drained just typing that.)

• Like 7