Froggy the Great

Randomness XIV: THE FLOOR IS LAVA!

On 6/9/2018 at 9:00 AM, Chaoswolf said:

Quite true. I've experienced this from both sides. My guess is that locals know the twisty roads like the back of their hand and can drive safely on it, so become annoyed with someone who is not familiar with the road.

A lot of it is that. I grew up on a narrow, kind of winding, rural road and I could almost drive it like a rally track when I lived on it. I knew where all the potholes were, where I was most likely to meet other cars, etc. I can still do it even though I haven't loved on that road for 8 years, but I don't simply because the potholes have gotten progressively worse and I don't know where all of them are anymore.

But then there's also the corollary that the people who don't know those roads often go far, far slower than they need to. A windy road with a speed limit of 40 doesn't mean you should be going 15 just because you don't know the road. If you can't keep at least half the speed limit when the road is clear and there's no physical obstacle to your path, then you need to go back for driving lessons. And I've run into those people far more often than I've run into people who go way too fast in the same circumstance. To me, they're right up there with those people who can't seem to make a turn off the road without coming to a complete stop. You're on a 4 lane road and traffic is moving at 50mph, but you can't turn off to the store or whatever without pulling your car to a complete stop in the middle of the road first? You don't know how to just slow down and turn while the car is still in motion? Go back for driving lessons, because you shouldn't be behind the wheel. You're a hazard to everyone else on the road at that point, because you're intentionally altering the flow of traffic in an unsafe way.

On 6/9/2018 at 10:10 AM, Cyradis said:

My truck doesn't do well going fast in general, and less so on twists. He has a great turning radius, but is high profile, so careening around curves would be a recipe for a roll-over. 

I've been driving a small, low car for so long that I almost forgot how different it is to drive a big brick of a vehicle. Then last weekend I borrowed my sister's Toyota Highlander when I took my nephew with me to an SCA event. I was doing what I normally do on the interstate on-ramp, which is actually accelerating to interstate speeds, and when I hit the turn in the on-ramp I had to drop my speed back down to like 50mph because I could feel the car shifting. My car handles on-ramp turns at the full 70mph with no problem at all, so when there's no one in front of me, that's what I do. But a big SUV? Yea, nope, can't do it.

12 hours ago, TGP said:

I have just launched rocket propelled Garden Gnomes from a Trebuchet

Garden Gnomes are an act of war! My friends are now preparing counter battery fire. Prepare to receive opened, half-empty, industrial-size cans of nacho cheese!

Edited by Unruly
  • Like 9

2 hours ago, haldir said:

386540.jpg

The Pezlermobile !! Like a batmobile, only more colors. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 6

5 minutes ago, TGP said:

The Pezlermobile !! Like a batmobile, only more colors. 

You can have a Batmobile painted in any color you want so long as it's black.

Edited by Unruly
  • Haha 8

I'm painting wings!

15286742884848965904070383094479.thumb.jpg.426099bf5072c297f34cb7d0b66cf0ee.jpg

I was going to go to paint day today but after grocery shopping the weather turned to broccoli. Oh well. It's twice a month, I'll make it to one eventually. I also still need to inquire about the competition they're doing in August. I may be out of state on the day of judging so need to find out if I can even enter...

• Like 11

24 minutes ago, Unruly said:

You can have a Batmobile painted in any color you want so long as it's black.

Pezler, the Bright Knight....

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 8

22 minutes ago, haldir said:

Pezler, the Bright Knight....

Does that mean his sidekick can only wear black? I mean Batman is dark and poor Robin wears bright colours so all the bad guys track him instead. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, Unruly said:

Garden Gnomes are an act of war! My friends are now preparing counter battery fire. 

Don't make me set the Marigolds, Daisies, and Geraniums to max..! <_<

(Anybody else manage to crack 2000?)

• Like 5

I really need to be somewhere else. After my lizard's passing I can't kick the feeling of being betrayed by my home and my neighborhood. I look at dogs and don't see snuggles, I see violence. I look at neighbors I don't know and see incompetent idiots. I don't like it. 

• Sad 20

1 hour ago, Zink said:

Does that mean his sidekick can only wear black? I mean Batman is dark and poor Robin wears bright colours so all the bad guys track him instead. 

My sidekick will be named Flumph.:lol:

• Like 8

On 6/7/2018 at 9:49 PM, OneBoot said:

For those that might have missed it:

Huzzah! 

--OneBoot :D

I totally missed it. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

2 minutes ago, TGP said:

I totally missed it. 

Let me know if you need help figuring out how to sign up for and buy classes and I'll be happy to assist. The new Reapercon ticket site is...extraordinarily un-intuitive. :wacko:

Huzzah! 

--OneBoot :D 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Bought some Stroopwaffles from the farmer's market...  Then promptly stored them on their side for a few hours.  There's a nice caramel coating along one side of all five of them now, oops. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 2

Well, watched the Bethesda E3 presentation solely for Fallout 76, and solely because Fallout 76 is based in WV. They killed my interest in the game with 2 words - "online only." They said it was playable solo, but then never said anything about how it was playable solo. They never said if there was specifically way to actually shut your game out of the online experience or if it just meant running around by yourself in an online server. It was heavily implied to be the latter, and they kept saying "it's meant to be played with other people" and "all the other characters will be real people."

• Sad 7

15 minutes ago, Unruly said:

Well, watched the Bethesda E3 presentation solely for Fallout 76, and solely because Fallout 76 is based in WV. They killed my interest in the game with 2 words - "online only." They said it was playable solo, but then never said anything about how it was playable solo. They never said if there was specifically way to actually shut your game out of the online experience or if it just meant running around by yourself in an online server. It was heavily implied to be the latter, and they kept saying "it's meant to be played with other people" and "all the other characters will be real people."

same.

I have nothing good to say about online multiplayer.

• Like 4