Froggy the Great

Randomness XIV: THE FLOOR IS LAVA!

2 hours ago, Chaoswolf said:

Actually liking my job means that I don't quite dislike Monday as much. I mean, yeah I wish it was still the weekend, but I don't feel like I'm about to meet my doom.

Don t worry about it too much.  It's a phase... it will pass the first time Murphy and the god of Mondays decide to pay attention to you at the same time

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

38 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:

Stroopwafels are the best when warmed up over a cup of hot beverage, making the caramel a bit runny.

Also...Stroopwafels covered in additional syrup like what happened here is no problem, you just have to eat them all.

I'm looking forward to trying such this afternoon, when I get home from work.  Would have tried this morning but figured I wouldn't test my coordination at five am ^_^

And nah, I'll be nice and let Rune have at least one of the five pack... :grr:

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

I managed to step aside from my emotional self before the Saturday dinner - and realized that Megan's dad is dealing with a mother that was dying a few months ago, from cancer, with the constant fear that the cancer will come back.

If the cancer had been either higher or lower, she would have needed a bag, because they would have removed a good deal more of her intestines.

A reason for anybody to look defeated.

I used to have an easier time of setting aside my emotions. It kind of used to be my default state.

The Auld Grump

• Like 6

[Sigh] Moving is expensive.

Current moving company quotes are all in the same range of about $9-10K, estimating my moving weight at 6000 lbs and about $1.15/lb (including full packing service). There's one company that's much cheaper, but they're not available until many weeks later.

I considered the argument that I could leave everything behind and buy everything new again. But it would cost me the same, if not more as I own all of my major appliances and the new place is completely unfurnished and I have zero free time for a garage sale or classified ads (that and I'm over 3000km away).

Anyhow, I'm fine tuning my demands, adding more specific info (i.e. staircase surcharge), and looking at online reviews and BBB reports to make sure the company has a good reputation (one of the quoted companies has very bad reviews).

• Like 7

58 minutes ago, Cranky Dog said:

[Sigh] Moving is expensive.

Current moving company quotes are all in the same range of about $9-10K, estimating my moving weight at 6000 lbs and about $1.15/lb (including full packing service). There's one company that's much cheaper, but they're not available until many weeks later.

I considered the argument that I could leave everything behind and buy everything new again. But it would cost me the same, if not more as I own all of my major appliances and the new place is completely unfurnished and I have zero free time for a garage sale or classified ads (that and I'm over 3000km away).

Anyhow, I'm fine tuning my demands, adding more specific info (i.e. staircase surcharge), and looking at online reviews and BBB reports to make sure the company has a good reputation (one of the quoted companies has very bad reviews).

Speaking as someone who has moved with moving companies more times than I would like to admit, don't lowball the moving bid.  that price is not all that much different than what I paid the last time I moved and that was a while ago.  I also found that coffee and donuts or soda and sandwiches tend to improve the whole moving experience

• Like 12

7 minutes ago, Kangaroorex said:

I also found that coffee and donuts or soda  beer and sandwiches tend to improve the whole moving experience

FTFY.. 

at least, that was the case when we were packed out of our quarters in Germany :B):

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

4 minutes ago, eldamir said:

FTFY.. 

at least, that was the case when we were packed out of our quarters in Germany :B):

In the US, puritan prudish state that we are, offering beer to workers on the clock is cruel and libel to have the opposite effect of what you are looking for. 

It may not be right, but that is unfortunately the way the world works. 

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, Kangaroorex said:

In the US, puritan prudish state that we are, offering beer to workers on the clock is cruel and libel to have the opposite effect of what you are looking for. 

It may not be right, but that is unfortunately the way the world works. 

Aye.. Soda / coffee / donuts have been the staple for moving 'bribes' since we got back to the states, but leaving a case of the local brew ( don't even recall what it was now ) out for the workers was a great incentive over there!  

• Like 7

30 minutes ago, Kangaroorex said:

Speaking as someone who has moved with moving companies more times than I would like to admit, don't lowball the moving bid.  that price is not all that much different than what I paid the last time I moved and that was a while ago.  I also found that coffee and donuts or soda and sandwiches tend to improve the whole moving experience

I've heard enough moving horror stories that I know to be wary and not cheap out needlessly. But since the cross-country moving companies offer roughly the same price, I'll be going more by calendar availability.

And having seen professional packers at work, they are worth the extra cost.

As for the coffee and donuts. I got a Tim Hortons nearby, so there's that. But at my destination, nary a single donut shop within an hour's drive.

Edited by Cranky Dog
  • Like 2
  • Sad 7

58 minutes ago, Cranky Dog said:

But at my destination, nary a single donut shop within an hour's drive.

That's...That's... Horrible!  Where are you moving to?  How will you get your sugar fix?

That is impressive.  between Dunkin Donuts, Crispy Cream and Tim Horton's I thought they had taken over the world.  I suppose you could provide bacon... 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Kangaroorex said:

That's...That's... Horrible!  Where are you moving to?  How will you get your sugar fix?

That is impressive.  between Dunkin Donuts, Crispy Cream and Tim Horton's I thought they had taken over the world.  I suppose you could provide bacon... 

Crispy Creme still has not that many locations in Canada...  So wish we would get one in Edmonton, fore xample.  Nearest one is a good three hours away... 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Kangaroorex said:

At the same time, when a vendor comes to our company, and brings Tim Hortons, he gets extra love.

Unless he brings muffins. We're not *that* desperate.

The town I'm moving to is called Lebel-sur-Quévillon.

Edited by Cranky Dog
  • Like 8