Froggy the Great

Randomness XIV: THE FLOOR IS LAVA!

9 minutes ago, Cyradis said:

I defend my thesis tomorrow at the buttcrack of dawn. 

A fire broke out a valley away from my adviser's cabin this morning. Sure as heck hope this gets contained swiftly. 

Offer your bed just in case... you can always crash on someone else's sofa... but getting everyone there for the Defense?  Absolutely mandatory!!!

Good luck!  If your advisor is like our faculty are... they won't let you set the defense date unless you are ready.  Just review one time after supper and GO TO SLEEP!

You got this!  (But good luck anyway!)

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, Grayfax said:

Offer your bed just in case... you can always crash on someone else's sofa... but getting everyone there for the Defense?  Absolutely mandatory!!!

Good luck!  If your advisor is like our faculty are... they won't let you set the defense date unless you are ready.  Just review one time after supper and GO TO SLEEP!

You got this!  (But good luck anyway!)

I'm putting the finishing touches on my presentation now. I ran through it with my adviser and a friend yesterday - they had minor critique (more labels, tidy up this part, switch the order of those slides). I think it will be okay, as long as I can wake my butt up and get out of bed! 

Afterward, beermosas. It will barely be breakfast time when I finish!

Adviser does have a place in town just a few blocks away so he's not at risk of having nowhere to stay; it is his weekend retreat and future retirement house that is in danger. He's been going up there more and more regularly as retirement approaches, and he wants to go have fun in the mountains. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Cyradis said:

A fire broke out a valley away from my adviser's cabin this morning. Sure as heck hope this gets contained swiftly. 

One of my brothers is a BLM wildland fire fighter.. I'm sure he'll have it fixed for you by tomorrow!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

This is how my day is going:

- woke up to my alarm system going off because of a water alarm in the basement. Sump pump had failed.  At the time I discovered it, the water was simply in my wife's glass shop, which is still concrete floor.  By the time I troubleshot it, and got to the hardware store, it had reached the carpet, despite my efforts to stop it. 

- upon returning from the hardware store, i noticed my mailbox tilting at an angle. As I was running out the hose for the temporary pump I just bought, i realized it had been hit recently. 

Finally got the basement to stop flooding, the new sump pump installed, and everything drying out, so I started looking through my camera footage to see who hit my mailbox when. I was thinking it was going to be the garbage man. I was wrong. 

http://www.facebook.com/chris.heismann/videos/vb.100000878185385/1794855613887027/?type=3

Edited by kristof65
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 9

1 hour ago, Grayfax said:

That's ok... @knarthex is over there Metaling for me... I figure some of us just need to keep the 80's alive.  Not bubblegum pop 80s... but some of the better songs that sounded good in Arenas.

But... but.... it HAS to be a dinosaur... it shows up in my collection in Jurassic World Alive!  Therefore, it MUST be a dinosaur!!! (and a Rare one too!)

42 minutes ago, Kangaroorex said:

You would both appreciate my younger son.  He's mellowed as he's gotten older but he used to be a fanatic about Jurassic and Triassic megafauna and would be very corrective whenever anyone called a dimetrodon a dinosaur.

Sounds like a bright mind!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TheAuldGrump said:

I may have accidentally entered Stealth Mode....

Or she has heard me whistle 'Away to Hilo' so often that she automatically tuned it out, so it wasn't until I was right behind her and asking if she wanted any iced tea that she heard me at all....

Could be worse -

One night at the church, I was stealing the coal
Over the ground and under the ground
And what did I see? well, I'll tell you it whole
Over and under the ground.

A sleepy old miner was walking alone
Over the ground, and under the ground
And he nipped through the graveyard to find his way home

He was thinking of only the time he could save
When he tumbled into an unoccupied grave
Over and under the ground

He picked himself up and he scrambled about
But try as he might he just couldn't get out

Not being the kind who would whimper and weep
He laid down in a corner and went off to sleep

The miner was sleeping not caring at all
When Ivor the driver nipped over the wall

The night it was dark and Ivor was full
When he tripped and he fell in that very same hole
Over and under the ground

He ranted and raved and he cursed and he swore
And he wakened the miner asleep on the floor

Now, Ivor was sure there was no one about
When a voice from the dark says "You'll never get out"

The grave it was dark and exceedingly deep
But Ivor the driver was out in one leap

The sleepy old miner he scratched and he spat
and he says to himself, "Now, how'ed he do that"?

Well the miner remembers his night with the dead
But, Ivor the driver is strapped in his bed

- Ivor the Driver
©1967 Dave Goulder

The Auld Grump - kind of amazed that I couldn't find that on YouTube....

Aha!

The Auld Grump

Is it just me, or is the search engine on YouTube a complete idiot? (Google had no trouble... but YouTube had nuthin'....)

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

8 hours ago, Grayfax said:

Tuesday, lovely Tuesday... (you're welcome for the U2 you now have in your head life!)

I've never heard that song, (or if I have, I don't remember it) so my mind just substituted Sabbath, Bloody Sabbath instead.

3 hours ago, Grayfax said:

That's ok... @knarthex is over there Metaling for me... I figure some of us just need to keep the 80's alive.  Not bubblegum pop 80s... but some of the better songs that sounded good in Arenas.

I think this song (or just about anything by them, really) fits the bill:

2 hours ago, Cyradis said:

If you had said it was before the buttcrack of dawn I'd feel bad for you. Since it's not....::P:

Good luck!

2 hours ago, kristof65 said:

This is how my day is going:

- woke up to my alarm system going off because of a water alarm in the basement. Sump pump had failed.  At the time I discovered it, the water was simply in my wife's glass shop, which is still concrete floor.  By the time I troubleshot it, and got to the hardware store, it had reached the carpet, despite my efforts to stop it. 

- upon returning from the hardware store, i noticed my mailbox tilting at an angle. As I was running out the hose for the temporary pump I just bought, i realized it had been hit recently. 

Finally got the basement to stop flooding, the new sump pump installed, and everything drying out, so I started looking through my camera footage to see who hit my mailbox when. I was thinking it was going to be the garbage man. I was wrong. 

http://www.facebook.com/chris.heismann/videos/vb.100000878185385/1794855613887027/?type=3

I hate to break it to you, but you've got more problems that that....your lawn is purple.

(That's pretty sucktastic though, I certainly hope that your week improves.)

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

Yesterday the weather was nice. It was low 70's and 75% humidity. Kinda sweaty, but not sweltering. Today, not so much. It's low 80's and 65% humidity. That extra 10 degrees is enough to make it a sticky, sweaty day.

I want to go home. Or at least have a nice breeze kick up.

• Sad 2

3 hours ago, Cyradis said:

I'm putting the finishing touches on my presentation now. I ran through it with my adviser and a friend yesterday - they had minor critique (more labels, tidy up this part, switch the order of those slides). I think it will be okay, as long as I can wake my butt up and get out of bed! 

Afterward, beermosas. It will barely be breakfast time when I finish!

Adviser does have a place in town just a few blocks away so he's not at risk of having nowhere to stay; it is his weekend retreat and future retirement house that is in danger. He's been going up there more and more regularly as retirement approaches, and he wants to go have fun in the mountains. 

Try not to stress too much.

A little is good, a lot is bad.

We all know that you know your material.

It's just a matter of going through the process.

Best of Luck and stay loose.

GEM

• Like 5

My dad surprised me and showed up today so he can see the presentation. We're having tea now. 

Just have to roll out of bed tomorrow morning... bah!

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Cyradis said:

My dad surprised me and showed up today so he can see the presentation. We're having tea now. 

You can do it!

• Like 7

Apparently, my weather app keeps my phone screen from turning off. So when I put it in my pocket, it stayed on. This resulted in my walking triggering a bunch of app switching and then a barrage of emojis being posted to a friend's Facebook post. It also resulted in my battery draining by half in about an hour.

I'm not amused.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 3

1 hour ago, Cyradis said:

I've always had faith that you can do this. Show us that you have the rocks to become a Canadian!

• Like 6
  • Haha 3

On ‎6‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 3:24 PM, WhiteWulfe said:

Hey.....  Edmonton isn't that bad :p. .....Says the person who's lived here for ages...

I suppose it all depends on your perspective though ^_^

A year and a half ago we brought the entire family (including oldest's girlfriend) to Edmonton for Christmas.  She looked at us funny when we said things like "It's not that cold" when it was -18C.  But truly, the lack of humidity makes it not as bad.  Cold temps on the coast really chill you to the bone.  

6 hours ago, Cyradis said:

You have so got this.  I've only been to one thesis defense, but I'm glad your Dad took the time to come see yours.  Extra help to make sure you get there.  You'll knock it out of the park.  :wub: 

• Like 7