Froggy the Great

Randomness XIV: THE FLOOR IS LAVA!

12 hours ago, kristof65 said:

This is how my day is going:

- woke up to my alarm system going off because of a water alarm in the basement. Sump pump had failed.  At the time I discovered it, the water was simply in my wife's glass shop, which is still concrete floor.  By the time I troubleshot it, and got to the hardware store, it had reached the carpet, despite my efforts to stop it. 

- upon returning from the hardware store, i noticed my mailbox tilting at an angle. As I was running out the hose for the temporary pump I just bought, i realized it had been hit recently. 

Finally got the basement to stop flooding, the new sump pump installed, and everything drying out, so I started looking through my camera footage to see who hit my mailbox when. I was thinking it was going to be the garbage man. I was wrong. 

http://www.facebook.com/chris.heismann/videos/vb.100000878185385/1794855613887027/?type=3

7 hours ago, Cyradis said:

My dad surprised me and showed up today so he can see the presentation. We're having tea now. 

Just have to roll out of bed tomorrow morning... bah!

You don't need it but best of luck anyway!

3 hours ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

What rocks help with a bleeding nose? Maybe hematite?

Bloodstone?

27 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:

I wish you strength!

Poor furball.

I offer my support and strength as well

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, redambrosia said:

@Unruly that concert looks amazing! You're so lucky!

It was amazing! And Slayer's pyro was so great. And I was close enough that, at least for the bigger bits, I really felt the heat.

I really thought it was about the best way to "celebrate" being told that both of the people I went with will be moving to New York(Rochester area) soon. One will be leaving next month, and the other will be joining her in 6 months to a year. Because they're a couple and all that. I can't be mad, because the one that's leaving first got a job up there making almost 6 figures, but it sucks because they're the people I'm most likely to hang out with just to watch movies or something.

Edited by Unruly
  • Like 6

My brother's wedding was pretty fun. The trip was kinda brutal, due mostly to the bed in the airbnb we booked, but we made it. 

The wedding was at a little resort near Nevada City, California (which is near Tahoe). It was a really pretty area. My brother rented out the whole lodge, though we didn't get to stay there. They had a very nerdy theme going on; Star Trek, Star Wars, and Harry Potter were the main influences, though they had some doctor who, marvel, and dc stuff too. 

Instead of a guest book, they had us all sign a Star Trek ship plaque. The USS (combined-names), with the  commencement dates and everything. It was pretty awesome. 

Lunch was a smorgasBORG, with a borg cube at the center of the table :lol: 

The pergola they said their vows at had keys with wings "flying" in it, along with tiny lights. It was really beautiful. 

Oh, I need to back up. While we were getting things set up, various of us were taken aside and given paperclips. Before the ceremony we would be given need guns. :devil:

Anyway, the ceremony was really sweet and lovely, with all of us blowing bubbles. At the end of it, my brother picked up a red light saber and said, "CLONE TROOPS, EXECUTE ORDER 66!!" And we got to shoot all the people who had light sabers!! It was so fun! 

Thankfully, Hubby was also a clone trooper. I told him if anyone was going to take him out it would have been me :lol: 

Unfortunately, there was some stupid drama at that point that almost had Hubby and I leaving, but my brother convinced us to stay. We left after the pictures though, mostly because it was getting dark, and I didn't fancy driving those narrow roads in the dark. 

Family drama:

After the ceremony there was a great deal of silliness with the nerf guns (surprising, right?). At one point, my three nieces were ganging up on Hubby, while he tried to shoot them back. One of my nieces didn't like getting hit in the face, and stomped off. 

She went to sulk, and of course my oldest brother (the douche), found out what happened and went storming off to cause a scene. I think he talked to our brother about it, I don't know. 

Anyway, Hubby tried to apologize to my niece, but she just blew him off. Like I said, we were about to leave, but my brother convinced us to stay.

Here's the thing that angers me the most: all three of them were actively trying to hit Hubby in the face. He wasn't even aiming at them. One of them actually got him in the ear so good that his ear was bleeding. 

The next morning she was still acting like he's killed her puppy.

Anyway, we took my mom to the train station in Sacramento, then headed north. Because the bed we tried sleeping in was so hard, Hubby had barely slept, so he couldn't drive. So I drove almost the entire 16 hours it took us to get home. I was so sore :wacko: But we made it! 

And we still have the bubble potions and nerf guns. ^_^ 

• Like 9

Gotta love kids...

That's like how one year there was a really annoying kid(about 10-12 years old) who came into our camp uninvited(multiple times!) at an SCA event and got hit with a nerf arrow by one of the teenagers in our camp after he told her to get out and she didn't. Despite the fact that she came into our camp uninvited, which is a big no-no, and didn't leave when told, another big no-no, the fact that she got hit with a foam arrow turned into a big deal that almost resulted in the teenager and his parents being kicked off site because her mom kept trying to say they shot the kid with a slingshot and rocks or something.

Later that week the same kid went into a pirate camp uninvited, after being warned that if she came into the camp she would be attacked with water balloons, and got pelted with 5 or 6 water balloons. The mom tried to get them kicked out, too. Try keeping your kid from wandering into other peoples' camps and actually parenting rather than blaming everyone else for your kid going where they aren't allowed to go.

I want to say that the kid and her mom got told that if she continued to go into other peoples' camps uninvited, because it was a recurring problem, that it would be the kid and her mom removed from the site, not the people who yell at her kid to get lost and then throw harmless things at her when she doesn't listen.

So, yea, kids and overprotective parents...

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Yeah, but she's not a kid anymore. Not that that actually means anything. She's acting like a spoiled brat.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

What rocks help with a bleeding nose? Maybe hematite?

I'm not an expert like @Cyradis, but in my experience rocks are much more likely to cause a bleeding nose...

5 hours ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

Made the call to the vet to bring Marmalade in on Friday.

I'm very sorry to hear it, Pezler.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Cyradis said:

You pick ONE booger and don't even scrape the side of the nostril and BAM. Red fountain of blood spewing out the nose and hitting a good blue blouse. BAH. 

Both I and  my son experience this sort of spontaneous nasal exsanguination.   After the third time on the same road trip it sorta loses its appeal.

3 hours ago, Unruly said:

It was amazing! And Slayer's pyro was so great. And I was close enough that, at least for the bigger bits, I really felt the heat.

I really thought it was about the best way to "celebrate" being told that both of the people I went with will be moving to New York(Rochester area) soon. One will be leaving next month, and the other will be joining her in 6 months to a year. Because they're a couple and all that. I can't be mad, because the one that's leaving first got a job up there making almost 6 figures, but it sucks because they're the people I'm most likely to hang out with just to watch movies or something.

I left Rochester 11 years ago because it had  no economy other than Xerox and the UofR.  Good to see it's improved.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Gadgetman! said:

If it takes you 6 - 8 minutes to put Liner on a gnome, you may be doing something wrong... or use a too small brush... ;-)

I suspect that time estimate was based off of a few things.  Yup, a small brush (most of mine are just size 0, and my main priming one pretty much is a size 0),and of course taking it slow as I wanted to see where things would go with this experiment. 

Also, gnomes are tiny, and making sure you aren't obscuring a bunch of details doubles the time you spend painting :p

And yup, an estimated amount of time, because I didn't look at the clock, and I didn't have music going at the time either. 

She seems to have turned out ok.  Dark, and rather dark at that, but it's workable, and most importantly wasn't an annoying pain to deal with, unlike my bottle of white primer. 

• Like 3

In the ring you just plug a bloody nose with cotten balls ... carful when they are removed though, could start over again.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, redambrosia said:

Yeah, but she's not a kid anymore. Not that that actually means anything. She's acting like a spoiled brat.

Just a little while ago there was a comment on man-babies.  The same can be said of woman-babies, although they act a little differently: more petulant and demanding than whiny and needy, but the name still applies.  

As for the kid in the camp, sometimes curiosity and loneliness can get the better of anybody and physical rejection can be very hard to take.  I have tried make it my job when I was in the SCA to corral active spectators and get them somewhere safe where they can watch and maybe take part.  We were, After all playing pretend like they can only dream of.

2 hours ago, Chaoswolf said:

I'm not an expert like @Cyradis, but in my experience rocks are much more likely to cause a bleeding nose

A good dry sandstone or clay based shake can absorb a lot of blood... forever

• Like 6

When the parts supplier drops in for a visit and brings your favorite kind of donuts, and you get the first pick. ::D::wub::bday:

• Like 7

8 hours ago, Cyradis said:

Well I might need to grind some of that up to nibble on, for the sake of my lost iron!! 

Courtney Willis, who does a Science show at the local literary SF con, demonstrated that "high iron" cereals are called that because they add iron filings. With water instead of milk and a good magnet, you can replicate that experiment. 

Probably less of a problem for your teeth.

Also, I'd say "Good Luck", but I don't know whether that would be a bad thing for a Geologist. And I think "Break a rock" is a prison thing.

Maybe, "Crush it!"? ::D:

3 hours ago, redambrosia said:

Sounds like the father isn't bringing enough lack of sympathy to the table. It's one of the most important things fathers do. (Really; not intended as a joke.)

• Like 5

I find that black pudding is the best option for improving iron Levels. That, and Vitamin C because it helps Your body absorb the iron.   

Note, that black pudding, black sausage or whatever it's called where you live should be sliced thinly, then fried at a low to medium heat in plenty of butter or oil. 

Do NOT use high heat as you'll only end up with a hard outer crust and a soggy middle. You want neither of those...

Serve With mashed potatoes, fries or pan-fried potatoe Slices, and possibly a salad... (I always have salad, and a good dollop of Thousand Island dressing)

And now I'm suddenly hungry...   

And it's just a couple of hours since I had a big helping of BBQ meats With lots of side dishes.

The owners of the Office building I work in always serve up a free BBQ meal in June, before anyone goes on vacation. And it's not just for the employees, but for any of our guests, too. And the carpenters doing a remodel up on the 3rd floor got 'orders' to move their behinds down to the cantina, too... 

(There's quite a few more Meetings held on this day than normal... )

• Like 5