Froggy the Great

Randomness XIV: THE FLOOR IS LAVA!

Oh yeah, the Renn-fair I went to on Sunday:

Being a complete dolt, I failed to take any pictures.

I couldn't; I didn't have time you see.

While I was relaxing in the local tavern washing the road dust from my mouth, a stranger approached me and requested my aid in the completion of an epic quest. He had retrieved an item of great value from the lair of an evil sorcerer.  Unfortunately, he had been injured in the effort, and was unable to deliver it to it's proper owner, a fair maiden of noble standing. After agreeing to terms, I swore a mighty oath that I would be successful or meet my doom in the attempt. I immediately headed for the marketplace to get some supplies for my trek. While I was there, I noticed that there was a group of dangerous looking men who had an undue amount of interest in me. On the eve of my second day of travel, I was beset by these ruffians who demanded I relinquish the item I was carrying. Beseeching my god for aid, I roared a battle cry and began to fight for my life. It was a horrible battle, but in the end only I stood on the battlefield, surrounded by the bodies of my foes. I heard the sound of horses and men at arms. Although victorious, I had been injured, so I took to the woods in order to evade them. I don't know how long I was in the woods; the Fae took great delight in leading me on a merry chase. Finally, I was discovered by a group of friendly druids and their feathered companions, who took me in until I regained my strength. I was fortunate to stumble upon a group of minstrels on the road who welcomed me into their company for several days of travel. After parting ways, I traveled on alone for another week until I came across the camp of some Norsemen. They offered me the hospitality of their fire and we were up until late into the night telling tales. I discovered that they were traveling to the capital to arrange  trade, so I spent the rest of my journey with them. Upon reaching our destination, I was finally able to part ways with them only after promising to join them the next evening at one of the local drinking halls. Eventually, I was able to track down the noble lady, and discharge my quest.

(The not so heroic version: I ran into someone in costume who was playing with a rather large button. I started to talk to him, one thing led to another, and I ended up in possession of said button. The button represented a curse that had been placed on him, and now was on me. I had to go pawn it off to a certain lady to 'be free of the curse'. If I could manage this, he'd buy me a beer. {The location was a local farm that brewed their own beer} So, I wandered around checking out the shows and vendors until I actually managed to find my target and slipped the button into her belt pouch.:devil:   I found the quest giver, explained what I had done, we went and found the target, who was appropriately upset upon finding the button, laughs were had, and I got my beer.)

So, I had a good time.:lol:

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 11

17 hours ago, WhiteWulfe said:

An evening of.... Frustrating fighting with my bottle of white primer and bones minis...  So I grabbed a spare mini I had lying around (Ingrid, Gnome Rogue or something like that) and said screw it, let's see what Grey Liner does.  6-8 minutes later with no fighting, whole thing was primed, and doesn't seem to have lost any detail either. 

.... Now here's hoping the paint sticks, because it would be nice to be able to put down a solid, good base coat without fighting a bunch. 

Silly purple hound thing wouldn't take white primer, even when washed three times good and deeply scrubbed, not to mention even with the primer not having any thinning going on. 

But grey liner seems to work.  We shall see in the morning. 

Purple hound thing? Is it the translucent one? I had no problems after using liner on it. Just trying to help pit your mind at ease. ^.^

• Like 3

Went to the baseball game last night. I was pretty miserable. Once we got up to our seats I immediately had to get up to go to the bathroom because my stomach was very upset. I did not make it to the bathroom, I puked all over the stairs, my purse, and husband. 

After all that I spent most of the game zoned out. But we won! So that was good. I've spent most of today sleeping it off. Might get some painting time in today if I can get up some energy.

• Sad 13

I painted faces today. Up until now these two were nearly identical (except for the pink flowers). I have my new really good close up glasses and a fresh, sharp brush, so I had some fun doing different expressions.

This one is May:

DSC_0521-face.jpg.add06f99082e24ee48f1c99d586a40ff.jpg   DSC_0522-face.jpg.d572c4b27d82fc4e0cb8b4b44c1c34dd.jpg

... And this is Julie:

DSC_0524-face.jpg.e42321efe403bcc32ad3b123cdad763a.jpg   DSC_0525-face.jpg.ec14231a45dc48d1d2c5910b34306e9d.jpg

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, pcktlnt said:

Purple hound thing? Is it the translucent one? I had no problems after using liner on it. Just trying to help pit your mind at ease. ^.^

Yup, 77366 Shadow Hound to be precise.  We're going to be soaking it in simply green, because yeah, that bottle of primer I have clearly has gone bad or something.  It should not take 14 drops of primer to coat something of that size., and still have the paint peel/bubble up in a few places...  Or pop completely off the base.

Sadly, we'll probably be doing the exact same thing to hubby's Ebonwrath, because he's tired of constantly fixing the paint job and it not sticking....  And I don't blame him.  I might wind up having to soak mine too, since I'm having paint peel off of a few areas whether I want it to or not >.<

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

6 hours ago, Cyradis said:

Well... I survived. My adviser is pleased. My committee member who Skyped in from Switzerland asked me a lot of questions, but good and fair questions, and seemed content in the end. The physics professor on my committee blustered and asked questions that didn't seem grounded in reality, but did prompt me to improve upon one aspect. Not sure he was happy, but probably will be after talking to the others. He had to take off right after the presentation so he didn't get to talk with my adviser right away; official "passed" or not is technically still up in the air. Pretty sure I passed though. 

Now I get to make some edits and tweaks, submit the thesis, and then trim the heck out of it to submit for publication to a mineralogical journal. 

Had a beermosa for brunch. Dunno if I should take a nap now or not.

YAYYYYYY!!!!!!!!

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Cyradis said:

Well... I survived. My adviser is pleased. My committee member who Skyped in from Switzerland asked me a lot of questions, but good and fair questions, and seemed content in the end. The physics professor on my committee blustered and asked questions that didn't seem grounded in reality, but did prompt me to improve upon one aspect. Not sure he was happy, but probably will be after talking to the others. He had to take off right after the presentation so he didn't get to talk with my adviser right away; official "passed" or not is technically still up in the air. Pretty sure I passed though. 

Now I get to make some edits and tweaks, submit the thesis, and then trim the heck out of it to submit for publication to a mineralogical journal. 

WOOT!

• Like 2

@Cyradis

Happy for you is the best emotion I can relate for your description of your Thesis Presentation.

Hopefully the others on your committee will set the Physics Prof straight on the geology/mineralogy focus of the paper.

Sounds like one of those types that is so narrowly focused on his own special field of interest that he might as well be wearing horse blinkers as a warning to others when he is dealing with the rest of the world.

Take enough time to de-stress but get your changes/polishing done while the suggestions are still fresh in your mind.

GEM

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Crowley said:

@Cyradis definitely this!!

Or just beer... *shrug* but I'm kinda anti adding things to beer.

I'm also anti adding things to beer.

It's a waste of perfectly good things.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Today it hit me. It suddenly hit me. I live in Philadelphia. This is home now. I no longer live in Los Angeles.

But wait, I hear you say. Haven't you lived in Philly for a year now? Yes, yes I have. Exactly one year this Saturday. But it only hit me now. It was the radio that did it. I was listening to FM radio via smartphone at work and suddenly it hit me hard. As in 'tears welling up' hard.

I've listened to music at work before. All the time. But Pandora is not FM radio with a DJ and things. Audiobooks do not have ads. Radio... does.

Dunno what my point is. But I felt it needed to be said.

• Like 11
  • Sad 1

49 minutes ago, sumbloke said:

I'm also anti adding things to beer.

It's a waste of perfectly good things.

I dunno. I've had some shandies that I've liked. For a commercially available one, I find Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy to be quite good.

I was going to use the 30% off coupon for Frog God Games' webstore that I got as part of the Humble RPG Bundle to buy a copy of their Bard's Gate and Borderland Provinces books, because why not, but I can't. Bard's Gate is out of stock for 5e. I don't really want the PDF, because I have a thing for physical books and no tablet to use as an ereader at a table, but I may settle for that. I'll have to think it over for a few days, maybe. Make it less of an impulse purchase. Especially since the coupon is good until late September...

• Like 4

14 hours ago, Cyradis said:

YOU ROCK!

So it is Thorsday!

To me it is Friday, tomorrow we I have the day of.

Going to Hospital with my girl for check ups, protocol we have to for another two years due to a melanome that she had removed.

All is fine so far, but I still go with her every time.

The afternoon will be free time, she has a social thing at work, which leaves me to adress the situation at home.

Situation: a bunch of tiny Ral Partha Velociraptors that need feathers sculpted on..

Either that or I will paint the Triceratops Carcass that's their victim..

Saturday having dinner in a Greek restaurant with friends.

Sunday visiting her parents for Father's Day.

Hmmm, Hey!

Somebody left a Red Button over here!

I wonder if this will attract any Barbarians.

One should be careful about such things...

@ub3r_n3rd might notice it and then we would all be in trouble!

• Like 9

@Cyradis good job! :winkthumbs:

16 hours ago, WhiteWulfe said:

I could go for another coffee...  So weird being the guy who brings coffee to others but only has like two mugs a day of the stuff..... :p

Edit: but yeah, I'm thinking prime about ten or so murderous rats...  Sounds like fun.  Oh, and a few gnolls, werewolves, and a dragon too. 

Might even do some actual painting ^_^

Hey, priming them is the part I find easiest too :lol: I can get soooo many primed soooo quick! Finishing? What's that? :rock:

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, redambrosia said:

@Cyradis good job! :winkthumbs:

Hey, priming them is the part I find easiest too :lol: I can get soooo many primed soooo quick! Finishing? What's that? :rock:

It's an enjoyable thing, and like you said, it's one of those lovely steps that feels like it takes no time at all! ^_^

2 hours ago, Chaoswolf said:

Primer counts as paint.

Yup, in Games Workshop tournaments its actually a step on the points part for rating how your opponents models are.  0 is blank, 1 was primed, and it went up to 5 based upon  a few rules (coherency of units, amount of effort put in, techniques used, if it looked nice and fit the type of unit and overall theme, if it had at least three colours etc). 

I still remember taking my primered army of doom to.... Doom in June over a decade ago.  Grant (the owner of the shop, and one of the leaders of Grots at the time) decided a prize had to be made for me, being the only one to show up with an army that was only primered because most of it had been assembled in the week before the tournament (with three squads I believe being assembled the night before). 

.... Not that I'd really contemplate tournaments for the game anymore, too much traveling, and too many Space Marine armies! ...that and I enjoy painting the models now, but haven't decided if I'll get back into the games themselves or not. 

• Like 6