Froggy the Great

Randomness XIV: THE FLOOR IS LAVA!

13 hours ago, Chaoswolf said:

Oh yeah, the Renn-fair I went to on Sunday:

Being a complete dolt, I failed to take any pictures.

I couldn't; I didn't have time you see.

While I was relaxing in the local tavern washing the road dust from my mouth, a stranger approached me and requested my aid in the completion of an epic quest. He had retrieved an item of great value from the lair of an evil sorcerer.  Unfortunately, he had been injured in the effort, and was unable to deliver it to it's proper owner, a fair maiden of noble standing. After agreeing to terms, I swore a mighty oath that I would be successful or meet my doom in the attempt. I immediately headed for the marketplace to get some supplies for my trek. While I was there, I noticed that there was a group of dangerous looking men who had an undue amount of interest in me. On the eve of my second day of travel, I was beset by these ruffians who demanded I relinquish the item I was carrying. Beseeching my god for aid, I roared a battle cry and began to fight for my life. It was a horrible battle, but in the end only I stood on the battlefield, surrounded by the bodies of my foes. I heard the sound of horses and men at arms. Although victorious, I had been injured, so I took to the woods in order to evade them. I don't know how long I was in the woods; the Fae took great delight in leading me on a merry chase. Finally, I was discovered by a group of friendly druids and their feathered companions, who took me in until I regained my strength. I was fortunate to stumble upon a group of minstrels on the road who welcomed me into their company for several days of travel. After parting ways, I traveled on alone for another week until I came across the camp of some Norsemen. They offered me the hospitality of their fire and we were up until late into the night telling tales. I discovered that they were traveling to the capital to arrange  trade, so I spent the rest of my journey with them. Upon reaching our destination, I was finally able to part ways with them only after promising to join them the next evening at one of the local drinking halls. Eventually, I was able to track down the noble lady, and discharge my quest.

(The not so heroic version: I ran into someone in costume who was playing with a rather large button. I started to talk to him, one thing led to another, and I ended up in possession of said button. The button represented a curse that had been placed on him, and now was on me. I had to go pawn it off to a certain lady to 'be free of the curse'. If I could manage this, he'd buy me a beer. {The location was a local farm that brewed their own beer} So, I wandered around checking out the shows and vendors until I actually managed to find my target and slipped the button into her belt pouch.:devil:   I found the quest giver, explained what I had done, we went and found the target, who was appropriately upset upon finding the button, laughs were had, and I got my beer.)

So, I had a good time.:lol:

That sounds like it was so much fun!! Which ren faire was it?

12 hours ago, Pingo said:

I painted faces today. Up until now these two were nearly identical (except for the pink flowers). I have my new really good close up glasses and a fresh, sharp brush, so I had some fun doing different expressions.

This one is May:

DSC_0521-face.jpg.add06f99082e24ee48f1c99d586a40ff.jpg   DSC_0522-face.jpg.d572c4b27d82fc4e0cb8b4b44c1c34dd.jpg

... And this is Julie:

DSC_0524-face.jpg.e42321efe403bcc32ad3b123cdad763a.jpg   DSC_0525-face.jpg.ec14231a45dc48d1d2c5910b34306e9d.jpg

Lovely!! :wub: I have so far to go...

7 hours ago, NebulousMissy said:

Today it hit me. It suddenly hit me. I live in Philadelphia. This is home now. I no longer live in Los Angeles.

But wait, I hear you say. Haven't you lived in Philly for a year now? Yes, yes I have. Exactly one year this Saturday. But it only hit me now. It was the radio that did it. I was listening to FM radio via smartphone at work and suddenly it hit me hard. As in 'tears welling up' hard.

I've listened to music at work before. All the time. But Pandora is not FM radio with a DJ and things. Audiobooks do not have ads. Radio... does.

Dunno what my point is. But I felt it needed to be said.

Yeah... Yeah... ::(: I miss Baltimore. NYC is amazing, vibrant, and now home... But. 

Had so much trouble sleeping after D&D last night. Way to revved up after the big boss fight. still can't believe we survive. One more round and we probably wouldn't have.

Coffee!!

• Like 5

Hello all,

So I should have come to you guys about this sooner but I our IT company told me about this program, Revo Uninstaller. I got apple stuff off my work computer but that darn Apple Updater WOULD NOT allow me to delete it. This program has wiped it out.

AnyWhoo, I've bought Xbox One Skyrim... So.... painting has not happened in a week. LOL. But I tell you what. I'm really enjoying that game. I played it back on xbox 360 and never finished it. Of all the video games i've played that was one I regret not getting to the end of the main story line. Although replaying it now is a much better experience. Graphics are better, load times are less that 5 seconds and it came with all 3 expansions. 

Next on my list was either The Witcher 3 or Fallout 4. Both of which I have not played. Any suggestions?

• Like 6

17 minutes ago, Arc 724 said:

Hello all,

So I should have come to you guys about this sooner but I our IT company told me about this program, Revo Uninstaller. I got apple stuff off my work computer but that darn Apple Updater WOULD NOT allow me to delete it. This program has wiped it out.

AnyWhoo, I've bought Xbox One Skyrim... So.... painting has not happened in a week. LOL. But I tell you what. I'm really enjoying that game. I played it back on xbox 360 and never finished it. Of all the video games i've played that was one I regret not getting to the end of the main story line. Although replaying it now is a much better experience. Graphics are better, load times are less that 5 seconds and it came with all 3 expansions. 

Next on my list was either The Witcher 3 or Fallout 4. Both of which I have not played. Any suggestions?

Ooooh, that's a tough call between the two, so I say Witcher because I think it's on sale on Steam, or will be in a few days.  If using console, I still say Witcher 3 because it's an epic game. 

Fallout 4 is fun, don't get me wrong, but I'm slightly more fantasy biased ^_^

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Hmmm, Hey!

Somebody left a Red Button over here!

I wonder if this will attract any Barbarians.

One should be careful about such things...

@ub3r_n3rd might notice it and then we would all be in trouble!

*** sneaks into the lair ***

*** lifts clawed paw into the air ***

*** deliberately points one claw down ***

big_red_button.jpg.313540651dddeb5a9437e2fc40b831aa.jpg

*** jumps back after stabbing the button ***

*** scampers away whistling softly ***

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

12 minutes ago, Grayfax said:

*** sneaks into the lair ***

*** lifts clawed paw into the air ***

*** deliberately points one claw down ***

big_red_button.jpg.313540651dddeb5a9437e2fc40b831aa.jpg

*** jumps back after stabbing the button ***

*** scampers away whistling softly ***

An unattended single red button.

That is the cleverest most evil device possible to test temptation.

Though in my case, I would first remove the screws, inspect the insides, take notes, reassemble the device, derive a conclusion... then repeatedly hit the button till all my hands and fingers ache to release all of that sweet pent-up dopamine. An existential scream may or may not accompany the final act.

Edited by Cranky Dog
  • Like 1
  • Haha 8

7 hours ago, Unruly said:

I dunno. I've had some shandies that I've liked. For a commercially available one, I find Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy to be quite good.

I was going to use the 30% off coupon for Frog God Games' webstore that I got as part of the Humble RPG Bundle to buy a copy of their Bard's Gate and Borderland Provinces books, because why not, but I can't. Bard's Gate is out of stock for 5e. I don't really want the PDF, because I have a thing for physical books and no tablet to use as an ereader at a table, but I may settle for that. I'll have to think it over for a few days, maybe. Make it less of an impulse purchase. Especially since the coupon is good until late September...

I am thinking about sinking the 30% off coupon into the hardcover for The Blight - even though I already have the PDF,

Sadly, I am in at the $1 on the Bundle - just for that 30% coupon, that I don't plan to use until Black Friday....

Took Megan to dinner, along with Brigid, and bumped into one of the candidates from the primary the day before. It was... kind of surreal - 'Hey! I heard you'd gotten married!' *Shakes Megan's hand* 'Hi! You must be Megan!'

I have not seen the guy since George W. Bush was president... and somebody told him I was married, and described Megan?

I don't know if it would have been more or less surreal we had bumped into him before the election.... (He was sheriff, back when I last saw him. Tuesday he was running for governor.)

The Auld Grump

• Like 6

This time next week, I embark on a trip to a fantasy writing convention in Minneapolis with my wife.  I plan to play hooky for some of it though and go sightseeing (and shopping - I like to visit gaming stores when I'm traveling to see what they have that I can't easily get at home).  Fallout Shelter Arcade is high on my list of things to do (I've never played in a BattleTech pod and I'm not sure I'll get the opportunity again).

This will also be my first time flying with mini painting supplies, assuming I have room.

• Like 7

17 hours ago, kristof65 said:

I'm over 50 and I have no idea...

From The Third Man - one of the greatest Espionage/Film Noir movies of all time.

The author took that scene from an actual incident in the field. :lol:

Need to corral Megan into seeing it - she enjoyed Casablanca and Maltese Falcon, so I have hopes. ::):

The Auld Grump

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, Cranky Dog said:

An unattended single red button.

That is the cleverest most evil device possible to test temptation.

Though in my case, I would first remove the screws, inspect the insides, take notes, reassemble the device, derive a conclusion... then repeatedly hit the button till all my hands and fingers ache to release all of that sweet pent-up dopamine. An existential scream may or may not accompany the final act.

Just remember the evil overlord's handbook.....  If I have a giant red button with a sign above it that says do not push, I will not have it blow up my lair, free the hero or anything like that.  Instead, it will activate a death trap, probably involving a large amount of lasers, chain guns, possibly some sort of lethal gas filling the room too, and then a drop out floor in order to kill whoever is stupid enough to push this button. 

.. Okay, I added a bit of my own fluff, but still. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

32 minutes ago, WhiteWulfe said:

Just remember the evil overlord's handbook.....  If I have a giant red button with a sign above it that says do not push, I will not have it blow up my lair, free the hero or anything like that.  Instead, it will activate a death trap, probably involving a large amount of lasers, chain guns, possibly some sort of lethal gas filling the room too, and then a drop out floor in order to kill whoever is stupid enough to push this button. 

.. Okay, I added a bit of my own fluff, but still. 

You have pushed the RED button to initiate the Self Destruct Sequence.

You now have fifteen seconds to locate and push the Green button to confirm Initiation.

You have pushed the Green button to confirm Initiation.

You now have fifteen seconds to locate and push the Yellow button to authorize Self Destruct Protocols.

You have pushed the Yellow button to authorize Self Destruct Protocols.

You now have fifteen seconds to....

A clever Evil Genius doesn't even have the system connected to any destructive devices - and sometimes the agent never notices when it loops back around to the RED button.....

The Auld Grump - or the final button activates Mr. Coffee, dispensing a relaxing beverage to the agent, to celebrate the villain's successful escape.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 9

1 minute ago, TheAuldGrump said:

You have pushed the RED button to initiate the Self Destruct Sequence.

You now have fifteen seconds to locate and push the Green button to confirm Initiation.

You have pushed the Green button to confirm Initiation.

You now have fifteen seconds to locate and push the Yellow button to authorize Self Destruct Protocols.

You have pushed the Yellow button to authorize Self Destruct Protocols.

You now have fifteen seconds to....

A clever Evil Genius doesn't even have the system connected to any destructive devices - and sometimes the agent never notices when it loops back around to the RED button.....

The Auld Grump - or the final button activates Mr. Coffee, dispensing a relaxing beverage to the agent, to celebrate the villain's successful escape.

so... your "self destruct" is Simon.

• Like 2
  • Haha 11

I don't know what's going on, but none of the embedded YouTube videos will play. They also won't link to their YouTube website. This is most annoying.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

so... your "self destruct" is Simon.

Oh man, that would be absolutely evil, especially if paired with the death trap...  To survive, you must surpass a sequence fifty steps long.  You're allowed one mistake. 

• Haha 6

11 minutes ago, WhiteWulfe said:

Oh man, that would be absolutely evil, especially if paired with the death trap...  To survive, you must surpass a sequence fifty steps long.  You're allowed one mistake. 

And even more so if the buttons are 20-30 ft apart, or more. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2