Froggy the Great

Randomness XIV: THE FLOOR IS LAVA!

17 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Blergh :zombie:

Like I mentioned before Brutus has developed a hot spot on his paw.

He didn't touch it since yesterday evening, didn't touch it the whole night.

So the wounds almost closed and it looked pretty good.

We took him for a long walk this day, he had fun, he was tired, all was cool.

Then after dinner I walked him, fed him, and then we left for graduation of our youngest, we were gone for two hours.

And,,,, he had licked it again and reopened the wounds.

I'm a bit desperate here.

He isn't nervous, he doesn't have anxiety, he started it two weeks ago when he had a virus infecting his stomach/colon.

So he wanted to throw up and started licking to get the hairs.

Now he is fine, but the hot spot stayed..

We are going on vacation this weekend, we already cancelled dog hotel so he will stay with the girls.

If this gets worse he will get antiobiotics.

But the Vet was talking about antidepressiva, I do not agree.

He isn't depressed.

I think when the wounds are healed, he will leave it, because he now licks it because of the itching etc.

But he doesn't give it a chance.

A cone doesn't help.He is able to get it off.

A sock or shoe, doesn't help, he gets that off and might even try to eat that.

So I need something that helps closing a wound and maybe taste so bad that he will leave it alone.

I can already see how this will be repeated tomorrow.

He is leaving it alone now.

Probably will leave it tonight.

I will be walking/playing with him  tomorrow, but tomorrow night we will go out to dinner with the whole family to celebrate youngest vixen graduation.

He might see his chance there to do it again.

He is actually very comfortable staying alone for a while, normally he just sleeps or plays a little.

But this itching will probably trigger it again.

I've heard of dogs who kept doing this their whole lives.

Since it only started two weeks ago when he felt sick, I so hope he will stop when the wounds close.

But the wounds need time to close..I haz a sad. :down:

4 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Sad, but if being there makes you feel bad, it is a wise choice.

And you have US!!!

That might be something!

I have to look for something like that.

I was considering a little drop of tea tree oil, but I dunno if that could be bad when he decides he does want to lick it anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QiPEp3LTpwo

Thx! I do have spray on bandages, thing is he might eat that off.

I need something that will repell him from licking/gnawing it.

Thanks, but same thing applies, he will gnaw and ingest it.

It's his front paw.

I know dog owners find it embarrassing but to stop an animal from irritating a wound, sometimes the CONE OF SHAME is the only option.  Be prepared for some really mournful looks from the dog though, there is apparently no greater pleasure for a dog than licking.  

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, Kangaroorex said:

I know dog owners find it embarrassing but to stop an animal from irritating a wound, sometimes the CONE OF SHAME is the only option.  Be prepared for some really mournful looks from the dog though, there is apparently no greater pleasure for a dog than licking.  

The cone of shame will not work on Brutus.

He had one when he was 4 months old beause he needed surgery ( umbilical hernia) it was properly applied, with a collar and all.

And every morning he had taken it off.

I slept next to him for a few nights to prevent him from killing himself by removing the stitches in his belly.

I have found a thing called dermavet. It is supposed to be sprayed on and it will taste bad.

So maybe that might help.

As of now, it's just minor wounds, but he keeps reopening them this way.

He can leave it alone for the whole day sometimes, and then in an unsupervised moment he licks it open.

Hopefully this stuff will work, I will have to order it.

The vixens will take care of him and when I get back I will start treatment with it.

Should things get worse during my abscence they will contact the vet, who knows about it, and then he will get antibiotics.

As of now it isn't needed, the worse is gone.

But the healing process of the last wounds get interrupted by the mighty tongue attacks..

Thanks for thinking of solutions!

I appreciate it.

Brutus is not an average small dog, he is a Boxer and that is translated into a bulldozer of joy and fun, but capable of immense destruction when needed/wanted or in this case when not wanted..

Edited by Glitterwolf
  • Like 10

The Headache of Doom is finally gone. As soon as I got to work the day before yesterday I started having a headache. It kept building in intensity all night, until my eyes were really sensitive and just walking made me motion sick (driving home was fun). 

Rested all day yesterday, and when I got up at about 2am this morning it was gone. 

I'm just glad I rarely get these headaches anymore. I used to get them a lot, starting around 11 years old. But now I get maybe one a year. 

@Glitterwolf I'm glad you found something for Brutus ::):

• Like 12

Just now, redambrosia said:

The Headache of Doom is finally gone. As soon as I got to work the day before yesterday I started having a headache. It kept building in intensity all night, until my eyes were really sensitive and just walking made me motion sick (driving home was fun). 

Rested all day yesterday, and when I got up at about 2am this morning it was gone. 

I'm just glad I rarely get these headaches anymore. I used to get them a lot, starting around 11 years old. But now I get maybe one a year. 

@Glitterwolf I'm glad you found something for Brutus ::):

Thx, now hoping it will work.

Some dogs will leave it alone because of the bad taste others still go for it.

Let's hope he will leave it alone.

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:

Thx, now hoping it will work.

Some dogs will leave it alone because of the bad taste others still go for it.

Let's hope he will leave it alone.

We are talking about an animal species that sometimes eats poo. So what's distasteful for some is a treat for others.

• Like 3
  • Haha 6

18 minutes ago, Cranky Dog said:

We are talking about an animal species that sometimes eats poo. So what's distasteful for some is a treat for others.

Indeed.

When a dog eats poo it means he lacks ammonia, give him what we Dutch call Eierkoek and it will stop.

image.png.9e0d966197820bd41ac169ba0d3cb7e5.png

• Like 6

Morning, all.  Hope everyone is doing well. 

My brain finally clued into the fact that Reapercon is almost here.  Gonna try to hop on the Hangouts this weekend and get used to seeing people again.

• Like 7

46 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:

The cone of shame will not work on Brutus.

He had one when he was 4 months old beause he needed surgery ( umbilical hernia) it was properly applied, with a collar and all.

And every morning he had taken it off.

I slept next to him for a few nights to prevent him from killing himself by removing the stitches in his belly.

I have found a thing called dermavet. It is supposed to be sprayed on and it will taste bad.

So maybe that might help.

As of now, it's just minor wounds, but he keeps reopening them this way.

He can leave it alone for the whole day sometimes, and then in an unsupervised moment he licks it open.

Hopefully this stuff will work, I will have to order it.

The vixens will take care of him and when I get back I will start treatment with it.

Should things get worse during my abscence they will contact the vet, who knows about it, and then he will get antibiotics.

As of now it isn't needed, the worse is gone.

But the healing process of the last wounds get interrupted by the mighty tongue attacks..

Thanks for thinking of solutions!

I appreciate it.

Brutus is not an average small dog, he is a Boxer and that is translated into a bulldozer of joy and fun, but capable of immense destruction when needed/wanted or in this case when not wanted..

They're also an awesomely photogenic species of dog too! 

One of my favourite YouTube channels always has a few pics of his dog in reviews.. (TheHybridShooter if I remember correctly).  Such a cute species of dog! 

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Cranky Dog said:

We are talking about an animal species that sometimes continually eats poo. So what's distasteful for some is a treat for others.

FTFY based on the latest empirical evidence.

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, WhiteWulfe said:

They're also an awesomely photogenic species of dog too! 

One of my favourite YouTube channels always has a few pics of his dog in reviews.. (TheHybridShooter if I remember correctly).  Such a cute species of dog! 

IMG-20180517-WA0002.thumb.jpg.e23240357ea4ce6d44cf43267d53087b.jpg

7 minutes ago, Froggy the Great said:

Beg to differ. It does mean there is a lack of ammonia in the diet.

Feed eierkoek and it will fade.

Really a dog should not eat poo eventhough a lot of them do.

Edited by Glitterwolf
  • Like 7

Base primed. The minis are half primed... since I can’t find my pin vise I will have to wait until the primer dries then prime the legs. 

• Like 9

We're going out to dinner in an hour to celebrate youngest graduation.

Hopefully Brutus will leave his paw alone, he didn't touch it today, but he did last night.

Anyway, food imminent!

• Like 9

Good grief I hate my brain sometimes. I've got 3 big social events all in a row this weekend, with the last one involving several people (including a few I don't really know) coming over to our apt for a baking party. This has translated into my mind being convinced I must deep squeaky clean ALL THE THINGS because everyone will be super judging me based on how our dwelling looks, which in turn has resulted in it turning into a bubbling mess of paralyzed, anxiety-riddled goo. <_< Which is extremely counter-productive when I need to be cleaning not hiding in bed. :P

Dang it why won't logic just work on my brain, this is so frustrating. :angry:

--OneBoot :P

• Confused 2
  • Sad 14

47 minutes ago, Froggy the Great said:

Did you take into account the tortoise that eats the dog poop? 

• Like 4
  • Confused 1