Froggy the Great

Randomness XIV: THE FLOOR IS LAVA!

16 hours ago, TGP said:

Where was it hiding? (I found something that had managed to hide today. That is such a good feeling.)

In a bag with my old cooking utensil holder, a bathroom rug, my ski goggles and other ridiculousness.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

Out of work and starting on my 3 day weekend.  Boardgaming and DnD tonight and then Fri-Sun is Connecticon with the family.  Looks like to be good times.

• Like 10

23 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Sad, but if being there makes you feel bad, it is a wise choice.

And you have US!!!

Yeah, still - I think when it has come that far, something went wrong in the first place.

Aaaand - noone of you is near me, so I am still playing and painting and so on with myself ... and talking to my own has become my dearest activity when on the hangouts.

On 7/12/2018 at 1:42 AM, SparrowMarie said:

Took inspiration from @SisterMaryNapalm's signature and pruned down my own by moving all my WIP links to my profile page. I also added all my show offs so far too.

My inspiring personality has once again caught the attention of someone! If I proceed that fast, I will control the minds of people in no time! Yay!

Edited by SisterMaryNapalm
  • Like 11

1 hour ago, Paradoxical Mouse said:

In a bag with my old cooking utensil holder, a bathroom rug, my ski goggles and other ridiculousness.

So, lacking a Bag of Holding, at some point you opted for what you thought and hoped would be a mundane bag, but it turned out to be a cursed item, a Bag of Hiding. 

:B):

• Like 1
  • Haha 14

2 hours ago, OneBoot said:

That's basically Reapercon for me, yep. XD Which is why I won't be bringing any unfinished entries this year. I really don't need that kind of stress in my life again lol. 

Huzzah! 

--OneBoot :D 

Some of my pieces are coming 'mostly' finished.  I want at least 1 silver this time, but I need advice and opinions to get it.  Problem with WIPs is its always the parts you cant see in the pictures that I get dinged on, or the lightings off or something.  I have at least 1 piece for each category and a few for the open category (I have one piece that I want judged, the only way to ensure this is to only submit 1 entry...)

My eyes are not getting any better and I may not be able to find a magnification / light level that will allow me to see the fine detail in the future so this year is sort of my moon shot.

• Like 6

Unexpected early weekend!

Because of the nearby forest fire, the presence of smoke was enough to shutdown underground operations. Between a forest fire and an underground mine fire, smoke is smoke, so as a safety procedure, everyone stayed on the surface. Then we lost the internet (so did most of the town).

So with no real work being done, and the sky still being hazy (though nothing unusual for downtown metropolitan cities, but better smelling), it was decided to completely shut down operations before it got worse and evacuate the site. So I was home 3-4 hours earlier than usual and could do errands normally impossible this time of day.

Wasn't long before I saw some co-workers heading to the lake beach front with some drinks. Had a hard lemonade myself.

They're calling for rain tomorrow, so the fire which was moving away from town anyway will probably be under control by then. And tomorrow is my day off anyway, so it's all good...ish.

Edited by Cranky Dog
  • Like 11

48 minutes ago, Kangaroorex said:

Some of my pieces are coming 'mostly' finished.  I want at least 1 silver this time, but I need advice and opinions to get it.  Problem with WIPs is its always the parts you cant see in the pictures that I get dinged on, or the lightings off or something.  I have at least 1 piece for each category and a few for the open category (I have one piece that I want judged, the only way to ensure this is to only submit 1 entry...)

My eyes are not getting any better and I may not be able to find a magnification / light level that will allow me to see the fine detail in the future so this year is sort of my moon shot.

Use your favorite critic to find the touch up areas...

Your friendly camera and computer.  Once you load the picks on the computer ALL of the mistakes jump out at you!

You can even grey scale it (with a photo editor like gimp -- freeware) which can show you the contrast levels...

Instant CRITIC!

• Like 7

On 7/8/2018 at 7:06 PM, Doug Sundseth said:

I have exactly as much of a problem with that as I do with Marvel's version of Thor.

Heh. You might want to try a Google search on "DHL Sucks".

It's not just you. In fact it's pretty much everybody.

The package did eventually arrive - on Monday, when neither Megan nor I was around to pick it up, so it was left unguarded for the entire day.

Miraculously, it was not stolen - which makes three packages in a row that have been left at our door and not stolen! :bday:

I think the [BEEEEP!] that had been stealing packages in my neighborhood may have finally gone away. (But our local postal service still sucks - badly enough that they got a failing grade from the postmaster in a surprise inspection.)

The Auld Grump

• Like 5

1 hour ago, TGP said:

So, lacking a Bag of Holding, at some point you opted for what you thought and hoped would be a mundane bag, but it turned out to be a cursed item, a Bag of Hiding. 

I believe that's called "The Safe Place™". As in, "I put it in a Safe Place".

It's as bad as "You Can't Miss It®".

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

Yesterday, I noticed that one of the fast food joints had story cubes as the prize for kids meals. Today I convinced myself that it was OK to get a kids meal (or two) for myself just for the toys. I get there and they have changed to new toys and are out of story cubes. :down:

This has been a very long day and now I am going to find somewhere cool and dark to hide for a while. Maybe I can convince myself to paint later. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 8

Best scene in Tuesday's game - raging barbarian with Bull's Strength cast on him - pushing the bookshelves over on top of a bunch of gnolls.

The librarians were not pleased. (A newly found area of their ancient, ancient library - and the barbarian starts knocking the walls down.... ::P: ) STR 24 when he brought the walls down.

The Auld Grump

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

On 7/11/2018 at 2:00 PM, Argentee said:

I keep reminding myself that people on the forums are nice and I have the option of using my phone or something else in my hands to excuse not making eye contact. 

You can also take comfort in the fact that the only actual really scary forumite will be several thousand miles away in New England.  ::D:

8 hours ago, OneBoot said:

Good grief I hate my brain sometimes. I've got 3 big social events all in a row this weekend, with the last one involving several people (including a few I don't really know) coming over to our apt for a baking party. This has translated into my mind being convinced I must deep squeaky clean ALL THE THINGS because everyone will be super judging me based on how our dwelling looks, which in turn has resulted in it turning into a bubbling mess of paralyzed, anxiety-riddled goo. <_< Which is extremely counter-productive when I need to be cleaning not hiding in bed. :P

Dang it why won't logic just work on my brain, this is so frustrating. :angry:

--OneBoot :P

Send the brain weasels to me - I've discovered they make great taco filling.

6 hours ago, OneBoot said:

That's basically Reapercon for me, yep. XD Which is why I won't be bringing any unfinished entries this year. I really don't need that kind of stress in my life again lol. 

Huzzah! 

--OneBoot :D 

The first thing I did when I arrived at the New York Rocky Horror Con - after a seven hour trip from RI to NYC due to flooding, and having to have a friend cover my first scene as Judge Wright in Shock Treatment as I tore off my street clothes and threw on my costume while running through the hotel - was to finish painting the Red Right Hand for my Hellboy costume. At the point where I was leaving my house to head up to RI to pick up people before heading to NYC, I'd already been up for 48 hours.

Which is what I use for the explanation of how I somehow managed, while building the hand out of basswood frames and aluminum sheeting, to drill a hole right through my thumbnail with a Dremel while holding the framework, put a nail through the hole, and bang it in before realizing I'd just nailed my hand to my work... Completely without injuring myself. :rolleyes:  That's a special kind of special right there, lol.

Then there was the time the Wichita Con couldn't find anybody to do the spacesuit scenes in Rocky Horror and I jokingly replied, in pretty much these exact words, "Y'know, Ah gots me one o' them thar shiny suits, so's if'n nobody else does it, I guess I could take a shot a it..."  One guess who got cast for those scenes...

My "spacesuit" was just a cheezy back-up thing I'd half-arsedly thrown together for the odd show when somebody forgot theirs, and I'd never actually performed Riff Raff before, or even particularly studied the part for that matter. A week before the Con, I was over a friend's house working on spiffing up the suit to some semblance of convention performance quality...

...When her dog viciously mauled the suit.

I had about five days to sew a new quilted metallic gold Riff Raff space suit, and wasn't able to take my sewing machine with me to Kansas, so I spent the entire first day of the convention sitting on the floor in the lobby of the theatre madly hand-stitching faux patent leather fins onto my suit.

I think people may have been taking bets on whether or not I'd finish on time.

I went on stage with safety pins holding the belt closed, but it was done. My virgin performance of Riff Raff took place in front of around 350 people at a national convention. The suit looked better than my performance.

Afterward, I was just going to toss it since I needed to make room in my luggage for stuff I'd picked up at the con, but some folks from a cast in Chicago or somewhere actually offered to buy the suit from me to use as their back-up suit, so I just gave it to them.

Edited by Mad Jack
  • Like 4
  • Haha 8

On 7/11/2018 at 7:42 PM, SparrowMarie said:

Took inspiration from @SisterMaryNapalm's signature and pruned down my own by moving all my WIP links to my profile page. I also added all my show offs so far too.

My, that's clever.  I'll have to consider that if I start another WIP before finishing what I'm doing.  (Although the main reasons I have my WIPs linked in my signature is so I can find them...  Maybe that's a sign I should paint and post more often.)

• Like 8

Okay, almost 9pm, and I've finished my adulting for the night. that means I've got a solid... 40 minutes I can paint!

WOO-HOO!!  :bday:

• Like 8

I may or may not be mildly drunk. This state may or my not be preventing me from cleaning a rifle that I just inherited which hasn't been cleaned in decades. I also may have spent 2 hours at the local comic shop after my grandmother's funeral just to get away from my family until most of the outward-facing sad was gone. Then I may have spent the next 3 hours drinking with my family after we regained an appearance of normality.

I'm now tired, but need to stay awake for at least another 3 hours or else I'll be useless at work tomorrow evening.

• Like 3
  • Sad 8