Froggy the Great

Randomness XIV: THE FLOOR IS LAVA!

I still sometimes worry about burning myself while draining noodles, although less from water and more from steam nowadays. 

Perhaps I should worry about the water since I'm now at sea level. Hrmm. Sir Cyr will need to remember to not put his hand in boiling water to grab noodles to test. 

I hope your kiddo heals fast @Froggy the Great

• Like 10

33 minutes ago, Cranky Dog said:

From Wikipedia:

Tsundoku (Japanese: 積ん読) is acquiring reading materials but letting them pile up in one's home without reading them.[1][2][3]

This is somehow relevant to so many items in my apartment. There must be a similar word for tons of unpainted minis ("Normal"?).

There is a pleasure being surrounded by the things you enjoy, even if you can't currently enjoy them.

I'm going to need to get some new notebooks for my game notes. I'm rapidly running out of pages!

• Like 6

50 minutes ago, Gadgetman! said:

If you want to do Autocross, get an old CItroën ZX. The special rear axle has built-in passive steering so it corners like nobody's business...   (snip) 

If not, it's possible to import them from Europe to Canada as long as they're 15+ years old....

If I'm importing anything it will be an AE92 Corolla / Trueno GT-Z with AE101 "Super" Corolla brakes, and then I'll very quickly be swapping it to a front intercooler, adding 14psi pulleys and doing the bypass mod ^_^  (mwa ha ha, stealth Corolla with an insane amount of acceleration, and in that configuration, you have the ability to still stop in a reasonable amount of time too). 

Sure, it's a front wheel drive car but they aren't too too difficult to modify to handle more like a rear wheel drive. 

.... Or I'll just get the Toyota 86 and a factory warranty.  Tough call *laughs nervously*  soooooo many of them on the used market, but probably because they really aren't daily drivers unless you really want that distilled "driver's car" kind of vehicle. 

• Like 3

While I was outside having a smoke my mom came back from the grocery store.  She said:  "Do you want some ciabatta bread?"

And there was a lot of noise from ground maintenance so I said:  "What?"

And she said:  "Ciabatta bread!  Do you like ciabatta bread?"

And so I said:  "I don't think I've ever tried chewbacca bread."

• Like 2
  • Haha 14

okay, lunch consumed. Ready for a nap now... :blues: I wonder if I can sneak off somewhere...

4.5 hours till I get to go home and spend the evening doing homework! :bday:

• Like 6

I have a consultation with an oral surgeon this afternoon, so I'm skipping lunch.  I may regret this.  (I always feel bad about people poking in my mouth after I've eaten but before I've brushed.  This is why I try to schedule my regular dentist visits as early in the morning as I can.  Maybe I should've brought a toothbrush to work.  Too late now.)

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

My sister's on the way to the hospital. It might be time for a kid to appear, it might not. No one's sure yet.

• Like 10

21 minutes ago, NebulousMissy said:

My sister's on the way to the hospital. It might be time for a kid to appear, it might not. No one's sure yet.

You make it sound like a magic trick. "*POOF* Ta-dah!"

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

7 hours ago, WhiteWulfe said:

.... Yes, I've wanted one for over twenty years due to a number of things, but the biggest one now is its performance and what it brings to the table (they're still demons in autocross.  Good demons..), but I haven't been able to fit into a stock one since I first sat in one... 

I loved my Miata for Autocrossing.  Especially when the course was laid out by a Corvette driver. 

Sadly, after owning it for 19 years, I had to let it go last year.  Wife says that after our current car is paid off, and our son moves out (in about 2 years), I can get a new one.

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Froggy the Great said:

Ok, so the kid was making spaghetti on his own (supervised) for the first time. So far so good, until he tried to drain the noodles without waiting for one of us to make sure he did it safely.

He lost his nerve and dropped the pot in the sink. I had an ice pack on his hands and had him in the car to urgent care within 20 seconds of the screaming starting.

He'll be ok, but ended up with second degree burns on his right hand and minor splatter burns on his left.  

So sorry for the kidlet.

Alternative method of draining/preparing noodles:

Put pot in sink and run warm but not hot water into pot.

When it gets to the point where you can put a finger in the water it's safe for small hands to use the strainer, even if they fumble.

To bring noodles back to full temp place each portion in a small quantity of hot water and stir with fork.

Remove noodles either with two forks or a pasta spoon, allow to drain, then plate and prepare for serving.

Note: This method is used in some Italian Restaurants where the pasta is prepared in large batches, placed in serving pans in balls of prepared noodles [about two pounds per ball] and then given the hot water treatment just before serving.

I learned this method in my yootth as the "pasta boy" for a 400 seat Spaghetti Joint.  On a really busy night we would prepare as much as 7 20# boxes of spaghetti noodles.  Hands would be prunes by end of night from wrapping all the spaghetti balls.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Crowley said:

Hua... That's interesting!!

Screenshot_20180809-144037.png

Glad to see that at least some of them are surviving, and will be relabelled. 

41 minutes ago, kristof65 said:

I loved my Miata for Autocrossing.  Especially when the course was laid out by a Corvette driver. 

Sadly, after owning it for 19 years, I had to let it go last year.  Wife says that after our current car is paid off, and our son moves out (in about 2 years), I can get a new one.

I've noticed everyone who has one has a blast.  Only time I've seen anyone happier with their car was a guy with a '93 Civic, bone stock, who took body roll as a challenge...  And beat most of the guys who were running in Street Prep and Street Mod o_O.  Guy sure knew how to drive, it was like a ballet performed by a car that had insane amounts of body roll, and he almost never touched the brakes... 

I might wind up joining "the enemy" when I get back into autocross, aka Subaru.... Mainly because I like the design of their cars, and how the word "sedan" doesn't mean doom to your fun...  Might also be Mitsubishi though, but Subaru I at least have a chance at the BR-Z which if the FR-S is anything to go by (I almost bought one until I triple checked my finances) I want one.  Sooo much.  So much fun to drive. 

• Like 4

All be damn, Ontario, the hellhole of Oregon, has a game store now.

Pro Soul Games

Apparently, the guy is from Boise & his wife got a job over here so he decided to open a store. Good for him. Sounds like he has board games, MtG & Warhammer at least.

My days of only having ReaperCon to play rpgs at a table may be over! I'll have to investigate later today!!

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1