Froggy the Great

Randomness XIV: THE FLOOR IS LAVA!

14 hours ago, Cranky Dog said:

From Wikipedia:

Tsundoku (Japanese: 積ん読) is acquiring reading materials but letting them pile up in one's home without reading them.

I can only say that( Tsundoku )like it is a good thing.  

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Flit said:

We are back home now. Mr Flit has DVT again. Dr prescribed cumiden even though he was told that Mr Flit hates taking it and it is a very difficult med to take. Another appointment with the doctor tomorrow. Hopefully he can prescribe different meds this time.

Sorry to hear that.  Hope they change it out quick.  Only thing worse than having to suffer bad side effects is having to suffer them when you know there is something better out there.  Best of luck and I hope he isn't in much pain.

4 hours ago, Unruly said:

1G, 2G, 3G or one of those horrid 4G's with the bubble butt? My cousin has had 3 or 4 different DSMs over the last decade and a half. First was a 2G Eagle Talon ESi, which he totalled. Then he bought a 2G Eclipse GSX, which he also totalled. Then he bought another 2G Eclipse GSX that he didn't total and put far more money into upgrades than he paid for the car. In the end, that thing was basically a 2-seater Lancer Evo VII with custom suspension, better intercooler, custom exhaust, etc. He built it to copy the GSX owned and raced by one of his friends who was a semi-pro drag racer.

Then he bought a 1G Eagle Talon TSi AWD to use as another project car, which went nowhere.

He no longer owns any of them, but that's because he got married and now he has to have a sensible car for ferrying his 2 step kids around in. But man, that suped up GSX could really fly if he wanted it to...

Honestly it was my dream car.  Mitsubishi G2 GTX in a dark metallic maroon semi-modified (performance cam, improved chip, wider rims some suspension work done on the rear, upgraded brakes and rotors.  Came across it at a police auction and picked it uP for a song.  Haven't had that much fun with a car since my souped up 73 impala (long story there). Had it for about 5 years until joint and muscle issues made it near impossible for me to get out of the car.  It did have a lot of get up and go though, was heat off the line and had a nice top speed although it still needed work as the acceleration between 80 and 120 was pretty sluggish and humdrum.  But since I wasn't doing any circuits or official racing the opportunity didn't come up much.

I am a tad better now than i was, I might go hunt another one down.

I have never been really happy with the G3 or 4:  G3 looks to standard (K car of the racing world?) And the G4 looks like someone took a decent car and overinflated it.

1 hour ago, Lord of the Dish Pit said:

I noticed the other day that the surviving pumpkins had begun to sprout and that there was the start of a mighty gourd forming.

(It turns out most of the smaller varieties I had planted were washed out by rain or dug up by the critters. I thought they were still there since some of the local species of weed look similar as seedlings so I didn't figure this out until it was too late.)

So I went out there this morning and found that the tiny pumpkins had been torn to shreds by either the rabbits or the squirrels. 

I am less than pleased. 

So if anyone happens to have a Bobcat that needs a forever home....

I find a paintgun effective and very soothing, especially if you find the color that the local raptors find attractive!  I find a light purple to be best in southern indiana.... painted squirrels and small rabbits have about a 15 min head start before the local red tails notice them.  Color success may vary, I'm told the eagles out west like yum yum yellow.

1 hour ago, WhiteWulfe said:

Hey, an otter!  You've been missed! ^_^

...Welcome back... welcome back, welcome back, welcome back...

Welcome back otter! ::D:

Edited by Kangaroorex
  • Like 9
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Chaoswolf said:

>looks around, waits, and then sneaks into Glitterwolf's office...

sniffs the desk...shrugs...definitely NOT bacon...sprinkles some salt and pepper on the desk...

opens the bottom drawer and activates a hidden switch...removes and eats the bacon in the secret drawer...

leaves a note: Thanks for guarding my bacon.

Leaves a slice of apple pie...sneaks back out<

Good Morning!

FRIDAY!

HEY Applepie!!

*** Reads note***

*** There was BACON?***

*** At least there is pie! Devours pie in one gulp***

*** The search for Bacon continues***

6 hours ago, Flit said:

We are back home now. Mr Flit has DVT again. Dr prescribed cumiden even though he was told that Mr Flit hates taking it and it is a very difficult med to take. Another appointment with the doctor tomorrow. Hopefully he can prescribe different meds this time.

Good luck!

I hope it will work out!

3 hours ago, canuckotter said:

Boo!

AAARRRGGHHHH!!!

***Faints***

• Haha 8

28 minutes ago, Kangaroorex said:

Honestly it was my dream car.  Mitsubishi G2 GTX in a dark metallic maroon semi-modified (performance cam, improved chip, wider rims some suspension work done on the rear, upgraded brakes and rotors.  Came across it at a police auction and picked it uP for a song.  Haven't had that much fun with a car since my souped up 73 impala (long story there). Had it for about 5 years until joint and muscle issues made it near impossible for me to get out of the car.  It did have a lot of get up and go though, was heat off the line and had a nice top speed although it still needed work as the acceleration between 80 and 120 was pretty sluggish and humdrum.  But since I wasn't doing any circuits or official racing the opportunity didn't come up much.

My cousin never raced his either, but he did about 3/4 of the stuff that his friend who raced did. Coilover suspension, performance exhaust kit, new intercooler, new chip, new injectors, turbo swap with the turbo from an Evo VII, head swap(I think to a 1G head?), all sorts of crap. I remember that before he got the new chip he had me solder a potentiometer to something so that he could manually adjust it to get it to quit knocking. I'm not a car guy, so I don't really know what all exactly he did, I just remember the big parts because he would brag to me all the tie about them.

I do know that he never actually had it professionally tuned. His friend actually offered him time on a dyno to really run the thing and then spend the day tuning it, but as far as I know he never took him up on it.

Me? I wanted to take my Jeep Cherokee, swap the underpowered 2.5L I4 for the 4.0L I6, replace all the floorboards with rhino lined diamond plate, rhino liner the frame and undercarriage, give it a 4-6 inch lift, throw a winch in front, build a roll cage inside, and take the thing through the back roads and mud trails. A totally different mindset there.

• Like 5

12 hours ago, TheAuldGrump said:

My wife wants us to get a car for me to drive - her ancient Camry is set up for her - 4'3" in her stockings.

I'm either 5'8" pr 5'9" depending on which leg I stand on. (I'm not tall by any means, but I tower over her.)

Driving in her car, set up for her height, is... not all that fun. ::P:

The Auld Grump - mostly, I ride the bus. (I still like the look of PT Cruisers, dangit!)

I've ridden in pt cruisers... they aren't great. Try a Kia Soul. Our Penelope is a fantastic car. And she's much roomier inside than she looks.

• Like 8

It's FRRIIIIDAAAAAAY!!

Just 9 more hours to go....

(Yes, 9. I've got some scheduled overtime; s'ok though I got asked if I could, not just voluntold))

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Kangaroorex said:

Sorry to hear that.  Hope they change it out quick.  Only thing worse than having to suffer bad side effects is having to suffer them when you know there is something better out there.  Best of luck and I hope he isn't in much pain.

I am a tad better now than i was, I might go hunt another one down.

I have never been really happy with the G3 or 4:  G3 looks to standard (K car of the racing world?) And the G4 looks like someone took a decent car and overinflated it.

I find a paintgun effective and very soothing, especially if you find the color that the local raptors find attractive!  I find a light purple to be best in southern indiana.... painted squirrels and small rabbits have about a 15 min head start before the local red tails notice them.  Color success may vary, I'm told the eagles out west like yum yum yellow.

...Welcome back... welcome back, welcome back, welcome back...

Welcome back otter! ::D:

I won't say it isn't tempting, but unfortunately the current crop of neighbors would have the local swat team on me in no time. (granted paintball guns are obviously not firearms, but busybodies with boredom issues and a phone close to hand are a recipe for trouble. Hence the bobcat. It can eat them next.) 

• Like 10

28 minutes ago, Mad Jack said:

Somebody call the Tooth Fairy...

Man finds 25-million-yr-old Giant Shark Teeth...

I wonder.

I know that when I was younger I read news reports about Great white Sharks in the Chinese Sea that measured 9 to 11 meters.

Were those reports fake or exaggerated ?

Or are there still bigger different species around then we know of?

I seem to remember hearing of such large sharks more often in the early 80's .

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:

I wonder.

I know that when I was younger I read news reports about Great white Sharks in the Chinese Sea that measured 9 to 11 meters.

Were those reports fake or exaggerated ?

Or are there still bigger different species around then we know of?

I seem to remember hearing of such large sharks more often in the early 80's .

The Wikipedia article on Great White Sharks addresses some of these size claims. They report that according to the available evidence, there might be a few Great Whites up to about 7m long, but that anything longer is probably a misreported shark of a different species or "Dude! It was totally 10m long! At least!!"

The extinct Megalodon (fossils can be found in several museums, including the Denver Museum of Science and Nature) was up to 18m long, though. Scary, indeed. The linked article has a photo of a megalodon tooth next to the teeth of a Great White.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I am not happy with the doctor that Mr Flit saw yesterday. Yesterday Mr Flit had a swollen leg and foot. I finally got him to go to the walk in clinic nearby and he got an ultrasound, a DVT diagnosis ( which we had diagnosed yesterday morning), and the doctor prescribed coumadin even though it is a slow acting, difficult to take drug and it is my presumption that heparin is the standard of care for blood clots. He has an appointment for 1:30 today.

The reason I am really not happy with the doctor is that now both of  Mr. Flit's legs and feet are swollen. What I expect to happen is that he will see the doctor again, the doctor will see the new swelling and send him for another ultrasound, then another meeting with the doctor and maybe then he will get the heparin he should have gotten yesterday. Hopefully he won't get sent to the emergency room or throw a clot before getting the heparin. (He's been there, done that) no sign of throwing a clot currently though.

• Sad 10

On 8/9/2018 at 9:33 AM, Cranky Dog said:

From Wikipedia:

Tsundoku (Japanese: 積ん読) is acquiring reading materials but letting them pile up in one's home without reading them.[1][2][3]

This is somehow relevant to so many items in my apartment. There must be a similar word for tons of unpainted minis ("Normal"?).

Does this also apply to PDF documents?

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, Flit said:

I am not happy with the doctor that Mr Flit saw yesterday. Yesterday Mr Flit had a swollen leg and foot. I finally got him to go to the walk in clinic nearby and he got an ultrasound, a DVT diagnosis ( which we had diagnosed yesterday morning), and the doctor prescribed coumadin even though it is a slow acting, difficult to take drug and it is my presumption that heparin is the standard of care for blood clots. He has an appointment for 1:30 today.

The reason I am really not happy with the doctor is that now both of  Mr. Flit's legs and feet are swollen. What I expect to happen is that he will see the doctor again, the doctor will see the new swelling and send him for another ultrasound, then another meeting with the doctor and maybe then he will get the heparin he should have gotten yesterday. Hopefully he won't get sent to the emergency room or throw a clot before getting the heparin. (He's been there, done that) no sign of throwing a clot currently though.

If you don't get the answer and treatment you know to be right, demand a second opinion. And possibly a different doctor for future visits.

Doctors are not infallible and shouldn't be treated as if they are.

• Like 7