Froggy the Great

Randomness XIV: THE FLOOR IS LAVA!

20 minutes ago, Guindyloo said:

Just for you, I'll turn off the camera whenever I feel like cutting toward myself with my x-acto. That way you can sit there in dread with no context for what may or may not be happening instead.

Exactly the way I like it.  The less I know, the more I know.  I think that's called the Freddy Kruegar effect or something. 

• Haha 12
  • Confused 1

This conversation has been very convenient - I'm currently (well, not right RIGHT now) removing the mold lines and sprue bits for the first time from a resin mini! I plan to post the process later tonight...but I was getting angry at it and stopped. How do you cut those little sprue-tube-things on the resin? My sprue trimmers I used for Mr. Mouse's Warhammer minis and my Kingdom Death minis are having a particularly rough go at it. 

• Like 9

@Paradoxical Mouse - this sounds like a "bigger hammer" problem

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diagonal_pliers

For cutting all the way through a sprue, hobby nippers are just too light - they're meant to snip away the delicate connecting points.  There is something to be said for cutting  well above the connecting point before severing it from the part - this initial cut removes any tension on the sprue and reduces the chance of the part shattering.  Sprues will develop tension when they shrink slightly during the curing process.  If the resin is so tough that you can't cut through the pin vents and sprue connectors, you need better (i.e. more expensive) tools made of higher grade steel, something to burn through it (with associated safety gear),  or an itty-bitty saw of the Dremel or jeweler's variety (cut underwater, resin dust is nasty).  I personally won't work with resin any more because of its flatbread tendencies.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Nathair said:

Can I watch you eat the unicorn cereal also I want to see what this stuff looks like 

I promise I won’t take screen shot and make it into a shirt for next Rcon

Ronnie Renton, from Mantic, had some Unicorn Fart air freshener at a con, not long ago....

The Auld Grump

• Haha 8

23 minutes ago, Paradoxical Mouse said:

This conversation has been very convenient - I'm currently (well, not right RIGHT now) removing the mold lines and sprue bits for the first time from a resin mini! I plan to post the process later tonight...but I was getting angry at it and stopped. How do you cut those little sprue-tube-things on the resin? My sprue trimmers I used for Mr. Mouse's Warhammer minis and my Kingdom Death minis are having a particularly rough go at it. 

I can state from personal experience that a sort of dull Xacto knife is NOT the way to do it. I still have the scar from where I buried my knife in the side of my finger trying to do that. :unsure: I've been very hesitant to do anything with thick resin sprues since, it was not a pleasant experience. 

Huzzah! 

--OneBoot :D 

• Like 4
  • Sad 5

Conversation from work -

Me: I know! A crossover of Star Trek and Reality TV! Cardassians and Kardashians!

Kaylee (resident nerd girl): So, Ugly Face Bumps vs. Lovely Lady Lumps?

Oookaaayyy.... <_<

The Auld Grump

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

17 minutes ago, kitchen_wolf said:

@Paradoxical Mouse - this sounds like a "bigger hammer" problem

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diagonal_pliers

For cutting all the way through a sprue, hobby nippers are just too light - they're meant to snip away the delicate connecting points.  There is something to be said for cutting  well above the connecting point before severing it from the part - this initial cut removes any tension on the sprue and reduces the chance of the part shattering.  Sprues will develop tension when they shrink slightly during the curing process.  If the resin is so tough that you can't cut through the pin vents and sprue connectors, you need better (i.e. more expensive) tools made of higher grade steel, something to burn through it (with associated safety gear),  or an itty-bitty saw of the Dremel or jeweler's variety (cut underwater, resin dust is nasty).  I personally won't work with resin any more because of its flatbread tendencies.

13 minutes ago, OneBoot said:

I can state from personal experience that a sort of dull Xacto knife is NOT the way to do it. I still have the scar from where I buried my knife in the side of my finger trying to do that. :unsure: I've been very hesitant to do anything with thick resin sprues since, it was not a pleasant experience. 

Huzzah! 

Now y'all are scaring me...

• Like 7

Miniature Scenery has a new project running... and I have fallen into a really bad case of Model Want....

41685409_911219269077492_211488000150025

And the model even has a ship's stove - suitable for brewing horrible coffee and molasses nastiness....

41729574_911671829032236_579065520260435

For some reason, ship's stoves were called Charlie Noble - which does not even work as rhyming slang.....

The Auld Grump

• Like 13

24 minutes ago, Paradoxical Mouse said:

We're scaring you to avoid scarring you!  You can never have an overabundance of hobby caution if you don't want to be one of the people at conventions who tell grisly stories and show off scars.  I have a few in interesting places, which is how I learned to check the chair carefully before sitting down because round x-acto handles can roll.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 7
  • Sad 3

40 minutes ago, Paradoxical Mouse said:

If you're really concerned, you can get a pack of cut resistant gloves from amazon for about $10. They're made for kitchen use and are pretty sturdy. 

... Actually, I think I'm going to order some myself, right now. Man, I wish I would have thought of these ages ago! :lol:

Huzzah! 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Hmm...I got the majority off with the sprue cutter before...just got the bits super close to the mini left (really tempted to use basing to try to hide...)

I'll be posting a wip when I get home.

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, Paradoxical Mouse said:

Hmm...I got the majority off with the sprue cutter before...just got the bits super close to the mini left (really tempted to use basing to try to hide...)

I'll be posting a wip when I get home.

You can use an x-acto blade, preferably a fresh one that's nice and sharp.  Place it firmly but gently where you want to make your cut and instead of trying to slice through, lever the blade back and forth a bit with some very light gentle pressure.  This may take a bit of time but it's a safe method and will avoid snapping off any frail resin bits.  If frail bits aren't as much of a concern (so it's a nub left on a more solid piece) then you can use more pressure.  But remember to let the blade do the work and slowly eat your way through.  This will prevent it from suddenly springing forth on the opposite end and jabbing into anything.

I used this technique to cut off Diva the Blessed's metal base so it will work for resin and probably not take as many hours to do as cutting through the metal took me. 

• Like 6

For some (most?) resins, a hot knife works a treat. The one I tried was designed for cutting insulation foam.

Getting ready to delve into the depths of the Xend'rik jungles.... ::):

The Auld Grump

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Doug Sundseth said:

At RC, @TaleSpinner recommended using scalpel blades rather than X-Acto blades, though he was specifically recommending them to address some of the ... features ... of greenstuff. I already had some, so I've started using them, and they're remarkably good at cleaning up plastics; much sharper than the hobby blades. Note that they're not really the right size for hobby-knife handles, but you can crank down and get the handles to work.

The #11 blades are very nice for most hobby tasks I've tried so far.

I was gonna make a safety comment here, but it's been covered pretty well already.

Aw, what the heck: Scalpel blades are incredibly sharp, be very careful when using one.

7 hours ago, Erifnogard said:

I sacrifice enough blood to the Blood God using x-acto blades. No way I’m going to something sharper.  :ph34r:

But...you'd get even more spectacular results!:wow:

5 hours ago, Guindyloo said:

I know you can't see it right now, but I am shaking my head at you and making a face like this. <_<

I can actually kinda see this. ::D:

4 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Stay Safe people!

What he said!

3 hours ago, Guindyloo said:

We want to have educated sacrifices to the hobby gods. ::P:

Unless you're sacrificing someone else...:devil:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3