Froggy the Great

Randomness XIV: THE FLOOR IS LAVA!

1 hour ago, OneBoot said:

If you're really concerned, you can get a pack of cut resistant gloves from amazon for about $10. They're made for kitchen use and are pretty sturdy. 

I was going to suggest that, but you beat me to it!  I should probably get a pair as well.  I'm also a huge fan of using proper cutting mats, that way you can aim the blade at the table for really tough bits.  

• Like 5

Hobby lobby seems to hate Halloween <_< they have half an aisle of actual Halloween stuff, compared to their 5 aisles of autumn stuff and half the dang store of Christmas stuff! They don't even have any skeletons!!! I had to buy my black roses on Amazon!!

Why do do you hate the spooky!? :angry:

• Confused 1
  • Sad 6

4 minutes ago, redambrosia said:

Hobby lobby seems to hate Halloween <_< they have half an aisle of actual Halloween stuff, compared to their 5 aisles of autumn stuff and half the dang store of Christmas stuff! They don't even have any skeletons!!! I had to buy my black roses on Amazon!!

*censored because wasps-nest* I don't shop at Hobby Lobby, and I don't recommend anyone else shop there either. >.<

If you have one in your area, try Jo-Ann fabrics. They had like .. three, four isles worth of Halloween stuff at the one local to me, and that was before I hit the fabric section looking for canvas.

(Which I did eventually find).

Michael's might also have the goodies. Spirit Halloween is up and running already (I'm amused, this year the local one is stashed in an ex-Toys-R-Us location), and they have a lot of house-props.

I haven't seen Goodwill's 'boo-tique' up yet, but probably soon.. they might have something.

Which reminds me, I need to check them, going into October; I wish costume shopping for props and other bits wasn't such a seasonal exercise!

• Like 9

7 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Yeah, they are scary.  I've stuck them into my finger twice now such that the tip got stuck in the bone.  It hurt.  I bleed for my art.

I've been carrying around about an eighth of an inch of hobby knife tip in my right ring finger since I was about sixteen or seventeen. Went right in the end of the finger nearly parallel to the bone, got stuck, and came out shorter than it went in, lol. Used to have a pencil-eraser-sized spot on the end of the finger with no feeling, but now it's down to about about 4mm...

7 hours ago, buglips*the*goblin said:

I started out with 13 fingers and still have most of them left.  You worry too much, I got plenty to spare.  I bet I could lose another 5 and still be able to open cans.

Yes, but how many of them are on your hands? Or at least in useful clumps that are capable of gripping things?

4 hours ago, Bruunwald said:

I don't consider a project to be legit until I have bled on it. My proudest accomplishments all have my blood under the paint, somewhere.

Some of mine have blood in the paint. Usually that's intentional, though.

Edited by Mad Jack
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, LittleBluberry said:

I was going to suggest that, but you beat me to it!  I should probably get a pair as well.  I'm also a huge fan of using proper cutting mats, that way you can aim the blade at the table for really tough bits.  

Perhaps there are other sorts around, but the cut-resistant gloves I have are not particularly conducive to fine manipulation. They're also pretty warm to wear.

Like most things, they're a trade-off, in this case of dexterity for safety. Don't expect something miraculous.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

If you're feeling crafty and have some spare time, you can get a jar of tool handle dip and paint it onto a pair of thin ladies' gloves in strategic spots. Or maybe the cheap white cotton gloves they sell in bulk.

Edited by Mad Jack
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Sylverthorne said:

*censored because wasps-nest* I don't shop at Hobby Lobby, and I don't recommend anyone else shop there either. >.<

Yup... 

Just watched a thoroughly depressing Pom Poko. Gonna hug my dogs then take them for a walk.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, redambrosia said:

Thank you ^_^ so far I haven't made an offering to the porcelain throne, but I do have a very annoying combo of acid reflux + nausea + hunger. I can keep it mostly at bay by eating snacks or small meals... so far so good.

Organizing and stuff can be very relaxing.

Hehe, awesome. A nerdy extended family ^_^ 

Tonks is adorable! How dare they say she's not! :wub:

Please tell my hubby that! When I thought this was just bad pms, I got a bunch of chocolate and now he's threatening to eat it, because I shouldn't have sugar ::o:

Thank you everyone for the congratulations and well wishes ^_^ :wub:

Nonsense!

Chocolate is not food.

Chocolate it therapeutic medicine.

GEM

Thus sayeth the tentacled one

• Like 5
  • Haha 4

3 hours ago, OneBoot said:

If you're really concerned, you can get a pack of cut resistant gloves from amazon for about $10. They're made for kitchen use and are pretty sturdy. 

... Actually, I think I'm going to order some myself, right now. Man, I wish I would have thought of these ages ago! :lol:

Huzzah! 

--OneBoot :D 

Cut resistant gloves are just that. They help versus slicing motions. They are much less good at protection from stabbies especially with the size of knives we hobby with. 

I bought some scalpels as well and I love them! The ones I got are attached to disposable handles which I like a lot. They came from American Science and Surplus. A very dangerous website that has things you absolutely need that you didn't know existed before. I am very familiar with sharper is better in terms of cutting things. When I am butchering something at work, sharper means less pressure means more control means no knives where they shouldn't be. Like in my skin. It is also faster and less work to not have to saw to get things cut.

The same is true for hobbying. And no, I have never cooked with scalpels, though I have been known to do some gummy bear surgery to make frankenbears. 

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

Nonsense!

Chocolate is not food.

Chocolate it therapeutic medicine.

GEM

Thus sayeth the tentacled one

As long as you like dark chocolate, the sugar argument shouldn't be a big deal anyway.  If you're eating chocolate covered marshmallows then it becomes a different story.  

• Like 8

10 hours ago, Erifnogard said:

I sacrifice enough blood to the Blood God using x-acto blades. No way I’m going to something sharper.  :ph34r:

Sharper actually means fewer "oopsies".

Of course when you do make an oopsie it could mean that the cut, while less painful, is somewhat larger.

GEM

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Paradoxical Mouse said:

Now y'all are scaring me...

Don't be scared, but do take heed from the "war stories".

Certain hobby tools require that you take care in their use or they will do things that you don't want them to, from damaging the piece you are working on to damaging You.  If you posses normal motor skills and exercise a reasonable degree of caution there is no reason that you should not be trusted with Very Sharp Objects.  However, if you are a congenital klutz or the sort of person who gets in a hurry and tries to "push on regardless", - - - Take Heed.

There are tools that will work in place of a knife for removing seams/mold lines/etc.  These include needle files, the extremely fine tools used by jewelers and mold makers, and such things as sanding sticks, which includes everything from the emery boards available in packs from the drug store all the way through specific graduated grit sticks sold by the finer hobby emporiums. 

For the truly radical fanatics, you can buy various grits of finishing compounds from either machinists supply houses or those that sell to lapidary's in everything from coarse grits to fine enough to produce a mirror finish, which can be affixed to whatever shape of doweling is needed for the project at hand.

GEM

2 hours ago, redambrosia said:

Because we have Michael's, WalMart, and places like Home Depot for all that shtick.

Meanwhile, Hobby Lobby is skimming off the cream from the early Fall/Christmas decoration/project shoppers.

GEM

• Like 4

1 hour ago, LittleBluberry said:

If you're eating chocolate covered marshmallows then it becomes a different story.  

Only if the marshmallows are stuffed with pickles.::P:

GEM

• Haha 2
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1