Froggy the Great

Randomness XIV: THE FLOOR IS LAVA!

Found a mini last night that I didn't even know I had in a ziplock baggie in the bottom of a lockbox that I've had since college. 

He's too small for my current 28mm fellows and seems to be missing the shaft of his lance, but beyond that is somewhat cool..  and I have absolutely no clue where I would have acquired him..

1184028578_2018-10-0521_27_41.thumb.jpg.a6fc09c28210b6f23d5ec65a736d6c51.jpg

443070876_2018-10-0521_34_46.thumb.jpg.ca2ef859a8c3b5fa5a881b6857ab4f42.jpg

It has 'Superior Models ©85 on the bottom, which confuses me as the Lost Mini wiki says that Superior Models went out of business in '84.1576913273_2018-10-0521_27_28.thumb.jpg.eea66700028c4e262b1a3a0092dddba4.jpg

• Like 13

7 hours ago, alchemist said:

Terry's Chocolate Orange?  As far as I know they are still readily available in the UK, at least in the run-up to Christmas.  Maybe you should get in on one of those sweet/candy exchanges that have been going on.

That's them! I haven't had one in forever, but I remember eating a ton of then in the late 90's-early 00's. 

5 hours ago, Doug Sundseth said:

I once took a Chem final in which my calculator died (I think I might have mentioned this here before). Now in Chem, unlike in Physics, you need to actually care about the numbers, not just the equations. ("What do you think I am?! An Engineer?!!") Fortunately, I had brought a slide rule* with me and knew how to use it. (Stand back!) I managed to finish the test in time (got an A), but I got a few looks from the other people in the class, too.

* This was in the mid-80s, btw, long after slide rules were common. It was a fashion statement. Because Physicist. ::D:

I always wanted to learn how to use a slide rule in high school, specifically for those algebra tests where calculators weren't allowed. That way I could be a smart broccoli and make the argument that the teacher never once said that slide rules weren't allowed.

Aaaaaand I'm staying away from most of the SCA for another year. My friend just won Aethelmearc's crown tournament again today, and after everything from when he won last year I'm absolutely sure I'm not cut out for the court BS. And I'll be roped into it if I'm active, guaranteed. I can't do it. I want to hit people, drink, and tell stories about hitting people when I'm drunk. I don't want to be an errand boy, or have to stand there silently and hold someone else's cup for them as a living end table while other people talk about how inauthentic or poorly made my garb is. That's not my SCA. I have no fun doing that and all it does is cause me stress and frustration, which takes away all the fun I have from the actual hitting people part.

So yea, a minimum of 9 more months where I might go to 2 events, and probably only small ones...

• Sad 12

4 hours ago, LittleBluberry said:

Definitely a Christmas thing.  I saw them at Cost Plus World Market last year, but you had to act quick if you wanted the Terry's brand and not the knock offs.  They seem to be easier to find in Canada.  

Haven't had one of these since I was a kid. I'd kill for one about now.

• Like 6

7 hours ago, Erifnogard said:

These days with smart phones this is even more true. 

We live in extraordinary times. Ponder the extinction of the pocket watch...

5 hours ago, Zink said:

I'm a bit worried** about waking the wife. I kind of like having all my arms and she's not a morning person at the best of times.

Robert Heinlein commented sagely on this: It was something to do with waking people and Capital Punishment. 

**as well you should be :ph34r:

• Haha 9

21 minutes ago, TGP said:

I love pocket watches.  But the cell phone doubles as a chainless watch, and it would be absurdly bulky to carry a watch, car keys, and phone.

It's more than just steampunk frippery, dangit.

• Like 7

34 minutes ago, TGP said:

Robert Heinlein commented sagely on this: It was something to do with waking people and Capital Punishment. 

The pocket watch is alive and well and living in the Watch Pocket of my pants.

My wife gave me a Mickey Mouse Pocket Watch for Christmas the year before I was involved in my debilitating accident.

Other than changing the batteries about once a year it has kept flawless time as well as being a source of amusement when people see me fish it out on it's thin gold chain.

GEM

• Like 5
  • Haha 5

Best part of finishing work this Saturday: Knowing I have the next two days off! ^_^

Any other Canadian forumites looking forward to their October-flavoured Thanksgiving? Any exciting plans/foods?

• Like 7

On 10/4/2018 at 8:15 PM, TheAuldGrump said:

That adventure that I was writing for Sam? The one she was going to get for Christmas?

Her dad has already started running it for her. <_<

It's not even finished yet.

As in 'partial first draft'....

Also - Christmas! :blink: It's not even Hallowe'en!

But, and this is kinda important, Sam is having a blast.

The Auld Grump - and here I would have thought that Jamie would have been the one with impulse control issues....

I got an e-mail from Sam, thanking me for the adventure, since it got her daddy back into the game, and she is really enjoying it.

I hate it when I have a good grump going, and have nowhere to put it.... <_<

Andrew really likes the format that I stole - and thinks that more adventures should use it.

I really should let Frog God know - their efforts have been greatly appreciated.

The Auld Grump

• Like 10

Dragged my sick self to the Japanese cultural thing at Bellevue College with 2 out of 3 daughters in tow.  They both had fun, but boy am I exhausted.  On the plus side, I did manage to make a couple of decent autumn-themed hair clips yesterday, so that felt like an accomplishment.  

• Like 7

1 hour ago, TGP said:

The Cog is Dead -

https://youtu.be/tq7XG4XOJsc

The Auld Grump

• Like 4

1 hour ago, TGP said:

Ponder the extinction of the pocket watch...

As I carry my phone in my pocket and it is the only timepiece I use, I would argue that the pocket watch is doing just fine. :B):

I also have these, though both need batteries at the moment.

IMG_1393.jpeg

Edited by Erifnogard
  • Like 8

2 hours ago, Unruly said:

That's them! I haven't had one in forever, but I remember eating a ton of then in the late 90's-early 00's. 

I always wanted to learn how to use a slide rule in high school, specifically for those algebra tests where calculators weren't allowed. That way I could be a smart broccoli and make the argument that the teacher never once said that slide rules weren't allowed.

Aaaaaand I'm staying away from most of the SCA for another year. My friend just won Aethelmearc's crown tournament again today, and after everything from when he won last year I'm absolutely sure I'm not cut out for the court BS. And I'll be roped into it if I'm active, guaranteed. I can't do it. I want to hit people, drink, and tell stories about hitting people when I'm drunk. I don't want to be an errand boy, or have to stand there silently and hold someone else's cup for them as a living end table while other people talk about how inauthentic or poorly made my garb is. That's not my SCA. I have no fun doing that and all it does is cause me stress and frustration, which takes away all the fun I have from the actual hitting people part.

So yea, a minimum of 9 more months where I might go to 2 events, and probably only small ones...

I don't know if it still is but in the court that was in New England (I was there as support for my future wife -- fencing and telling stories about fencing... and occasionally cooking) if you get roped into court and continue to heavy list get drunk and tell stories, they either join you or throw you out.  Win-win either way.  That's how it went for me...

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Jack caught a cold yesterday. Today he is a raging snot factory. Jack is not okay with this. :devil:

• Sad 8

So far my stomach has been unable to convince the rest of me to get out of bed. It doesn't help that I have a headache that throbs when I get up.

• Sad 10

12 minutes ago, Mad Jack said:

Jack caught a cold yesterday. Today he is a raging snot factory. Jack is not okay with this. :devil:

Thin snot or thick snot? You could use the thin snot as paint thinner and use it to paint a gelatinous cube. It would be fitting, right? 

• Haha 8