Froggy the Great

Randomness XIV: THE FLOOR IS LAVA!

14 minutes ago, Mad Jack said:

Jack caught a cold yesterday. Today he is a raging snot factory. Jack is not okay with this. :devil:

So much this.  I feel at risk of drowning in my own goo.  Plague bearing children.  <_<

• Sad 6

2 hours ago, TGP said:

We live in extraordinary times. Ponder the extinction of the pocket watch...

Ya know, someone could just take one of those digital watches and put a chain on it, there you have a newfangled pocket watch for newfangled people.

• Haha 10
  • Confused 1

Megan cancelled both games for this weekend - having decided that I really need to get over this cold more than a game, and that I really should not give the cold to Jon, Julie, and their Trouble.

The Auld Grump - weirdly, I seem to be spending most of the day sleeping....

• Like 9

2 hours ago, EldritchEladrin said:

Best part of finishing work this Saturday: Knowing I have the next two days off! ^_^

Any other Canadian forumites looking forward to their October-flavoured Thanksgiving? Any exciting plans/foods?

My mom is driving my truck up here tomorrow, and will be here for the holiday. I had not yet heard it described as October-flavored. My spell-check also red-lines "flavoured" in the quotes. I guess Google Chrome didn't change on me when I crossed the border ::P:

Anyway, uhh... I guess I feed my mom? 

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, redambrosia said:

Ya know, someone could just take one of those digital watches and put a chain on it, there you have a newfangled pocket watch for newfangled people.

I'm pretty sure that with epoxy you could stick a chain onto your cell phone.

Just sayin'.

:B):

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 8

48 minutes ago, Cyradis said:

My mom is driving my truck up here tomorrow, and will be here for the holiday. I had not yet heard it described as October-flavored. My spell-check also red-lines "flavoured" in the quotes. I guess Google Chrome didn't change on me when I crossed the border ::P:

Anyway, uhh... I guess I feed my mom? 

Sounds lovely! Hope you have a wonderful time!

Re, spellcheck: Oh, don't worry! I had to teach Google how to spell words the right way. ::P:

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

3 hours ago, EldritchEladrin said:

Best part of finishing work this Saturday: Knowing I have the next two days off! ^_^

Any other Canadian forumites looking forward to their October-flavoured Thanksgiving? Any exciting plans/foods?

I'm being roped into picking up a turkey because reasons.  I argue it's against my will, despite kind of liking the idea....

We shall see, don't know if I want to do the 9pm or so run to Safeway, that sounds perilous...  But it would mean I could pick up more perogies I can actually eat, so.....  Tough call.

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

59 minutes ago, Doug Sundseth said:

I'm pretty sure that with epoxy you could stick a chain onto your cell phone.

Just sayin'.

:B):

With a flip-phone it would even require nearly the same set of motions to access the time.

GEM

I'll stick with my Disneyland RR Pocket Watch, thank you very much.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

I wear the same model watch my grandfather wore in the 80s.  It's at least the fourth in a line of exactly the same ones that I wear til they die.

• Like 11

Been listening to the soundtrack from A Star is Born on repeat.  I really want Bradley Cooper to put out more music.  I mean yeah he's a good actor, but dang he can make some good music too.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Kangaroorex said:

I don't know if it still is but in the court that was in New England (I was there as support for my future wife -- fencing and telling stories about fencing... and occasionally cooking) if you get roped into court and continue to heavy list get drunk and tell stories, they either join you or throw you out.  Win-win either way.  That's how it went for me...

The problem, in my mind, is the span of our kingdom. It goes from the western half of New York to the very bottom of WV. When my friend won the first time around, there were a lot of people from the northern region that actually said "those WV people don't deserve to win crown." Because being from WV we're obviously inbred hicks or whatever. So we had to figuratively break our backs just so they would look at us as equals rather than being inferior. I'm not kidding when I say that during my friends' reign they went to more events as king and queen than I've ever heard of other royals going to. They were going to at least one event every weekend. Sometimes they would each go to a separate event just so that they could hit as many as possible. We went to Gulf Wars this year and more than doubled the number of people from our kingdom that normally go. And people still think we're crap.

And it doesn't just apply to being royalty, it also applies to recognition in general. Especially with the order of the chivalry. Compared to every other part of the kingdom, WV has fewer native knights than anyone else. Only after my friend won crown did that start to change, when his predecessor knighted 2 people from WV and literally doubled the number of native WV knights in a single day. And it's because, despite the fact that more than a few of our fighters can tear through some northern knights every time, those knights won't vote for them because those knights won't come to events this far south except for Pennsic, and the one or two times that our fighters can make it up north to beat them into the ground "isn't enough proof." So because the guys up north stay up north, they don't pay any attention to the guys down south.

There's just a lot of elitism from some people up north. And some of those people are very influencial. And there's a lot more of the population up that way, too. It's so bad that there has honestly been some talk of splitting the kingdom from around Pittsburgh on down. Because we just don't get enough consideration from up north. I doubt it will happen any time soon, but it's been talked about a fair bit over the last few years.

But the elitism has kind of diminished since my friend won crown the first time. Now that he's done it twice, it may get even better. After all, there's the SCA saying of "Once a fluke, twice a Duke, three times a fool with a crown." Now that he's done it twice, they can't say it was a fluke anymore. Especially since he's come in in the top 4 every time he's entered the crown tourney for the last 4 or 5 years.

• Like 8
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

@Unruly at first glance I thought you were breaking the mold and talking about politics outside of the beekeeper forums. Then you started mentioning crowns and chivalry and knights, then I finally got to the bottom and realized this was about SCA. 

This was a pleasing and amusing post to read. Go get'um WV people! I know little about WV except that I went to Harper's Ferry for a hike. It was pretty. I caught so darn many Squirtles in PoGo that day. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

Well, I mean, it's politics of a sort, just not Real World Politics. It's Make Believe Politics. And sometimes, they're even worse than real politics. At least with real politics there's usually a lot of distance between you and the people making the decisions. With this, it's a much smaller group of people and so the decisions are much more immediately felt, but also much less important.

Edited by Unruly
  • Like 9

1 hour ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

With a flip-phone it would even require nearly the same set of motions to access the time.

GEM

I'll stick with my Disneyland RR Pocket Watch, thank you very much.

Aww, man.

That reminds me of the pocket watch I missed picking up.  We were at WDW for our wedding, and they had a Jack Skellington pocket watch.  I nearly purchased it, but the price was a little more than I wanted to lay out for a piece I wouldn't ever wear.  It was the right call, but that doesn't make me any happier.

• Like 7

I used to have a pocket watch...  Up until I became a fan of working on cars.  Didn't take me long to decide that if I really wanted to keep that watch in decent shape, it couldn't be on me when I was working on vehicles...  And I didn't like wristwatches anymore, so just... Stopped having a watch on me.  It had a nice fake antique brass kind of look to it too, but was modern enough that it was fairly durable and could handle a lot of bumps and scrapes.  Still kind of miss that pocketwatch.

Nowadays, I'd sooner get the new Samsung Gear Watch - err, Galaxy Watch...  And maybe get a nice black leather wristband for it.

I swear it isn't so Google Fit will stop complaining to me that I don't move around enough.  Not my fault personal phone isn't on me when I'm working - I'd rather not have bulging pockets from a wallet, two sets of keys, and two phones, so something has to stay behind.  I also swear it isn't so I can actually see the time without my phone.  Or that I want to use Google Wallet a lot more often.  But yes, most definitely not related at all to Google Fit complaining every now and then, even though I regularly get a good amount of steps - they just aren't counted because phone isn't in pocket.

• Like 8