Froggy the Great

Randomness XIV: THE FLOOR IS LAVA!

Something or someone has been attempting to corrupt the fat little birds. 

When I left the suet out for them I thought I heard one of them chirp something that sounded suspiciously like 

"pumpkin spice".

I then spent the next 15 minutes or so explaining to them about how that was heresy against the Great Pumpkin and trying to ferret out the name of the one who mentioned it to them in the first place. Being birds, their memories did not extend far enough to be reliable. But I have a pretty good guess as to who it was.

Mothman is playing dirty now. 

Edited by Lord of the Dish Pit
  • Haha 13

47 minutes ago, Morihalda said:

Oooh, thank you! I super appreciate that. I was trying to find videos online about transporting two-handed swords or fighting with them, but I've really got to work on my Google searching. I'm awful. :( The closest I've found has been illustrations holding it like this or with the arm straight down the side cradling the pommel. 

A two-handed sword might be strapped on the back for transport while marching, but in real life as mentioned above it wasn't really carried in a scabbard - it was usually carried like a pike or a rifle, resting the flat of the blade on the shoulder with the hand on the pommel.

Unlike the massive greatswords in fantasy illustrations, a real two-handed sword isn't very wide for its length, and doesn't weigh as much as you might think. They're mainly unwieldy and difficult to carry around due to their length rather than anything else.

45 minutes ago, Morihalda said:

And gods forbid I look up "female holding a greatsword."

:blink:

Hey, some of those pictures are great reference images... Just not for the swords, lol.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

49 minutes ago, Morihalda said:

I looked her up and her bangs are seriously perfect. I'm going to use her as a reference now, thank you!!

Oooh, thank you! I super appreciate that. I was trying to find videos online about transporting two-handed swords or fighting with them, but I've really got to work on my Google searching. I'm awful. :( The closest I've found has been illustrations holding it like this or with the arm straight down the side cradling the pommel.

And gods forbid I look up "female holding a greatsword."

:blink:

Using this as a search term:

Medieval Fighting Manual

DuckDuckGo  brings up probably more information that you will ever need.

GEM

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Ahhh! You folks are excellent, thank you. :wub: I'm learning so much about swords today!

I found a few photos like this on a site called the ARMA and it makes me a very happy Mori.

p9160037.jpg

LPUls.jpg

I guess this second one is technically a longsword, not a greatsword, but at miniature size, it might still read well as a greatsword.

Edit: OOH this one is cool too! But as a sculpt, would it cover her face too much?

OLf.jpg

Edited by Morihalda
  • Like 8

18 minutes ago, Morihalda said:

Edit: OOH this one is cool too! But as a sculpt, would it cover her face too much?

OLf.jpg

For a diorama, no.  For a gaming miniature, probably. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I picked Megan up an I Love You gift for her Eberron game - a PDF of #30 Fleshgrafts.

It looks like the Kytons are the big bad, and this seems like a perfect fit for the way Megan is running them.

Basically surgically attached fleshy magic items.

A Review led me to the book.

Not gonna read the book - I kind of want to be horrified and surprised.

96540.jpg

Nah, that doesn't look Kytonish at all, at all...

The Auld Grump

• Like 4

More sword things! Learning more sword things!

"The Why of Weapons: The Great Sword of War" on Mythic Scribes.

Kiara is going to be awesome!! 

• Like 8

13 hours ago, redambrosia said:

My job doesn't offer paid maternity leave. Which sucks. I mean, I'll have 4 weeks of vacation my the time the baby is born, but I don't feel like 4 weeks is enough. 

But! Our union contract is up at the end of the year, so I'm campaigning to get paid maternity/paternity leave included. I've already got half of us on board for asking for it, if I can get one or two more I feel like we have a good chance of getting it. 

Mwuhahaha!

Good luck!!

10 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

I read that someone is working on Baldur's Gate 3 !!

Depending on how they do it, that might be cool news.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Mad Jack said:

Point of order - a two-handed sword (or any sword larger than a gladius, really) wouldn't have that part of the blade sharpened anyway...

If you check out any Medieval combat manual or demonstration, fighters will routinely grip their swords by the bottom half of the blade for certain strikes - only the last two or two and a half feet from the pointy end are sharpened, for various reasons.

Eh, not so much. A ricasso was added to a lot of longer blades, but it wasn't typically a very large thing compared to the sharpened edge. Even on a zweihander with a blade length of 5+ feet they would sharpen the majority of the blade and leave a ricasso of about a foot. Most ricasso were just about the size of a hand's width because they were there to assist with one thing - gripping the hilt by letting you wrap a finger over the crossguard. Half swording was done by grabbing the sharpened blade, and no one cared because usually you'd be wearing gauntlets made of leather and steel, or even chain mittens, to help prevent you from slicing your own hands up.

5 hours ago, Morihalda said:

Yea, your best bet for finding illustrations of how a 2-handed sword was historically held is to look up illustrations of the Landsknechts, specifically the Doppelsöldners. They were the premier zweihander fighters of their time. But the short of it is that those 2 positions were pretty much the only ways to do it on the march, because the length is very unwieldy. The other way to do it on the march was "throw it in the cart." Just always remember that the blade lies on the flat on the shoulder, not on the edge.

For fighting stances, a lot of long sword stuff translates over well. Folks that recreate Talhoffer and Liechtenauer would be a good place to start. HEMA(Historical European Martial Arts) and ARMA(Association of Renaissance Martial Arts) are great places to find people who are recreating those styles.

Oh, and back scabbards are pretty much pure fantasy.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

Continuing with the Death House pregens:

Male half-orc druid: Using this mini for inspiration & mini(of course): http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/half-orc druid/latest/02980

I'm not exactly sure what his backstory is. I did have a orc fighter but I ended up deleting him but they were gonna be connected.

Male dragonborn fighter: Of course this is what the orc transformed into. I'll be using the new Wizkids unpainted spear fighter for this guy. He is soldier with a terrible past that he wants to forget.

Female aasimar (protector) paladin: This particular pregens has came down to ReaperCon, 3 years in a row. ha ha. Anyways, character is based off of this mini: http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/isabeau/sku-down/03364. Probably one of my favorite Werner Klocke minis. Of course being a paladin, Ravenloft just loves to break this stalwart defenders of good down.

Male gnome (forest) sorcerer: http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/corim/sku-down/03433 His background is guild artisan & he wants to be really good at what he does. It may figured into his reason why the Mists have taken a interest in him.

All that is left is Ranger, Rogue, Warlock & Wizard. Since I'm trying to use a different race for each class, that leaves me with elf, halfling, & tiefling from the PH. Tabaxi & possibly the Kenku from Volo's. So 5 races for 4 classes. Kenku I've tried before but with the mimicry, it wasn't easy for the player, so who knows.

Looking forward to the game!! Starting next Monday!!

• Like 6

On 10/5/2018 at 7:52 PM, Mad Jack said:

Are you familiar with the Jewett City vampires? I've used them for inspiration in various undead/haunting/family curse scenarios on a number of occasions...

I was vaguely aware - but a good find. ::): The story of Mercy Brown of Rhode Island is similar. (Consumptive tuberculosis was the basis of more than one 'vampire' outbreak.)

If you can find it - the National Geographic show Vampire Forensics is well worth watching. (Check your library - there is a good chance it is there.)

The name of the town is Chillwell, named after the well that recently drained - even in summer, small bits of ice could sometimes be found in the flowing waters that fed the well.

Until this month, the waters of the well were of amazing purity, and very, very cold.

Now the well emits a dry, foetid stench, and the waters can no longer be seen, through the darkness of the well.

The Auld Grump - a hundred feet of rope is far too great a length for a useful well.

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, Unruly said:

Oh, and back scabbards are pretty much pure fantasy.

It's true, though they work better than certain YouTube commentators would like you to believe. You're never going to get a back scabbard of the usual sort of design that allows a rapid draw, though.

That said, it would be possible to build a relatively convenient open-frame scabbard for a Zweihänder. Tip cup around 6" deep, a rigid spine of some sort, and hooks to hold the quillons. You would only have to raise the blade far enough to get it out of the cup and above the quillon hooks to be able to use it. I've seen no evidence that anything like this was done historically, though.

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, LittleBluberry said:

I assume some of you have seen this post from Ladystorm, but I figured I would link it anyway.  

http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/82989-ladystorms-winter-contest-yeti/

Hmm... so where can I find a suitable miniature for Yukon Cornelius...?

The Auld Grump - hey! Bones bounce, Bumbles bounce... it's a perfect fit! :lol:

• Like 2
  • Haha 8