Froggy the Great

Randomness XIV: THE FLOOR IS LAVA!

2 hours ago, Pegazus said:

That’s more than I have as I got a goose egg on that. But family history was that great^3 grandmother was half savage Indian, and at the time of her birth, that wasn’t exactly a good thing to claim. So now we are left pondering why that false history got passed down. Nobody’s results have shown anything that would have been embarrassing back in the day, so it’s really weird. 

Got a similar situation on my mom's side. They've always claimed that they had a mohawk ancestor even when it wasn't good to have any native relations. Other than skin colour my uncle and grandpa even look a lot like the paintings of early 19th century mohawk/iroquois chiefs. Yet the DNA testing doesn't show any. Could be like Klarg said and just doesn't show up. And still the uncle who did the test got a positive for neanderthal. We had fun teasing him about that but we realise it means the rest of us are too because we're blood relatives.

My dad is 1/4 Lakota with it being well documented but his test only showed 17% native american. The only real surprises (other than slightly wonky percentages) was that despite his grandfather claiming to be Scottish there was very little Scottish DNA and there was some finnish that was unexpected. Lot of irish though and at times that could have been considered pretty bad. ::P: 

Just remembered that the supposedly mohawk woman married an irishman too. What was worse in upstate New York in the 1850s, being mohawk or being irish? And she was raised in an irish catholic orphanage. Don't have any photographs of her so can't even guess that way.

• Like 6

18 minutes ago, Pegazus said:

Nope, story was that she was left on a church doorstep with a note claiming that heritage. Preacher adopted her so the family tree doesn’t go past that. Preacher and wife were childless at the time, so no chance of a daughter secretly getting pregnant.

That does kind of sound like a story one would make up at that time If you never told the dad you were pregnant, and wanted to make sure the person you left the child with didn't go asking around.

Edited by Werkrobotwerk
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, redambrosia said:

It's weird, aside from the miserable queasy moments and the occasional crazy moments, I have been absurdly happy and positive since finding out I'm pregnant. Like, Hubby is extremely worried and stressed right now, he feels like he's let me down because he got fired, but I'm just like, we'll be fine, you'll get a new job, we can crush anything in our path together! Rawr! 

Happy baby hormones I guess.

onward-to-victory.png.f9bf294bbcd57572210efe2f6a3a63b5.png

• Like 3
  • Haha 9

Husband and I should really get a couple of those tests and do them. I've always been curious but the health marker things seems useful when the only people on my dad's side of the family are dead, they are the only ones that could have given me accurate info on family health history.

• Like 7

I'd love to do one of those ancestry DNA tests.

I'm supposed to be 50% English, 12.5% American, 12.5% Native American, 12.5% French and 12.5% Polish, it would be interesting to find out if I am.

• Like 5
  • Confused 1

Ow.

Heroic Maps is having a sale of 50% off on 'Hallowe'en' themed maps....

Including two versions of an insane asylum - active and abandoned.

There is no way I could run two horror scenarios in the same asylum, twenty years apart, is there? (Mwa ha ha ha!)

This... could be painful....

The Auld Grump, yeah... it is gonna be painful....

• Like 7
  • Haha 5

13 hours ago, redambrosia said:

I'm really hoping something falls in this guy. Like maybe frozen waste from an airplane.

We can make that happen...

It may be difficult to explain how the frozen airplane waste hit him on a mostly-horizontal trajectory through an open window, though, and why a truck was seen leaving the area towing a circus cannon...

2 hours ago, Zink said:

What was worse in upstate New York in the 1850s, being mohawk or being irish?

Well, if the tribe a person was descended from was local, and had a large population remaining, there was a good chance they were better looked upon than the Irish unless there was a very large Irish population as well - the anti-Catholic bias back then was pretty strong in a lot of places, and then being Irish on top of that wouldn't have helped.

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Mad Jack said:

We can make that happen...

It may be difficult to explain how the frozen airplane waste hit him on a mostly-horizontal trajectory through an open window, though, and why a truck was seen leaving the area towing a circus cannon...

Well, if the tribe a person was descended from was local, and had a large population remaining, there was a good chance they were better looked upon than the Irish unless there was a very large Irish population as well - the anti-Catholic bias back then was pretty strong in a lot of places, and then being Irish on top of that wouldn't have helped.

Better tool would be Chicken Gun.

If you aren't familiar with these, they are used to fire bird carcasses, usually chickens, because - cheap and easily available, at aircraft windscreens to assess levels of bird-strike resistance.

There's an old technical joke about thawing the chickens before loading them into the gun.

I can see one of these being used to fire pre-cast "ice cubes" of appropriate  "composite material" brought to just below the melting point at the target.  The forces involved in moving the "ice cube" to speed should result in "things" arriving at the target at just about the melting point.

GEM

1 hour ago, aku-chan said:

I'd love to do one of those ancestry DNA tests.

I'm supposed to be 50% English, 12.5% American, 12.5% Native American, 12.5% French and 12.5% Polish, it would be interesting to find out if I am.

I'm confused.

What precisely is the difference here?

GEM

• Like 5

Jack is going to cease being an idiot temporarily (not in time to actually accomplish anything, mind you), and log off and do stuff he should have done two days ago instead of wasting them doing what he's doing now...

2 minutes ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

Better tool would be Chicken Gun.

I went with the circus cannon for the barrel diameter, rather than the velocity...  ::D:

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Mad Jack said:

Jack is going to cease being an idiot temporarily (not in time to actually accomplish anything, mind you), and log off and do stuff he should have done two days ago instead of wasting them doing what he's doing now...

I went with the circus cannon for the barrel diameter, rather than the velocity...  ::D:

Ah, but you see, the advantage of the Chicken Gun is that it can be disguised as a Vac-Truck with a tender.

The tender containing the pumps, air tanks, and connecting hoses, and the Vac-Truck being the loading chamber and short but very large diameter barrel.

Use Punkin' Chunkin technology for the actual works.

Come to think of it, very big pumpkins would make a very good "wadding" for the "package" to be delivered.

I consider collateral damage to the widow and adjacent wall to be just a part of the incidental cost of continuing to employ the elf hat that is the proposed target.

GEM

Now you can go do adulting stuff.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

I consider collateral damage to the widow and adjacent wall to be just a part of the incidental cost of continuing to employ the elf hat that is the proposed target.

Wasn't loosing her spouse enough?  Must we also include her in this vengeance?  ::P:

• Haha 9

15 minutes ago, Erifnogard said:

Wasn't loosing her spouse enough?  Must we also include her in this vengeance?  ::P:

OOPS!

My Bad.

But it does make for an amusing turn of phrase.

GEM

Nope, - I ain'tent fixin' it.

Edited by Green Eyed Monster
  • Haha 7

29 minutes ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

OOPS!

My Bad.

But it does make for an amusing turn of phrase.

GEM

Nope, - I ain'tent fixin' it.

Heh.  For my sins I also had a typo.  Should have been losing her spouse not loosing.

I ain't fixin' mine neither. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

8 hours ago, Pegazus said:

That’s more than I have as I got a goose egg on that. But family history was that great^3 grandmother was half savage Indian, and at the time of her birth, that wasn’t exactly a good thing to claim. So now we are left pondering why that false history got passed down. Nobody’s results have shown anything that would have been embarrassing back in the day, so it’s really weird. 

I read your Family Origin Story and raise you mine:

My mother’s family always insisted that their grandmother was full-blooded Indian.   This always seemed reasonable to me since I knew that my great-grandfather was an Indian Agent on the local reservation, and various relatives had random framed photos from the turn of the century showing several natives in traditional outfits. 

Until one day 3 years ago I was visiting an uncle I hadn’t seen for years.  As we got reminiscing, he offered to bring out the old family photo albums he had inherited some years back.  Page after page of photos go by of various natives until he comes to one of a clearly Caucasian woman in fashionable late 19th century dress. He points and says proudly to me “There’s your great-grandmother!”  My mother and I both stare at him and gently point out that the woman in the photo is clearly not Indian. He argues that of course she is —she’s French Canadian from Quebec.   :rock:  :blink:  :rolleyes:

He just couldn’t be moved from his belief that French-Canadian = Indian. How my mother (who was 61 at the time) had never seen this photo and realized that the Family Origin Story was so far off is beyond me. 

• Like 8
  • Confused 2

29 minutes ago, AutumnHare said:

He just couldn’t be moved from his belief that French-Canadian = Indian. How my mother (who was 61 at the time) had never seen this photo and realized that the Family Origin Story was so far off is beyond me. 

It actually makes plenty of sense to me...  Metis are very much their own community within Canada but tended to get lumped in with either natives or whites.  Their language was a derivative of French but unless you speak French you might not be able to tell the difference.  There is a plethora of possible explanations.  

• Like 6