Froggy the Great

Randomness XIV: THE FLOOR IS LAVA!

2 hours ago, kristof65 said:

Ugh.

So I'm running a D&D game bi weekly at the local high school. We currently have 8 players.  So I let them dig through my bones collection and pick out minis.  Gave them each a little form to fill out to give me an idea of how they would like them painted - the form had little check boxes for which skin triad to use (I had a sample card there, too),  then lines for hair color, primary and accent colors for their clothing.

Pulled the minis out today and start looking at their forms.

First sheet: primary red with black accents

2nd sheet: brown with green

3rd sheet: purple with black

4th sheet: dark grey with black

5th sheet: black with purple

6th sheet: black with dark grey

7th sheet: black with silver

8th sheet: black with purple.

I am going to be sick of painting black.

At least they all picked different skin tones and hair colors.

"It's like, how much more black could this be? and the answer is none. None more black."

• Like 8
  • Haha 4

Just now, Doug Sundseth said:

"It's like, how much more black could this be? and the answer is none. None more black."

Or Friday night at a goth/punk bar o_O  Only thing missing is the guy rocking a bit of neon/hot pink alongside the black.

• Like 4
  • Haha 10

We made it to the temple and the crashed airship - and found Jon's barbarian's full orc older half brother - who was with the anthropologists.

Apparently, part of the reason why Jon's older brother was with the expedition was because a human anthropologist worked so well with his dad.... (Half orcs in Eberron are mostly the result of marriage.)

The problem is that the Society is already working the ruins - so trying to sneak in is complicated by not wanting to be found out by potential allies.

I solved this conundrum by selling our services to the head of the expedition - they have already lost people during the exploration - there is at least one damaged iron golem type thing guarding the passages, and we are pretty sure that there are more - likely in better condition.

Plus, the Society is not the first group working the ruins - their airship wan't taken down by halflings on pterosaurs, they were taken down by something all too familiar to us, after our journey into the ruins of Metrol. The flying monster created by the kytons.

The archaeologists are in the ruins as much to hide from the kytons as they are trying to explore.

And the kytons, in turn, are being attacked by gargoyles that arise from the top of the temple - there were three of the blimp monsters, and now there are only two - the gargoyles swarmed the first one. Lots of dead gargoyles, but.... (I think Megan is using the damage taken by the blimp monsters to balance things - the one we ran into in Metrol almost killed us all.)

The gargoyles have not tried to attack the Society - and this is Eberron, so I am not certain that the gargoyles are among the bad guys - they may be protectors of... something.

Since we have taken one of the blimp monsters already, it makes us the best choice for the vanguard.

But if we find what and/or who we are after then we made to hide it/him from the Society. (The mad scientist Artificer that made whatever happened in Metrol happen fled with something, and was heading to this same area - this is where whatever happened was first explored. (Recovered magic, not a new invention. I have a bad feeling that what happened to Xendrick started in these ruins... an extraplanar invasion sounds... familiar.)

Oh, and the fire elemental that drove the Society's airship has escaped, and may be hunting the expedition.... (Fortunately, fire elementals are not good at hiding in shadows. Funny, that.)

One major change from the previous scenario - I have pumped points into my Use Magic Device, so we now have some area effect spells available, just not from the spellcasters.... My character mostly relies on Web, but he has both Fireball and Lightning Bolt wands for emergencies. Still, going to waste about one shot in four, since I will have to roll. I didn't want to use the wands until I leveled one more time - one lost charge in four I will risk, one in three - not so much.

And Julie has kept one of the pterosaur corpses - the one we didn't eat. (Yes, pterosaur tastes a lot like chicken....) I think she plans on reanimating it.

And... I am going to try to talk our way past the iron golem before trying to fight it - it looks like a primitive warforged more than a standard iron golem.

And the construct is brightly painted - greens and golds, along with all the rust... well, crap. I just realized there are probably rust monsters in there, aren't there? Iron golems don't normally rust on their own.

The Auld Grump - Megan has also painted at least one undamaged Bones iron golem - so, let us say that I am pretty confident that there is an undamaged one wandering around as well.

• Like 8

Hmph.

Tariff bacon. Bacon should be fatty and tasty and not "we couldn't sell this as pork belly because of tariffs, elf it all, slice it for really lean bacon".

I has a sad. And too-lean bacon.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 9

Factions in Megan's Eberron game so far.

Drake Argent - we don't know what his long game is, but we have learned disturbing things about him in Scarn. Unfortunately, he is kind of our patron. The name alone is... suspicious. And he is spending a lot of money for someone without a tie to one of the Houses.

Agent Blacke and Number Seven - I think are good people in a bad situation, and Agent Blacke suffers from survivor's guilt. He tried to commit suicide by kyton while with us.

Kytons - they are at least part of what happened on the Night of Mourning - and may be the answer to what happened to a lot of the people that disappeared, rather than just died. (I suspect a lot of the missing people were broken down for parts.)

The giants were just innocent bystanders, I think.

The halflings - we killed an entire warband of them - that does not mean that they are no longer a threat.

The Society - I keep thinking Pathfinder Society, and for good reason. I think they are on the up and up - at least the ones on the crashed ship.

Gargoyles and Golems - I think were left here to protect something. Which may bring us back to the giants, though these ruins look kind of small for giant buildings.

Richars Mydol - missing arcanist, the guy we were trying to track when we got ambushed by Jon's loving family. :lol:

The people that sent the flying monkey construct after us in the pub.

The Auld Grump - and I am sure that I am missing some.

11 minutes ago, NebulousMissy said:

Hmph.

Tariff bacon. Bacon should be fatty and tasty and not "we couldn't sell this as pork belly because of tariffs, elf it all, slice it for really lean bacon".

I has a sad. And too-lean bacon.

Good for soups.

The Auld Grump

• Like 7

I'm very sad. This TV show that I binged over a couple of days doesn't seem to have a second season and it ended in a cliffhanger of sorts. My mom, I watched it with her, looked everywhere for info on a second season or even just the story/plot of a second season since the creator wrote 2 seasons. Alas, there is none to be found. 

ETA: It's called The Kittering Incident if anyone was wondering. It's wonderfully mysterious and creepy.

Edited by SparrowMarie
  • Sad 11

1 hour ago, WhiteWulfe said:

Or Friday night at a goth/punk bar o_O  Only thing missing is the guy rocking a bit of neon/hot pink alongside the black.

One of the figures is now getting a neon pink accent.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 4

Bright side - by the time you're done all of those black outfits, you'll be super duper mega awesome at painting black ^_^

• Like 12
  • Haha 1

I've got some time off coming up so I might actually have time to keep up around here for a bit! I miss y'all. I was telling a friend tonight how much I love the forums and forumites.

• Like 16

Well this was a different accident. I was painting and #2 son brought the toddler downstairs. We were watching her and she grabbed a box of Scale 75 paints off the shelf. Wasn't too worried about it. She kind of burped/puked up a bit. The box has an open slit along one edge where you can see the actual bottles. Guess where the mess went? Had to spend a few minutes cleaning it off the bottles and out of the box. On the plus side I finished painting a dragon that I've been struggling with for the last year. Not super happy with him but he's shiny. All done in TMM except eyes and mouth. 

• Like 17

Slow night at work. And it's finally starting to get cold. And I could only find one of my fingerless gloves. I want to go home, but I've got another 6 hours left.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 9

2 hours ago, canuckotter said:

I've got some time off coming up so I might actually have time to keep up around here for a bit! I miss y'all. I was telling a friend tonight how much I love the forums and forumites.

Yaaaaaaay, we will get to see you around a bit more again, wooohooooo! 

Edited by WhiteWulfe
  • Like 4

Well, overdose death in one of our garages. The one that's connected to the police department. Because WV is #1 in the nation for overdose deaths. At least we're #1 in something...

• Sad 23

2 hours ago, Unruly said:

Slow night at work. And it's finally starting to get cold. And I could only find one of my fingerless gloves. I want to go home, but I've got another 6 hours left.

In your line of work...a slow night is a good night...yes?

39 minutes ago, Unruly said:

Well, overdose death in one of our garages. The one that's connected to the police department. Because WV is #1 in the nation for overdose deaths. At least we're #1 in something...

So much for the slow night. :wacko:

• Like 10

53 minutes ago, TGP said:

In your line of work...a slow night is a good night...yes?

So much for the slow night. :wacko:

Eh, I'm parking enforcement. Being slow just tends to make the night drag unless there's a handful of people out that are also working that I can BS with.

The OD doesn't actually make my night any busier or anything. It just means that my boss might ask about it on Monday, but it's not like there was anything I could have done. It was his friends that found him in the car and who called 911. I just came into the garage when I saw the fire truck parked the wrong way on the street and blocking the exit. By then, they were getting ready to put him in the bag and cart him out.

• Like 4
  • Sad 6