Froggy the Great

Randomness XIV: THE FLOOR IS LAVA!

2 hours ago, Clearman said:

I enjoy Baco's.  Next time I have a salad, I will think of this and yell a mighty 'Gaaahhrrr' in your name. 

Enjoying Baco's is permissible just as long as you realize they are Baco's, a cheap and easy way to provide a suitable transportation system for artificial and [very small quantities of] natural flavorings with an acceptable tactile feel in the mouth in a certified food grade package.

Enjoy, and revel in the Joy Of The Moment when Actual Bacon Bits do unexpectedly turn up.

GEM

• Like 5

13 hours ago, Zink said:

This is one thing that irritates me with our laws. Push comes to shove I will do everything I have to to protect myself and my family but then I may be seen as the criminal and face charges. We don't really have the right to protect ourselves anymore. We're supposed to rely on the police but they can be up to an hour away if you can make the call. There was an incident in my little town a month or so ago where a teenager was beating up a younger kid. The kid's dad saw what was happening and grabbing the big one off his kid. Now the dad is up on assault charges and he never even hurt the older kid, just restrained him. He was supposed to stand there, maybe filming it to get evidence, and wait for a half hour for the police while his kid was getting beat up. :grr:

Well, found out today that I am allowed to hit back. Boss called, and right after he asked if I was ok he asked if I hit him back. When I said no, he asked why not. So I explained the way it went down, and he laughed. He's angry that the cops didn't arrest the guy last night though. He said that the way the city laws are written, we're considered city officials and someone punching us is the same as someone punching the mayor. So he said he's gonna be talking to the police chief about it on Monday.

The guy that punched me also came in tonight to apologize. I told him that I accept his apology but I'm still pressing charges, and he said that he deserved it for being such an idiot. On Monday I'm gonna call my dentist and see if I can get in for a check on my bridge, because one of my posts doesn't feel right. When I got hit I know my bottom teeth collided with my bridge, so I'm gonna have him take a look and maybe do x-rays to see if the post is cracked or something. Which the guy that punched me will end up paying for(as well as any potential dental work that needs done) if he's found guilty.

• Like 12

So I have a new Life Goal to aim for.

I want to be at Disneyland for the 100th Anniversary celebration.

With the rate of price rise in admission I think I'd better start saving for my ticket on Monday Morning.

6 minutes ago, Unruly said:

Well, found out today that I am allowed to hit back. Boss called, and right after he asked if I was ok he asked if I hit him back. When I said no, he asked why not. So I explained the way it went down, and he laughed. He's angry that the cops didn't arrest the guy last night though. He said that the way the city laws are written, we're considered city officials and someone punching us is the same as someone punching the mayor. So he said he's gonna be talking to the police chief about it on Monday.

The guy that punched me also came in tonight to apologize. I told him that I accept his apology but I'm still pressing charges, and he said that he deserved it for being such an idiot. On Monday I'm gonna call my dentist and see if I can get in for a check on my  bridge, because one of my posts doesn't feel right. When I got hit I know my bottom teeth collided with my bridge, so I'm gonna have him take a look and maybe do x-rays to see if the post is cracked or something. Which the guy that punched me will end up paying for(as well as any potential dental work that needs done) if he's found guilty.

Really sorry to hear about the grief you are going through.

When you see your dentist have him do a full mouth set of x-rays and compare them with the last set taken.

If you got hit hard enough to damage bridgework there could also be damage to other teeth that won't be apparent for a while without the shadow on an x-ray film to point out any new damage.

For your sake I hope there is nothing to worry about, but a little extra inspection work now could mitigate an otherwise severe problem at some later point in time.

Since this is work related would it fall under Workers Comp. Insurance in your state?

GEM

• Like 7

12 minutes ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

Really sorry to hear about the grief you are going through.

When you see your dentist have him do a full mouth set of x-rays and compare them with the last set taken.

If you got hit hard enough to damage bridgework there could also be damage to other teeth that won't be apparent for a while without the shadow on an x-ray film to point out any new damage.

For your sake I hope there is nothing to worry about, but a little extra inspection work now could mitigate an otherwise severe problem at some later point in time.

Since this is work related would it fall under Workers Comp. Insurance in your state?

GEM

Dunno. Probably. The plan on Monday is to get the x-rays done, if he can get me in then, and then if there's anything wrong find out how much the fix is. I honestly don't think there's gonna be any damage to anything but the post, if there's any damage at all, because the hit really wasn't that hard. I've felt worse after getting hit in the head in full armor during SCA fights than I did with this sucker punch. It's just that posts are very tiny portions of tooth, and even a relatively light hit can break them. At a minimum, the guy will end up paying for the x-ray visit if he's convicted, since it's related to the hit.

• Like 6

24 minutes ago, Unruly said:

The guy that punched me also came in tonight to apologize. I told him that I accept his apology but I'm still pressing charges, and he said that he deserved it for being such an idiot. On Monday I'm gonna call my dentist and see if I can get in for a check on my bridge, because one of my posts doesn't feel right. When I got hit I know my bottom teeth collided with my bridge, so I'm gonna have him take a look and maybe do x-rays to see if the post is cracked or something. Which the guy that punched me will end up paying for(as well as any potential dental work that needs done) if he's found guilty.

I'm glad to hear you've got the right to defend yourself. Gotta agree with GEM about getting it checked out. What the guy said reminded me of one of my friends back when we were in college. We partied hard and got stupid at times but were generally decent guys. It was a popular thing for guys to hang around after the bars closed to see who was toughest. My buddy got his @ss whipped one night and the police asked him if he was going to press charges. He said," No I think I started it and I got what I deserved."

• Like 6

@redambrosia Yep, I've already scheduled my first ever therapeutic massage for Monday; this has been lurking for a couple of weeks now in the form of generally stiff neck and shoulders, and it just decided to pounce in full force today. I know what's causing it since similar events have happened before (and I've done PT for), but I just can't help getting super tense when I'm stressed, which causes problems. Luckily this particular stress should be finished up by January. Hopefully. 

After much prodding and stretching and rubbing, I've discovered that the root of the problem seems to have been a slight kink in my neck. This caused several muscles to spasm and in this case apparently irritating a facial nerve which is then radiating ouch-ness along a couple of the neighboring branches (specifically the ones that the dentist targets when they numb you up). It's just odd because usually I know instantly when the kink happens and it then causes my neck to stiffen up like I've suddenly become Batman. Which would be a whole lot cooler if it also came with the cool toys and billionaire status. :lol:

Huzzah! 

--OneBoot :D 

• Like 10

Wheee, testing out new brushes is fun! 

... Sort of.  On one paw, I'm painting, so this is good!  Heck, it's even the last mini left over from my LTPK's!  First one (Princeton Snap! 9850) I ran into the same problems hubby has with his (it dries out quickly), so when I finished that colour, I changed brushes.  I didn't even finish the first coat with the Princeton Red Hat 6550R, as it dries out terribly fast, doesn't spread paint well, and worst of all I couldn't get that red silicon thing to really do anything other than be annoying!  No wait, worst was just how fast the tip would fork out if it was loaded with what I considered a reasonable amount of paint... 

Okay, third brush, on to the Robert Simmons Expression E85.  Short version - while I do like the chunkier handle, I find myself gripping near the ferrule more, but it's still comfy to hold.  It also stays wet the longest, which is quite nice because I found it behaving similarly to my W&N Series 7,and it's a synthetic brush! O_o  It doesn't quite hold a great tip, but since I can load a decent amount of paint into it and it keeps that good for a while, I'm more than happy with this brush for base coats through middle layers... 

Last is the Winsor and Newton Scepter Gold II 110, which beyond being a mouthful to write or say, was a joy to paint with, and held a good point too. It felt the most like my Series 7, although had qualities of its own.  I didn't want to put this one down, which to me says it'll do the job just fine come next week... 

Obviously I'll still use the Series 7, but I'd much rather make use of cheaper brushes for the brunt of the challenge simply because I strongly suspect that I'll be rushing through certain parts...  That and I wanted to see what else was out there.  Do I still prefer my Series 7?  You bet, but it's nice to see alternatives (that I could use in a travel set, for example). 

Friday is going to be interesting, I suspect.  I really really should come up with a paint scheme for the heroes at some point, or at least a basic plan of attack other than "liner all the things!" 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, Lord of the Dish Pit said:

To even refer to such foulness as bacon is a hair's breath away from from Heresy! 

image.png.872ee513e08b725d9e728c0de6043870.png

6 hours ago, ub3r_n3rd said:

You rang? :huh:

I did, and now you,  after all that time you knock on my door with that axe in the middle of the night?

Consider the timezones my dear barbarian friend.

Oh well, glad to see you!

People here are getting out of hand trying to defend fake bacon, fake oreos, I'm afraid we need your rage to solve this matter.

Oh sorry,

Too many words, right?

Here push this button!

image.png.b7b609f42cf51132d5ca13923938e8fd.png

Edited by Glitterwolf
  • Haha 9

9 hours ago, Lord of the Dish Pit said:

To even refer to such foulness as bacon is a hair's breath away from from Heresy! 

I'm not saying it was aliens...

6 hours ago, Lord of the Dish Pit said:

Somewhere someone is trying to pass off soybeans as "bacon".

Raging is required.

@ub3r_n3rd  ...see next:

99642fba-2019-43a3-9017-547b3e2aed0e_1.c

Zoom in to read the ingredients list...  <_<

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 8

@WhiteWulfe Thanks for the brush review.  You hear much about expensive brushes but usually only 'they're terrible' about less expensive ones.

Good luck with the challenge.  I do not have that kind of patience.  My airbrush was one of the best things to happen to my psyche!

@Unruly you May want him to pay, and if found guilty, he might, but I would definitely ask at work about workmans compensation.  If not for your financial piece of mind, then for your workplace and any future lawsuits and trials.  I don't know anything about your work laws but I know my boss would have my head if I wasn't looked over by an industrial physician following a work injury.  

Also, the idea of being able to return fire, as it were, sounds positively awesome.  When I worked security in a mall a long time ago, I would up taking akido basically to learn how to scuffle using Someone else's energy so I could say i never threw a punch. 

Edited by Kangaroorex
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Kangaroorex said:

Also, the idea of being able to return fire, as it were, sounds positively awesome.  When I worked security in a mall a long time ago, I would up taking akido basically to learn how to scuffle using Someone else's energy so I could say i never threw a punch. 

The guy who runs my FLCS is an accomplished martial artist. If I remember correctly, he's a practitioner of Japanese Kenpo. He used to be an instructor, and he's had friends who have been trying to get him to start teaching again. I've talked to him about it as well, because I was looking for a place to learn. Sadly, according to him the majority of places around here are belt mills, a whole lot of bullshido, or overpriced daycare posing as a fitness program.

Apparently the only place that is actually worth going to that's fairly local is about an hour south of here and it's run by the retired police chief of that town, and he's someone who has a pedigree that you can actually confirm. And it's a place that will teach you to actually be able to fight, not a place that will teach you to be able to compete/spar, because those are two entirely different things with entirely different mindsets. While learning how to fight means you can also compete, learning how to compete does not mean that you have learned how to fight. Because competitions have rules and referees, and fights don't.

But if my comic book guy starts teaching again, I may try and take his classes. He said the first couple years are basically spent drilling the bare fundamentals into your brain and muscle memory to the point that they've become second nature, and only then do you move on to anything else. Which is fine by me.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

16 hours ago, NebulousMissy said:

... :unsure:

I just got back from the eye dr...

I need... reading glasses... :down:

I'm 35 and I need reading glasses. Yellow tinted reading glasses. <_<

I am amazingly glad I simply take all glasses off to paint. 

Was the yellow tint a requirement? And if so, why?

Party last night was a blast. Cookies were a hit. Decided that this morning I was gonna sleep in rather than take care of the laundry before brunch with friends in the city. 

Coffee...

Hey @ub3r_n3rd! I'm having real bacon again this morning.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Unruly said:

The guy who runs my FLCS is an accomplished martial artist. If I remember correctly, he's a practitioner of Japanese Kenpo. He used to be an instructor, and he's had friends who have been trying to get him to start teaching again. I've talked to him about it as well, because I was looking for a place to learn. Sadly, according to him the majority of places around here are belt mills, a whole lot of bullshido, or overpriced daycare posing as a fitness program.

Apparently the only place that is actually worth going to that's fairly local is about an hour south of here and it's run by the retired police chief of that town, and he's someone who has a pedigree that you can actually confirm. And it's a place that will teach you to actually be able to fight, not a place that will teach you to be able to compete/spar, because those are two entirely different things with entirely different mindsets. While learning how to fight means you can also compete, learning how to compete does not mean that you have learned how to fight. Because competitions have rules and referees, and fights don't.

But if my comic book guy starts teaching again, I may try and take his classes. He said the first couple years are basically spent drilling the bare fundamentals into your brain and muscle memory to the point that they've become second nature, and only then do you move on to anything else. Which is fine by me.

That sounds about right.  My instructor then, and my recent instructor, prior to me getting ill, all had a mandatory 6 months as white followed by a year as yellow belt.  This was to push fundamentals and basic moves (and falling, lots of falling) to the point where they were reflexive.  My wife still practices, though neither one of us competed very much.  Turns out that all though off you learn to fight you can compete, you aren't going to do well.  Taking a glancing blow to realize a solid punch is not a valid strategy in the ring and that was part of my training.

Good luck in finding a trainer, if you dig you might find an unbased isshin-ryu instructor.  A lot of police take that style because of the no nonsense training methods.  A number of them are willing to train to have someone to practice with.

Roo

• Like 7

I wanted to know about the yellow tinted reading glasses also. 

@NebulousMissy

This just popped up in the post editor without any effort on my part. :huh:  From more than a week ago. 

On October 8, 2018 at 11:02 PM, strawhat said:

Phase I of my Reaper Inventory is complete!  Mostly Bones III stuff, but a few individual purchases as well.  Each name, SKU, material, quantity in inventory, race, class, armor, clothing, weapons, and misc. items carried!

@strawhat What is phase II? ***

@Unruly  Do you really need a whole martial arts course? 2-3 good basic moves, well drilled, to let you deal with random 0-level, drunken yahoos would be just the thing.  What do they teach your local cops?

Edited by TGP
***If I asked before but have forgotten, my bad.
  • Like 7
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Unruly said:

I work with a kid that is supposedly a third degree black belt in karate.

I am a brown in aikijitsu, and never even tried to advance further.

I get a joint lock on him, and he is done.

That is not third degree black belt, as far as I am concerned.

In the kid's defense, he went over the lock over, and over, and over - it appears that his teacher did not include any cross-discipline training, at all.

Megan got better training in her self defense courses than this kid did in years of formal schooling. I am fairly certain that Megan could take him down, but not cleanly.

Makes me want to hit the instructor.

The Auld Grump - Hell, the only way to advance beyond black is supposed to be by teaching, and the kid hadn't even been told to pass it on. <_< (In my Pathfinder game there is a group of Monks called the Order of the Dirty Belt - who never change their white belts, so that they grow darker and darker over time...)

Meanwhile, I am in some bizarre form of Purgatory - one of my managers is in the TV lounge, watching a marathon about the Kardashians.... :wow:

• Like 8
  • Confused 3