Froggy the Great

Randomness XIV: THE FLOOR IS LAVA!

14 minutes ago, Pingo said:

I'm sorry. Is there something nicer we can talk about?

Oh, lol, no it's fine. Everything is making me queasy right now :lol: When I get hungry/queasy, I have a difficult time eating, because everything I think about eating makes my stomach churn. But so far, I can still eat most things. Mexican food is out, along with bacon and other pork products. 

Hubby has been really good about helping me find food I want to eat. 

I think my lizard is gonna be a picky eater. :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

20 hours ago, WhiteWulfe said:

I won't lie, I'm slightly worried about going ahead with it, but on the flip side it's that good kind of worry, where you're more wanting to make sure you have at least a basic plan of attack since time can disappear rather quickly in these challenges.  I already know my first evening will be chewed up with cleaning mold lines, superglue and greenstuff work, and of course, lining all the things.  The liner is more of a calculated risk than trying to have fewer issues with paint rubbing off, as if I'm semi-careful, I can use it to help get the basics of the terrain done faster, and also various work on shadows.

Having a rough plan of attack is probably the second most essential part of doing a Challenge without dying (the first being copious amounts of insanity, chocolate, and mad giggling). Time will definitely disappear, but the bigger problem will be your brain's utter lack of thinking ability partway through day 2, 3 if you're lucky. Making decisions will likely be more difficult due to a combination of "don't wanna" and sleep deprivation, so the more thinky stuff you can do beforehand, the better.

Load a picture into MS Paint and play with colors, do a couple of test pieces to help figure out the adventurers, etc. Lining all the things, I've found, can do a lot of the shadow work for you, especially on the terrain, which looks decent with a liner + drybrush + edge highlighting combo. Something I tried which worked better than I'd expected was to pick 2 main colors for the adventurers' clothing and leave it at that, with "generic leather color" as the third main color. That sped up not only the decision making, but also just the painting in general, since I was only having to worry about shading/highlighting for three colors (plus the skin/face), instead of half a dozen. Remember, you can always paint another, nicer copy later! ^_^ 

On 10/21/2018 at 1:31 AM, Kangaroorex said:

When I worked security in a mall a long time ago, I would up taking akido basically to learn how to scuffle using Someone else's energy so I could say i never threw a punch. 

Aidido is awesome! :wub: I joined a dojo that teaches this exclusively back in June, and it's a perfect fit for me. A focus on indirect movements, using the other person's energy, but still very powerful. A friend of mine who has done it for years defined it as "The subtle art of hitting people with the planet." :lol:

9 hours ago, NebulousMissy said:

Soy bacon is quite dangerous for someone with a soy allergy. The meatier it seems, the meatier it tastes, the more likely some well-meaning vegan will try and con me into tasting their false bacon and ending up in anaphylaxis. And worse, the less likely I am to realize my mistake before eating a dangerous dose.

This is why when I bring something to a potluck, I also bring a copy of the recipe to display next to it, so anyone with dietary concerns can tell whether it's going to kill them or not. I count myself lucky that while I may be allergic to a number of things, food isn't one of them; I've never once had a well-meaning friend sneak a cat into my salad, for instance (though I did have to show my in-laws what my cat allergy looked like when non-medicated. None of them have allergies, so they didn't really have a good grasp of the concept)

6 minutes ago, WhiteWulfe said:

Whoa, when did Froggy get yellow Moderator background status (of doom)? ^_^  If that's recent, congrats!

He's had it for awhile, before I was even a mod. ^_^

In unrelated news, I've scheduled a doctor appointment a few hours from now (I was surprised I was able to get an appointment so soon!). My neck/jaw pain has been acting unusually, and there's a couple of minor associated symptoms that I'd rather a medical professional check out before I start to get concerned. I feel very lucky to have ready, local access to medical assistance on such short notice. ^_^ 

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

• Like 13

26 minutes ago, WhiteWulfe said:

Whoa, when did Froggy get yellow Moderator background status (of doom)? ^_^  If that's recent, congrats!

I've been a moderator for (I think?) over a decade now.

And thank you!

• Like 4
  • Haha 7

Got my appointment with the dentist scheduled for tomorrow. The time sucks, but it's what was available. So I'll find out if there was any damage done to my bridge or the posts soon enough. Good thing I just had all new x-rays done a couple weeks ago, so there's something super recent to compare the new ones to.

• Like 9

2 minutes ago, Unruly said:

Got my appointment with the dentist scheduled for tomorrow. The time sucks, but it's what was available. So I'll find out if there was any damage done to my bridge or the posts soon enough. Good thing I just had all new x-rays done a couple weeks ago, so there's something super recent to compare the new ones to.

Good luck!

• Like 3

I tried soy bacon once.  The kind I had managed to get the flavor exactly right but the texture was flat out wrong.  I've not tried it since.

I've found several vegetarian meat substitutes that succeed in tasting right (or close enough to it).  The Beyond Meat burger patties and sausages (the only store that carries them around here is Whole Foods and they have an issue keeping the sausages stocked) are the best my wife and I have found.

That said... if you're making a soup that wants a little bit of pork fat, salt, and smoke (e.g. the bacon used in some New England clam chowder recipes) but you don't to use pork, try replacing the bacon with smoked gouda.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, redambrosia said:

Oh, lol, no it's fine. Everything is making me queasy right now :lol: When I get hungry/queasy, I have a difficult time eating, because everything I think about eating makes my stomach churn. But so far, I can still eat most things. Mexican food is out, along with bacon and other pork products. 

Hubby has been really good about helping me find food I want to eat. 

I think my lizard is gonna be a picky eater. :lol:

Sounds like hubby is doing his job right.  ^_^   I found food with soluble fiber (oatmeal, bananas) helped a lot with the nausea.  

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Froggy the Great said:

I now have a new 2oz bottle of Zap-a-Gap and can once again Glue The World(tm).

So. Accidentally glued your fingers to a globe again?

• Haha 14

5 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

???

I'm not familiar with that.

Excuse my ranting:

Bacon is from pork, let's all just call the animal by it's name.

We have a lot of Muslim people in the Netherlands who , of course, don't eat pork.

As a result we now have fast food stores trying to sell stuff with "chicken ham" to appease to them.

Please, a chicken has no ham, ham is pork.

We also have a line called "the vegetarian butcher" selling all sorts of fake meat.

I don't care if you eat vegan, go ahead, but don't put a vegetable looking like a hamburger in the store next to the real thing, making me accidently buy that.

I don't grind up beef and shape it like a carrot and paint it orange either...:upside:

I don't mind if someone doesn't want / or even can't eat a certain product, but let's stay clear about what is what please.

It doesn't lead to confusion and it won't offend anyone if we just call chicken, chicken, pork is pork and beef is beef and veggie is veggie.

This might sound a bit over the top, to each his own, but I just don't get why we are trying to make food sound like it is something different than it is.

Pfff..end of rant..

I'm going to eat a bacon sandwich now made of real pork.

The kind that rolls in the mud to keep the bacon tender and moist.

Technically, ham is a cut, and could come from a cow.

Or a human, for that matter. (What can I say, I'm a humanitarian. A people person....)

In regards to vegetarian foods - I lean toward Indian cuisine.

It doesn't try to pretend to be something else.

It just is.

And what it is is delicious.

The Auld Grump

Edited by TheAuldGrump
  • Like 4
  • Haha 7
  • Confused 1

Useless fire door at work is now being propped open by a folded stack of fire safety brochures.

I had a chuckle at that.

It is a useless fire door because one can walk down the hall and around the break room to find yourself once again at the fire door. Maybe 20’ tops to make that trip. Pretty sure it won’t stop any inferno from spreading. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 6
  • Confused 2

By the way - entertaining as Sam and Dain were as the ringers, they did a terrible job of infiltration! :lol:

I think it took maybe five minutes for the rest of the group to twig to their scheme. ::P: ('Come! My bumbling but loyal servant!' 'Yes, Mistress! Yes, yes!')

The Auld Grump - everybody had fun though, so good enough. I think the group wants to find a way to rescue them. I think that I will allow it.

The old 'Kill the master vampire, and they will be restored!' trope.

• Like 8

2 hours ago, redambrosia said:

Mexican food is out, along with bacon and other pork products. 

45 minutes ago, TheAuldGrump said:

Technically, ham is a cut, and could come from a cow.

Spoilered for Red’s sake...

...Ham is

pork from a leg cut...

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Pegazus said:

Kept getting a call from one number. Finally answered it, and it was a political survey.

"No, thanks, I'm just going to lie to you anyway," and hung up on them.

They called back an hour later.

*sigh*

I've become irritated enough that I'm now giving pollsters all the barrels:

• Ask them why I should answer their question.
  • Debate with them why their reasons are BS.
  • Ask who is paying for the push poll (they won't answer).
  • ETA: Ask them why I should answer their questions if they won't answer mine.
  • Ask to talk to a supervisor and threaten them with a harassment lawsuit.

6 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

I don't grind up beef and shape it like a carrot and paint it orange either...:upside:

And now I really want to do this: "Carnivore Carrots™"

Hmm, I think cut (rather than ground) pork might be a better starting texture, though. :rolleyes:

Edited by Doug Sundseth
  • Haha 9

23 minutes ago, TGP said:

Spoilered for Red’s sake...

Hide contents

...Ham is

pork from a leg cut...

If you have ever done any historical cooking, you might be familiar with the term 'ham of beef' - the whole thigh of a cow.

And let me tell you - that is a lot of cow meat. Cows is big!

Just because it is archaic does not mean that it is an incorrect term. ::P:(For one thing, people just don't have a big enough oven, these days, nor the desire to have the thing cooking over raked coals for two freakin' days... unless they are crazy, and/or in the SCA.)

The Auld Grump - the local shire cooked an entire pig, every year, at Prester John's Pre-Pennsic Pig Party.

• Like 8