Froggy the Great

Randomness XIV: THE FLOOR IS LAVA!

18 minutes ago, Doug Sundseth said:

become irritated enough that I'm now giving pollsters all the barrels:

• Ask them why I should answer their question.
  • Debate with them why their reasons are BS.
  • Ask who is paying for the push poll (they won't answer).
  • Ask to talk to a supervisor and threaten them with a harassment lawsuit.

This must vary a lot state to state ... or I’ve been very lucky.  

Makes notes regarding tactics. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Froggy the Great said:

I've been a moderator for (I think?) over a decade now.

And thank you!

Somehow I never noticed the border around your posts O_o;;;;

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

@TheAuldGrump Indian cuisine is delicious both the veggie and the meat departement.

We had the most delicious curries while on vacation in Tenerife.

As for the ham of beef thing, I have never heard of that in the Netherlands, but I'm always willing to learn things.

If you say ham in the Netherlands everybody envisions a pig's cut.

Although, here we have a lot of guys trying to sell chicken as chicken ham as an ingredient on pizza or in a pita for instance.

All to appeal to people who don't eat pork.

If you don't eat pork, then just saying it is chicken, or beef or lamb should be enough I guess?

Anyway, I never meant to start a food fight, I just want people to stop calling food different names instead of what it is.

I don't mind what anyone eats, just don't tell me that  a squished cauliflower is a hamburger.

We all know what it is.

And maybe it tastes good, but just don't try to fool me..it's not meat.

@Doug Sundseth If you ever start selling the Carnivore Carrots, I insist on a Glitterwolf edition sprayed purple.

We might actually have something here.

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

My bride is on her way home!! I've missed her this past week. 

Just about lunch time. 2 meeting this afternoon. One right after lunch, the other closer to the end of the day. Wish they were both in the morning. 

• Like 13

4 minutes ago, Crowley said:

My bride is on her way home!! I've missed her this past week. 

Just about lunch time. 2 meeting this afternoon. One right after lunch, the other closer to the end of the day. Wish they were both in the morning. 

So ehh....you're going to have bacon for lunch?

And happy reunion...

• Haha 5

2 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:

So ehh....you're going to have bacon for lunch?

And happy reunion...

Well, pork, but not bacon. 

Thanks!

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, TGP said:

This must vary a lot state to state ... or I’ve been very lucky.  

Makes notes regarding tactics. 

Purple state with some pretty high-profile elections, not just national but on the state level. It's worse, because my son hasn't registered for a party, so we've been getting both sides on every office and issue.

Hint: Register with a party, any party. Party registrations (at least here) are public record and all the campaigns pull those records looking for fresh meat possible converts unconvinced new votes. Your registration doesn't obligate you to anything, but it cuts down on the mail, unsolicited phone calls, and door-to-door canvassers.

Unless you're looking for somebody to talk to, I guess. :B):

• Like 3

Someone to talk to, or somebody to torment..?

I'm registered Independent, as in, you can keep your parties, and get almost nothing in recyclable spam. Survey calls, yes.

Eh. They wanna waste their time, it's theirs to waste....

• Like 5

I'm independent & registered & I still get both sides of junk mail. I voted over the weekend, so it's all instant trash to me now. I'd recycle em but my town's recycle rules are pretty much non-existent now due to the new China regulations.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Doug Sundseth said:

Hint: Register with a party, any party. Party registrations (at least here) are public record and all the campaigns pull those records looking for fresh meat possible converts unconvinced new votes. Your registration doesn't obligate you to anything, but it cuts down on the mail, unsolicited phone calls, and door-to-door canvassers.

I can attest to this.  

When I ran in 2014, I went down to the county election commission, and picked up a voter registration database for my district. I just had to show I had an official reason to obtain it (I was a candidate), sign a document that I wouldn't use it for anything but my intended purpose, and pay $50. Once I had that database, i was able to do some very targeted "marketing", which for me was mostly walking neighborhoods in the district.    With over 1/3rd of my district not registered to any party and the very limited budget I had for my campaign, it made no sense to target R, D or even L voters, but instead go talk to just the independent voters.   So when my wife and I made up my neighborhood maps to walk, we went to places and streets that had a higher concentration of independent voters.  I especially looked for households with 3 or more voters who were registered independent.*

If you don't like the two big parties, register with a smaller one, even if you'll probably never vote for one of their candidates.  In many places, the more registered voters a party has, the more the establishment has to pay attention to that party.  So it's like throwing a big elf you at the big guys while helping out the little ones. 

*I also looked for houses with mom, dad and adult children, where the parents were registered to opposite parties and the children as independents.  I only caught a couple of them where the whole family was home, but those were fun conversations. 

• Like 7

Short version: After visiting my doctor, then making an emergency dentist appointment, turns out all the painful oddities I've experienced over the weekend mean I need a root canal. 

To be perfectly honest, I'm actually looking forward to it because it will make all the ouch go away. I've decided, after much careful reflection, that my tooth and surrounding jaw are experiencing what I would call the worst pain I've ever felt in my life, barely edging out the time I was quite sure I was having appendicitis. So yes, I'm actually looking forward to someone drilling into the thing and stripping out its guts, it's precisely what I want to do to it myself right now. <_<

Long version to follow later today. Maybe. 

Huzzah! 

--OneBoot :D 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 14

My daughter’s schoolmate and best friend when she was eight was a sweet young girl who is now a sweet young man and I want to find him and give him a huge hug, if I can do it without crying or upsetting him.

• Like 13

2 hours ago, TheAuldGrump said:

hi-quebec.png

Huh, apparently... this is a thing.

And people in Maine do it, too....

The Auld Grump

I'd never heard of it until I read that comic. But then the only time I was in Quebec was a couple hours in the airport in Montreal almost 30 years ago.

1 hour ago, TheAuldGrump said:

If you have ever done any historical cooking, you might be familiar with the term 'ham of beef' - the whole thigh of a cow.

And let me tell you - that is a lot of cow meat. Cows is big!

Just because it is archaic does not mean that it is an incorrect term. ::P:(For one thing, people just don't have a big enough oven, these days, nor the desire to have the thing cooking over raked coals for two freakin' days... unless they are crazy, and/or in the SCA.)

The Auld Grump - the local shire cooked an entire pig, every year, at Prester John's Pre-Pennsic Pig Party.

Every summer the local community near my farm puts on the Canopus Pig Roast. They slow roast a whole pig in a custom made cooker for a couple days. Over a hundred people come for it. A few years ago a couple having marital problems were put on late evening duty watching the pig. They had a big fight and both left and the pig was burnt badly by the time the midnight shift came to check. The next morning people bought every pork roast within 100 km and every family in the Canopus area (about 10-15 x 10 mile area) was cooking as much pork as they could to help out. Not a bad event for a community that consists of a hall, mailbox and 2 houses that are only lived in part time.

• Like 6

While the creation of the Carnivore Carrot is beyond my ability, I'm tossing around ideas for a Meat Salad. Krakus Water Ham sliced paper thin would be the base lettuce replacement, small meatball tomatoes, and cubed Ham crutons would work. But I've no experience in trying to paint with food coloring, so I'm not sure if I can pull off disguising it. Instead of dressing, there would be melted Swiss Cheese. 

(If this ever becomes a Thing, remember you read it here first!)

• Like 3
  • Haha 6