Froggy the Great

Randomness XIV: THE FLOOR IS LAVA!

1 hour ago, redambrosia said:

Lemon lime soda is a magic potion, a gift from the gods to relieve the Queasy. All hail lemon lime soda!

Ginger beer or ale was the usual stomach soother when Mrs Rex was expecting

• Like 7

14 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:
15 hours ago, Doug Sundseth said:

I have a good friend that works for NOAA/UCAR. He has told me that the meteorologists there will readily admit that any forecast beyond 3 days is mostly a guess, based on a combination of average weather and current trends.

But there's a demand for a 10 day forecast, so there's a 10-day forecast.

I live in the Netherlands and I have also been told that this 3 day forecast is about the best they can predict.

Everything beyond that is always a what if situation based on several factors, wind direction being one of them.

We have a site that claims to give a 14 day forecast.:upside:

So you're saying the 28-day forecast is useless?

• Haha 9

1 hour ago, redambrosia said:

Lemon lime soda is a magic potion, a gift from the gods to relieve the Queasy. All hail lemon lime soda!

I revise my previous grandfatherly, old man's tale wisdom prediction. I now foresee you carrying a daughter.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

Today was going so well (made yummy bbq chili, put together a cool butterfly costume, went to the church Halloween party with SisterBoot and her family, etc.) , and then it became Second Monday. I really should be more careful about declaring that everything needs MOAR PURPLE because I (hopefully only) sprained my big toe at akido tonight and am now acquiring rather more of that color than I'd prefer. :lol:

The poor senior student whose foot mine ended up under felt so very bad and insists she owes me a root beer. It wasn't really her fault though, I stepped forward with the wrong foot and paid for it. *shrug* 

Now I'm mostly just annoyed that I won't really be able to drive for probably the next few days, since of course it was my right foot. :rolleyes:

Huzzah! 

--OneBoot :D 

• Like 1
  • Sad 12

So far my attempts to harness the strange and heavy vibes brought about by the full moon into painting productivity have been mostly successful. 

I say mostly because my #0 brush is on it's last legs. It's had a good run though and I have a backup at least. 

53 minutes ago, OneBoot said:

Today was going so well (made yummy bbq chili, put together a cool butterfly costume, went to the church Halloween party with SisterBoot and her family, etc.) , and then it became Second Monday. I really should be more careful about declaring that everything needs MOAR PURPLE because I (hopefully only) sprained my big toe at akido tonight and am now acquiring rather more of that color than I'd prefer. :lol:

The poor senior student whose foot mine ended up under felt so very bad and insists she owes me a root beer. It wasn't really her fault though, I stepped forward with the wrong foot and paid for it. *shrug* 

Now I'm mostly just annoyed that I won't really be able to drive for probably the next few days, since of course it was my right foot. :rolleyes:

Huzzah! 

--OneBoot :D 

You know the drill.

Reese's products and tall boy of something tasty.

You folks do realize that if we don't do something about the almost daily injury rates around here OSHA is going to come down on us. 

• Haha 11

7 hours ago, Pingo said:

B) WHY DOES EVERY MICROWAVE WORK DIFFERENTLY FROM EVERY OTHER MICROWAVE?

(Seriously, this one's controls were completely counterintuitive)

I've come to dread the day that I need to buy a new microwave. My mom has one now that apparently doesn't let you punch in a time. If you hit a number button, it just assumes that that's how many minutes you want and starts up right away. I wanted 90 seconds, and as soon as I hit "9" it started running with a 9 minute timer. But there's a timer button on it, and that's what you had to hit first with my grandma's microwave, so I tired that and it let me punch in a time. Except it was literally just a timer. It didn't cook. And I had to wonder who the heck uses a microwave for a timer.

Eventually, I found the "+30 seconds" button, and so I just mashed that 3 times and it finally gave me a cooked corn dog.  I was most displeased with the microwave for the effort that it required.

3 hours ago, redambrosia said:

Try ginger tea. Ginger has a long history in folk medicine for its effects in reducing nausea, and on top of that it's just tasty. Just peel and slice some ginger, pour some boiling water over it, and there you go. Bonus is that you can eat the ginger slices too. So it's double tasty!

• Like 10

2 hours ago, Pegazus said:

I revise my previous grandfatherly, old man's tale wisdom prediction. I now foresee you carrying a daughter.

I am interested to know this Extremely Scientific Method you're using to determine what kind of lizard I'm growing :lol:

2 minutes ago, Unruly said:

Try ginger tea.

I love the ginger peach tea we have at work. It's very yummy and soothes my stomach most times I don't feel well. The only problem is that I can't find it outside of work, and I'm pretty sure they'd be annoyed with me for taking home a big bag of the stuff.

• Like 7

Girls are out!

I'm alone with Brutus and have the day off!

So..PAINTING TIME!!!
image.png.a029a6ee5b52d5d069648041f7c13152.png

• Like 6
  • Haha 8

3 hours ago, Unruly said:

I've come to dread the day that I need to buy a new microwave. My mom has one now that apparently doesn't let you punch in a time. If you hit a number button, it just assumes that that's how many minutes you want and starts up right away. I wanted 90 seconds, and as soon as I hit "9" it started running with a 9 minute timer. But there's a timer button on it, and that's what you had to hit first with my grandma's microwave, so I tired that and it let me punch in a time. Except it was literally just a timer. It didn't cook. And I had to wonder who the heck uses a microwave for a timer.

Eventually, I found the "+30 seconds" button, and so I just mashed that 3 times and it finally gave me a cooked corn dog.  I was most displeased with the microwave for the effort that it required.

If I recall correctly, this machine’s unmarked dials and buttons had one in the middle, not the top or bottom, that was the settings button and it started at max strength and you had to punch it multiple times to get it down to medium or low. Then the timer dial went by the second and then leapt to half minute and then full minute increments. And I am not sure, but I think if you accidentally pressed the door open button instead of the start cooking button, it erased the cooking settings.

We have not had a microwave since roughly 1992, when our Panasonic model caught fire after melting its glass turntable into a cardboard-encased pot pie (no metal or foil was involved).

I have rarely missed the blamed things.

• Confused 5
  • Sad 4

1 hour ago, Pingo said:

If I recall correctly, this machine’s unmarked dials and buttons had one in the middle, not the top or bottom, that was the settings button and it started at max strength and you had to punch it multiple times to get it down to medium or low. Then the timer dial went by the second and then leapt to half minute and then full minute increments. And I am not sure, but I think if you accidentally pressed the door open button instead of the start cooking button, it erased the cooking settings.

We have not had a microwave since roughly 1992, when our Panasonic model caught fire after melting its glass turntable into a cardboard-encased pot pie (no metal or foil was involved).

I have rarely missed the blamed things.

I'm not even sure how it could do that. Now I want to find out how it did that. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, redambrosia said:

I am interested to know this Extremely Scientific Method you're using to determine what kind of lizard I'm growing :lol:

Hmm. I suppose a personal message would be the best way, to fully explain the joke's punch line of a sexual nature (totally double entendre there), due to the current emotional and political climate. Shoot me one if you agree to be exposed to the dangers of naughty thoughts.

Be aware of the possible emotional earthquake this may cause. To give you a taste, a story. My grandparents were at a nephew of theirs wedding, where they nearly managed to get the bride to call for an annulment at the reception. My grandfather and the bride's soon-to-be grandfather-in-law asked the bride if she had been fully informed of the family traditions? The sweet naïve girl, ignorant as to this made up on the spot tradition, took the bait. So the elder statesmen of the family started weaving a tale of "passing the bride around" to the family men in order to get the poor young thing plenty of experience prior to consummating their wedding vows, so as to not disappoint the groom. Bait fully swallowed, the now distraught bride comes to my grandmother, who has been playing bridge all afternoon and so knows nothing of this yarn, and asks my grandmother, the stately and elegant 5th grade teacher and well-known straight shooter (ha!), "Sam, is it true that it's expected of me to be passed around to all the men after this reception?" Without taking concentration away from her cards, my grandmother calmly and softly say, "why yes dear! I thought you knew? I know it horrified me, but if you just relax it won't really take that long" and goes back to playing her hand. Poor girl locked herself in a bathroom and wouldn't come out! They finally had to retrieve my grandmother from the card game and have her convince the woman that it was all a joke, and she wasn't going to be sampled by every man at the party.

So, fully warned of the source type, a sanitized version would be that if the mother-to-be is having an easy, happy pregnancy with little to no morning sickness, then it's male. But have a rough time, with a lot of morning sickness and a generally constant miserable nine months, it will be female. The grandfatherly reasoning punch line is NSFW.

• Haha 12

15 hours ago, kristof65 said:

(it doesn't help that they're both black plastic boxes). 

Maybe make one of them not-black?

The "Connected to:" label is a better idea.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, redambrosia said:

And ginger ale, of course you have to like ginger...

ginger is a pretty potent natural antiemetic, there are stronger ones that the doctor can prescribe, but ginger has no side effects for most people (heartburn is the major one I've heard from my doctor).

• Like 6

On 10/10/2018 at 6:41 PM, Green Eyed Monster said:

Better tool would be Chicken Gun.

If you aren't familiar with these, they are used to fire bird carcasses, usually chickens, because - cheap and easily available, at aircraft windscreens to assess levels of bird-strike resistance.

There's an old technical joke about thawing the chickens before loading them into the gun.

I can see one of these being used to fire pre-cast "ice cubes" of appropriate  "composite material" brought to just below the melting point at the target.  The forces involved in moving the "ice cube" to speed should result in "things" arriving at the target at just about the melting point.

GEM

I'm confused.

What precisely is the difference here?

GEM

Ive got a friend who works in tje aircraft engine field that shoots birds into engines.  The use pheasants.

On 10/10/2018 at 9:50 PM, haldir said:

Last pregens for Death House special run have been made:

Male halfling ranger: Mini based on this one: http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/halfling/latest/02099. I will tell the player the character likes to dual wield since the penalty for 2 weapon in 5e really isn't that bad (2nd attack with no modifier unless they are negative).

Male hobgoblin wizard: Mini - http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/hobgoblin/sku-down/03699

Male (Glasya) Tiefling Rogue: Mini - http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/hellborn/sku-down/60071 He is Lawful evil & his background is a charlatan. He'll be a interesting character for a player to play up.

Male Shadar-Kai (elf) Warlock (Patron :The Undying): Anther one that'll be interesting if played right. Mini - Still looking for this one.

Need to make a couple of minis before the game as well since I never did like what I used when I ran it before. They are: Animated broom & Door mimic. Door mimic will be the new animated door from the Dragon Heist prepaints. Probably cut it off the flying post & then green stuff the mimic parts on. Broom will the harder of the 2. I've got a toothpick with some wire to make it fly but the bristles I'm stuck on.

AL players seem to be looking forward to the event. I can't wait to run it. Last Monday's AL game was great as well. I had a new player show up. 2 existing players made their own characters: human cleric & a half-orc bard. (Current party consist of those 2 + a wood elf druid & human wizard & occasionally a human archer( fighter). This character is ran by the store owner who sits in if needed. He doesn't mind as he gets to learn the 5e ruleset.

Players finally made it out the Cragmaw goblin cave & is in Phandalin, the frontier town they need to travel to. Seems like we get about 2 good hours each week with character creation & late player arrivals. I don't mind really. I would rather see player participation grow right now. 

The Murder house map has potential. I used a couple of their maps when I ran a short 5e game for RCon last year. It was a adventure based off "Hound of Baskerville" I used a keep map & a tomb map from them. It really looked nice printed in full color on black foamcore.

I'm really behind, so this may be too late, but if this is AL official, the Warlock doen't meet the PHB+1 requirement.  If itçs jist for fun, then never mind.

• Like 4