Froggy the Great

Randomness XIV: THE FLOOR IS LAVA!

1 hour ago, Kangaroorex said:

sometimes its cash management.  I often see a plant spending all sorts of maintenance money in small increments to avoid the hassle of asking for an actual capital replacement.  I am sure the car wash is a small business and doesn't have a lot of these issues but it can look awful tempting to spend $300 a month in repairs rather than having to get a loan with a $200 a month payment.  As a species we have a tendency to look for the option that will result in the least work today, rather than the one that will result in the least work overall.

I wonder if you've made this observation as well:
It appears to me that the people who can fix something generally reach the point of "this isn't worth repairing anymore" sooner than the people who just pay others to fix things do. 

• Like 6

Just found out that one of my friends is in ICU and not in good shape. We are going to visit him in a little bit.

• Sad 17

Just now, Flit said:

Just found out that one of my friends is in ICU and not in good shape. We are going to visit him in a little bit.

Here is hoping all will turn out fine.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, kristof65 said:

I wonder if you've made this observation as well:
It appears to me that the people who can fix something generally reach the point of "this isn't worth repairing anymore" sooner than the people who just pay others to fix things do. 

I've seen that lots with farm equipment especially when you have an owner/manager that isn't using it. They think it's all the worker's fault and that they're just wasting time and money. I've also so a few change their minds about how bad the workers were when they actually tried to do the job themselves. Usually after they had already offended or fired the worker. Almost everybody around here is skirting the edge of bankruptcy so you get a lot of thinking about whether to fix or upgrade. Recently I've been doing more of the upgrading. That's expensive but getting the work done usually pays better than spending all your time fixing.

• Like 10

11 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:

Here is hoping all will turn out fine.

Thanks, unfortunely  his condition is not one that turns out fine.

• Sad 14

1 minute ago, Flit said:

Thanks, unfortunely  his condition is not one that turns out fine.

That's sad to hear.

Good that you will be there for him.

• Like 2

@Pezler the Polychromatic I'm sorry for your loss seems not enough but that's all I can think to say at the moment. 

Today is November 1st! It marks the beginning of Minivember: The Last. I don't know if I'll be able to paint today and I know I won't be able to paint until Sunday or Monday because we're going to Las Vegas for the weekend. So I'll have to play some catch up. Thankfully the first few things I have to paint are planned out and come with painting guides if I get stuck. This should make things go faster. 

This is the last Minivember I'm going to be doing because it has been brought to my attention that November is now International Mini Painting Month (at least on Facebook) and I kind of want to do my own thing that others may join in instead of jumping on a bandwagon. So next year I'm going to be doing All Mini's Eve. This will be done in October instead of November. Less distractions and less stress if I don't get things done o*n time and I don't have to fight with Thanksgiving which in the last 2 years has been a struggle. So revamping the whole thing, kind of, and will be doing a new thing next year. I need to finish making my calendar but I'm waiting on doodles from Sibling before I can do anything further. 

Speaking of Vegas, we've yet to pack and run essential errands. That will be most of today. Painting tonight if it doesn't get too late.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

So I’m working out how to build a 28mm scale model London hotel (well, just the front bits) for scenery. The one I’m basing it on was built some time during the reign of Charles I and was demolished in the 1830s to make way for Trafalgar Square. There are some nice drawings and engravings of it to work from.

Anyhow, among its details are two Gothic-style buttresses which end in those pointy Gothic tops like giant pencils with a few horizontal rows of little knobs on.

I’m not bothering about the knobs right now. I was just wondering how to do the basic shapes. In the scale I’m using they’d need to be close to one-centimeter-diameter cylinders about 30 cm long with long, tapered cone-shaped tops. I had all sorts of thoughts about dowels, pencil sharpeners, finally learning woodwork, etc.

While I was thinking I passed a store display of bamboo knitting needles.

One-centimeter diameter bamboo knitting needles, in lengths up to 35 cm, with elegantly tapered cone-shaped ends.

:blink:

Score!

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Last night, had this conversation with my wife. She’s a big mousing and Dark Sword fan. Those of you who met her at ReaperCon know she’s not a native speaker, so I have to explain English words some times:

Her: I was looking at that Kickstarter link you sent me, and I think I have enough bunnies and mouses to paint.

Me: *Instant image slide show of “Heresy” memes flash across my inner screen* followed by a hearty laugh.

M: Okay, I must explain why that’s just made me laugh.

*Explanation of The Emperor, what heresy means, and the opponents love of chaos followed by an explanation of the heresy memes*

H: Chaos! They said that at work today! What does that mean?!

M: Oh, uh... there is order and there is chaos. They are opposites. Order would be having DVD cases all stacked in alphabetical order, while chaos would be random. No, I take that back. A random placement is still order, such as a random order. Chaos would be more like taking the cases to the bookshelf and just throwing them at it.

H: I got it! I understand! Like our daughter’s bedroom!

Man do I love a good explanation!

• Like 5
  • Haha 15

10 hours ago, TGP said:

Animated? Live Action?

I'm assuming that the project with Hensen will involve animation/puppetry.

For the others, I don't have any additional details available.

GEM

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Froggy the Great said:

I hate Microsoft Edge with the burning passion of a thousand passionate things that are on fire.

LIKED!  LIKED!! LIKED!!! LIKED!!! LIKED!!!! LIKED!!!!! LIKED!!!!!! LIKED!!!!!!! LIKED!!!!!!!! LIKED!!!!!!!!! LIKED!!!!!!!!!!

LIKED!  LIKED!! LIKED!!! LIKED!!! LIKED!!!! LIKED!!!!! LIKED!!!!!! LIKED!!!!!!! LIKED!!!!!!!! LIKED!!!!!!!!! LIKED!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 9