Froggy the Great

Randomness XIV: THE FLOOR IS LAVA!

2 hours ago, Chaoswolf said:

What's worse than Monday?

Monday after DST.

Monday after DST and no work truck to get you to work.  I should probably poke my ride to make sure he remembers he was giving me a ride... 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Chaoswolf said:

What's worse than Monday?

Monday after DST.

Hubby was actually really happy when I told him he could rest another hour on Sunday morning. But, after working that 12 hour shift he was pretty sore. Especially since he'd been sitting around on his tushy while unemployed. 

It's okay, he needed a little vacation.

• Like 11

I'm starting to think that my dog may have some dragon ancestor. Here she is sitting on her hoard of blankets.

All your blankets are belong to Widget.

Blanket Horder Crop.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Haha 12

15 minutes ago, Flit said:

I'm starting to think that my dog may have some dragon ancestor. Here she is sitting on her hoard of blankets.

All your blankets are belong to Widget.

Blanket Horder Crop.jpeg

I think we have that same blanket, and my at does the same thing with it. 

• Like 6

That is actually a blanket, a throw, and a robe at the bottom of the pile. She also likes to burrow under the blankets. She is all about the comfy blankets.

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, LittleBluberry said:

I often keep an emergency lasagna in my freezer, right now I've got chicken tiki masala.  

We decided that after watching people bake chocolate soufflé on TV we should try it.  Really not sure how it's going to turn out, but hopefully yummy.  More impressive will be if I nail the timing.

11 hours ago, redambrosia said:

At the very least, you'll have chocolate pudding stuff.

To both of these:  first congratulations on your puff pastry may it be light and floaty.  But if you get one that begins to fall, slamming the oven door 3 or 4 times creates one of the most wonderful dense confections out there.

On the savory side, the decision between pop over and Yorkshire pudding is always a hard one as the puff begins to rise...

9 hours ago, WhiteWulfe said:

We do have a Hario Mini, it's just...  Consistency of grind on that one isn't all that great.  That and it's being compared to a Baratza Encore, which can chew through enough beans for two mugs worth of coffee (16 Oz each) in about... Ten seconds.  Versus, uhm, a while with the Hario Mini.  A coworker has a Porlex, and rather likes it.  I'll look into the JavaPresse, but wow, they're not what I'd call cheap on Amazon, that's for sure...  Well, Amazon Canada anyways, where they're... Yeah, pricy.  We'll go with that.

Hmmmm... they are $23 each in the US with free same day shipping from Amazon. And weirdly enough almost $80 in Canada.  Apparently crossing the border doubles the price?

However, if you search for Henry James coffee grinder, you will find the same unit for half the price!  I can attest from one of my buddies that, to all detectable criteria, it's the same grinder, just a different name on the label.  At least his was....

Good luck.

• Like 6

13 hours ago, Pingo said:

That would be Reaper's Fatima, Nefsokar Cleric, whose front view is decidedly NSFW. I am painting her up as a blue-glazed ushabti because I thought it would look more interesting in contrast with her linen wrappings. When I got her her ankh was broken off, so I rotated it backwards so it looks innocuous from the front view but screaming skull from the back.

I presume she has a linen bandage as a thong somewhere in there. :unsure:.

I have the mini - I painted her up as wearing a gilt ceremonial breastplate, because rounded orbs of fatty tissue do not make sense on a mummy.

Not that the Egyptians had any nudity taboos. (Or the Greeks, for that matter.)

In my Tomb Kings/Empire of Dust army, she is The Beautiful One, consort of The Sun Himself (self chosen title) and mother of Glory of the Sun (who changed his name when he became Pharaoh).

In place of the typical undead scorpion I painted up one of the Reaper giant scarabs - pushing a golden orb with its hind legs.

Now, if I could make a Swarm of mummified cats, sans their BONK enclosures.

The Auld Grump

• Like 11
  • Haha 2

A small victory today. 

18 months ago:
Customer: "I'm paying too much for my credit card processing. How can I bring the fees down?"
Me: "Upgrade your obsolete hardware/software to bring you in line with current rules and processes."
Customer: "How much does that cost?" 

Me: "$X"

Customer: "That's too much!"

Today:

Customer: "I've spent $Y on credit card processing in the last year. How can I bring the fees down?"
Me (mentally noting that $Y is greater than $X):  "Upgrade your obsolete hardware/software to bring you in line with current rules and processes."
Customer: "How much does that cost?" 

Me: "$X"

Customer: "That's too much!"

Me: "It's less than $Y"
(a moment of silence follows)
Customer:  "OK, I'll call my distributor and order the upgrades."

ETA: OK, TBH, had she upgraded, her actual processing fees would have been about half of $Y, and $X is about 2/3rds of $Y, so paying for the upgrade last year wouldn't have really saved her ALL of the money she spent on fees this year. But she would have been close to paying it off. 

Edited by kristof65
  • Like 8

43 minutes ago, kristof65 said:

ETA: OK, TBH, had she upgraded, her actual processing fees would have been about half of $Y, and $X is about 2/3rds of $Y, so paying for the upgrade last year wouldn't have really saved her ALL of the money she spent on fees this year. But she would have been close to paying it off. 

Careful, if you start presenting advanced concepts the next thing you know you’ll be explaining goblin math... 

...that never ends well. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 12

21 hours ago, WhiteWulfe said:

You guys are getting rid of daylight savings time...  My work is getting rid of free staff coffee...  As in starting January, I won't be getting a case and a half of kcups (in 24 count packs) of my choosing for free.  Boo.  On the flipside though, I'll apparently see discounted prices on EVERYTHING our company carries, so there is that...

Depending on how pricing works out (they'll tell us "soon") this might mean my old routine of "wrap the coffee grinder in the thickest hoodie we have so I don't wake up my neighbours at 5am" might be coming back...  As well as me ordering coffee from Rosso, Pilot, and Outpost Coffee Roasters.  Oh, and maybe Detour too, they usually have some insanely tasty Costa Rica origin coffees...  I'm kind of failing to see where this is a bad thing in the end, although it does kinda suck I'll have to actually pay for the Kcups in my house again

Make a point about it.  Take the loud coffee grinder to work.  And a 4 Cup coffee maker (or one of the Melitta cup top pour over coffee makers).  Every time you need more coffee, grind the beans.  Because... that's how you do it at home!  If anyone visits, just hide the Keurig in the pantry or something.  Smile and Grind!

• Like 6

& $220 bucks less, we have heat again.....::(:::):

If the igniter in our furnace is gonna die at least it died at the end of October, beginning of Nov then say Dec to Jan or so. It died on Saturday morning, but we wait till Monday to get it looked at/repaired due to when we called it would have been just 160 bucks just to come & look at it. $55 is hell of lot better price for a couple days of somewhat cold house.

• Like 9
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, haldir said:

& $220 bucks less, we have heat again.....::(:::):

If the igniter in our furnace is gonna die at least it died at the end of October, beginning of Nov then say Dec to Jan or so. It died on Saturday morning, but we wait till Monday to get it looked at/repaired due to when we called it would have been just 160 bucks just to come & look at it. $55 is hell of lot better price for a couple days of somewhat cold house.

I had a couple of those situations... Not fun. Glad yours was easily solved!

COFFEE!!

So glad I've got next Monday off... Gonna try to finish off my Undead of a October project if I haven't gotten it done by then already.

• Like 5