Froggy the Great

Randomness XIV: THE FLOOR IS LAVA!

2 hours ago, Mad Jack said:

I used to think that I wanted Monday to die in a fire...

Now I actually want it to live, but be so horribly disfigured so that it's ashamed to show its face...

Boxmaker at work was seriously pissing me off today...

A single bale of 20-inch wide fanfold cardboard produces two boxes side-by-side with about an inch of scrap on the side. (B = box, F = flap, blue is scrap)

BOX.jpg.613e7c5fe244469f37e555359c575fee.jpg

When we put our previous bale on there, we discovered that for some reason the left-most flap wasn't as wide as the other three...

Then we realized that we'd changed the size of the bale (we'd had a 26-inch wide bale on there before), so we ended up having to input the new width on the machine. After doing that and resetting the machine, the problem pretty much away.

Today we finished off the last of that bale and loaded 20-inch bales onto both sides of the machine, so we wouldn't have to stop to reload again for a long time. Once again, we noticed that the left-most flap was not the same size as the other three - about a sixteenth of an inch short. This happened on both bales - i.e., both sides of the machine.

Even though we can load two bales into the machine, one on each side, there's only one set of cutters and creasers so you can only run one side at a time, and the transverse cutter has to pick up each of the six cutter/creaser heads one at a time and move them over to the other side in order to switch sides.

We tried for half an hour, everything we could think of, to get it to fix itself - pulled out the cardboard and reloaded it, input different widths into the machine,  reset it, switched sides, etc. We dug around deep in the advanced settings side of the program that we're not supposed to be touching, to see if there was a parameter we could fiddle with. Nothing.

It's like someone took the programmed cuts and creases for the box and shifted the whole elfing thing a sixteenth of an inch to the left so that the left-hand  "edge" of the left box is out past where the left edge of the cardboard is.

In the end, we just decided that it didn't make enough of a noticeable difference to affect the quality of the boxes, and just said screw it and ran them that way.

This is only the second style of box we've made (the previous one was larger so we ran it on the 26-inch wide board), so we have no idea if this is going to be a continuous problem with the 20-inch board or not.

Sometime soon, we're going to have to call the machine's tech support and ask them a few things. We don't know where to find a copy of the manual for the program on the disc that came with the machine, so we're pretty much relying on just the two days of training that we got when we started and what we can figure out ourselves. There's got to be simpler ways of doing things and better solutions to our problems than what we're currently doing, but until we can find the software manual and actually study the damn thing, we're just making it all up as we go along.  :rolleyes:

Is the difference the width of the cut between the boxes? In other words, the width of the blade?

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Mad Jack said:

we're just making it all up as we go along.  :rolleyes:

This is pretty much everybody, every day, for everything.  It's just that no one ever wants to admit it. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Hugs to @Darsc Zacal and @Pingo.  I'm still fighting head cold/sinus infection stuff, so today I got a few smaller things done, dosed up on Sudafed and read "Crocodile on the Sandbank".  Which is a Victorian era romance mystery from an author I've read other stuff from before.  I'm calling it a self-care day.  

I also bought yarn.  My maternal grandmother, being an awesome person, used to knit socks for my Dad as gifts.  (She passed away several years ago now.)  Having just learned how to knit socks, and lacking many better ideas for Christmas gifts for an 80-something-year-old man, I decided that I should knit him some appropriately manly socks.  If anyone's into knitting, it's the  "Moody stockings" pattern on Ravelry.  In grey, because he wears a lot of grey dress socks.  

• Like 16

So, I've got this co-worker, I think I've woofed about him before, but he's my relief and he's late most of the time. Well, yesterday, as he's walking up the stairs, a guest is asking me to fix the reader board (it's a computer and it constant dumps it's schedules at night). I told her Sean could do that for her because A) he knew how and B) I wanted to go home. Because he was late, as usual. 

So, he starts telling me that he can show me how to do it (I've been shown once before, but it was a long time ago and I really don't care). I told him no, because my feet hurt, my back hurts, and my belly hurts, and if he wants to show me stuff he should show up before my shift is over. After 7am I literally do not care. 

And he was all offended! Flippin idiot. <_<

• Like 13
  • Sad 1

Last few weeks the 1 year old has had a cold then an ear infection. She was just getting to feel better the last couple of days. Tonight she's vomiting and has diarrhea. Poor thing. And why does it always have to happen late at night? She finally fell asleep but it's 3:30 am and now I can't sleep. Had plans to get some work done today. The weather's crappy, winter seems to be here but the cows are fed so worst comes to worst I can sleep in the daytime. Hopefully.

• Sad 11

49 minutes ago, Zink said:

Last few weeks the 1 year old has had a cold then an ear infection. She was just getting to feel better the last couple of days. Tonight she's vomiting and has diarrhea. Poor thing. And why does it always have to happen late at night? She finally fell asleep but it's 3:30 am and now I can't sleep. Had plans to get some work done today. The weather's crappy, winter seems to be here but the cows are fed so worst comes to worst I can sleep in the daytime. Hopefully.

Little duct tape, some plywood, rope, and blankets, and you could build a little sleeping platform on one of the cows. Make sure they're okay, you see.

Eh. I'm going back to bed. Mid-night puppy pee break is over.

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

I managed to paint yesterday evening, somehow I had some energy left.

Worked on the Lost World.

Almost lunch.

image.png.4343822670bf0ec29f4df8d9f9c6fe24.png

• Like 12

Team meeting at work today. I'm looking forward to it---free lunch is involved.

• Like 13

42 minutes ago, Chaoswolf said:

Team meeting at work today. I'm looking forward to it---free lunch is involved.

Free food is a good thing!

Just pretend to listen while eating..

• Haha 5

I certainly hope this isn't considered beekeepers territory, given that I'm not getting into the specifics, but I will say it anyway.

If you are a citizen of the United States of America, please go vote today.

I don't care who you vote for. You can vote for Mike Mouse, Emperor Palpatine, yourself, or even just cover your eyes and pick names at random. But go vote. You need to do it once every two years, and I know a lot of employers and even some voting locations don't make it easy, but it's a very important thing. It affects not only yourself, but everyone in the country. And in a lot of cases, it affects the whole world. So please, go vote. Skip a TV show, put a game on hold, put down your paintbrush, and take the time to cast a ballot.

Now, for something slightly less serious, but still pertaining to my previous statements, here's a picture of me with a sticker on my forehead as I continue the tradition I started in 2012. Because today is the only day I get the adult equivalent of a gold star sticker, and if I want to act like a kid and put it on my forehead, I will. Besides, I think it helps hide my receding hairline because it makes my forehead look smaller.

20181106_080256.thumb.jpg.4eafaed7c70120703e8a8adde0e2f38d.jpg

• Like 17
  • Haha 4

Yesterday I noticed that the Fat Little Birds were yelling at something from the highest point in the nearby bushes and went to the window to investigate. There was a small gray cat with white legs nibbling on the seeds. So I grabbed a bit of tuna and went outside to lure the kitty away from the feeder and she ran off into the back yard as soon as the door opened. I left the tuna a fair distance away from the feeder and when I checked on it a short while later it was gone as if it had never existed. 

I've seen the cat around the neighborhood for awhile I think she belongs to one of the neighbors, but I did not expect her to be one of the regulars of the Front Porch Feeding Crew.(20 or so Sparrows, 2 Cardinals, 2 Squirrels, 1 Chipmunk, 1 small Rabbit, and the occasional Mouse) So I'm going to have to keep a closer eye to ensure she isn't attacking the Fat Little Birds, or eating all of their food. 

• Like 9

The problem with voting by mail, like in Washington, is that I don't get a sticker. ::(:

• Like 5
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 3

We have a bit of friend drama going on around here.  I'm not completely sure what's going on since no one directly involved is talking to me about it (but at least one person is talking to my wife, and she's in tears over this).  All I really can do is try to comfort her.  Sigh.

It sounds like my Exalted 3E campaign is going to be a casualty of this mess.  I was hoping we'd finish this campaign.  We haven't actually finished a campaign yet.  I guess I should start trying to plan the next one, since I seem to be stuck as the group's GM.  Maybe this is a good time to start looking at D&D 5E.

• Sad 15

Coffee! And voting! And peanut butter cookies, cause there was a bake sale!

Now work. Bah.

But painting tonight!!

• Like 8

36 minutes ago, redambrosia said:

The problem with voting by mail, like in Washington, is that I don't get a sticker. ::(:

In CO, or at least in the county I lived in in CO, they used to send the sticker along with the ballot. 

• Like 9