Froggy the Great

Randomness XIV: THE FLOOR IS LAVA!

4 hours ago, Crowley said:

Okay, could use some ideas...

The recently released Mummy Lord of Stonehell megadungeon was seen performing a ritual in a large chamber known to contain a portal to the fairy realm.

The fae have not been major players, only showing up twice in 83 sessions. 

What was he up to?

He was trying to renew or restoring the binding wards on the Portal. There has been this Ward of Sealing on the portal for 83 weeks and that is why there have been so few Fae...

...perhaps the ritual indicates that a large party/warband of angry Fae recently broke through! ...and they are now loose somewhere in the megadungeon. 

E2A: This sub-chapter needs a title...

The Unbinding of the Fae 

Edited by TGP
let the Fae be unbound! Unleash the Wogs of Dar...
  • Like 8

how's this for random?  There are 1915 figures in the Dark Heaven Legends line (according to the catalog header anyway image.png.4c17d73037e6a11685e98429ee08dad9.png) starting at 02001 and ranging through 03921.  Strangely, that gives me 1920 figures, so I'm sure there are a few misses in the sequencing..

Anyway, where was I??

Oh yeah, in the spirit of randomness, how about a diorama utilizing 2d4 completely random DHL figures?

Those 2-8 figures are then determined randomly, by rolling 1d20-1 + d100, if the roll is a 20 (19 adjusted), then reroll any d100 result over 21.. Then add 2000 to the roll to find your figure..

For example, 15 and a 34 would give me figure number 1534 ( or 2000+1534 = 3534 Sirithis, Succubus Warrior ), while a 1 and a 01 would give me Figure number 02001 ( 2000 + 0001 = 02001 Reaper Famine ) and 20/21 would result in figure 3921 (  2000+1921 = 03921 Fell Spirit )

EDIT:  On second thought, that would be terrible.. Munging things into a spreadsheet with randomization gave me this:

image.png.c5a4cc7046d8e70e4effc3334d21b289.png

Icubus, Satyr, Harley Brimstone and 3 leprechauns.. I would have zero idea how to make a coherent scene with that..

Edited by eldamir
  • Like 2
  • Haha 11

2 hours ago, Clearman said:

What was the Mummy Lord when not undead, or before he became a mummy.  Is he a mummy by choice.  Is there fey magic that could restore him to his old fleshy self.

Also, not all fey are good.  I like the idea of him contacting his side-chick Titania, but maybe for some more nefarious reason.

He was a cleric to an evil sun god before becoming a Mummy. He embraced undeath happily enough. 

Releasing a bunch of fey wild magic, or summoning Titania both seem likely... And most definitely for nefarious reasons!

It's turning into one of those afternoons... Thank goodness for D&D tonight! And access to 5th level spells! Now I just need to pick 2 at add to my spellbook. Decisions decisions...

• Like 10

32 minutes ago, Crowley said:

He was a cleric to an evil sun god before becoming a Mummy. He embraced undeath happily enough. 

Releasing a bunch of fey wild magic, or summoning Titania both seem likely... And most definitely for nefarious reasons!

It's turning into one of those afternoons... Thank goodness for D&D tonight! And access to 5th level spells! Now I just need to pick 2 at add to my spellbook. Decisions decisions...

And then the party is surprised to find him in a deck chair, sipping mimosas.

'What?! I'm on vacation!'

The Auld Grump - or a fruity drink with an umbrella in.

*EDIT* Neat! The December maps from the Heroic Maps Patreon include a desert oasis - and considering that I am running a desert campaign for the kids right now.... ::):

Edited by TheAuldGrump
  • Like 6
  • Haha 4

30 minutes ago, Crowley said:

Does death exist in the fey realm?  While he may have taken to undeath, maybe he wants to use fey magic to return to life, possibly more powerful than he was before.  Or, worse, use fey magic to be more-or-less alive and more-or-less immortal.  "Death-Conquering Pharaoh" would be a nifty title if he is bent on world domination.

Or maybe he's lonely.

• Like 8

The easiest (serious) answer to the mummy question is that Faerie is a shortcut to someplace else, or, perhaps, there is another evil sun god that hangs out in Faerie. (Balor (or Baal) of the Single Burning Eye comes to mind.)

The Auld Grump - Baltimore is named after a temple of Baal.... The party would never expect to end up in Maryland!

• Like 10
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, aku-chan said:

Well that has to be a record, saw a house that already has its Christmas decorations up this morning.

You mean you don't have any of those houses in your area where the Christmas Lights are a permanent fixture?

GEM

• Like 2

20 hours ago, sumbloke said:

There's no such thing as a free lunch...

Sure there is. I ate, didn't have to pay for it, therefore: free.

It was more of a team building thing, anyways.

19 hours ago, TGP said:

Oh Goodness. 

That reminds me of a certain PowerPoint presentation. It was a full hour. There was no food/drink. I suppose you could say it was relevant....the Bossling giving the presentation had spent weeks preparing a PowerPoint that showed where all 200-ish people under his purview fitted in. In Boxes. Flowchart Boxes. Page after identical page (there was an official, approved, mandatory template in PP) filled with many-many-little Boxen. With names of lesser bosses and their underling under-bosses inside each box. 

On page 47 was where my box was. 

My name appeared nowhere. Nor the name of my lead. But on page 47 there was one little box with the name of the underboss we reported to. Lots of boxes, lots of connecting lines, many more pages, lots of droning...

...no food, much droning. <_<

That is what we used to call 'Death by PowerPoint' in the Navy.

• Like 7

29 minutes ago, TGP said:

Not Lord Baltimore ? @TheAuldGrump

You have it a tad reversed - the Lord of Baltimore takes the title from the location - and the location was named from the Temple of Baalashamin in Palmyra. ::):(Lord Baltimore's actual name was Calvert.)

Baal, Ba'al, and Bel are names given to the god - and Balor may, or may not, have also derived his name from Bel.

Balor was the tyrant of the Fomorians in Irish Celtic myth, and was associated with the sun, drought, and death.

The Auld Grump - not balrogs, as D&D might have you believe.

• Like 7

7 hours ago, Crowley said:

Okay, could use some ideas...

The recently released Mummy Lord of Stonehell megadungeon was seen performing a ritual in a large chamber known to contain a portal to the fairy realm.

The fae have not been major players, only showing up twice in 83 sessions. 

What was he up to?

When the mummy was performing the ritual, was it swiping left or right?

As for the reasons, the mummy doesn't have to contact the fae at all for them to serve his schemes. Merely bringing them over to this side to serve as a distraction can be enough.

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

7 hours ago, TheAuldGrump said:

Tonight's kids game is going to be interesting - faking my way to the fourth adventure in Legacy of Fire.

And have reached the point where I need some efreets....

The Auld Grump - going to prepare for the game by listening to Tunak Tunak Tun.... And probably share it with the kids, for its wonderful, and appropriate, strangeness.

You should rename one of the efreet "Daler Mehndi" too. Have him be a playful, but capricious, efreet who will just as soon dance with you as he will hurl giant balls of flame at your face.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

You mean you don't have any of those houses in your area where the Christmas Lights are a permanent fixture?

GEM

I will admit that mine usually are. But I only have them on from the start of Advent until Epiphany...

I say usually because I took them down a couple of months ago for some painting to be done. Won't put them back up until 2 December..

• Like 5

1 minute ago, sumbloke said:

I will admit that mine usually are. But I only have them on from the start of Advent until Epiphany...

I say usually because I took them down a couple of months ago for some painting to be done. Won't put them back up until 2 December..

Yes but are yours the ones draped over a few [too few] nails and sadly drooping all over the place, or are they the lights tightly and neatly secured to the structure with a sufficient amount of retaining clips to make for a neat, tidy, and workmanlike installation?

GEM

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Crowley said:

The power of the Evil Sun twists lesser fae into horrible half-fae, half-undead abominations!

Hilarity ensues.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1