Jump to content

Froggy the Great

Randomness XIV: THE FLOOR IS LAVA!

Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, SparrowMarie said:

 

I'm now trying to destress and watching forged in fire. It's a Halloween episode. Pretty great.

 

Cool Story Bro time - I'm a tangential acquaintance of a couple people who have been on that show. Not personally friends, but I've talked to at least one of them once at an SCA event due to knowing other people who know them. I couldn't even tell you which one of them it was, but I've been told by multiple people that I've met him.

 

Like I said, it's a total CSB.

 

Tonight at work I wrote more tickets on a midnight shift than I've written on an afternoon shift in a month or more. It was weird. In the first hour that I was at work, I had almost as many tickets as I would get on a normal weekday midnight shift. I also got called an a-hole for pointing out that I didn't write as many tickets on a person's car as I could have when she said that the tickets she did get were "excessive." They were "excessive" because she "was told by a friend that it was free after 5" and didn't actually bother to read the meter(which says pay meter 24 hours in big, bold letters) or confirm it herself, and so she got 3 tickets over the span of 6 hours. I could have written her 6, one every hour. So she's "going to go in to the office tomorrow to fight these and get all of them taken away because it's not my fault I got them."

 

I wish her luck in that endeavor, and I hope that when our office schedules her a court date for them she actually shows up. It'll be worth a laugh. Especially since she's throwing that kind of fit over a whopping $15 total. I understand that it adds up over time, but it's one of those situations where you should just be an adult, take your lump, and learn from it. I'd hate to see how she reacts to a ticket she gets just about anywhere else where it's like $20+ per ticket.

 

Started trying to redo my campaign groundwork again. Maybe I'll get lucky and not lose focus this time. And maybe I'll do better about copying it all from my notebook to Google Drive this time, so I don't have to start over again when I inevitably lose this notebook too.

 

Oh, and what the heck happened to cheap notebooks?

  • Like 13

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It occurred to me that this song:

 

https://youtu.be/IIOubNRSp2c

 

(Diamonds by Janet Jackson & Herb Albert)

 

would make a great theme song for a serial killer who turned her lovers into diamonds and wore them as a necklace.

  • Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, TGP said:

 

How are you doing Pezler? Hope the funeral wasn’t too rough. 

Mostly tired, yesterday was a long day. Supported my friend's widow as best as I could through it all, though she's shown a strength that not people have expected. In the evening several of us got together to talk stories about him, and it seemed to help. Now it's time for work, and I'm glad I'll have a three-day weekend coming up.

  • Like 16

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just realized last night that if my old 3d software has passed into the great buffer beyond, the files that I created may be lost for all time. I still have the stl files, but I just can't go in and fix issues that I know need fixed. No converter may exist for what an odd offshoot they were. I may still have the dimensional sketches for them, but that means building from scratch in the new software.

  • Like 1
  • Sad 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Pegazus said:

Just realized last night that if my old 3d software has passed into the great buffer beyond, the files that I created may be lost for all time. I still have the stl files, but I just can't go in and fix issues that I know need fixed. No converter may exist for what an odd offshoot they were. I may still have the dimensional sketches for them, but that means building from scratch in the new software.

 

No software ever truly dies. You just have to know where to look for it...

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, redambrosia said:

It occurred to me that this song:

 

https://youtu.be/IIOubNRSp2c

 

(Diamonds by Janet Jackson & Herb Albert)

 

would make a great theme song for a serial killer who turned her lovers into diamonds and wore them as a necklace.

Do you mind if I steal this idea for a future RP campaign?

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Every time I walk away, someone takes the seat by the fire. I'm about ready to smack someone <_<

 

 

1 minute ago, Xiwo Xerase said:

Do you mind if I steal this idea for a future RP campaign?

Go ahead ^_^ 

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Pegazus said:

Just realized last night that if my old 3d software has passed into the great buffer beyond, the files that I created may be lost for all time. I still have the stl files, but I just can't go in and fix issues that I know need fixed. No converter may exist for what an odd offshoot they were. I may still have the dimensional sketches for them, but that means building from scratch in the new software.

MeshMixer would be your friend here, though I cannot remember how much it costs. Maker'sMuse has a series about using it to fix unprintable STL files on YouTube (bonus points that he's Australian, so cool accent). If you have to change parameters and locations for holes and the like; Fusion360 is free for hobbyists (till you make $100,000/year or more) and is usually perfectly fine importing STL files from other software and allowing you to convert them to its file system to make changes.  I haven't tested very many  files personally so I can't vouch for every CAD's format, if nothing else you can import the STL as an STL and use it as a tracing pattern to recreate the object (3D printing nerd has a video about doing just that).

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

Mostly tired, yesterday was a long day. Supported my friend's widow as best as I could through it all, though she's shown a strength that not people have expected. In the evening several of us got together to talk stories about him, and it seemed to help. Now it's time for work, and I'm glad I'll have a three-day weekend coming up.

 

Keep an eye on her, you know how it works.

After a while it will all sink in, and then the hurt comes down hard.

At first one has to go through all the arrangements and things that need to be done, but then when all is quiet, she will need your support.

  • Like 9
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Unruly said:

 

No software ever truly dies. You just have to know where to look for it...

 

True, but in this case the software is a zombie. The download still exists, you can start the program, but it has to connect to the company’s free license server, which may have passed beyond. And since PTC is such an elf, I wouldn’t be surprised if the files are in an unconvertible format, unless I buy Creo.

 

51 minutes ago, FaekiasDracon said:

MeshMixer would be your friend here, though I cannot remember how much it costs. Maker'sMuse has a series about using it to fix unprintable STL files on YouTube (bonus points that he's Australian, so cool accent). If you have to change parameters and locations for holes and the like; Fusion360 is free for hobbyists (till you make $100,000/year or more) and is usually perfectly fine importing STL files from other software and allowing you to convert them to its file system to make changes.  I haven't tested very many  files personally so I can't vouch for every CAD's format, if nothing else you can import the STL as an STL and use it as a tracing pattern to recreate the object (3D printing nerd has a video about doing just that).

 

Oh, the files are still printable, they just have larger gaps than what I am capable of printing. Wasn’t sure at the time, so went wide. May have to look into Fusion360 then, but if there’s any license involved (see above). Right now, I’m pretty happy with FreeCAD, as no server and it’s parametric. I’m a CATIA V5 and Creo driver in real life, so it’s very much like what I’m accustomed to using. Haven’t had time to see how well it imports STL. And MM is on my YouTube subscriptions. His gap tool is what I used to find my printer’s capability.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Unruly said:

 

I wish her luck in that endeavor, and I hope that when our office schedules her a court date for them she actually shows up. It'll be worth a laugh. Especially since she's throwing that kind of fit over a whopping $15 total. I understand that it adds up over time, but it's one of those situations where you should just be an adult, take your lump, and learn from it. I'd hate to see how she reacts to a ticket she gets just about anywhere else where it's like $20+ per ticket.

 

 

Seriously. Overtime parking tickets near where I live are closer to $25.

 

...or so I've heard... 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, klarg1 said:

 

Seriously. Overtime parking tickets near where I live are closer to $25.

 

...or so I've heard... 

 

Yea, we're $5 once per hour(maximum). Go to Pittsburgh(an hour and a half away) and I've been told they're $20. Go to parts of New York or New Jersey(a lot of our college student are from those states) and they're $40+. I had a couple from Seattle tell me that depending on where in town you were the tickets could start at $35. A guy from Baltimore started to yell at me about a ticket until I said "dude, it's $5" and his attitude totally changed because it was less than half of what he expected it to be. Our tickets aren't priced to kill. As our old director said, "our goal isn't money, it's compliance." Just follow the rules and you don't have anything to worry about. And the rules are simple, with a lot of them being required knowledge to pass your driver's license test...

Edited by Unruly
  • Like 11

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, TGP said:

:ik_oops:

If I read it on the internet it’s true, yes...?

:rock:

  Hide contents

 

 

Again, you need to dig a bit deeper - Irish has many uses for the same and similar words - much like English.

 

In particular Bel takes one of his his names, in part, from the root old Gaelic word for Lord. (Bel was also the 'Lord of the Big House' - Big House was also a word used for temples....) *EDIT* And lodge houses, fortresses, and sometimes megaliths... they got some mileage out of that word.

 

And I do believe that I named Calvert, yes? :rolleyes: There was a reason for that. You left that little detail out, first time around.

 

Again - Baltimore is a place, and had been before the first Lord Baltimore was given the title. Maryland's Baltimore took its name from the titled lord that took his title from a different place. (And why I refer to Lord Baltimore as a title, not as a name. His name was Calvert.) So he was Lord Lord of the Big House. (Welcome to the Agency of the Department of Redundancy Bureau.)

 

We are talking about a minimum of three language shifts, with little understanding of the roots in the second shift.

 

Then add a discarded mythology that borrowed from other mythologies that have also been discarded.

 

One of the wonders of Irish Celtic mythology is how often Ireland is invaded by competing mythologies, and that those invasions were made part of the mytholgy - so the Fomorians (sea raiders) invaded, the Tuatha de Danann (folk of the hill, children of Danu) invaded, and the Milesians (modern Irish) invaded - and each in turn added to the mythology.

 

Then have several concerted efforts to destroy that mythology and culture.

 

The Auld Grump *EDIT* By the time of the First Lord Baltimore, why Baltimore had been named that had been long forgotten. It no longer mattered.

Edited by TheAuldGrump
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This cart I'm contemplating feels kinda weird for me, but man, Nienna has a rather lovely and dynamic sculpt... 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×