Froggy the Great

Randomness XIV: THE FLOOR IS LAVA!

I'm tired, going to paint anyway because I need to. 

I probably wouldn't be so tired if I had a better mattress. But finding one in the budget is proving difficult right now. May just ask the in-laws for one for Xmas and have it be like also for our birthday's next year.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Xiwo Xerase said:

The second worst kind of snow is any snow that anyone has to drive in (or through).

Driving a good three feet deep into a six foot tall snowbank (without damaging the vehicle) is how its done right? 

Doubly so if it's to avoid someone flying around a blind corner at silly speeds? 

What do you mean, only UPS drivers do that, I have no idea what you're talking about.... 

Yup, talking from experience.  That was fun to get out of (but I did, after ten minutes of trying calling in for a tow truck, then fifteen minutes of trying since they said four hours o n said tow truck.  Got out, called boss and said cancel tow truck, I got out) 

• Like 6

12 hours ago, redambrosia said:

It occurred to me that this song:

https://youtu.be/IIOubNRSp2c

(Diamonds by Janet Jackson & Herb Albert)

would make a great theme song for a serial killer who turned her lovers into diamonds and wore them as a necklace.

I heard that it was somehow possible to turn human remains into some form of diamond, so I imagine that eventually someone will try this. That person will probably be a Leo. 

As to the best kind of snow, it is packable snow that makes up for the pain in the elf of having to shovel it by being useful as building material for snowmen and temporary fortifications. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

48 minutes ago, SparrowMarie said:

I probably wouldn't be so tired if I had a better mattress. But finding one in the budget is proving difficult right now. May just ask the in-laws for one for Xmas and have it be like also for our birthday's next year.

We recently said words that rhyme with bukkit and got one of those Purple mattresses.

It is WEIRD. But it's a decent mattress. Kinda firm, for what's signed out as 'medium'.

Alternatively, take an afternoon and lay siege to IKEA's 'Dents and Dings' section; I've seen mattresses there, last I was looking for a thing.

• Like 10

56 minutes ago, SparrowMarie said:

Check into mattress toppers.

Memory Foam, 3 to 4 inches thick.  Unless you have a mattress that is suffering from terminal lumps and sags this can be a great help.

If you do have a saggy mattress, a sheet of plywood slipped between the mattress and box spring will do wonders.

GEM

• Like 6

15 minutes ago, Lord of the Dish Pit said:

I heard that it was somehow possible to turn human remains into some form of diamond, so I imagine that eventually someone will try this. That person will probably be a Leo.

Human ashes, like all ashes, are largely carbon. With enough heat and pressure, carbon turns into diamonds. So, you know, it's not impossible. Also, human beings themselves are largely carbon. So you probably don't even have to cremate them first, because the intense heat of the process will take care of that for you.

Not that I'm advocating throwing large numbers of living people into an ultra-pressurized blast furnace or anything...

Also, because diamonds are just a slight step removed from coal, they burn. Sure, it takes something like 900C to get them to ignite, but that's doable as it's at the lower end of what blast furnaces operate at when smelting iron.

Edited by Unruly
  • Like 3
  • Haha 6

28 minutes ago, Sylverthorne said:

We recently said words that rhyme with bukkit and got one of those Purple mattresses.

It is WEIRD. But it's a decent mattress. Kinda firm, for what's signed out as 'medium'.

Alternatively, take an afternoon and lay siege to IKEA's 'Dents and Dings' section; I've seen mattresses there, last I was looking for a thing.

I've considered a Purple, although the new Purple.3 hybrid is more interesting to me...  Sadly not available in Canada yet....  So I might go with the high end Leesa which has a name I can't remember... 

But I like my coil spring mattresses for, uhm, a few reasons.  Individual pocket coils are lovely... 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, SparrowMarie said:

It might sound silly at first, but have you considered a hammock? It was a $60 alternative to a fancy $2000 mattress for my arthritis. I can give you/everyone info about it anyone's interested. I alternate between the hammock and the floor with a few blankets for padding.

• Like 9
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, LittleBluberry said:

I think I spent over an hour last night trying to persuade my Nook to open a library ebook that I'd downloaded.  This worked with zero problems just over a week ago, but yesterday it just didn't want to.  The internet suggested doing all the same things I did, plus uninstalling the software and re-formatting my Nook.  Which I could do, except that it worked a freaking week ago, so why should it not work now?  I'm blaming the time change.  <_<  I'm also thinking it might be time to look at switching to Kindle, Nook is a dying platform and mine is far from new.  

9 hours ago, kristof65 said:

I've been having a crapload of problems with various internet connected devices this week as well.  Daughter's new tablet was refusing to download any of her programs from Amazon, multiple apps on my phone have been problematic, the FB app on all our devices has been wonky off and on this week, my work phone became deregistered from the VOIP server for no apparent reason sometime Sunday, my son's xBox has been stuck in update loops for various games, and several more. :angry:

But at least the Reaper Forums haven't been down...::D:

I got a Cricut Maker (cutting, scoring and drawing machine) a couple of weeks ago. It uses a cloud for the apps, so when it was down for pretty much all of Tuesday I couldn't do anything. And the error messages suggested it was something wrong with what I was doing, not that there was no cloud in the backend...

• Sad 4

10 minutes ago, sumbloke said:

I got a Cricut Maker (cutting, scoring and drawing machine) a couple of weeks ago. It uses a cloud for the apps, so when it was down for pretty much all of Tuesday I couldn't do anything. And the error messages suggested it was something wrong with what I was doing, not that there was no cloud in the backend...

This is the one downside I have with my Cricut Explore One, but it's a way cheaper plotter then other choices out there, so I tolerate it (for now haha)

• Like 3

On 11/7/2018 at 4:41 PM, Xiwo Xerase said:

Does death exist in the fey realm?  While he may have taken to undeath, maybe he wants to use fey magic to return to life, possibly more powerful than he was before.  Or, worse, use fey magic to be more-or-less alive and more-or-less immortal.  "Death-Conquering Pharaoh" would be a nifty title if he is bent on world domination.

Or maybe he's lonely.

Death does indeed exist in the fey realm. More-or-less alive and more-or-less immortal would be a nasty thing to pull on them. He's also lonely.

On 11/7/2018 at 4:45 PM, TheAuldGrump said:

The easiest (serious) answer to the mummy question is that Faerie is a shortcut to someplace else, or, perhaps, there is another evil sun god that hangs out in Faerie. (Balor (or Baal) of the Single Burning Eye comes to mind.)

The Auld Grump - Baltimore is named after a temple of Baal.... The party would never expect to end up in Maryland!

Given that most of the players are skyping in from Baltimore, or it's outskirts... :lol:

On 11/7/2018 at 6:26 PM, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

When the mummy was performing the ritual, was it swiping left or right?

As for the reasons, the mummy doesn't have to contact the fae at all for them to serve his schemes. Merely bringing them over to this side to serve as a distraction can be enough.

I suppose it depends on how lonely he is, and if.. uh... rigor mortis is still a problem. 

If condition lasts more than 4 centuries, please consult your cleric immediately. 

On 11/7/2018 at 7:48 PM, klarg1 said:

The power of the Evil Sun twists lesser fae into horrible half-fae, half-undead abominations!

Hilarity ensues.

I like it. 

On 11/7/2018 at 7:52 PM, eldamir said:

Would those be fundead then?

<_< I mean, yes, but I'm never going to let my players know that's what they're called! :lol:

14 hours ago, Unruly said:

Oh, and what the heck happened to cheap notebooks?

Good question, as I just filled out my Stonehell notebook, and my 5e notebook only has a couple of pages left. 

So the plan was to paint tonight... But then I ended up marching with a couple of thousand protestors from Times Square to Union Square. The things you do on a Thursday night... 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Can't really share this anywhere else because one is a Christmas present, but am too excited not to share.

Been building a pair of 40k style handguns that I 3d printed from files I found on Thingiverse. One is painted in the chapter colors of my Space Marines, the Marines Errant. It will hang on the wall of my game room.

The other is in the colors of my best friend's chapter, the 13th Legion and will be his Christmas present this year.

IMG_20181108_230544.thumb.jpg.97b2e8df88d4691bc6d0d2ae8ab230b1.jpg

So far I've only got them base coated. Still a lot of finish work and weathering to do.

• Like 19

Ha HAAAA! FreeCAD can import STL files and make them solid! Old files are useful once again. If I ever bother with them. But it makes me happy.

And, I did notice that I had Autodesk360, so I popped it open. Then signed in. And watched it crash. So, back to FreeCAD.

• Like 13

13 hours ago, kitchen_wolf said:

Presumably with plenty of nuts?

::P: Historically speaking one would assume that...

But no:

http://www.cloggiecentral.com/dutch-delights-bastogne/

2 hours ago, kristof65 said:

Can't really share this anywhere else because one is a Christmas present, but am too excited not to share.

Been building a pair of 40k style handguns that I 3d printed from files I found on Thingiverse. One is painted in the chapter colors of my Space Marines, the Marines Errant. It will hang on the wall of my game room.

The other is in the colors of my best friend's chapter, the 13th Legion and will be his Christmas present this year.

That's awesome!

FFFFRRRRIIIIDDDAAAYYYYY!!!!

Almost there...***cough*** hang in there...were going to make it buddy...***cough***  I won't leave you behind!!!

As for the discussion about snow, what is the best kind and all...

Just some thoughts..

Spoiler

image.png.7bc16157341ad124a74635a600dac14c.png

image.png.0c66862c5e9823a8cf50d0638f8b7a62.png

image.png.51867b4245d617122a695ab02ee12f36.png

• Haha 12