Froggy the Great

Randomness XIV: THE FLOOR IS LAVA!

On 11/7/2018 at 3:45 PM, TheAuldGrump said:

The easiest (serious) answer to the mummy question is that Faerie is a shortcut to someplace else, or, perhaps, there is another evil sun god that hangs out in Faerie. (Balor (or Baal) of the Single Burning Eye comes to mind.)

The Auld Grump - Baltimore is named after a temple of Baal.... The party would never expect to end up in Maryland!

Hey, “Ba-al” (there’s a glottal stop, sounds a little like saying “bottle” with an exaggerated Cockney accent) just means “Lord.”

All that “Baal” stuff sounds way less sinister when it’s just people talking about the lord god.

um, so I hear ... :;):

(I did research for an immortal Phoenician NPC and may have gone a little overboard. BTW, “Canaan” has the same glottal stop as “Baal” and is pronounced roughly like “kahnna - on.” The Phoenician language was called “kahnna - onim” by its speakers. It was so close to Hebrew that the two are almost like dialects of each other and the earliest Hebrew inscriptions use the Phoenician alphabet.)

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Crowley said:

Death does indeed exist in the fey realm. More-or-less alive and more-or-less immortal would be a nasty thing to pull on them. He's also lonely.

Given that most of the players are skyping in from Baltimore, or it's outskirts... :lol:

I suppose it depends on how lonely he is, and if.. uh... rigor mortis is still a problem. 

If condition lasts more than 4 centuries, please consult your cleric immediately. 

I like it. 

<_< I mean, yes, but I'm never going to let my players know that's what they're called! :lol:

Good question, as I just filled out my Stonehell notebook, and my 5e notebook only has a couple of pages left. 

So the plan was to paint tonight... But then I ended up marching with a couple of thousand protestors from Times Square to Union Square. The things you do on a Thursday night... 

Things like this are why I love this thread so much.

• Like 6

Just received a message from my daughter ( not one of the vixens but my biological one).

Not sure what to think about it.

I will rant now.

Feel free to ignore, just need to get it off my chest.

Spoiler

She has two daughters, first dad she kicked out of the house for being an alcoholic.

They weren't married, but lived together, she feared for her daughter's future and kicked him out after several attempts of getting him sober.

I supported her decision.

I actually thought she was brave to do so.

Second dad, divorced and has a son that comes over a few days a week.

Works in construction.

He has had a very troublesome youth, two brothers and parents with whom he fights and then goes along again.

His father has debts which he tries to pay off.

Son suffers from ADHD which doesn make things easy, but ok...

Seemed like a good guy at first, but then they got married, got a daughter and he joined a 1% outlaw biker gang.

No question about that, I know those colours, the symbols etc...

We visited a few times, and on occasion he was not really there, kind of absent, it took me a while but then I saw the light.

He used drugs..

He got verbally abusive to my daughter and she chose to live apart with the kids.

I supported this and thought, well, this will fade, she has a chance to chose a good path now.

A while ago she mentioned that he had changed, he was so sweet during his visits when he picked up the kids..

They almost never fought anymore.

And she was thinking to get together again.

I was not impressed since he is still part of that gang, I know he has been "called" to beat some opponents up on at least one occasion.

And he is still using.

I have to protect my family from this elfhole, so I told her, I would love to see her and the kids, but I had no intention of interacting with Mr. Semi-criminal anymore.

She didn't take that well at first.

Then called back to tell me we could see each other every now and then without him.

Never happened.

Contact is limited to a "congratulations" at birthdays over whats app.

This has been going on for more than a year now.

Today she texted me that she is now again living with him.

I just wished her good luck.

I don't feel good about it, but I have no intention of allowing this scumbag in our lives.

I have two stepdaughters and a girlfriend to protect, I will not let my daughter's poor decisions threaten that.

I will try to maintain the little contact we have, but aside from that I'm letting it go.

Or at least I try.

I have tried to warn her of that gang as well.

She just sticks her head in the sand, the parties are nice and the wives of the other guys are nice...we had such a nice bbq last time..

We are on very opposite sides of the spectrum here.

I can't and won't bring myself to interact with someone like this.

Aside from that my job also would conflict with such a person.

I know this means I will probably almost never see my daughter and the two little ones, but to tell the truth the last time I saw my daughter was over a year ago. And the little ones almost 2 years ago.

Always hoped this would go better, and I was hoping she would let this guy go when they separated.

Maybe I'm the stupid one here, I don't know.

But I can't handle guys who use drugs, beat people up and are abusive.

She has made her choice, it's her right.

I have the right to make mine.

Sometimes I wished he would run into a concrete wall with his gang.

Oh well.

Sorry for the rant.

I'm fine overall, no worries.

Just needed to vent a little.

Getting it off my chest and move on...

These are the times I'm actually happy my parents are no longer around to see this.

Dear MODS, If this should be too much, move it to the Beekeepers.

Sorry..

Edited by Glitterwolf
  • Sad 20

9 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:

Just received a message from my daughter ( not one of the vixens but my biological one).

I will rant now.

Hide contents

She has two daughters, first dad she kicked out of the house for being an alcoholic.

They weren't married, but lived together, she feared for her daughter's future and kicked him out after several attempts of getting him sober.

Works in construction.

He has had a very troublesome youth, two brothers and parents with whom he fights and then goes along again.

Seemed like a good guy at first, but then they got married, got a daughter and he joined a 1% outlaw biker gang.

We visited a few times, and on occasion he was not really there, kind of absent, it took me a while but then I saw the light.

He used drugs..

He got verbally abusive to my daughter and she chose to live apart with the kids.

I supported this and thought, well, this will fade, she has a chance to chose a good path now.

A while ago she mentioned that he had changed, he was so sweet during his visits when he picked up the kids..

I was not impressed since he is still part of that gang, I know he has been "called" to beat some opponents up on at least one occasion.

And he is still using.

I have to protect my family from this elfhole, so I told her, I would love to see her and the kids, but I had no intention of interacting with Mr. Semi-criminal anymore.

Then called back to tell me we could see each other every now and then without him.

Never happened.

I don't feel good about it, but I have no intention of allowing this scumbag in our lives.

I have two stepdaughters and a girlfriend to protect, I will not let my daughter's poor decisions threaten that.

I will try to maintain the little contact we have, but aside from that I'm letting it go.

Or at least I try.

She just sticks her head in the sand, the parties are nice and the wives of the other guys are nice...we had such a nice bbq last time..

I know this means I will probably almost never see my daughter and the two little ones, but to tell the truth the last time I saw my daughter was over a year ago. And the little ones almost 2 years ago.

Always hoped this would go better, and I was hoping she would let this guy go when they separated.

Oh well.

Sorry for the rant.

These are the times I'm actually happy my parents are no longer around to see this.

The one question I have is this - how many of those conversations were face to face when neither he nor anyone he may know was around? Not on the phone, not texts, not emails, because those can be easily monitored. And relationships with people in organized crime, of whatever fashion, tend to be controlling and paranoid. So she may be unable to speak truthfully.

If you've had conversations in private, and there's no reason to believe she wasn't speaking freely, then good on you. You've done what you can, and it's up to your daughter to make her own choices.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Unruly said:

The one question I have is this - how many of those conversations were face to face when neither he nor anyone he may know was around? Not on the phone, not texts, not emails, because those can be easily monitored. And relationships with people in organized crime, of whatever fashion, tend to be controlling and paranoid. So she may be unable to speak truthfully.

If you've had conversations in private, and there's no reason to believe she wasn't speaking freely, then good on you. You've done what you can, and it's up to your daughter to make her own choices.

Thank you.

Yes I have spoken face to face with her together with her brother ( my son) and we both talked with her.

And on hand she understands our concerns, but in the end she demands that we will accept that she chose him.

So, yes, that's her right.

As it is mine to not want to be associated with him.

Edited by Glitterwolf
  • Like 10

I'm currently debating on whether or not I should buy something from Ikea on Monday. I'm taking my roommate to the airport in Pittsburgh, which is also where the nearest Ikea is. I don't know if I should go, though, because I technically don't have the money to spend and would be putting it on credit. But at the same time, I've been wanting to buy a desk for my room, to use as a hobby station, for about 2 years now and it's always been this particular desk. I just never go to Pittsburgh, and I'm not spending more on shipping than the desk itself costs...

• Like 7

37 minutes ago, Unruly said:

I'm currently debating on whether or not I should buy something from Ikea on Monday. I'm taking my roommate to the airport in Pittsburgh, which is also where the nearest Ikea is. I don't know if I should go, though, because I technically don't have the money to spend and would be putting it on credit. But at the same time, I've been wanting to buy a desk for my room, to use as a hobby station, for about 2 years now and it's always been this particular desk. I just never go to Pittsburgh, and I'm not spending more on shipping than the desk itself costs...

Sounds like a valid reason to buy it now.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Pingo said:

Are the forumites in wildfire territory okay?:mellow:

We've got two that I know of you live in that area. For the life of me, I can't remember their forum handles. I was wondering the same thing.

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, redambrosia said:

We've got two that I know of you live in that area. For the life of me, I can't remember their forum handles. I was wondering the same thing.

It's at least @sumbloke and @Sibling that I know of. You guys okay?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

18 hours ago, Marvin said:

Things that remind me of things around here and that have been edited slightly because they originally were taxation-is-theft memes:

7695ECC9-D09A-4FBE-BFBB-8A872FCF1A29.jpeg.86243178cae8b3940bd899064b9ff65b.jpeg

About 20 years ago, one of the more educational TV channels (Discovery? Learning Channel?) had a zoologist talking about the inherent dignity and grace of gray wolves... Not noticing that the wolf directly behind him had flopped on its back, and was waving it's legs in the air, in a classic 'Rub my Belly!' doggy pose. (He had been following the pack for over a year, and the Omega had decided he was one of them.)

Does that make the zoologist Unaware Wolf?

I would love to see more miniatures for wolves in Play mode. Grenadier used to have one, sculpted by Sandra Garrity.

The Auld Grump - the werewolf charges past the party, and grabs the rogue's boots, before retreating back into the woods, tail flagging....

• Like 1
  • Haha 13

7 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

::P: Historically speaking one would assume that...

But no:

http://www.cloggiecentral.com/dutch-delights-bastogne/

That's awesome!

FFFFRRRRIIIIDDDAAAYYYYY!!!!

Almost there...***cough*** hang in there...were going to make it buddy...***cough***  I won't leave you behind!!!

As for the discussion about snow, what is the best kind and all...

Just some thoughts..

Hide contents

image.png.7bc16157341ad124a74635a600dac14c.png

image.png.0c66862c5e9823a8cf50d0638f8b7a62.png

image.png.51867b4245d617122a695ab02ee12f36.png

-22 C here right now and the first day in about a week it isn't snowing. Only 5-7cm of fluffy stuff on the ground. Predicting another 5cm overnight and tomorrow. Winter came in fast and hard this year. On the one hand I shouldn't be surprised after we had snow in September. Weird because this was one of the hottest summers we had on record. Then the switch flipped and now much colder than normal.

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

4 hours ago, Pingo said:

Hey, “Ba-al” (there’s a glottal stop, sounds a little like saying “bottle” with an exaggerated Cockney accent) just means “Lord.”

All that “Baal” stuff sounds way less sinister when it’s just people talking about the lord god.

um, so I hear ... :;):

(I did research for an immortal Phoenician NPC and may have gone a little overboard. BTW, “Canaan” has the same glottal stop as “Baal” and is pronounced roughly like “kahnna - on.” The Phoenician language was called “kahnna - onim” by its speakers. It was so close to Hebrew that the two are almost like dialects of each other and the earliest Hebrew inscriptions use the Phoenician alphabet.)

It's what happens when another religion takes over - the old gods either become the bad guys, or get absorbed. (The Greeks and Romans were big on absorbing, but not entirely integrating - and sometimes went so far as to allow priests to serve multiple similar gods and goddesses (Hey, grain is important! Never tick off the goddesses of the harvest!))

And sometimes words just flat out change meanings - 'Lust' was just the old Anglo-Saxon for 'Joy'.... Or how Noon (None) changed to mean midday, not three PM, or how Blanc (white) became Black (black)....

Or a secondary meaning becomes the primary.

Sometimes I wish that more could be learned of the root Indo-European language. But... not exactly a lot of written material is left.

Then again, sometimes I am convinced that most people trace their ancestry to the Lost City of Durrr, not Ur.

And how etymology and philology are related disciplines, but not identical.

The Auld Grump - that said, a glottal stop is a terrible thing to do to a language - but better than an inhaled click that is in some African languages. (Says a guy that lives in Maine, and who cannot master the inhaled 'Ayuh' of the fading local dialect.)

Edited by TheAuldGrump
  • Like 4

9 hours ago, kristof65 said:

Can't really share this anywhere else because one is a Christmas present, but am too excited not to share.

Been building a pair of 40k style handguns that I 3d printed from files I found on Thingiverse. One is painted in the chapter colors of my Space Marines, the Marines Errant. It will hang on the wall of my game room.

The other is in the colors of my best friend's chapter, the 13th Legion and will be his Christmas present this year.

IMG_20181108_230544.thumb.jpg.97b2e8df88d4691bc6d0d2ae8ab230b1.jpg

So far I've only got them base coated. Still a lot of finish work and weathering to do.

Wow!! Lucky friend!!

4 hours ago, Pingo said:

Things like this are why I love this thread so much.

Me too! 

3 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

I will rant now.

Hide contents

Works in construction.

He used drugs..

And he is still using.

Never happened.

Or at least I try.

Oh well.

Sorry for the rant.

Dear MODS, If this should be too much, move it to the Beekeepers.

Sorry..

Gotta do what's best for you and yours. Stinks though... *Hugs*

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

you forgot the wolf shaped void against a background and someone looking around "a where wolf"?

[Igor] There wolf, there castle. [/Igor]

The Auld Grump

On 11/7/2018 at 6:48 PM, Unruly said:

You should rename one of the efreet "Daler Mehndi" too. Have him be a playful, but capricious, efreet who will just as soon dance with you as he will hurl giant balls of flame at your face.

I may have been beaten to it - the kids loved the song, and Sam... may steal that name for her Eidolon, now that he is no longer a mushroom.

The Auld Grump - it is such a cheerful song. ::P: Dit, dit, dit!

• Like 7