Froggy the Great

Randomness XIV: THE FLOOR IS LAVA!

30 minutes ago, TheAuldGrump said:

It's what happens when another religion takes over - the old gods either become the bad guys, or get absorbed. (The Greeks and Romans were big on absorbing, but not entirely integrating - and sometimes went so far as to allow priests to serve multiple similar gods and goddesses (Hey, grain is important! Never tick off the goddesses of the harvest!))

Eldest, aka "Red" has just (like, told us about it five minutes ago) been researching some verrrrry interesting stuff about Aphrodite. I haven't seen anyone else connect these dots before. Hmm ...

• Like 8

4 hours ago, Pingo said:

Hey, “Ba-al” (there’s a glottal stop, sounds a little like saying “bottle” with an exaggerated Cockney accent) just means “Lord.”

All that “Baal” stuff sounds way less sinister when it’s just people talking about the lord god.

um, so I hear ... :;):

(I did research for an immortal Phoenician NPC and may have gone a little overboard. BTW, “Canaan” has the same glottal stop as “Baal” and is pronounced roughly like “kahnna - on.” The Phoenician language was called “kahnna - onim” by its speakers. It was so close to Hebrew that the two are almost like dialects of each other and the earliest Hebrew inscriptions use the Phoenician alphabet.)

I had a good friend in college who specialized in collecting dead languages (archaeology major). At one point, he claimed to be one of a very small number of Phoenician readers in North America. (I can't remember the number he quoted, but I think it was under 12.)

• Like 5

One day I'll get better at estimating how much greenstuff I need to mix, or find another way of plugging the gaps in slotta bases.

At least today's hobby session didn't result in me super-gluing my fingers together... 

...Unlike yesterdays.

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, aku-chan said:

At least today's hobby session didn't result in me super-gluing my fingers together...

I always have some finger nail polish remover handy for just such an occasion...

I also keep my feathers numbered...

• Like 3
  • Haha 7

18 minutes ago, Pingo said:

Eldest, aka "Red" has just (like, told us about it five minutes ago) been researching some verrrrry interesting stuff about Aphrodite. I haven't seen anyone else connect these dots before. Hmm ...

Gimmee that old time religion.

It was good enough for Odin,

Though the croakin' was forbodin',

'Til at last the giants rode in,

Still it's good enough for me!

[Chorus] Gimmee that old time religion,

Gimmee that old time religion,

Gimmee that old time religion!

'Cause it's good enough for me!

Let us pray to Aphrodite,

When she wears her see through nightie,

She is really quite a sight-ee!

And she's good enough for me!

[Chorus]

Call our praises up to Isis,

She will help us in a crisis!

And she's never raised her prices,

So, she's good enough for me!

There are about fifty gazillion versions and/or verses of that song... at a conservative estimate.

The Auld Grump *EDIT* Also, I don't think that the Greeks ever had a romance in their mythology or literature that ended well... Aphrodite and Eros were not the good guys and gals of the pantheon.... Wars, murder, madness, and punishments by the gods... they did not love love.

Edited by TheAuldGrump
  • Like 8
  • Haha 3

23 minutes ago, aku-chan said:

One day I'll get better at estimating how much greenstuff I need to mix, or find another way of plugging the gaps in slotta bases.

...Unlike yesterdays.

There are only two amounts of Green Stuff - Too Much and Not Enough. *EDIT* I lied, there is also Crap! I Ran Out!

If you end up with Not Enough, you mix more - and always end up with Too Much.

I think I have managed 'Exactly Right' three times, in all the years there has been Green Stuff.

The Auld Grump

Edited by TheAuldGrump
  • Like 13

I do believe there is some surgery that new managers go through that removes that portion of their brain which allows them to differentiate between reality and fantasy. The shear amount of times this week I’ve been directed to change what reality is has been astounding. 

Oh, and for a good laugh, my daughter has decided her spirit animal is no longer the Pilsbury dough boy and is now Gordon Ramsey. Before you “aw, that’s cute” to a little girl, she’s 14.

My kids are weird. Alexa’s shopping list is filled with unmentionables, and I’m not talking lingerie.

• Haha 8
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, aku-chan said:

...Unlike yesterdays.

For plugging (covering) the gaps in slotta bases I've found that making tape works. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, aku-chan said:

...Unlike yesterdays.

12 minutes ago, Crowley said:

For plugging (covering) the gaps in slotta bases I've found that making tape works. 

I was about to say, but was beaten to it by a ninja hamster! ::P:

Scotch tape works rather well for plugging those gaps. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

Are cats supposed to like peanut butter?  I know my dog loves it but a few days ago I was eating peanut butter and one of the cats started sniffing it. I gave him a little bit on my finger, not expecting him to try it. But he loves it now I have the dog and one of the cats trying to eat my peanut butter. The other cat was offered a taste, but she ignored it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

2 hours ago, aku-chan said:

...Unlike yesterdays.

If you're anything like me, the answer is almost always "mix less", except when doing basing / terrain, where it is "mix more".

• Like 6

26 minutes ago, Flit said:

Are cats supposed to like peanut butter?  I know my dog loves it but a few days ago I was eating peanut butter and one of the cats started sniffing it. I gave him a little bit on my finger, not expecting him to try it. But he loves it now I have the dog and one of the cats trying to eat my peanut butter. The other cat was offered a taste, but she ignored it.

We had one for a while that was fond of honey-covered English muffin. She's long since crossed the rainbow bridge, but she was a red-brown tabby, we told her she was a honey-nut. She did not care. ^^;

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Unruly said:

I'm currently debating on whether or not I should buy something from Ikea on Monday. I'm taking my roommate to the airport in Pittsburgh, which is also where the nearest Ikea is. I don't know if I should go, though, because I technically don't have the money to spend and would be putting it on credit. But at the same time, I've been wanting to buy a desk for my room, to use as a hobby station, for about 2 years now and it's always been this particular desk. I just never go to Pittsburgh, and I'm not spending more on shipping than the desk itself costs...

Would it be a Hemn secretary desk? Mine is about to be surplus, and you could have it if you could get to Baltimore to get it...

• Like 4

17 hours ago, Sylverthorne said:

Alternatively, take an afternoon and lay siege to IKEA's 'Dents and Dings' section; I've seen mattresses there, last I was looking for a thing.

Will have to check this out. Thanks!

17 hours ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

Check into mattress toppers.

Memory Foam, 3 to 4 inches thick.  Unless you have a mattress that is suffering from terminal lumps and sags this can be a great help.

If you do have a saggy mattress, a sheet of plywood slipped between the mattress and box spring will do wonders.

GEM

Mattress topper might work. We don't have a box spring, we've got our mattress in a waterbed base that FIL made years ago.

17 hours ago, Morihalda said:

It might sound silly at first, but have you considered a hammock? It was a $60 alternative to a fancy $2000 mattress for my arthritis. I can give you/everyone info about it anyone's interested. I alternate between the hammock and the floor with a few blankets for padding.

Hmm. This is an interesting idea. Not sure where is hang one or if management would even let us.

• Like 5