Froggy the Great

Randomness XIV: THE FLOOR IS LAVA!

7 hours ago, Unruly said:

Well, I'm in Pittsburgh now. I've dropped off my roommate at the airport, and I've made it to Ikea. I'm now required to wait for the next hour for Ikea to open, because it is currently closed. It's a much bigger store than I imagined.

There's also a Hobby Town across the street. I may peek my head in there as well. I don't know what all they carry, but it says "hobby" in the name so I should be able to find something worthwhile to go with my new desk. I mean, I'm already here, so I may as well scope things out.

6 hours ago, Unruly said:

Nah, the restaurant doesn't open until 11. I'm hoping to be out of here by then.

This one says 11am for the restaurant on the sign, and bistro is "closed until further notice" on the website.

I was going to comment about the restaurant almost always opens half an hour before the store does...  But of course others beat me to it.  So odd that the Pittsburg one is that way, since Edmonton (and Calgary) locations have theirs open early.  Something about how customers stay longer because they've eaten breakfast.  And breakfast is cheap.  Like $2 cheap, $3 with a pop, coffee, or tea.  They're also usually situated so they're just baaarely off the start of the labyrinth, maze, whatever you want to call it...  Because then you won't "feel like you've missed anything". 

Stopping in Hobby Town was not a smart move. No sir. I'm about tempted to bankrupt myself. Oh dear sweet someone save me from myself...

And this is why I am soooo thankful Hobby Wholesale, which is SMACK DAB IN THE MIDDLE OF MY DELIVERY route has terrible parking options that fill up rather quickly...  I'd have spent a few paycheques in there by now if it wasn't for that, or being stupidly busy at work...

1 hour ago, Unruly said:

I did. The "showroom" was a horror show, though. All I wanted to do was sit in an office chair to see how it felt that's all I wanted to do. But there was no shortcut to the office stuff. I had to walk through every other section, following that stupid trail. Like, what the heck, man? Why does it have to be a winding, meandering walk rather than a series of straight intersections?

Once I got past the showroom I was fine. I do surprisingly well with numbered aisles full of nondescript boxes.

Got my desk and my desk chair assembled. Only took me like 2 and a half hours. I will definitely need to more securely affix the desktop to the Alex drawers. The rubber thingies are not very good at all. They're too stiff of a rubber and they're domed rather than flat, so they slide on both surfaces...

Definitely odd, because usually in most locations the shortcuts are clearly marked, and are ACTUAL shortcuts.  Take Edmonton's store for example...  Go up the stairs, turn right (this gets you into the restaurant), go down the second set of stairs, go forward into the kitchen section...  See the pots and pans?  Yeah, right next to the skillets (usually) is the sizable sign saying shortcut.  Turn left, and you're pretty much in the warehouse.  If I time it right, I can get in and out of Ikea for a few small things... In fifteen minutes.  When I go with hubby though, we tend to be closer to 2.5 hours, simply because we go together a few times a year, and we like to wander, try various random things out...  Budget also factors in stopping at the Fatburger or Five Guys nearby for food, and maybe Starbucks for coffee (since the only other option is Tim Hortons, and nope, don't like their coffee).

I'm somewhat of a veteran of the local store though, since I've shopped there so. Many. Times.  That and I figure out where the shortcuts are as I go, because for bigger things I'll wind up going when working because large delivery van, y'know, kind of holds things better than a bus.  And bus drivers get cranky if you come on with giant chair boxes ::P:

If you go back two store designs, when they were still in West Edmonton Mall (in the area now occupied by Ed's Rec Center, as well as... Something else?) yeah, it was somewhat chaotic, but still relatively clearly labelled.

• Like 7

Oh! Yesterday FIL gave me an opal that was his mother's before she passed. She got it from his dad who got three of them during a poker (?)game in Australia/New Zealand whole he was stationed there during WWII. 

It's super pretty, I need to find somewhere that will put it in some sort of pendant setting for me.

• Like 13

I have acquired some of the stuff to make all day pasta sauce with. Also some large tupperwares for freezing leftover sauce in.

However, that 'all day' is not today. It has been moved to saturday. The leftover pot roast will still be good, the vegetables will be fresher, and I won't be starting at 6pm

• Like 8

51 minutes ago, SparrowMarie said:

I've gotten messages on Instagram before without it bouncing to my Facebook but could be something new they're doing. Doesn't make sense but what does with Facebook anymore.

Definitely being cautious, I'm not usually worried about things like this but this one weirded me out enough to take extra caution with it.

It took me forever to discover that Instagram even HAS a messaging system... *shrug*

You know when you have the craving for something, and then you have it, and it absolutely hits the spot?

Fried eggs on toasted hearty rye, with sharp cheddar cheese.

It was perfect :wub:

• Like 13

On 11/11/2018 at 4:09 PM, PaganMegan said:

If the foods go together, then add rice or noodles, and cheese or mushroom soup! Bam! Casserole!

I was in Aldi the other day and they had something that identified itself as "Praline Sweet Potato Casserole"...

I took issue with this - the only ingredients were mashed sweet potatoes and brown sugar... Wikileaks Task Force?!? :wacko:

Mashed sweet potatoes with brown sugar are NOT an elfing casserole, even if you top them with pralines.

• Like 5
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 4

11 hours ago, Froggy the Great said:

-------------------------------------------------------

I have had it up to here^ with these sleep issues and tiny narcoleptic dips i keep getting at my desk in the mornings.  Insurance can't approve my CPAP soon enough.

Love, love my CPAP.  Not being exhausted is amazing.  Good luck getting it soon....

• Like 5

Trying to finally go through all of my Kings of War Vanguard stuff so that I can both take pictures of the really cool resins and catalog everything and see what all is missing. I already know that some conversion bits for some orcs are missing, but I haven't gone through more than half of the stuff yet. It's taking forever. No wonder I never bother with going through my Bones stuff after a kickstarter except to find the stuff I was specifically looking for. It just takes way too much time.

• Like 5
  • Haha 4

28 minutes ago, Unruly said:

Trying to finally go through all of my Kings of War Vanguard stuff so that I can both take pictures of the really cool resins and catalog everything and see what all is missing. I already know that some conversion bits for some orcs are missing, but I haven't gone through more than half of the stuff yet. It's taking forever. No wonder I never bother with going through my Bones stuff after a kickstarter except to find the stuff I was specifically looking for. It just takes way too much time.

Are you kidding? I absolutely loved going through all 3 of my Bones kickstarters. I had the pictures up on the screen (or printed out) and had so much fun putting everything into their little groups... Seriously, hours of fun!! 

Okay, I guess it's time to wrap up this long weekend... *sigh*

• Like 11

30 minutes ago, Crowley said:

Are you kidding? I absolutely loved going through all 3 of my Bones kickstarters. I had the pictures up on the screen (or printed out) and had so much fun putting everything into their little groups... Seriously, hours of fun!! 

Okay, I guess it's time to wrap up this long weekend... *sigh*

I did something similar for Bones 1, but for Bones 2 and 3 I literally just went through to find the ones I was REALLY looking forward to and said "eh, if it isn't there and I don't notice, then I must not care about it much." I mean, for the Bones kickstarters the price per mini is so low that it doesn't matter if a few are missing.

For the Vanguard kickstarter, however, I backed it specifically to play the game and get multiple fully functional warbands right out of the gate. If bits are missing, it affects my ability to play the game. So I'm making sure everything is there.

But I can say that having a hobby desk is a nice thing. I need more lighting, and I've got to get a surge strip to have enough power outlets to run everything. Its a downside of having such an old house that each room only has a few outlets available and they're placed rather inconveniently. I'll also still have to make sure that things don't build up on it, but with it not being in arm's reach as I come inside the house I think that will be less of a problem than it was for the table I tried using before. I think my biggest problem here will be the cats trying to climb on top of it and a general lack of motivation to do anything.

Edited by Unruly
  • Like 10

Made a Costo run today.

While looking for office supplies I ran across OTT Lights, the Executive Model I think, for $29.95.

Seems like  good price.  Is it good enough to make a special trip to snag one before they are all gone?

GEM

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Unruly said:

But I can say that having a hobby desk is a nice thing. I need more lighting, and I've got to get a surge strip to have enough power outlets to run everything. Its a downside of having such an old house that each room only has a few outlets available and they're placed rather inconveniently.

I know this struggle all too well.  There's seriously all of FOUR power outlets in the living room.......  And it's a 15x17' room.  No lights built into the ceiling either....  And the entire living room is wired up on two circuits.

Sure makes juggling two gaming rigs (with three monitors each), audio accessories, lights, television (and accompanying gaming consoles) and everything else I'm forgetting about a rather... "Interesting" time.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, WhiteWulfe said:

I know this struggle all too well.  There's seriously all of FOUR power outlets in the living room.......  And it's a 15x17' room.  No lights built into the ceiling either....  And the entire living room is wired up on two circuits.

Sure makes juggling two gaming rigs (with three monitors each), audio accessories, lights, television (and accompanying gaming consoles) and everything else I'm forgetting about a rather... "Interesting" time.

I'm not quite that bad, as my living room has 5 outlets in a 12x20 room, with a ceiling light. But my whole living room save the ceiling light is a single circuit. My bedroom has 4 outlets, but that's only because a previous owner knocked out a wall and turned two rooms into one. Otherwise each room would have one outlet at the door, and one outlet directly opposite it. Also on a single circuit.

The whole house has just 100 amp service, and I can't upgrade it without tearing out all my walls and redoing them just to redo all my wiring. Because right now it's grandfathered in, but any changes will require a full update to modern codes. So unless I inherit a bunch of money from some as-to-yet unknown rich uncle or I hit the lottery, that won't be happening any time soon. I'd love to be able to do both the total tearout and the rewiring, because it would solve a lot of problems, but the money is nowhere near there.

• Sad 7

3 minutes ago, Unruly said:

The whole house has just 100 amp service, and I can't upgrade it without tearing out all my walls and redoing them just to redo all my wiring. 

I know that even more...  Mine has a grand total of seven circuits on a 60A service..  One goes outside two are for the stove... Two are split between the kitchen and dining room, one is I think three walls of the living room, and the last is one wall in the living room, plus bedroom and bathroom. 

I learnt really quick how to set up all my appliances so I could brew hot water while using my electric coffee grinder..  Or the microwave and Keurig at the same time... 

So can't wait to get a house, but that's somewhat further away than originally planned but oh well. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

Eep! Mom wants to buy me an airbrush & compressor  for Christmas for my minis, and I have no idea what model to tell her. Any suggestions?

• Like 12