Froggy the Great

Randomness XIV: THE FLOOR IS LAVA!

9 hours ago, Unruly said:

You think we don't have carriers all over the Atlantic and the Mediterranean?

What I THINK or KNOW is not in question here.

20 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:

I hope there wasn't a fire or something?

You alright?

No. It was more the curse of working for a governmental organisation.

So, yes. I am alright.

Edited by SisterMaryNapalm
  • Like 9

5 minutes ago, SisterMaryNapalm said:

No. It was more the curse of working for a governmental organisation.

So, yes. I am alright.

Ah..well good to hear you're alright.

Good luck with house hunting then.

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:

Ah..well good to hear you're alright.

Good luck with house hunting then.

Yeah, really annoying stuff. Especially so short of 2019. You simply can't find anything in a regional capital that has a large military Base and a big university.

• Like 7

Today there was a mandatory meeting (which I didn't go to because I was sleeping and my contract says I don't have to) in which the news was broken to us that the hotel will shortly (very shortly, December 18, shortly) be under new management. The firm that held a 50% stake in the hotel is apparently taking over. 

And then there were a bunch of "I don't knows", from what I understand. The only thing everyone was real clear on is that the union jobs are safe (for a given value of safety). My co-workers aren't very good at paying attention or the manager in charge of the meeting was real unclear about what was happening. Probably both. That manager is pretty dang worthless.

• Like 1
  • Sad 12

41 minutes ago, redambrosia said:

Today there was a mandatory meeting (which I didn't go to because I was sleeping and my contract says I don't have to) in which the news was broken to us that the hotel will shortly (very shortly, December 18, shortly) be under new management. The firm that held a 50% stake in the hotel is apparently taking over. 

And then there were a bunch of "I don't knows", from what I understand. The only thing everyone was real clear on is that the union jobs are safe (for a given value of safety). My co-workers aren't very good at paying attention or the manager in charge of the meeting was real unclear about what was happening. Probably both. That manager is pretty dang worthless.

With an important meeting like that there should be notes, or a report.

Ask for it.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

I guess I'm sleepy, since I saw a new thread pop up! Read the Department of Acquisition thread and thought it said Department of Acquaintances. Thought maybe it was for posting pictures of not-so-close friends, I guess.

Dogs have been de-watered, so back to bed for me. Maybe I'll be more awake in a few hours.

• Haha 12

1 hour ago, redambrosia said:

Of course they were unclear! The Lizard People never are open about their plans!

You may want to begin scouting for another job. Hopefully you won't need to go that route, but it never hurts to be prepared. Every place I've worked at that this has happened has gone downhill in a very short amount of time. From my experience the best thing to do when this happens is to be among the first to get out, both to avoid the demoralization and to avoid the competition for other similar positions elsewhere when the mass exodus begins. 

Edited by Lord of the Dish Pit
  • Like 8

8 hours ago, Sibling said:

It is Thursday. You’re on Aussie time Jack.::D:

Silly me. I must have had my watch on upside down...  :rolleyes:

So, there's this old mini up for auction, it's some kind of water elemental, maybe a RAFM or Grenadier or Heritage, that's got to be at least thirty years old...

I figured I'd probably snag it for around $5 or so, but put down a $15 bid on it just to make sure nobody sniped it on me. I woke up to find out I'd been outbid on it. Somebody either wants this thing bad (which may mean that this isn't just a random figure), or they got sucked into a my-precious loop and started a bidding war that blew up out of control.

However, I fully intend to have this figure, and happen to have the extra cash to back up my intentions so I'm going to perform a psychological experiment - let's see if they want it badly enough to shell out $20 for it, lol.

Edited by Mad Jack
  • Like 1
  • Haha 9

2 hours ago, redambrosia said:

Wow, that's certainly some very short notice.

Fingers crossed that the new managers will hopefully operate it better than the current ones.

• Like 9

2 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

With an important meeting like that there should be notes, or a report.

Ask for it.

Yeah,  sent an email asking for a summary of what was said. I might get a response; as I said, the HR manager was pretty useless. 

1 hour ago, Lord of the Dish Pit said:

Of course they were unclear! The Lizard People never are open about their plans!

You may want to begin scouting for another job. Hopefully you won't need to go that route, but it never hurts to be prepared. Every place I've worked at that this has happened has gone downhill in a very short amount of time. From my experience the best thing to do when this happens is to be among the first to get out, both to avoid the demoralization and to avoid the competition for other similar positions elsewhere when the mass exodus begins. 

If we weren't planning on moving next year and if I wasn't pregnant, I might do that. As it is, as long as I don't loose my job, I can manage through whatever BS may come (one benefit of working graveyard, you don't have to deal with idiot managers). 

At least keeping this job I know that I have at least 4 paid weeks of maternity leave, more if the union is successful in getting us paid leave. Most places won't give you paid leave unless you've been there more than a year, and that's if you even get paid leave.

• Like 10

1 hour ago, redambrosia said:

Yeah,  sent an email asking for a summary of what was said. I might get a response; as I said, the HR manager was pretty useless. 

If we weren't planning on moving next year and if I wasn't pregnant, I might do that. As it is, as long as I don't loose my job, I can manage through whatever BS may come (one benefit of working graveyard, you don't have to deal with idiot managers). 

At least keeping this job I know that I have at least 4 paid weeks of maternity leave, more if the union is successful in getting us paid leave. Most places won't give you paid leave unless you've been there more than a year, and that's if you even get paid leave.

I wish you luck, and if you've got the union backing you up that will eliminate or tone down a lot of the jackelfery that new management teams/new owners like to pull. 

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Mad Jack said:

Silly me. I must have had my watch on upside down...  :rolleyes:

So, there's this old mini up for auction, it's some kind of water elemental, maybe a RAFM or Grenadier or Heritage, that's got to be at least thirty years old...

I figured I'd probably snag it for around $5 or so, but put down a $15 bid on it just to make sure nobody sniped it on me. I woke up to find out I'd been outbid on it. Somebody either wants this thing bad (which may mean that this isn't just a random figure), or they got sucked into a my-precious loop and started a bidding war that blew up out of control.

However, I fully intend to have this figure, and happen to have the extra cash to back up my intentions so I'm going to perform a psychological experiment - let's see if they want it badly enough to shell out $20 for it, lol.

So... there's possibly two 'my-precious' loops or two 'must-have' loops going? Either way, seller is probably in a happy loop.

• Like 6

Ugh... almost managed to wrap the current campaign for the kids game last night.

Almost.

About two hours left - including the climactic battle.

We ran a little over time last night - wrapping at 11 for the night.

The kids are very excited about being pirates again - and were kind of unfocused as a result - talking about the next campaign, rather than focusing on finishing this one. (By the end of Skull & Shackles... most of the kids had at least one article of piratey attire that they were wearing for the game. Mostly hats - including one derby - Dain's dwarf wore a derby, and smoked a cigar. 'Goooolllld...' murmured when faced with treasure.)

Need to figure out different Christmas presents for three of the kids - my plan was to paint some figures for their piratey characters - but they beat me to it. (WizKids unpainted, and one Bones from a LtP set. (I accidentally typed TPK set there....))

The pirate party is large - but looks balanced. (We didn't lopse any players this year - last year, by this time, we were down to a much more manageable eight players... switching to Wednesday has meant keeping all of them... that's... a lot of kids.)

Unlike Sam's group, this bunch has learned the importance of having a Bard in the party - and has both a Bard and a Skald. (Erich is playing a Skald named Erik the Bloodsinger.... <_< Not going to give him too much grief - he kept forgetting his character's name in the current campaign.)

A Gunslinger, a Swashbuckler, two Clerics, a (Navigator) Wizard, a (Sea) Witch, a Summoner, a Magus, two variant Rogues, and a variant Ranger.

Some even came with notes on how they will be used together. (The Rogues are a pair, work as a pair, and fight as a pair... and sometimes work with the Ranger. This is the first time that I am likely to see Teamwork Feats in player use.)

Iain is playing the Magus, Sam is the Summoner (with a request for No Mushrooms!), Dain is playing the Navigator Wizard (from the old Quintessential Wizard from Mongoose - updated into an archetype). He has seen my miniature of a wizard with a sextant, and wants to make one with a spyglass.

The WizKids Navigator set - I was planning to glue the stuff on a desk or table, but somehow a lot of it is ending up in the hands of miniatures - I highly, highly recommend the set for exactly that purpose.

wzk73366.jpg

Unlike Skull & Shackles, the party will not be getting a ship at low level - and may, or may not, end up as pirates. (Suuuure they aren't....)

But the Rogues are starting as city boys, anyway.

This is the first time that I have ever been handed a party as a coherent whole.

And, yes, it was Iain 'I call Captain' that organized them.

He wants to be captain again, and did a decent job, so the other players seem okay with that.

The Auld Grump

• Like 12