Froggy the Great

Randomness XIV: THE FLOOR IS LAVA!

I like the look of that steak, a properly cooked steak should almost be able to get well!

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Unruly said:

You would be correct on both counts. The regulator is defective, which is why I'm trying to replace it. Or at least it's partially defective, as the needle sticks and it leaks air. As a whole the compressor has been out of warranty for close to 2 years.

The thing that's aggravating is that regulators should be a replaceable part. They shouldn't be held in with what I'm assuming is some kind of construction adhesive like Liquid Nails. All I know is it took a ton of force to break even part of it, and it was a translucent yellow color when the tiny bit I broke fell out of the joint.

Would it be possible to repair the broken/leaking section with JB Weld, crank the regulator wide open, and use a separate regulator?

I know this isn't an optimum solution but it's  the sort of backyard engineering tht will at least keep you from having to replace the entire unit.

GEM

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Crowley said:

Definitely want to hear how that comes out. 

I learned a lot to implement before trial 2 happens. Most frustrating part was working with the vacuum sealer. I'd say even if this flopped it tastes good, but I'm not putting this in a flop category.  I think I managed some decent coloring and after a few days to finish up in the fridge, we'll eat good.

20190105_134938.jpgIMG_20190105_164052.jpgIMG_20190105_164155.jpg

• Like 21

1 hour ago, TheAuldGrump said:

Trust me when I say that anybody that watched the old French Chef episodes on PBS can accept any number of odd devices as cooking tools.

She also favored a pink rubber mallet over a metal meat tenderizer. ::P:

By all the gods and goddesses of cooking, I miss Julia Child!

Good game last night - and Megan gave us a Superfluous Dire Warning - Agent Blacke, warning us not to trust Drake Argent....

I think... with a small amount of massaging, I can turn Blacke into an intelligence asset for the party.

I am also beginning to suspect that Argent may end up being one of the Big Bads for the campaign - he is a dragon, but there is no way of telling his age - beyond big and silver, we just don't have the info. (Huge size, which does put an upper and lower limit - but we are still under 10th level, so it would just change how dead we are when/if we fight him.)

I am wondering if he helped manipulate events to lead to the Last War - though, given that the King was going nuts...

And Blacke informed us of at least one lie that Argent has told us - Blacke did not seek out Drake - it was the other way around. Which means that Drake has access to classified information that should not have been within his grasp.

Mmmmm... paranoia! One of my favorite flavors! ::D:

Factions known, so far:

Blacke and Seven - pretty sure they want to undo a past mistake

Kytons - I think that they may just be opportunists - somebody opened a door, so they came in and made themselves at home

The refugees from Cyre - I THINK they have ties to Black and Seven.

The Beholder - I think he has just entered the game as a player, but will be back.

Factions unknown, so far:

Whoever sent the monsters to attack us in the bar.

Whoever had the Allied mad scientist artificer from Cyre kidnapped. (And we are STILL keeping his rescue a secret. Even from Blacke, let alone Argent.)

These two feel like political actions - human (or dwarf, or elf, or even orc) agency. Possibly the same faction, possibly separate.

The monster attack may have been a response to Argent's interest in our party - a counter, not a move in its own right.

I am so very glad that Megan has been using the film noir that she has been watching! (I had forgotten - I already introduced her to The Third Man... but she agrees with me about the darned zither music. If anyone hasn't seen The Third Man - we can both highly recommend it - and the complaints about the zither music isn't because it is bad - far from it - it is just downright invasive... an ear worm waiting in ambush....)

Holy crap! I just realized that Drake Argent is the Fat Man from Maltese Falcon! ::o: Megan has even been trying to do a Sidney Greenstreet voice! :;,;:

She did a very nice job of throwing us off the scent when she had us talking to him, naked, in the bathhouse - seeing beautiful young women bathing a naked fat guy was disconcerting....

And if he was willing to let us see him in dragon form, that was almost certainly a distraction as well - which brings up the question: What is he hiding that is important enough that revealing that he is a dragon was worthwhile - and what are .the odds that he will then simplify the equation by removing our variable when the time comes?

The Auld Grump

Orson Welles did a radio series with Harry Lime as the pivotal character.  Very entertaining radio theater, which sort of goes without saying for an O.W. production.

The intro is the sound of a revolver being fired with just a little bit of echo and a voiceover "That was the sound of the shots that killed Harry Lime, but there were many adventures...." and my brain just blew a fuse and I can't remember the rest.

Archive .org has them here:

https://archive.org/details/TheLivesOfHarryLime

GEM

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, TheAuldGrump said:

If I remember properly, from a long ago Julia Child's appearance... Onion soup.

The Auld Grump - the scary thing is when I was looking for the video on YouTube, I only got as far as Julia Child B - and Blowtorch popped up as the top selection.... ::D: And how many blowtorch selections there were for her.... :blink: She also used the blowtorch on hamburgers....

I saw Julia Child and Vincent Price together in Cambridge - in a cafe, talking about PBS funding and food. The images did not prepare me for how very tall she was - she and Vincent Price were nearly the same height - and he was over six feet tall.

Heh, I while I was looking for the video, you were posting... ::P:

The Auld Grump

No, dear. Just no. We are not getting a blowtorch for you to melt cheese with.

1 hour ago, TheAuldGrump said:

Good game last night - and Megan gave us a Superfluous Dire Warning - Agent Blacke, warning us not to trust Drake Argent....

Cut out Wally O'Text

She did a very nice job of throwing us off the scent when she had us talking to him, naked, in the bathhouse - seeing beautiful young women bathing a naked fat guy was disconcerting....

And if he was willing to let us see him in dragon form, that was almost certainly a distraction as well - which brings up the question: What is he hiding that is important enough that revealing that he is a dragon was worthwhile - and what are .the odds that he will then simplify the equation by removing our variable when the time comes?

The Auld Grump

I got that from a webcomic, where a fat, happy necromancer used his nudity to distract the heroes. Fat, happy, and doing STRETCHES.
:blink:

And they never realized that he was a disguised lich. (Not one of the bad guys, but getting more info than he was handing out.)

Something Dugan Something? Been gone for a while, and ended with a whimper. I think the cartoonist started hating the comic. ::(:

Edited by PaganMegan
  • Like 5
  • Haha 6

We need to get a bigger ship.

This one started as a smuggler, fast, maneuverable, but crap for hold space. When we started we were looking more at being privateers, and we have our Letter of Marque and Reprisal.

But we have spent more time being adventurers and merchant adventurers. We need space more than speed.

45 minutes ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

Orson Welles did a radio series with Harry Lime as the pivotal character.  Very entertaining radio theater, which sort of goes without saying for an O.W. production.

The intro is the sound of a revolver being fired with just a little bit of echo and a voiceover "That was the sound of the shots that killed Harry Lime, but there were many adventures...." and my brain just blew a fuse and I can't remember the rest.

Archive .org has them here:

https://archive.org/details/TheLivesOfHarryLime

GEM

That sounds AWESOME!

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, PaganMegan said:

This one started as a smuggler, fast, maneuverable, but crap for hold space. When we started we were looking more at being privateers, and we have our Letter of Marque and Reprisal.

But we have spent more time being adventurers and merchant adventurers. We need space more than speed.

That sounds AWESOME!

So who gets to be Commodore when you acquire a second more commodious vessel?

GEM

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, PaganMegan said:

Have you investigated portable holes? Keep the speed and maneuverability and get extra cargo space (that you can fold up and put in your pocket in a pinch - like when you get boarded or inspected)

• Like 6
  • Haha 3

18 minutes ago, eldamir said:

Have you investigated portable holes? Keep the speed and maneuverability and get extra cargo space (that you can fold up and put in your pocket in a pinch - like when you get boarded or inspected)

We need space that can hold TONNES. We had to abandon thousands of GP worth of prizes, because our hold was FULL! And a bigger ship means a bigger crew which means we could take an entire ship, cargo and all as a prize.

Instead we had to scuttle a living space cuttleship instead of taking it as a prize, and most out hold is full of rescued slaves instead of loot.

I think the Men of Leng sold us out. The brainsuckers knew where we were and where we were going..

Which means Leng is working with the Queen.

Being faster would have allowed us a chance to escape, but an even SMALLER hold. ::(:

I HATE having to make choices like that.

Grump just told me this is our STARTER ship.

That's better. We can sell this haunted smuggler and commission a new ship built to OUR needs.

41 minutes ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

So who gets to be Commodore when you acquire a second more commodious vessel?

GEM

That works too!

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Corsair said:

I like the look of that steak, a properly cooked steak should almost be able to get well!

Agreed.

@ladystorm--That smoked cheese looks pretty good!

• Like 7

So I'm thinking that if I do my learning to airbrush stuff I'll do a WIP thread for it. But I don't know if it will really count as a WIP until whenever I finally start painting miniatures. The first few weeks, if not months, are most likely going to be me just spraying dots and lines on paper as I learn to properly control an airbrush and work on things like thinning paint.

Does practice paper and no minis still count as a WIP if it's going toward the ultimate goal of painting something? Or does it only count as a WIP once I start putting paint to mini?

• Like 7

19 minutes ago, Unruly said:

So I'm thinking that if I do my learning to airbrush stuff I'll do a WIP thread for it. But I don't know if it will really count as a WIP until whenever I finally start painting miniatures. The first few weeks, if not months, are most likely going to be me just spraying dots and lines on paper as I learn to properly control an airbrush and work on things like thinning paint.

Does practice paper and no minis still count as a WIP if it's going toward the ultimate goal of painting something? Or does it only count as a WIP once I start putting paint to mini?

I would consider the WIP to be the development of the skills necessary to airbrush a mini.

GEM

19 minutes ago, PaganMegan said:

And he just started playing Pirate Jenny while what for pizza. <_<

Which version/artist?

GEM

Edited by Green Eyed Monster
typo monster struck again
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, PaganMegan said:

I got that from a webcomic, where a fat, happy necromancer used his nudity to distract the heroes. Fat, happy, and doing STRETCHES.
:blink:

And they never realized that he was a disguised lich. (Not one of the bad guys, but getting more info than he was handing out.)

Something Dugan Something? Been gone for a while, and ended with a whimper. I think the cartoonist started hating the comic. ::(:

Dominic Deegan? I remember a cheerful necromancer in that,  but stopped reading long ago, don't remember what happened to him.

• Like 3