Jump to content

Froggy the Great

Randomness XIV: THE FLOOR IS LAVA!

Recommended Posts

7 hours ago, NebulousMissy said:

Third week of my enforced vacation is almost over.

Last time I had an 'enforced' vacation, it was longer than 3 weeks. It was more like 5-7 years. Course I used a spork and dug my way out in 3.

  • Like 4
  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SparrowMarie said:

I've got all my paint stuff set up in front of me but I cannot will myself to pick up a brush. Headache isn't helping any.

 

We all get spells of this. Do a bit of basing, clean mould-lines, just a bit of anything hobby-related so that you can tell yourself that you aren't wasting time.

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TheAuldGrump said:

Since it is apparently that time of the world that photo storage services act like donkeycaves, as of 8 January 2019 Flickr is no longer offering unlimited free image storage, and has put a 1,000 image cap on their free accounts.

 

And as of 5 February 2019 they will delete any photos above 1,000 in their free accounts. *Poof!* Gone.

 

Buzzfeed had an article on how to do a mass download of all your Flickr data.

 

We have a Pro account, that has unlimited storage - because of these shenanigans, Megan and I are dumping our Pro account like a vat of rancid tofu. The opposite of the desired effect, I do believe. :grr:

 

First PhotoBucket, then Tumblr, and now this - not as outright horrible as PhotoBucket's stupidity, and not as nearsighted as Tumblr's brain fart, but.... Not behavior we will reward.

 

The Auld Grump - I guess Imgr is the next stop....

There are several good reasons as to why they're doing such... I argue it isn't anywhere near the fiasco of Tumblr... 

 

The thing is though... So many used Flickr as a dumping ground instead of what it was designed for...  And Yahoo's idea of "everyone gets 1TB for free!" was a terrible one that just wasn't sustainable.  Also, even with a pro account, your photos were subject to compression, and could only be of a certain size.  Most of those restrictions are now gone, AND the free accounts still get to be able to post using the same benefits - you just won't get to put as many pics online. 

 

It's also the most recent 1000 photos that would be staying, and all the others would be slowly pruned out, not all in one go. 

 

Also, the new owners (SmugMug) are hoping to bring it back to being focused on quality content, like it used to be...  And to revive the community. 

 

 

...Im surprised you didn't comment on this sooner, since the notices were sent out back in November about these changes. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Uh.... I was going to say something... what was it.

 

Oh! Felt bad going through the forums tonight. Finally caught up on the Show Off threads, and the last time I'd checked them was 12/10. Oof.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, WhiteWulfe said:

There are several good reasons as to why they're doing such... I argue it isn't anywhere near the fiasco of Tumblr... 

 

The thing is though... So many used Flickr as a dumping ground instead of what it was designed for...  And Yahoo's idea of "everyone gets 1TB for free!" was a terrible one that just wasn't sustainable.  Also, even with a pro account, your photos were subject to compression, and could only be of a certain size.  Most of those restrictions are now gone, AND the free accounts still get to be able to post using the same benefits - you just won't get to put as many pics online. 

 

It's also the most recent 1000 photos that would be staying, and all the others would be slowly pruned out, not all in one go. 

 

Also, the new owners (SmugMug) are hoping to bring it back to being focused on quality content, like it used to be...  And to revive the community. 

 

 

...Im surprised you didn't comment on this sooner, since the notices were sent out back in November about these changes. 

I didn't notice it at all - Megan is the one who told me about it.

 

Megan almost certainly has far more images in our account than I do - and I still have my old free account from way back when.

 

Mega has accused me of being photophobic.... ::P:

 

***

 

Found out what the fifth player in Andrew's game will be playing - Kevin is playing an elf Druid.

 

The party may not be very combat heavy - but more than half of us can cast cure light wounds....

 

The Auld Grump

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, TheAuldGrump said:

I didn't notice it at all - Megan is the one who told me about it.

 

Megan almost certainly has far more images in our account than I do - and I still have my old free account from way back when.

 

Mega has accused me of being photophobic.... ::P:

Ahhh, that makes sense...  I can see how several who've rather enjoyed it's flexibility would be frustrated with the move the new owners have made, especially if it's a service that's been used for quite some time.  I'd rather they have it so legacy accounts can only have 1000 visible at any given time, as that would at least allow those who have non-creative commons imagery posted to be able to retain their galleries....  But sadly they went about things in a manner that really did stir up a hornet's nest in various communities, and with Tumblr doing their thing a month later and pretty much killing the vibrant communities that were on it probably didn't help.

 

Photophobic...  Nah, I thought it was more along the lines of having a... Ack, can't come up with words for it.  Was going for artsy kind of thoughts, aaand.. Totally couldn't find the words.  "Composed gallery" doesn't feel right for words.  I personally haven't really posted any photos (other than ones taken of miniatures, or a few other things) online since... Wow, probably 2005, come to think of it.  Maybe 2006.  Sure, posting some of the photos I take could probably work, but... I dunno.  I think it's I'm just too darn picky about things, and have difficulty being actually proud enough to showcase my photography, and such a "eh, I'm happy keeping it to myself" attitude could also be because I got tired of the "Oh, you're a dj?  Do you do weddings/birthdays/InsertEventHere" questions that were then followed by weird looks of confusion when I tried to explain there were more types than just mobile djs, and how I very much so preferred the club/rave style of mixing.

 

As for photography, every single picture I've been actually happy with / proud of....  All spur of the moment stuff, or better yet, something glitching (like one of the only selfie shots I've taken, which was caused by my paw slipping and inadvertently switching my mobile phone to the front facing camera, and then when I tried to turn the camera app off, it would up taking a pic - all pretty much within the same timeframe, so a good portion of the frame is blocked by my hand)....  But man, am I one for candid photography.!

 

Flickr is something I'm fairly certain I'll use when I get my camera modified for infrared, but it's also one of the few photography communities that actually, well...  has decent search terms, tagging, and... Is useful for researching stuff. In my eyes ^_^;;;;  But I look at it from a photographer's perspective, which is biased somewhat in favour of the changes...  After reading and thinking a lot on it, anyways.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Long-winded, depressing rant incoming. I really needed to vent, and I can't bring myself to vent to people who know me IRL, so you guys get hit with it.

 

Don't read it if you like yourself. It's just here because I've never actually met any of you. Well, except for one person here. And that was once, at Pennsic.

 

 

 

I just want to crawl into a dark hole for about a month. Maybe longer. The feeling just hit me about 20 minutes ago(as of starting to write this, probably an hour as of posting), and it hit like a Mack truck. It's all too familiar, though. It's the sign that the high I've been riding on since New Year's has gone. I don't even want to watch TV.

 

What I really want is to fight someone. I want the adrenaline. I want the bruises. I want the strain and the exertion. I want to feel the fury, both giving and receiving. And I want it right now. I wish a different friend of mine was my roommate instead of the one that is, because I'd bet money he'd be down for a fight. And we'd fight hard until one of us yielded or we were exhausted because that's what we used to do. And I haven't fought him in probably close to 3 years now, because he moved to Pittsburgh. It wouldn't be a fist fight, it'd be in armor and with sticks, but that's how we fight. We'd fight and I'd feel alive.

 

How I miss it... I thought my switching jobs would help me do it more often. I thought "I'll have more money. I won't be working tons of overtime anymore. I'll be able to actually use my vacation days and go to events where I'll fight my guts out. It'll be great!" But that didn't happen. Instead, it got worse. The last time I put on armor was in June. Before that, it was March. Before that? I think it was Labor Day 2017. And now all I've done is neglect it. It's sat in a giant rubbermaid tote on my porch, very literally rusting and growing mold. And that "more money" thing is true on paper, but it seems like every time I make more money all that happens is I get more bills.

 

Since I got the new job, with the rather large raise, I wrecked my paid-off car and had to get a new car payment. I broke a tooth and had to spend a small fortune on dental bills. I got paranoid about my throat and spent almost as much on scans just to learn that the lump is a neck muscle that's a good 3x the size of the one on the other side for some reason. My property taxes went up a good 15%, not counting the increase in taxes that comes with going from a depreciated 7 year old car to a brand new car. My homeowners insurance shot up a whopping 20-25% with no real explanation. The list goes on. I can only imagine what kind of situation I'd be in if I still had my old job and all these things happened.

 

So I want to fight. I want the rage, and the pain, and the relief that they bring me. Because right now everything sucks, and I feel like exploding. And tomorrow, or rather later today, I'll wake up and feel nothing. I'll drag my frustrated broccoli out of bed, go to work, deal with the same crap as I do everyday, and I'll come home as a dead-eyed husk. Because that's how this cycle goes with me. I feel happy for a little while, maybe a couple weeks. Then I feel this, whatever it is, for a day, maybe two if I'm lucky. And then I just exist, in the same way as the stereotypical Japanese salaryman exists. I go to work, I eat, I sleep, and I might do something else like once every two weeks, but it's never anything that brings any real joy.

 

Yea, I need a therapist. I know. But I can't afford one, and even if I could I wouldn't be able to go because what therapist is holding appointments at 3am? I'm asleep or working during their hours, even the ones who work "nights," which are really afternoon shifts because they're usually closed by like 10-11pm.

Edited by Unruly
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 10

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, TheAuldGrump said:

Since it is apparently that time of the world that photo storage services act like donkeycaves, as of 8 January 2019 Flickr is no longer offering unlimited free image storage, and has put a 1,000 image cap on their free accounts.

 

And as of 5 February 2019 they will delete any photos above 1,000 in their free accounts. *Poof!* Gone.

 

Buzzfeed had an article on how to do a mass download of all your Flickr data.

 

We have a Pro account, that has unlimited storage - because of these shenanigans, Megan and I are dumping our Pro account like a vat of rancid tofu. The opposite of the desired effect, I do believe. :grr:

 

First PhotoBucket, then Tumblr, and now this - not as outright horrible as PhotoBucket's stupidity, and not as nearsighted as Tumblr's brain fart, but.... Not behavior we will reward.

 

The Auld Grump - I guess Imgr is the next stop....

You could try postimage dot org. I've enjoyed their service so far.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, redambrosia said:

You could try postimage dot org. I've enjoyed their service so far.

 

Me as well.

 

@Unruly have you ever considered taking up something like Kendo?

 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:

 

@Unruly have you ever considered taking up something like Kendo?

 

 

Yup. That's the SCA. We put on armor and stick fight in a way intended to simulate medieval combat. That's the fighting I mentioned, that I haven't been able to do in a while.

 

Night shifts suck for everything.

Edited by Unruly
  • Like 1
  • Sad 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Unruly said:

 

Yup. That's the SCA. We put on armor and stick fight in a way intended to simulate medieval combat. That's the fighting I mentioned, that I haven't been able to do in a while.

 

Night shifts suck for everything.

 

Humans are not made for night shifts.

I hope you can find a way to unwind.

Any chance of getting back to day shifts soon?

 

If not, and this might sound a bit weird, but you might want to start taking vitamin D.

We get it mostly through sunlight ( and in small doses through fish and eggs) if we get too little of that we can get sick and/or depressed.

Another solution could be a real UV light.

 

 

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, paintybeard said:

 

We all get spells of this. Do a bit of basing, clean mould-lines, just a bit of anything hobby-related so that you can tell yourself that you aren't wasting time.

This is the reason I have multiple hobbies.  If I'm not in the mood for one, something else will draw me in.  Lately it's been painting dragons but I just got my new lathe so I will probably be cutting pens or some type of bowl this weekend.  I also cut stones, make jewelry, play video games, build model ships (though that's been a while, I think I'm afraid of the current ships rigging) ruin perfectly good yarn (what i call knitting) or play the tin whistle) just something to let my mind roam free.  I also picked up some adult coloring books (thanks @Glitterwolf) to take with me when I travel. 

 

All to avoid being passive because I am pretty uncomfortable just sitting and don't have very many friends to chat with.

 

5 hours ago, TheAuldGrump said:

I didn't notice it at all - Megan is the one who told me about it.

 

Megan almost certainly has far more images in our account than I do - and I still have my old free account from way back when.

 

Mega has accused me of being photophobic

 

I sympathize.  I used to be okay around cameras but recent medical issues have twisted my back pretty badly and now I duck most camera opportunities with almost violent effort.  I am not one to panic but I get really twitchy if I'm in the frame.

 

44 minutes ago, Unruly said:

 

Yup. That's the SCA. We put on armor and stick fight in a way intended to simulate medieval combat. That's the fighting I mentioned, that I haven't been able to do in a while.

 

Night shifts suck for everything.

I can't disagree with you, it's hard to live on the other side of the clock.  I don't suppose there's enough nightshift workers for a darkside community?  When I lived in Tucson there were a lot of companies that still did the classic 3 shift 5day schedule and there were a number of bars and clubs and activities that catered to people on B and C shift.  You might check the directory for an IT nock center near you, they tend to have similar hours to yours and pretty entertaining personalities.

 

 

I can only hope you find your way, I like your style and enjoy your posts.  

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Kangaroorex said:

I can only hope you find your way, I like your style and enjoy your posts.  

Same @Unruly. You're a great person to have in the forums.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tomorrow we will visit the travel agency and see where we will go on summer vacation.

We're thinking about Kreta or Rhodos, we have been there before, but there are more places on those islands were we haven't been.

 

I also want to take my girl to a hotel or city trip in May somewhere.

Maybe Germany or something.

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×