Froggy the Great

Randomness XIV: THE FLOOR IS LAVA!

11 minutes ago, redambrosia said:

It's really cute that WoW put Stan Lee in the game.

They did?

That's cool!

• Like 5

25 minutes ago, redambrosia said:

It's really cute that WoW put Stan Lee in the game.

Awww, hasn't been found yet on Horde side, but data miners found references to a Horde side version of him. 

• Like 5

54 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:

They did?

That's cool!

So far "Stanley" just walks around the alliance city saying "excelsior!", but as @WhiteWulfe says, there's horde and neutral skins for him.

• Like 5

Unruly, GW had some really good advice, do something physically challenging, it gets the endorphins your body craves going. Kendo, boxing, even aerobics! But hang in there!

• Like 5

34 minutes ago, Corsair said:

Unruly, GW had some really good advice, do something physically challenging, it gets the endorphins your body craves going. Kendo, boxing, even aerobics! But hang in there!

I second this. Actually any kind of exercise even walking helps with energy levels. If you have extra low energy levels on cloudy yucky days exercise outside on sunnier days really helps. 

I speak from experience 

• Like 7

6 hours ago, Unruly said:

Long-winded, depressing rant incoming. I really needed to vent, and I can't bring myself to vent to people who know me IRL, so you guys get hit with it.

Don't read it if you like yourself. It's just here because I've never actually met any of you. Well, except for one person here. And that was once, at Pennsic.

Reveal hidden contents

I just want to crawl into a dark hole for about a month. Maybe longer. The feeling just hit me about 20 minutes ago(as of starting to write this, probably an hour as of posting), and it hit like a Mack truck. It's all too familiar, though. It's the sign that the high I've been riding on since New Year's has gone. I don't even want to watch TV.

What I really want is to fight someone. I want the adrenaline. I want the bruises. I want the strain and the exertion. I want to feel the fury, both giving and receiving. And I want it right now. I wish a different friend of mine was my roommate instead of the one that is, because I'd bet money he'd be down for a fight. And we'd fight hard until one of us yielded or we were exhausted because that's what we used to do. And I haven't fought him in probably close to 3 years now, because he moved to Pittsburgh. It wouldn't be a fist fight, it'd be in armor and with sticks, but that's how we fight. We'd fight and I'd feel alive.

How I miss it... I thought my switching jobs would help me do it more often. I thought "I'll have more money. I won't be working tons of overtime anymore. I'll be able to actually use my vacation days and go to events where I'll fight my guts out. It'll be great!" But that didn't happen. Instead, it got worse. The last time I put on armor was in June. Before that, it was March. Before that? I think it was Labor Day 2017. And now all I've done is neglect it. It's sat in a giant rubbermaid tote on my porch, very literally rusting and growing mold. And that "more money" thing is true on paper, but it seems like every time I make more money all that happens is I get more bills.

Since I got the new job, with the rather large raise, I wrecked my paid-off car and had to get a new car payment. I broke a tooth and had to spend a small fortune on dental bills. I got paranoid about my throat and spent almost as much on scans just to learn that the lump is a neck muscle that's a good 3x the size of the one on the other side for some reason. My property taxes went up a good 15%, not counting the increase in taxes that comes with going from a depreciated 7 year old car to a brand new car. My homeowners insurance shot up a whopping 20-25% with no real explanation. The list goes on. I can only imagine what kind of situation I'd be in if I still had my old job and all these things happened.

So I want to fight. I want the rage, and the pain, and the relief that they bring me. Because right now everything sucks, and I feel like exploding. And tomorrow, or rather later today, I'll wake up and feel nothing. I'll drag my frustrated broccoli out of bed, go to work, deal with the same crap as I do everyday, and I'll come home as a dead-eyed husk. Because that's how this cycle goes with me. I feel happy for a little while, maybe a couple weeks. Then I feel this, whatever it is, for a day, maybe two if I'm lucky. And then I just exist, in the same way as the stereotypical Japanese salaryman exists. I go to work, I eat, I sleep, and I might do something else like once every two weeks, but it's never anything that brings any real joy.

Yea, I need a therapist. I know. But I can't afford one, and even if I could I wouldn't be able to go because what therapist is holding appointments at 3am? I'm asleep or working during their hours, even the ones who work "nights," which are really afternoon shifts because they're usually closed by like 10-11pm.

Half our group is in the SCA, Sam's mom is in the SCA, heck, I used to be in the SCA (and have the broken pinky finger to prove it).

There is something to be said for strapping on some carpet, and wearing a Freon canister on your head while beating people with sticks. ::P:

The Auld Grump - Malagentia, Land of the Bad People.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Yesterday I was scheduled to visit five customer sites to update them all - I knew it was going to be a long day, as each site was going to take an hour and a half to two hours to update.  Things kept going wrong. First site took almost four hours, was at the second site five hours because one of those things that went wrong was almost literally catastrophic.  Finally had to leave it only partially running. Normally what went wrong wouldn't have been a big deal - restore a backup, and move on.  But we discovered that the nightly backups have been corrupted for nearly three months now. Got them running on the latest non-corrupt backup we could find while the engineer sees if he can extract the missing information from the corrupt backups. 

If that weren't bad enough in and of itself, the site owner's wife is due with their first child any day now. So I've got to get this fixed and the rest of these updates applied FAST, so that he doesn't have to worry about this after his kid arrives. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 6

3 hours ago, NomadZeke said:

Wow...page 958 and we're not barrelling towards 1000? Y'all gotten mellow :P

its the beginning of the year and they missed the EOY deadline.  now we got a whole year to hit the goal... why rush? :B):

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

Several folks here are old enough to REALLY appreciate this but for you youngsters I will back up in history.  Way back in the early days of computers getting into businesses we ran a program called DOS, yes this was before Windows. A friend of mine worked for IBM and they had installed some computers in an office building in Chicago. The next morning they called complaining that all the information was gone! My buddy went and sure enough, it was gone he spent almost all day helping them re-enter this all, checked and went home, everything in good shape. Next morning, it's gone again! back there to do it all over again, and this happens 3 days running. Finally his boss goes along, my buddy is doing everything right, boss is pleased, they leave. Next morning, yup, it's blank. They go back, do it all again and stay around to check everything. As they finish, the lady working there takes the big floppy disc out, puts it up against the file cabinet and sticks it on with a big magnet to hold it in place! This of course, erases the disc and everything on it! After rebooting and entering, they took all her magnets away from her.

• Like 1
  • Haha 18

3 hours ago, NomadZeke said:

Wow...page 958 and we're not barrelling towards 1000? Y'all gotten mellow :P

We're relishing it, and enjoying the trip. 

That's my excuse.  Sure beats "omg down three drivers at work so it's nuts here" for why I haven't been helping with that much.... :p

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Corsair said:

puts it up against the file cabinet and sticks it on with a big magnet to hold it in place!

Funniest part about this story for me is that not even three days ago a friend of mine shared a FB meme with me with a picture almost exactly like that (3.5" "floppy" on a fridge).  He was asking me if that might be the types of problems I was asked to resolve. 

I got a good laugh out of it, and thanked my stars that the equipment I do tech support for doesn't use any sort of magnetic media. That's by design - car washes have tons of magnetic fields, mostly from pump motors, but also from tools.   If the equipment used floppies, or even hard drives, we'd have a lot more problems than we do. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, TheAuldGrump said:

There is something to be said for strapping on some carpet, and wearing a Freon canister on your head while beating people with sticks. ::P:

Carpet! Freon cans! Man, you really are old! /s

I'm spoiled. I have plastic barrel pieces sewn into cotton duck and a hand-formed helmet made from 14ga mild sheet steel.

9 hours ago, Kangaroorex said:

I can't disagree with you, it's hard to live on the other side of the clock.  I don't suppose there's enough nightshift workers for a darkside community?  When I lived in Tucson there were a lot of companies that still did the classic 3 shift 5day schedule and there were a number of bars and clubs and activities that catered to people on B and C shift.  You might check the directory for an IT nock center near you, they tend to have similar hours to yours and pretty entertaining personalities.

The only night shifters around here tend to be emergency personnel, medical personnel, and bar staff. And we have laws on the books that do things like prevent serving alcohol after 3am. Like, bars have to be completely closed by 3:30. And bars and fast food places are the only places still open after about 10pm.

10 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Any chance of getting back to day shifts soon?

Not for probably another 10 years. I'm low man on the totem pole, and there are only 2 day shift spots at my job. If I switched to maintenance, which I absolutely don't want to do, there are still only 2 there as well. There should be 3 of each, but they refuse to fill vacancies that were made over the last 3 or 4 years because they don't want to spend the extra money and things are going fine without them for the most part.

Edited by Unruly
  • Like 2
  • Sad 5