Froggy the Great

Randomness XIV: THE FLOOR IS LAVA!

Yaaaaaaay my Talon Games order shipped from the Canadian distributor place thingy! 

...yaaaaaay, Canada Post has no idea where my coffee that came into the city three days ago is... 

Thankfully, I like... Work at a place with a warehouse full of coffee, and bought some of it as emergency coffee.. ^_^

Work with three drivers down (two to injuries, one is sick) sure makes things... "Interesting". 

• Like 6

So, I've got a baby inside doing flips and a cat leaning against my belly wiggling around, cleaning herself. Lots of movement down there. Feels real weird :lol:

• Like 5
  • Haha 6
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, NebulousMissy said:

If you're running Serpent's Skull as written, the PCs do find Eando Kline in a cage without pants. Without sword. Without anything.

Otherwise you can glue it wherever. He looks like an adventurer without it. All that stuff he's carrying...

That cracked me up.  I'm painting him for my son's D&D character, so I broke down and just asked what he wanted.  Verdict: sword got glued on.  Beard also got filed off, cheeks got filled out a touch as well.  This is either going to look awesome or odd.  

• Like 13

11 minutes ago, redambrosia said:

So, I've got a baby inside doing flips and a cat leaning against my belly wiggling around, cleaning herself. Lots of movement down there. Feels real weird :lol:

I'm guessing Pingo wouldn't approve of you painting your mini once casting it is complete. :upside:

• Like 4
  • Haha 6

5 hours ago, Serenity said:

Consider your alternatives.  Have you talked to a career counselor or researched careers on your own?  Not a bad idea for anyone who feels stuck.  I bet there are websites out there dedicated to this.

My alternatives are pretty much 0. I mean, the police department wants me to apply, but I have personal reasons for not wanting to be a cop. But that's about the only way that I, a college dropout in the 3rd poorest state in the country, can move up in pay. As it is, last year I made $38.5k(pre-tax) by myself, while the average combined household income in my state is only $44k. This year I'll make closer to $40k, if not over it, because I'll have the raise I got last year for the full year, as well as taking at least 8 hours of overtime per month starting in March. There's no way I can find another job around here to match that. And I can't move, because I have zero savings. But I do have a house that's mostly paid off and a new car that shouldn't need major repairs for at least the next 5 years.

The worst part about everything, I think, is just the complete lack of social life. And that's because of the night shift. Other than that, comparatively, I have it good for around here.

• Like 4
  • Sad 4

19 hours ago, Unruly said:

Long-winded, depressing rant incoming. I really needed to vent, and I can't bring myself to vent to people who know me IRL, so you guys get hit with it.

Don't read it if you like yourself. It's just here because I've never actually met any of you. Well, except for one person here. And that was once, at Pennsic.

Reveal hidden contents

I just want to crawl into a dark hole for about a month. Maybe longer. The feeling just hit me about 20 minutes ago(as of starting to write this, probably an hour as of posting), and it hit like a Mack truck. It's all too familiar, though. It's the sign that the high I've been riding on since New Year's has gone. I don't even want to watch TV.

What I really want is to fight someone. I want the adrenaline. I want the bruises. I want the strain and the exertion. I want to feel the fury, both giving and receiving. And I want it right now. I wish a different friend of mine was my roommate instead of the one that is, because I'd bet money he'd be down for a fight. And we'd fight hard until one of us yielded or we were exhausted because that's what we used to do. And I haven't fought him in probably close to 3 years now, because he moved to Pittsburgh. It wouldn't be a fist fight, it'd be in armor and with sticks, but that's how we fight. We'd fight and I'd feel alive.

How I miss it... I thought my switching jobs would help me do it more often. I thought "I'll have more money. I won't be working tons of overtime anymore. I'll be able to actually use my vacation days and go to events where I'll fight my guts out. It'll be great!" But that didn't happen. Instead, it got worse. The last time I put on armor was in June. Before that, it was March. Before that? I think it was Labor Day 2017. And now all I've done is neglect it. It's sat in a giant rubbermaid tote on my porch, very literally rusting and growing mold. And that "more money" thing is true on paper, but it seems like every time I make more money all that happens is I get more bills.

Since I got the new job, with the rather large raise, I wrecked my paid-off car and had to get a new car payment. I broke a tooth and had to spend a small fortune on dental bills. I got paranoid about my throat and spent almost as much on scans just to learn that the lump is a neck muscle that's a good 3x the size of the one on the other side for some reason. My property taxes went up a good 15%, not counting the increase in taxes that comes with going from a depreciated 7 year old car to a brand new car. My homeowners insurance shot up a whopping 20-25% with no real explanation. The list goes on. I can only imagine what kind of situation I'd be in if I still had my old job and all these things happened.

So I want to fight. I want the rage, and the pain, and the relief that they bring me. Because right now everything sucks, and I feel like exploding. And tomorrow, or rather later today, I'll wake up and feel nothing. I'll drag my frustrated broccoli out of bed, go to work, deal with the same crap as I do everyday, and I'll come home as a dead-eyed husk. Because that's how this cycle goes with me. I feel happy for a little while, maybe a couple weeks. Then I feel this, whatever it is, for a day, maybe two if I'm lucky. And then I just exist, in the same way as the stereotypical Japanese salaryman exists. I go to work, I eat, I sleep, and I might do something else like once every two weeks, but it's never anything that brings any real joy.

Yea, I need a therapist. I know. But I can't afford one, and even if I could I wouldn't be able to go because what therapist is holding appointments at 3am? I'm asleep or working during their hours, even the ones who work "nights," which are really afternoon shifts because they're usually closed by like 10-11pm.

You Sir are a man born out of your proper time and place.

As has been suggested, you probably need vitamin D supplements.

I can so relate to your situation, having worked nights/third shift both in and out of the military and as part of the Original Shield Wall of the Shire of Heatherwyne.

Here's my take:

As long as you are in your current money generating situation you aren't going to be able to participate in SCA at anywhere near the level you want.  This leaves the choice of either accepting the situation, or getting out of your financial comfort zone and seeking a job with "regular hours" that have more possibility of giving you weekends free.

At least, that's the way I see it from the perspective of 60+ years of living.

GEM

1 hour ago, Cyradis said:

I'm guessing Pingo wouldn't approve of you painting your mini once casting it is complete. :upside:

I'm pretty sure these fall into the classification of Pre-Painted.

They do however require a lot of attention to "cleanup" on a fairly regular basis, as they have a tendency to paint themselves.

I'm not sure how useful the Simple Green Procedure for these situations.

GEM

Edited by Green Eyed Monster
added stuff
  • Like 4
  • Haha 4

@Unruly, you're a well written fellow and you have good logical processes. You have strong nit-picky-detail skills, evidenced by being in this hobby. Already a great check list of skills from a random observer on the internet! Ruts are tough to get out of, but I bet you're able to do it. If you wanted to move, and are worried on savings, some jobs will assist with relocation costs. With internet, interviews can be done on Skype too. 

You're a good person and I appreciate your presence on the forums. I hope things improve, and that you find someone to brawl with. :poke:

• Like 8

Well, my funk isn't as bad as I thought it would be today, but today's events also didn't help it much. Two of my friends lost their jobs today. One was an exterminator for a major player in the industry, servicing just about every major hotel and restaurant(both fast food and sit downs) chain in the area, as well as a bunch of large retail/grocery stores. The other is a chemical engineer.

The exterminator was fired for quota reasons, because apparently working around 60 hours a week and having contracts with like 1/3 of the businesses that he possibly could around here wasn't good enough for them. He's out the door already, and has already hit the unemployment office from what he's said.

The chemical engineer was informed today that the plant he works at will be shuttered by the end of the year and everything is being moved to a new plant they just built in Mexico. So while he isn't technically out of a job yet, they're going to start the process of pruning staff as early as next week. With him, he's got prospects for other jobs, some even potentially in the same area. So aside from up-ending his life for a bit and probably having to sell the house he just bought when he took the job a little over a year and a half ago, he should be relatively fine.

The other guy... not so much. He was planning on quitting come August when he was going to move to Rochester with his girlfriend, since she's been up there since July after getting an awesome job there, but this kind of blindsided him because he's busted his broccoli for the company for the last 3 and a half years. And he's like me - a college dropout, except he's also got a bit of a criminal record from when he did a small stint in jail over a possession charge or two.

I'm not happy about either.

• Like 1
  • Sad 13

8 hours ago, Unruly said:

Well, my funk isn't as bad as I thought it would be today, but today's events also didn't help it much. Two of my friends lost their jobs today. One was an exterminator for a major player in the industry, servicing just about every major hotel and restaurant(both fast food and sit downs) chain in the area, as well as a bunch of large retail/grocery stores. The other is a chemical engineer.

The exterminator was fired for quota reasons, because apparently working around 60 hours a week and having contracts with like 1/3 of the businesses that he possibly could around here wasn't good enough for them. He's out the door already, and has already hit the unemployment office from what he's said.

The chemical engineer was informed today that the plant he works at will be shuttered by the end of the year and everything is being moved to a new plant they just built in Mexico. So while he isn't technically out of a job yet, they're going to start the process of pruning staff as early as next week. With him, he's got prospects for other jobs, some even potentially in the same area. So aside from up-ending his life for a bit and probably having to sell the house he just bought when he took the job a little over a year and a half ago, he should be relatively fine.

The other guy... not so much. He was planning on quitting come August when he was going to move to Rochester with his girlfriend, since she's been up there since July after getting an awesome job there, but this kind of blindsided him because he's busted his broccoli for the company for the last 3 and a half years. And he's like me - a college dropout, except he's also got a bit of a criminal record from when he did a small stint in jail over a possession charge or two.

I'm not happy about either.

I am not a fan of the corporate world.  The whole what profit did you make this quarter thing is still killing industry regularly all so a handful of insecure elfholes can get richer.  And enough on that or I will find myself in the buzzy land. 

Sorry to hear about your friends.  If your Chem eng friend wants to move to Wisconsion, I can point him at a job that just opened in our company... at least they won't be closing the plant (our product has a 2 week shipping life, no overseas production possible)  of course he would have to want to move to Sheboygan.  Brrr!

Wish I could help everyone who gets stuck in these situations. I've been there before and it's not easy to remember it's not your fault nor is it anything you did.  I know it doesn't help your day get any brighter either but sometimes helping them feel better makes you feel better too..  

Edited by Kangaroorex
because i sound like a fortune cookie!
  • Like 7

16 hours ago, Cyradis said:

Aww. But I want to LITERALLY throw a dragon (assuming there is a BB dragon someday) at my players. That means if I don't put an eye out, the dragon will end up hitting the floor or the wall. I don't want to damage the dragon. :) 

Note to self: if I am ever in the position to be a player in a game with Cyradis DMing, bring a shield.

• Like 1
  • Haha 11

58 minutes ago, Chaoswolf said:
17 hours ago, Cyradis said:

Aww. But I want to LITERALLY throw a dragon (assuming there is a BB dragon someday) at my players. That means if I don't put an eye out, the dragon will end up hitting the floor or the wall. I don't want to damage the dragon. :) 

Note to self: if I am ever in the position to be a player in a game with Cyradis DMing, bring a shield.

Cyradis crossing the line between a RPG and a LARP. ::D:

Optometrist's office finally solving my broken glasses problem. Got new frames ordered but they haven't come in yet. Was tired of having a headache for 2 weeks because of using an old, out of date, badly scratch up pair so went elsewhere and got some contacts. They didn't have exactly what I needed but got me some much closer to my current prescription than my backup glasses. Only problem is with the contacts is I can't really focus on anything closer than arms length. Great for long distance though. So for the last several days I can either wear my glasses that give me a headache but let me see at all ranges ok or wear contacts that don't give me a headache but any time I want to read or paint I need to wear my visor. My nose is starting to get blisters/calluses from the visor. Hoping I get my proper glasses back Monday or Tuesday.

• Like 9

Unruly, I don't know what your interests are, but @Jasonator has a lot of tips on how to get education on your own.  Might be something to consider.  My oldest son has been having a miserable few years working food service jobs that cause him pain (due to a double hernia repair a few years ago) so he's back at the community college.  It's helping his outlook on life to have the hope of a better job someday, and it doesn't hurt that he's getting the satisfaction of good grades.

Completely unrelated, hubby has been doing a lot of painting this month.  He painted a few small demons plus the big one from Bones 1.  Which is great!  However...  Today we've got a a D&D game and I'm somewhat terrified at the prospect of my poor paladin having to face all those demons!  :unsure:

• Like 8

Porchetta in the oven.

Gratin Potatoes will follow.

Salad is almost ready.

Chocolate Mousse as dessert.

• Like 7

I've decided that I'm gonna have to make my own mobile for baby. Since I can't find one with dragons on it. 

Gotta raise her right!

• Like 16

12 days later the land lord made repairs. 

They are not right, but I am trying to decide if they are right enough I can finish out my current lease...

• Like 5